Debating between c6 z06 and NSX part 2

Thanks to Batman for the tire/wheel dissertation - very informative- so I guess for best results I'll keep the wheels that I have (16s and 17s) on the car for best all round performance. Is there much sacrifice in comfort over the OEM wheels?

BTW - nice wheels on your NSX. I'll have pics of mine shortly once I get my car - hopefully this weekend!!!!!

Are we far enough off topic yet? LOL

The 16/17 wheels I had gave a firm but comfy ride that communicated the road, but not at a premium of comfort.......

But once u experience massive HP and TQ for a daily driven car with creature comports like my GTO, u might understand why the NSX was demoted to Garage Queen status.

I suspect if you're preferring a supercharged GTO over the NSX, then the NSX wasn't the right car for you from the start. Have you ever driven it on the track or are you strictly a stoplight superstar?

CTSC NSXs have been known to blow up. that and taking the NSX on high speed turns where there are oil starvation issues have made me lean towards the Z06, which delivers more HP and HP: weight than a CTSC NSX and get better MPGs.

The CTSC NSX is completely reliable and near bulletproof with the standard (non-high boost) pulley, based on nearly every possible account I've read. The oil starvation issue has been documented in long, high G sweepers, especially on non-street R compounds or other very sticky tires. This is also a documented issue on the Z06, and in fact, for 2009 GM upgraded the oil capacity and pump to address these issues.

Last edited:
I think with CTSC and short gears with 4.23 ring and pinion.....the car will be definitely what the zip the NSX is missing for some of you guys.

I feel the same way that the NSX is an awesome car, but its an 18 year old car.

So what though I wanted one and I didn't buy it for the HP factor.

Just like the Ferarri 355.....it may not be the quickest car out there, but it sure is nice to see, drive and hear it on the road......and I wouldn't mind owning one.

They were nice cars for their era.......I mean heck people are still comparing NSX to modern cars with all the hp and technology that they have.......doesn't that say something?

To the OP I think you should go drive both and just choose one.

Also if you get a chance to ride in a modded NSX with some decent HP I would suggest that too.....then you can make a decision.

Only thing is that its not cheap to mod the NSX, but once you get there the reward is worth it.

So Ediddy I guess you have a modded with SC NSX? I believe that folks looking to soup up their NSXs are putting way too much money in their cars and money they'll never recoup.

Why would anyone spend 10k on SC when you'll never get it back! That is crazy. Go out and buy a Vette. If you have that kind of money why are you fooling with an NSX - just go buy an Enzo.

This SC stuff is making me tired. The predominance of owners of the NSX do not, I repeat, do not feel the need for more speed by way of a SC which will ultimately if driven hard affect engine life - NO DOUBT. It may not blow up, but some surely have. Why run the risk. Listen why is it people can't be happy with what they have - the NSX is a great machine OEM - GREAT! Some might even say perfect untill they drive a GTO or Vette or Viper - I mean what's that mean - they are completely different cars.

There is so much more to keeping an NSX than trying to turn it into something it's not. I would never have modded mine if it hadn't come with mods which I didn't pay for in the sale price I assure you. But a header and exhaust system is hardly earth shattering for performance. It may just make it breath better - that's about it. I'm fine with that.

Also if you TC or SC your NSX expect higher maintenance costs too! That's a given. For daily driving what difference is it going to make having a SC - you'll most likely never really use it.

Anyway, I believe that this thread has tanked out- bombed- is done or I'm done.

Thanks for the fun though, let's start a new one,

Tim

I suspect if you're preferring a supercharged GTO over the NSX, then the NSX wasn't the right car for you from the start. Have you ever driven it on the track or are you strictly a stoplight superstar?

The CTSC NSX is completely reliable and near bulletproof with the standard (non-high boost) pulley, based on nearly every possible account I've read. The oil starvation issue has been documented in long, high G sweepers, especially on non-street R compounds or other very sticky tires. This is also a documented issue on the Z06, and in fact, for 2009 GM upgraded the oil capacity and pump to address these issues.

The GTO came after the NSX.

Whatever standard pulley the CTSC comes with wasn't enough power for me. Driven a couple and they were all slower than the FD and GTO.

I don't race often from the stoplight since I spend more time with no traction through 3rd in a cold night. Cars and even bikes usually give up when they see tire spin through 3 gears and the intimidating sounds of a blower on a 6 liter V8 with X-pipe, headers and an open exhaust. In the back of their mind they are fearing what will happen once the car hooks up. Most of my races are on the freeway from a roll. It's the sorta race where the person really has no room to make excuses that he didn't get the right launch, Geico *insert small animal* jumped in his way, etc.

