Debating between c6 z06 and NSX part 2

Hard call but I know when I had my Imola NSX I had guys in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's stopping me to chat...that says something. I don't think you'd see these same guys stopping Z06 owners :wink:

I must say that "blacked out" vette looks mean and badass. However a +02 NSX in black with the same treatment would also have the same effect.:biggrin:

Last track event, where there are plenty of very nice cars including Ferraris and Lambos... and tons of Vettes including Z06's.... no less than 8 people came and gave me the highest praise for my NSX including some of the instructors. "I never get tired of seeing this car" and "I've always loved the NSX"... all sorts of questions. There is an Elise to my left and an Audi RS4 to my right, a yellow Z06 in front, and a Gallardo 3 cars down... and all anyone wanted to do was to come and talk about my car. When they see the blower their eyes pop out. I cannot believe how much love this car gets...

I remember having the same decession 3 years ago.
Z06, lotus exige, Porsche 911, NSX.

It's a tough call. The thing that killed the Z06 for me is the image. I see so many kids/chicks/old people/etc driving the base model C5 corvettes, the C5 Z06 and the base C6s that it's just kind of weird IMO. I even see highschool kids driving them. There's actually a C5 I see everyday that has a lightning bolt painted on the side of it!!! Not to be elitist, but I didn't want to be part of them. Add in the depreciation they have, the cost of tires, the reliabality, etc, etc and it fell off the list.

All that said, I drove probably 5 Z06s and 3 NSXs back to back over the period of about 9 months before I broke the tie in my mind. The Z06 is a wicked wicked car.

Whichever you pick, you're going to be happy. That's the good news.

I find it funny that when the OP mentioned specifically about the Z06, people like to make a blanket statement about how it's a vette and a dime a dozen, etc.

The OP is not talking about a regular vette which is not as sexy as the Z06.

It's amazing what flared out fenders along with a wider stance and wheels/tires will do for any car, in this case, the C6.

2 of my ex-GFs said that the NSX face looks soooo '90's

They both saw a C6 Z06 and thought that it was sexier and more updated. As a matter of fact, one of them thought that it was in the price point of a 360 (headlights looking simliar).

In a NSX ONLY honda/acura guys will respect it. Everyone else will try to race u knowing that the NSX has no balls by today's sport cars standards.

People respect the Z06 power and it's ability to handle and brake as well.

If road-respect is what u want to command - C6 Z06.

fli7027xb2.jpg

geigercars_de-corvette-z06-black-edition-01.jpg

DSC_6938.JPG

DSC_6928.JPG

DSC_6930.JPG

Look at a 91 corvette and compare it to the NSX. :tongue:
Is this how the new Z06 is going to look to us when everyone is driving a C8 or C9? (if those cars even ever exist)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1991-chevrolet-corvette-3.jpg
    1991-chevrolet-corvette-3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 817
I find it funny that when the OP mentioned specifically about the Z06, people like to make a blanket statement about how it's a vette and a dime a dozen, etc.

The OP is not talking about a regular vette which is not as sexy as the Z06.

It's amazing what flared out fenders along with a wider stance and wheels/tires will do for any car, in this case, the C6.

2 of my ex-GFs said that the NSX face looks soooo '90's

They both saw a C6 Z06 and thought that it was sexier and more updated. As a matter of fact, one of them thought that it was in the price point of a 360 (headlights looking simliar).

In a NSX ONLY honda/acura guys will respect it. Everyone else will try to race u knowing that the NSX has no balls by today's sport cars standards.

People respect the Z06 power and it's ability to handle and brake as well.

If road-respect is what u want to command - C6 Z06.

I see absolutely no *significant* visual difference between the C6 Z06 and the plain vanilla C6. And I'm a Vette guy in many ways! The Z06 is to the Vette as the 911TT is to the 911. 99.9999% of the population think its the regular one and there are 10's of thousands of those. Your ex girlfriends would say the same thing about the regular C6. And really, who cares what chicks think honestly? They might in the next breath point at a Honda S2000 or Miata and say "now THATS hot!!!" (no disrespect to any genuine car ladies here... statements dont apply to you :D) Point is any non car person is making a SNAP judgement, not really thinking about it, on what they think "looks cool". And they are fickle. Personally, I think the Corvette design is increasingly more bloated and ugly.

