C6 Corvette review of the interior and steering - Car and Driver

Hugh said:
Normally I don't feed trolls such as yourself but seriously now. :)

First of all drag racing is for fags and street racing is for cross dressing fags. Real men road race. That Teutonic Titanic E55 of yours would handle like the Queen Mary 2 on a race track and quickly become part of the surrounding landscape.

For 99.9% of everyday street driving, no one is ever going to use their car's full horsepower potential whether it's 200 or 600HP.

Why would I spend a fortune on a POS Benz that loses 50% of its value in less than 2 years. (See eBay auctions for undisputable proof of this) and that will start to fall apart when the warranty expires? I could write a check right now for just about any car on the planet but I happen to be smart and don't need to flaunt my net worth. Mercedes Benz has morphed into a rolling status symbol. Nothing more.

I did not buy my 55 to carve the corners; this is why I am looking for a sports car. The 55 transports me comfortable luxury, but at the same time is able to dispatch 90% of the cars on the road today at a stoplight.

I disagree of your depiction of drag racers. I know a lot of drag racers and road racers and for the most part, they are all car enthusiasts. Some may wear mullets, but who cares. :wink:

In regards to resale value, my 2005 E55 is actually holdings its value quite well. In fact, four year old 2003 E55s are retaining over 70% of their original value. The SL55 also retains its value quite well also. Of course their are models that get hammered after a year or two like the 65 series cars, but they start off too much in the first place.

I also disagree that Mercedes cars are strictly a rolling status symbol. You forgot they also include monster motors with all that chrome.

Hugh said:
You need to get out more and cut down on the Internet arm chair racing. Gouging stopped the week after they hit showroom floors. That was months ago. How many do you want below MSRP?

Here in Southern California, none of the dealers are selling at MSRP. In fact, I was at an auction in Riverside recently and saw a Yellow Z06 w/ less than a 1k miles sell for $76k, which is $5k over MSRP. This was at a dealer auction.

NetViper said:
I am not trying to be harsh to anyone. But you guys trashing AMG is not going to going over well with someone who owns AMG. I don't blame him for getting angry.

As for Hugh, he just likes to stir the pot. :)

I didn't say anything about his car that he didn't say first. I nowhere trashed all AMGs or even MB for that matter.

JD powers confirms most of MB's problems and why they really do have poor resale value. My friends who have them ( S class ) complain of poor build quality , but they bought them for image anyway.

NetViper said:
While this is mostly true, you don't seem to be hurting for $$$, so If you like the NSX, buy one and slap on a SC or Turbo and you will not be dissapointed.

NetViper,

I have seriously considered putting forced induction on an NSX, but don't know if it will be enough. Only Comptech as far as I know offers a CARB legal kit for the NSX and we all know that system is not that fast.

I have read a lot about the turbo kits for the NSX and the performance is very impressive, but those cars won't pass smog I believe.

WingZ said:
AMGsRock said:
Awww isn't dat cute. Well at least you know it's garbage. Economy sportscoupes ( he's on a roll ) LoL oh well now that you know it's no NSX for you I guess it's back to the cave. Tell MB hello and we love them. Nice hopefully not ever hearing from you again. Cheers!

By economy sports coupes, I mean EVO MRs, STIs, Cobras and etc. Also, I am aware that EVO and MRs are not coupes as I was generalizing.

The fact that a 290HP NSX can nearly hold it's own with modern supercars on a track makes me think with the CTSC and your basic exhaust/intake/headers you'd have enough to have fun.

If you don't like it, move on, buy your Chevy

Hugh said:
The market will be flooded with used C6 Corvettes in the not too distant future. The smart dealers know this and want to move as many cars as possible before the laws of supply and demand shift out of their favor.

I think the market is already flooded with standard C6 Coupes, but the resale value has remained strong. The reason for this is the Corvette offers a lot of bang for the buck. If you took the time, you might agree that a new Corvette offers a lot of performance and some refinement for its reasonable $45k price. The NSX on the other hand had a $90k MSRP in 2005 and pales in comparison in my opinion from a performance to value perspective.

rickysals said:
The fact that a 290HP NSX can nearly hold it's own with modern supercars on a track makes me think with the CTSC and your basic exhaust/intake/headers you'd have enough to have fun.

If you don't like it, move on, buy your Chevy

Trust me, I have been researching this topic considerably during my possible NSX search. In fact I read a comparison test in one of the magazines (possibly Car and Driver) of various tuner cars and was disapointed in the overall performance of a Comptech prepared NSX. Either Comptech is too conservative in their development approach or it was a testing error by the magazine, but the outcome was not too impressive. Then again, it might be a conspiracy against the Honda NSX and other Japanese cars like Auto Sport, as speculated by another member earlier in this thread. Then again, I highly doubt it, since numerous Honda models are praised by this particular magazine.

no offense, but I don't really think you can knock the NSX based on value when you shop Mercedes. They aren't exactly bang for buck vehicles either

AMGsRock said:
I think the market is already flooded with standard C6 Coupes, but the resale value has remained strong. The reason for this is the Corvette offers a lot of bang for the buck. If you took the time, you might agree that a new Corvette offers a lot of performance and some refinement for its reasonable $45k price. The NSX on the other hand had a $90k MSRP in 2005 and pales in comparison in my opinion from a performance to value perspective.

Yet another opinion post. These are my favorite. Hey Chevy forums are currently open consider posting there they'd love to hear from you and could probably give you some of their opinions.

AMGsRock said:
Trust me, I have been researching this topic considerably during my possible NSX search. In fact I read a comparison test in one of the magazines (possibly Car and Driver) of various tuner cars and was disapointed in the overall performance of a Comptech prepared. Either Comptech is too conservative in their development approach or it was a testing error by the magazine, but the outcome was not too impressive.