No I haven't taken the NSX to the track in fear that something bad will happen to it, regardless of fault. I've taken the FD and doubt that the NSX would even be able to touch it without making more than 450rwhp. Never had oil starvation issues with the FD.

Acura had more years to address the oil starvation issues. Why they didn't design that in the first place is another topic.

My goal was to experience today's 600hp supercars acceleration numbers and I have.

Not going to happen with the NSX, even with a CTSC. Life starts in 500rwhp at least......

Last edited:
Ah Tim... giving up so soon... :rolleyes:

Batman... that car you posted that your NSX was mistaken for earlier (I didn't copy it here, not wanting to take up the space).

A coworker mentioned to one of the bosses that I had a NSX. The boss wasn't sure what an NSX was, so my coworker said it looks like a Honda Prelude. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I didn't say anything... I did tell my wife though... she said my coworker was nutz.

That is the only time it has been mistaken as such though... normally people will ask if it is a Ferrari or a Corvette. As mentioned previously, Honda/Acura didn't do such a great job marketing the NSX. Most people don't even realize Honda made such a sports car.

It must be about time the OP tells us what ended up in his garage.....

the reason why everyone talks about added hp is because the chassis can easily handle another 100 hp. if money was an issue my ideal set is 3.3 liter stroker kit with cams and individual throttle bodies and possible be able to rev to 9k. now that would be a sick ride.

So Ediddy I guess you have a modded with SC NSX? I believe that folks looking to soup up their NSXs are putting way too much money in their cars and money they'll never recoup.

Why would anyone spend 10k on SC when you'll never get it back! That is crazy. Go out and buy a Vette. If you have that kind of money why are you fooling with an NSX - just go buy an Enzo.

This SC stuff is making me tired. The predominance of owners of the NSX do not, I repeat, do not feel the need for more speed by way of a SC which will ultimately if driven hard affect engine life - NO DOUBT. It may not blow up, but some surely have. Why run the risk. Listen why is it people can't be happy with what they have - the NSX is a great machine OEM - GREAT! Some might even say perfect untill they drive a GTO or Vette or Viper - I mean what's that mean - they are completely different cars.

There is so much more to keeping an NSX than trying to turn it into something it's not. I would never have modded mine if it hadn't come with mods which I didn't pay for in the sale price I assure you. But a header and exhaust system is hardly earth shattering for performance. It may just make it breath better - that's about it. I'm fine with that.

Also if you TC or SC your NSX expect higher maintenance costs too! That's a given. For daily driving what difference is it going to make having a SC - you'll most likely never really use it.

Anyway, I believe that this thread has tanked out- bombed- is done or I'm done.

Thanks for the fun though, let's start a new one,

Tim

First of all I don't have a ctsc.....but I have debated on stroker or turbo. I have bought my car over twice already with modding and addressing replacing oem parts.

People like me don't care about recouping costs because I don't plan to sell mines.

We do it to add to an extension of our personality and the fact we are enthusiasts.
How many ctsc have you heard blowing up? Not very much if any, ever since they been out for many years.

Its the same thing as why batman has modded his gto and rx7....he does it because he wants more....and the nsx is capable of a lot more.....at least 200hp more and being very reliable...assuming you don't have a hack of an owner.

I don't think you should be really knocking for people who mod their cars....just like I don't knock people who want to be oem.

Sure modding the car will reduce engine life on a stock motor depending if you hammer it a lot. But there is a lot of people out there with modded cars that last a very long time still.

Did you know they are making a twin charger for the enzo?

Talk about people who want more eh? And I would imagine that's gonna cost more than 10k.....

Last edited:
Funny thing happened to me one day.

I was getting out of my NSX, a guy (probably 50+) walked by, looked at the car admiringly, and said "man, they make those look more like Corvettes everyday..."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that in about 15 more years it will probably look EXACTLY like a new Corvette....

True story!

;)

Great story Craig. That's the truth of it. And they say that the NSX wasn't a trend setter!

Ok, now I want to apologize to any modd dude out there that may be thinking I'm overly critical of modding the car for more speed. Sorry.

Now with that said I will still stand behind the idea that additional stress on an engine due to SC or TC is gonna shorten the life cause - like Batman said it's addicting - speed and therefore using the "loud" pedal = stress= shortened life. Now who wouldn't be setting the car on the road and the road on fire using his new SC mmmmmm, I doubt any. How often and how much stress - let's put it this way - when you were looking - how many of you were looking for an NSX that already had an SC????? I bet not many. The guy that just recently bought one and it blew up on him - it doesn't take but one in recent memory to set the tone for why you don't buy one already SC'd - right - can I get an amen here.