Ive owned all of these cars... Vette, NSX and 911. The experience of driving them is totally different. In the NSX you get interest from everyone. The statement above about Ferrari and Lambo guys, and genuine race enthusiasts, showing great interest in the NSX is very true. The NSX is considered an exotic. It was a game changer and Honda made a strong statement with it.

Corvette is an icon, but its a super high production American car at this point. In small towns across America Im sure people salute it. The NSX is a historic curiosity though and is considered the pinnacle of engineering from its time.

The fact that a thread like this can even EXIST says something. The NSX was designed in like 1988 and we're actually having PAGES here comparing it to a >>>> C6 <<<< Vette.

How is that 1988 C4 holding up?

As for "road respect"... No disrespect, but I think the average NSX owner really doesnt care about that. Do you think a Ferrari 308 or Porsche 964 or Jag E-Type or even Corvette split window owner cares about "road respect"?

The NSX has become a classic really. It ceased to exist almost 5 years ago and its last update was 12 years ago. It was the first and only Japanese exotic. It is now esssentially a collectible and was *never* a drag racer BS muscle car. It *always* commanded respect at the race track and always will.

I mean if you want to talk about "road respect", buy a used gen 2 Viper...

It is meaner and badder than the fundamentally boring C6 Z06 (talking just overall "image" here) in every way. Mod it lightly and it will outperform it. The whole planet thinks its cooler and it actually is the only American exotic besides the Ford GT. On top of that it will be cheaper.

Once the C6 Z06 is approaching the $30s (maybe 2-3 more years), then sure, why not. But at *any* kind of a price premium? I wouldnt do it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I took my essentially stock NSX to a Z car show, which featureds all sorts of Z's--including the first ever exported from factory to modern day modded out ones. There were some other modded Japanese cars--Supra, etc. Of course I am biased, but the stock NSX was still the most stunning one there. As soon as I pulled up, lots of people started snapping up pics and surrounded it.

The first car I ever owned was a 78 Datsun 280Z, hand-me down and I have friends who have owned the newer one and some of the modded ones were sick. Later on, I was at Best Buy and lots of neck snappage in the parking lot. At night, went out for some sushi--and the first thing I enter by a waitress--"what kind of car is that?" And the waitstaff was already debating what it was before I got in (don't think they knew). This on top of, the regular looks on the road.

The car continues to look like an exotic. To some the added attention might not be desirable, but it is what it is. Timeless.

To the would be maybe possibly owner of an NSX,

Why do you want someone to talk you into something that is this rare. There were only 8600 or so shipped to the US. It's not only rare but it's amazing that a car like the NSX was even built! You can get a vette anytime, they are all over the place. They have fibre glass bodies - the NSX is all aluminum - it actually takes a real craftsman to put it together. Hand built - not automoton built. Personally crafted for fit by the best mechanics working for Honda at the time - you had to have 10 years experience with Honda to even be considered for a position to work in the plant. We aren't talking mass produced anything here. You got to get it man, an NSX is no vette wanna be - it didn't even have Vette on the table to pull from in design when it was developed.

If you want a true sports car then buy the NSX - it's so vastly different than a vette. There really isn't any comparison. The vette is a muscle car - plain and simple - but it's trying to be a real sports car too and it excels - but it's not in the same class in my opinion - Honda/Acura sold the car not to make a huge profit but to show the world it could build one- it was very hard to sell any Japanese car at the prices the NSX sold for - in that way untill the late 90s the Japanese had no real high priced cars other than the NSX. Now that's of course no longer true but there is still no car in the world built any better than the NSX - they may have bigger power plants and be more sophisticated and faster but to beat out the NSX you have to go to cars that are much more expensive except for Porsche. It's basic coupe is about what the last NSXs sold for but they can easily get to around 100k with extras - which by the way there were really none for the NSX unless you got into the custom program.