I'd suggest you try to find someone who has a CTSC and drive it. You never know until you drive it. Every single person's view based on how fast a car is, is subjective. When my mom bought her Hyundai Elantra a few years ago she was blown away at how quick it was... you sir would probably be a little underwhelmed lol :wink:

Because of the subjectivity of people and speed, it's hard to base your opinion on the opinions of others sometimes. So hey, try to take a spin in one, and if you aren't impressed... then enjoy your Z06

Why can't people ffs stop comparing apples to bananas?

AMGs are BMW M copies after BMW entered the scene with M5, M3 and so on. There were no "supercars under familycar look" cars before BMW M.

Honda NSX is a part of history, AMG's are nothing but BMW M copies. EOD...

rickysals said:
no offense, but I don't really think you can knock the NSX based on value when you shop Mercedes. They aren't exactly bang for buck vehicles either

Actually, the AMG cars offer a decent amount of performance and luxury for the money. If you want a fast midsize four door sedan, there are not a lot of choices. Actually, there are only two in my opinion (Mercedes and BMW).

WingZ said:
Yet another opinion post. These are my favorite. Hey Chevy forums are currently open consider posting there they'd love to hear from you and could probably give you some of their opinions.

So are you denying that the base C6 Corvette offers superior performance (acceleration, skidpad, braking and lap times) compared to an NSX for half the price?

|Adeel said:
Why can't people ffs stop comparing apples to bananas?

AMGs are BMW M copies after BMW entered the scene with M5, M3 and so on. There were no "supercars under familycar look" cars before BMW M.

Honda NSX is a part of history, AMG's are nothing but BMW M copies. EOD...

Actually, Mercedes was making hot rod sedans storming the Autobahn well before BMW M cars.

If you are familiar with the and 300 SEL 6.3 and 450 SEL 6.9 you would know. BMW had nothing that even came close back then.

AMGsRock said:
So are you denying that the base C6 Corvette offers superior performance (acceleration, skidpad, braking and lap times) compared to an NSX for half the price?

Oooooh bait and switch you got me there. Does the base C6 outperform the E55 for less money?

AMGsRock said:
Trust me, I have been researching this topic considerably during my possible NSX search. In fact I read a comparison test in one of the magazines (possibly Car and Driver) of various tuner cars and was disapointed in the overall performance of a Comptech prepared NSX. Either Comptech is too conservative in their development approach or it was a testing error by the magazine, but the outcome was not too impressive. Then again, it might be a conspiracy against the Honda NSX and other Japanese cars like Auto Sport, as speculated by another member earlier in this thread. Then again, I highly doubt it, since numerous Honda models are praised by this particular magazine.

They've no reason to trust you. You state you read one magazine article and so you know all about tuner NSX's. If you were knowledgeable enough to trust you would've stated that you prefer the performance that the FX turbo NSX's display vs their supercharged counter parts.

Last edited:
AMGsRock said:

Are you denying the same when comparing it to a SL55?

Drive a Corvette and every other car you consider and buy the one you like.
Don't worry about what the magazines say.

pbassjo said:

He actually has an E55. Maybe he's on the chevy site right now telling them how great their car is. If so maybe he won't come back:frown: :wink:

WingZ said:
Oooooh bait and switch you got me there. Does the base C6 outperform the E55 for less money?

Yes, it does, except in acceleration. My 55 when stock pulled C6's decisively and now with the flash, pulley and headers, it rips away from Corvettes. :)

AMGsRock said:
In fact I read a comparison test in one of the magazines (possibly Car and Driver) of various tuner cars and was disapointed in the overall performance of a Comptech prepared NSX. Either Comptech is too conservative in their development approach or it was a testing error by the magazine, but the outcome was not too impressive.

No one here is really sure of wtf was going on with that Comptech NSX? :confused: It's like the video from Top Gear where the 3.2L NSX out ran the C6 in the drag race. It "shouldn't" have done that but it did. :cool:

The CTSC's performance in that test is not nearly what several other members have documented at the racetrack. Most members are getting low 12's with the CTSC but that might not enough to satisfy you either. You can IC it and drop into the 11's. Why you would want a car any faster than that... well, you must be one hell of a driver on a track.

I would hope before you buy either an NSX or Z06 that you drive both and make your decision after that. Specs don't mean a thing when it comes down to how much YOU like the car. Remember these descriptions when comparing an NSX to a Corvette. They both accomplish the same things, the NSX is like a sharp knife and the Corvette is like a chainsaw.

AMGsRock said:
Yes, it does, except in acceleration. My 55 when stock pulled C6's decisively and now with the flash, pulley and headers, it rips away from Corvettes. :)

:rolleyes: Given an equal amount of money to start with or even less, a C4/C5/C6 Corvette will seriously abuse an E55 in all aspects of performance.

pbassjo said:

The Corvette is almost impossible to beat in the performance to dollar equation, especially the Z06. The SL55 definetly is not a bang for the buck automobile. However, I would love to replace my SMG Cab with an SL55, but I think the money will be better spent on a dedicated sports car at least in my situation.

I agree I will choose the car I LIKE versus what everyone else likes including the magazines.

TTony said:
:rolleyes: Given an equal amount of money to start with or even less, a C4/C5/C6 Corvette will seriously abuse an E55 in all aspects of performance.

I agree with you. I have buddy with a Procharged C6 (15k investment w/520 RWHP) and he pulls me fairly well, but the 55 holds its ground surprisingly well. Not bad for a luxury sedan in my opinion.

Why don't you say "nobody should buy SL55AMG because Corvette will outrun in for less price"? :)

Back