So I say if you "never" plan on selling your car then have at it cause it will surely hinder the sale if you ever do. When I was looking there was a guy on Prime selling his and it had had a SC on it but the owner took it off and sold it cause he knew he wouldn't recoup the bucks - but he did by pulling it off - at least 75% of it. It still was difficult to sell the car and he took less for it than he would have had it never had an SC.

That's the only concern I'd have. You see I don't plan on selling mine - but you never know what will happen - unless you are a "fortune" teller!!! Ain't too many around are there.....didn't think so. So be prepared and maybe you have so much cash that it doesn't matter - and that's a great position to be in.

The end, be happy with what you have,

Tim

But once u experience massive HP and TQ for a daily driven car with creature comports like my GTO

LOL This is the Batman quote I was waiting for! Took him much longer than usual to say it though:confused:

Adverse to massive HP & TQ?

Eh it's ok every once in awhile. Never understood the need for massive amounts of either. Had it in my modded Z and it was nice when I was a kid. I guess I just out grew it. Every once in awhile I'll floor the AMG and the power is nice but MB trannys suck.

I have a NSX with 183k miles on it; 120k with a CTSC and short gears with 4.23 ring and pinion. When they ask for it, I spank 99% of cars that I come up against, straight line and canyon carving. I flog it every day to and from work, rain or shine...no issues except normal wear and tear items. I live to drive it!

My buddy has a beautiful 650hp [pump] Supra that kicks ass....but he hardly drives it...

Am I a HP junkie? You betcha! But, I love the handling and the day to day drivability of my X. Turbocharging the X runs through my head weekly, usually after cruising with my buddy; but after 4 years and 120k miles of s/c bliss; with no issues?

I think I'll keep her:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
I have a NSX with 183k miles on it; 120k with a CTSC and short gears with 4.23 ring and pinion. When they ask for it, I spank 99% of cars that I come up against, straight line and canyon carving. I flog it every day to and from work, rain or shine...no issues except normal wear and tear items. I live to drive it!

My buddy has a beautiful 650hp [pump] Supra that kicks ass....but he hardly drives it...

Am I a HP junkie? You betcha! But, I love the handling and the day to day drivability of my X. Turbocharging the X runs through my head weekly, usually after cruising with my buddy; but after 4 years and 120k miles of s/c bliss; with no issues?

Is this you:biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_VcESSN0Nw&feature=related

Rob, so glad to hear my baby is doing well....:smile:

glad she went to a great owner.:cool:

I am on the look out for #3:tongue:

i'm still here, THe OP. reading all your posts and leaning toward the NSX. Been test driving both. will let all you folks know when that time arrives.:biggrin:

Enlighten me.

Gen 4 Viper?

Last I heard is that the current is Gen 2.

Gen 1 - 92-95
Gen 2 - 96-02
Gen 3 - 03-07 - 500HP SRT-10
Gen 4 - 08-09 - 600HP SRT-10 (supposed "reaction" to C6 Z06 - pretty good reaction :D )

Gen 4 = BUH BYE to anything from GM... Bye Z06! Bye ZR1.

The Viper is just a more visceral car than the Vette and more exciting in every way. When I owned a Vette, at least I accepted this and felt that the creature comforts were worth the trade off since my Vette was a near daily driver. Most Vette guys are in pretty serious denial though (or locked into "DODGE SUCKS!!!!" as if GM is somehow better)

Now that these cars are a third car for me, I feel there is really no reason to own any Vette that isnt a classic unless its a GREAT deal.

As for Rusty75, he is on the Vette forum with the same thread. Ive been a member there longer than Ive been a member here and I see the thread. He was "leaning towards the Z06" but hasnt decided and hasnt posted in over a week.

I think a great example of YMMV in all of this, Batman, is you arguing that the FD is a more reliable and safer to run track car than the NSX :D But let me not get a "FD reliability" pissing contest going. I know already it will go nowhere and probably 10% of the entire space of the internet has already been dedicated to the "reliability" of the FD. Usually its everyone on earth impuning it and the FD faithful going down fighting :)

EDIT: Rusty75 must have been posting as I was! /wave

Last edited:
Gen 1 - 92-95
Gen 2 - 96-02
Gen 3 - 03-07 - 500HP SRT-10
Gen 4 - 08-09 - 600HP SRT-10 (supposed "reaction" to C6 Z06 - pretty good reaction :D )

Gen 4 = BUH BYE to anything from GM... Bye Z06! Bye ZR1.