So do you want to make your girlfriend happy- is she gonna drive it? NO, you're gonna drive it and you want a stick, right not an automatic unless you have to get one that she can drive. I can tell you from personal experience - buy the car for yourself - it's your dream and your bucks. Get the NSX and live a little - live the legend - not the ordinary.

So what's it gonna be ----mmmmmm----haven't we done our job yet??? Surely your not gonna let someone else decide this for you - or us for that matter - read about it- watch the production video - lot's of Japanese but it's still clear. It's a car of the millenium - not your average wanna be a Ferarri but isn't! It's the rarest of the rare - not because no one has one - bull- it's because it's an amazing feat that Honda built it and it maintains like a Honda, well an expensive Honda let's say. But it is a dream - a miracle machine - it trancends the term auto - it's art on wheels. It's poetry in motion - it's unique - without having to be "uniqued"

If you haven't figured out what the heck we're trying to tell you on this site by now.... then it's hopeless.

Last edited:
tbromley:

What an outstanding post. You may not have convinced the OP but you sure have me convinced. It was a pleasure to read what you had said.

Thanks!:smile:

Why do you want someone to talk you into something that is this rare. There were only 8600 or so shipped to the US. It's not only rare but it's amazing that a car like the NSX was even built! You can get a vette anytime, they are all over the place. They have fibre glass bodies - the NSX is all aluminum - it actually takes a real craftsman to put it together. Hand built - not automoton built. Personally crafted for fit by the best mechanics working for Honda at the time - you had to have 10 years experience with Honda to even be considered for a position to work in the plant. We aren't talking mass produced anything here. You got to get it man, an NSX is no vette wanna be - it didn't even have Vette on the table to pull from in design when it was developed.

If you want a true sports car then buy the NSX - it's so vastly different than a vette. There really isn't any comparison. The vette is a muscle car - plain and simple - but it's trying to be a real sports car too and it excels - but it's not in the same class in my opinion - Honda/Acura sold the car not to make a huge profit but to show the world it could build one- it was very hard to sell any Japanese car at the prices the NSX sold for - in that way untill the late 90s the Japanese had no real high priced cars other than the NSX. Now that's of course no longer true but there is still no car in the world built any better than the NSX - they may have bigger power plants and be more sophisticated and faster but to beat out the NSX you have to go to cars that are much more expensive except for Porsche. It's basic coupe is about what the last NSXs sold for but they can easily get to around 100k with extras - which by the way there were really none for the NSX unless you got into the custom program.

So do you want to make your girlfriend happy- is she gonna drive it? NO, you're gonna drive it and you want a stick, right not an automatic unless you have to get one that she can drive. I can tell you from personal experience - buy the car for yourself - it's your dream and your bucks. Get the NSX and live a little - live the legend - not the ordinary.

So what's it gonna be ----mmmmmm----haven't we done our job yet??? Surely your not gonna let someone else decide this for you - or us for that matter - read about it- watch the production video - lot's of Japanese but it's still clear. It's a car of the millenium - not your average wanna be a Ferarri but isn't! It's the rarest of the rare - not because no one has one - bull- it's because it's an amazing feat that Honda built it and it maintains like a Honda, well an expensive Honda let's say. But it is a dream - a miracle machine - it trancends the term auto - it's art on wheels. It's poetry in motion - it's unique - without having to be "uniqued"

If you haven't figured out what the heck we're trying to tell you on this site by now.... then it's hopeless.

Awesome post... After reading it, made me want to go out and buy another NSX... If only I could afford another one.

Take Tim's post add a S/C and now you've got the best of both worlds:

1. Japanese exotic that many love
2. Muscle car performance retaining #1 above.

That to me is the winning combination. Unless of course you're like most of us and happy with a NA NSX.:tongue:

I say buy the Z06, drive it/enjoy it for a couple of years, then decide if you want to move on to an NSX. Life is short. Who says you can't have both, just one at a time.:wink:

Everything about the Z06's engineering has been oriented towards raw performance while everything about the NSX's engineering has been oriented towards balance. Both of these cars are masterpieces of automotive engineering in their own rights and I plan to own both.