THANK YOU, when i explained that to BATMAN he thought it was on crazy pills. Like i said, according to my logic the nsx still has only one gen with minor changes thru out the years.

These gens was from Dodge themselves no us. I would challenge BATMAN to go buy a gen 2 viper if he thinks that is what the SRT10's are. He would would end up with the fixed off ones clown shoe looking one.

since he did not reply to me thought i though that he acknowledged it and just didn't feel like bring it up.

I do agree with BATMAN on most fronts thought, in todays world if your not hitting 120+ mph in the 1/4 your car is not part of the elite anymore. luckily i live in nyc and it is absolutely impossible to take advantage of that power with the crappy roads, insane amount of cars and an insane amount of cops. so for now only wish for additional 50hp instead of a full 200.

I do agree with BATMAN on most fronts thought, in todays world if your not hitting 120+ mph in the 1/4 your car is not part of the elite anymore. luckily i live in nyc and it is absolutely impossible to take advantage of that power with the crappy roads, insane amount of cars and an insane amount of cops. so for now only wish for additional 50hp instead of a full 200.

THIS is the key! Its bench racing at this point... How many people can take their Z06, ZR1 or Gen 4 Viper to Englishtown and put up an 11.7?

To me, if you cant do that, you're full of **** when you say you "need" the power.

Something like 800+ SRT-10s have been totalled (an INSANE number given the VERY low production) by supermen who "need" that power.

Its BS. As evidenced by the horrific record of these cars on the road (NOT the cars fault), most of the people who buy them cant even keep them on the freakin road much less exploit the "450+ to the GROUND"

Its getting like the import dyno queens that make 99% of their 1100HP in the last 2% of their curve so the owner can say "IM IN THE 1000HP CLUB!!!"

Personally, I feel that there IS a such thing as "fast enough". I put the C5 Z06, NSX 3.2L, Lotus Esprit V8, 911TT, F355, etc in this category. The NSX benefits nicely from the CTSC to put it more squarely in the middle of this pack rather than at the edges. This new generation of street legal Formula 1 cars is interesting, but I hardly would consider it "necessary" to play that game in order to be taken seriously. A true drivers car almost needs to AVOID that game as I feel that kind of power becomes too hard to drive.

Nice to see you online Mark! Holla when you get a chance. 424-354-0635

Rob, so glad to hear my baby is doing well....:smile:

glad she went to a great owner.:cool:

I am on the look out for #3:tongue:

THIS is the key! Its bench racing at this point... How many people can take their Z06, ZR1 or Gen 4 Viper to Englishtown and put up an 11.7?

To me, if you cant do that, you're full of **** when you say you "need" the power.

Something like 800+ SRT-10s have been totalled (an INSANE number given the VERY low production) by supermen who "need" that power.

Its BS. As evidenced by the horrific record of these cars on the road (NOT the cars fault), most of the people who buy them cant even keep them on the freakin road much less exploit the "450+ to the GROUND"

Its getting like the import dyno queens that make 99% of their 1100HP in the last 2% of their curve so the owner can say "IM IN THE 1000HP CLUB!!!"

Personally, I feel that there IS a such thing as "fast enough". I put the C5 Z06, NSX 3.2L, Lotus Esprit V8, 911TT, F355, etc in this category. The NSX benefits nicely from the CTSC to put it more squarely in the middle of this pack rather than at the edges. This new generation of street legal Formula 1 cars is interesting, but I hardly would consider it "necessary" to play that game in order to be taken seriously. A true drivers car almost needs to AVOID that game as I feel that kind of power becomes too hard to drive.

I'm not interested in the 1000HP+ club. For the GTO, up to 700 is nice (don't mind having a little more umph in my 4th and 5th gears).

I've had 300k miles of driving experience with cars making 6lbs/1HP ratios, starting with the FD. It's gotten to the point where it feels second hand. Most people that have been accustom to NSX power and spineless TQ will probably result in the people that u have in mind when it comes to HP and handling it.

At the end of the day HP (like any power) is like $$$. Good to have alot on tap, but u don't have to spend it all............

At the end of the day HP (like any power) is like $$$.

you can get an amazing Pontiac G8 that comes with the 6.2L LS3 V8 (415 hp) for cheap, NEW with warranty!!
:)

Back