The only thing an '02+ NSX needs is to be lowered 1". It is unquestionably exotic, rare, and a timeless classic. If you are looking for performance, get the Z06. If you are looking for the whole package, get the NSX. Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed as they are both incredible cars.

Everything about the Z06's engineering has been oriented towards raw performance while everything about the NSX's engineering has been oriented towards balance. Both of these cars are masterpieces of automotive engineering in their own rights and I plan to own both.

The only thing an '02+ NSX needs is to be lowered 1". It is unquestionably exotic, rare, and a timeless classic. If you are looking for performance, get the Z06. If you are looking for the whole package, get the NSX. Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed as they are both incredible cars.

What's not balanced about the Z06 compared to the NSX?

Cars that are geared towards raw performance would need to start with a solid axle.

Here's where the Z06 shines in the other side of the "balanced" category:

- available GPS from the factory
- Actuated door handles
- Start button
- Heads Up Display
- better weight distribution (closer to 50/50 than the NSX)
- tunable exhaust note
- better brakes
- wider stance and wider tires
- larger arm rest storage
- interior smells better (not '80-'90's cheap vinyl smell)

The ONLY thing that the NSX has (which is a matter of opinion) is the looks.

The NSX doesn't deliver the "whole package" in the HP and TQ dept anymore.....

Take Tim's post add a S/C and now you've got the best of both worlds:

1. Japanese exotic that many love
2. Muscle car performance retaining #1 above.

That to me is the winning combination. Unless of course you're like most of us and happy with a NA NSX.:tongue:

A supercharged NSX could hold it's own against a 1st gen Z06, but not a '06+ Z06.

For that u'll need www.lovefab.com and alot of $$$$ to do it right (building up the engine to handle the HP)

You got to get it man, an NSX is no vette wanna be - ......

It's a wannabe of this:

vc97big_nsx_f40.jpg

and the face of the FC RX7 and 944 meshed together.

The NSX styling is really not that original.

I'll give u a little insight: Japanese are not really well known for being industry innovators or setters, but rather followers when compared to the West.

One simple sentence" The beauty is in the eye of the beholder" . Follow your heart.

You have mentioned that your girlfriend says NSX is very 90ish. We want to know from you - what do you think?

2-days ago I was driving along the road and there was a convertible Vett with beauty orange color was driving opposite direction. When I passed by him, I looked at the corners of my eyes his neck was twisting to my direction to check out my car. I pretended to ignore him and drove by.

As other Primers quoted, there are so many Vetts in my small town and they all look alike BIG BUTTS while NSXs are very rare, maybe because it is out of production and become rare?

The earlier NSX front "chin" is to far in like a 90's car. The newer NSX updated headlights just look like they ripped off a Mitsubishi and stared at a Frog's eyes for some finishing thoughts.

The Vette owner was probably thinking that it's a Ferrari due to the mid-rear engine layout or he was thinking of adding a NSX to the kill list on *name that vette forum*

To the untrained eyes there are alot of vettes.

But the only vette that I think is worthy in looks and certainly performance that can maintain and exceed eye contact with the NSX is the Z06 and ZR1 of the C6 gen.

Batman, you can't be serious about the originality of the NSX. I surely don't see it as a "rip off". The NSX is a trend setter - for example look at the Camaro that mocked the NSX with it's black roof and concealed headlights. Not to mention the engine technology picked up by none other than Porsche in the 993 with Vario Ram technology that the NSX employed in the 91. How many other cars made mimic the all aluminum body at the price point of the NSX? NONE! How bout the cab forward design - that alone has influenced tons of American cars! Man the list goes on and on. Racing cars were the only ones to employ 4 valves per cylinder untill the Japanese made it common place, oh and it worked too! Just a little side bar - about things that WORKED on the NSX.

The only thing about the NSX that really could be improved would be the radio with todays Acura radio. It was ok at the time but not quite up to the standards that Acura employs now. Wish they made an upgraded system that would fit the stock configuration.

There really is no other naturally aspirated car that does any better than the NSX with 6 cylinders even today. Just look at the new Evora - I'm sure you've seen it. It's in all the magazines and if you note the specs on it - even though it's a 2 + 2 - like the 911- it doesn't really best the performance of a car that is 18 years old. The NSX was the trend setter for so many things that it'll take me a while to fully understand them. How bout variable valve timing - ummm- Porsche and other exotics and just other cars didn't get that for quite a while after the NSX was already in production for years. I mean - what are you talking about here?

Give us out some specifics and if you think so little of the NSX then why do you own one? Why don't you buy a vette? Or a Porsche or an Evora, which actually is the only car I'd even consider on todays new market - you know why - it's got a Japanese engine and tranny. It's reliable. How bout those vettes - how reliable are they? One has to look a little farther than initial specs and slalom time results - in that - how does a car perform over the long haul or even the short haul. I would say that the NSX has em all beat there - how bout that for trend setting - actually building a reliable car! You can't compare any sports car to the reliability of the NSX. It was developed in 90 - I mean sure you can TC one, or SC one and others do - like the Vette - compare one that hasn't had the SC with the NSX they aren't that far off. But in the end there is no replacement for displacement is there. Unless your looking for balance and usability - like how many women do you see driving a vette - but the NSX was designed so that a woman would find it as easy to drive as their Accord. I think it's phenominal that so many things were taken into consideration when they designed it.

Now sure the Vette will out perform it in just about all catagories but it's got a sh ...t pile of horsepower and torque - but take it to the Ferarri or Lambo - it's just not in the same league except that it will whomp around the track like a hammer on an anvil - big deal - they've always done that - and squeaked and rattled their way into the hearts of Americans. I don't get it but if you want raw power and not refined dynamics then buy a vette and get on down the road and over to the Vette web sites.

I believe we have a forum for NSX owners that are extolling the virtues of the marque and not so much it's short comings. I do believe that the concealed headlights are part of the marque and I don't see a big improvement with the exposed headlights but that's subjective. All of em sold didn't they, so people had to like them. I'm telling you the main reason Acura/Honda didn't get the accolades they deserved for the car is that no one could believe that a Japanese car should be that expensive and it just turned everyone off - the others were loyal to thier own marque - be it Porsche, Merc, Ferarri, Lambo, Alpha, Aston Martin or Bentley or Jaguar. Sure we'd all love to drive a Lambo or F car or Aston Martin or any of the others but which would you want to live with if you were paying for it. The NSX stands out.

Original design Japanese cars:

FD
GTR
300ZX

I'm considering selling the NSX for a C6 Z06 which is pretty reliable.

I doubt that a NSX will ever be as reliable as a C6 Z06 and:

- have equal or better HP/TQ on pump gas
- do the above and maintain stock MPGs

I do like the NSX in other areas when I'm not seeking power with the right foot.

tbromley i'm glad that you are loving your nsx very much. but batman has been on here for a little bit and he does own one so he knows the strength and weaknesses of the nsx. you have to understand that the nsx is not for everybody. batman loves his car but he wants to try something new, he is not downplaying the nsx but he is just stopping you guys from down playing the c6 Z06. I love that car as well, very bad ass car and its light, and the engine should be very reliable. i can't guarantee that it would not squeak and rattle after 50K miles when our nsx will stay squeek free for over 100K miles.

Last edited:
Tim you have done your research... well done... now to just get your car back so you can really enjoy it.

The 92 NA1 white/black on ebay, that salesman did a wonderful job on their You Tube ad... most comfortable seats... I know of at least two other people who say the same.

The Z06 and the NSX are different cars.

Still no regrets here on going with the New Sports car Experimental, even if it is 18 years old :cool:

Last edited:
A little known fact is that BATMANs is actually a bot that is programmed to post one of two things:

1. Post about how awesome the FD is in comparison to (fill in the blank with any car type).
2. Post about how the NSX is worse than (fill in the blank with any car type) because of (Choose from list: 1. Underpowered, 2. lacks massive tq, 3. isn't a FD).

This also helps to explain the conspicuous lack of reading comprehension and the constant thread derailing as well.

Back