C6 Corvette review of the interior and steering - Car and Driver

i'm not surprised, as i'm not impressed with the interior of most any american car. it seems they lack the ability to make it look good. but then again so does ferrari (aside from their brilliant stitching of leather.... (but big deal, i'm not impressed with that either- give me 10 bucks and a chinese sweat shop and i bet it would look even better) their dashes/ interior design are damn ghetto). oh, and the seat of a ferrari 550 barchetta doesn't feel as good as my 91 nsx's either....

as far as the C6's seats go.... i'm sure they aren't THAT bad. you're talking about a magazine. they exaggerate the crap out of everythign to try and prove one simple point. maybe the seat isn't all that comfy. but then they elaborate saying it has you holding on to dear life while you're driving the car. please....

C6 Z06 is definitely the best bang for your buck when you're talking about sports cars nowadays (this coming from somebody who doesn't foresee himself ever buying an american car). i'm not going to try and defend the nsx's weaknesses..... yeah, it may have a better seat, but you can't even compare the nsx to the Z06 anymore because the corvette has surpassed the nsx in all aspects (of performance at least). and last time i checked, that's what a sports car was supposed to do - perform. ( i know this thread is about seats... but i just thought i'd throw a reminder in there that the nsx isn't THAT great, especially for the $$$$):smile:

Synthesis said:
the corvette has surpassed the nsx in all aspects (of performance at least)

Maybe on paper but last time I checked the NSX still had a faster time at The Nurburgring. Let's not forget that there's a price to pay for "best bang for the buck". In the Plastic Fantastic's case that price is being doomed to handle like a 500 horsepower farm truck thanks to it's leaf spring suspension. And guess what? They couldn't even afford two of them so they jury rigged one across the back of the car. For God's sake Chevy, even a 20 year old Cambodian oxcart has 2 leaf springs. :)

I think you get a compass. At least that's the first thing a local Chevy salesman pointed out to me when the car first hit the local showrooms and I took Charlotte to "flirt" with one. I just looked at him dumbfounded and said "A what? I'm looking at a $65,000 sportscar that you've added a $25,000 surcharge to and the first thing you want to point out to me is its compass? I guess that makes sense because I'd have to be lost in space to pay that for this thing." He just smiled, I just walked out. :)

yeah, i agree.... the car (vette) definitely has cut corners all over the place, and its price is going straight up (even besides the fact that they are in really high demand right now).... and, as usual, the quality isn't there.

i guess i'm still just frustrated that nothing has been done with the NSX to keep it above. it has been gettin shots taken at it from all the new cars. lets just hope the new one lives up to the 1991's legacy.:redface: either way, i love my car :smile:

Regardless of the raw numbers (I would buy an Ariel Atom if I wanted pure bang for the buck with some exclusivity) the overall package the NSX was (and is, in my mind) is excellent, and I still love to look at the shape. I see many new cars coming out these days that fail in some major area to "do it" for me. Some examples:
The damn afterthougt of a rear bumper on the otherwise very cool Ford GT.
The 4x4 look of a new F430 (which I know is an easy fix, but it's still odd, and I do not care for the black front "nostrils" either)
The Z06- Really I like this car, but it just looks to much like every other C6 out there, and for the money I would like the average joe to know I am driving something more than a C6.
There are others, and admittedly there are a few items I would change on the NSX, but none of them are biggies, which is probably why I am on my third one. Call me a fool, but I am a happy one.

Hugh said:
Maybe on paper but last time I checked the NSX still had a faster time at The Nurburgring.

Where did you see that? The Z06 is far faster than any NSX around the Ring. I don't know the normal C6, but I have no doubt it is faster than a 3.2L NSX.

NetViper said:
Where did you see that? The Z06 is far faster than any NSX around the Ring.

Here's the video of a production NSX-R running the ring in 7:56. I've seen all kinds of crazy lap times for the new ZO6 posted all over the net including the 7:40 "Blue Devil" prototype's time but I can't find a proven documented time. I believe the record at The Ring for a production car is currently held by the Carrera GT at 7:32.

Is the Radical SR8 a production car? If so I want one! It's powered by a V8 created by fusing together two Hayabusa motors. :) It ran The Ring in 6:55!

Find me a damn video of a ZO6 running The Ring. That's the only acceptable proof. Message board posts and text links won't cut it as we all know that 99.9% of anything you read on The Net is pure unadulterated bullshit.

Last edited:
Find me a damn video of a ZO6 running The Ring. That's the only acceptable proof. Message board posts and text links won't cut it as we all know that 99.9% of anything you read on The Net is pure unadulterated bullshit.[/QUOTE]

True dat!

Hugh said:
Here's the video of a production NSX-R running the ring in 7:56. I've seen all kinds of crazy lap times for the new ZO6 posted all over the net including the 7:40 "Blue Devil" prototype's time but I can't find a proven documented time. I believe the record at The Ring for a production car is currently held by the Carrera GT at 7:32.

Is the Radical SR8 a production car? If so I want one! It's powered by a V8 created by fusing together two Hayabusa motors. :) It ran The Ring in 6:55!

Find me a damn video of a ZO6 running The Ring. That's the only acceptable proof. Message board posts and text links won't cut it as we all know that 99.9% of anything you read on The Net is pure unadulterated bullshit.

Do you really think the NSX-R is faster than the Z06? Even on Top Gear, which is not the most reliable source, the Z06 beat the NSX-R by like 10 seconds on the test track.

The Z06 ran 7:43. That was not the "Blue Devil", which is now called Sting Ray by the way.

By the way Hugh, can you tell me what a "normal" 3.2 NSX runs on the ring?

I love the NSX-R as much as all of you, but reality needs to set in here guys.

C6 Z06 vs NSX-R on Nurburgring: Advantage Z06 by a mile

There is no chance that an NSX-R can keep pace with a C6 Z06.

I read the Z06 lapped the Ring in 7:42.9, which is almost 30 seconds quicker than the NSX-R time of 8:09 per Sport Auto magazine. The 1997 3.2 NSX lapped the ring in 8:38, while a basic C6 did it in 8:15. I also read somewhere that the 3.0 NSX was almost another 15 seconds slower than the 3.2.

There is NO comparison, the Z06 will absolutely anihilate the NSX-R and a basic C6 will destroy a 3.2 NSX around a road course. Lap times don't lie.

Heck, even a BMW Z3 and Subaru Impreza turbo were quicker than the 3.2 NSX around the Ring.

Rundenzeiten.jpg

Last edited:
NetViper said:
I love the NSX-R as much as all of you, but reality needs to set in here guys.

You have entered a new dimension of sight and sound, where reality is on hold and time and space stands still, where unlikely and sometimes unbelievable outcomes are reality and every day is like it was back in 1990.

Welcome, you have entered the vacuum called NSX Prime!

NetViper said:
The Z06 ran 7:43. That was not the "Blue Devil", which is now called Sting Ray by the way.

You are absolutely correct, it wasn't the Devil. It was a stock C6 ZO6 on OEM tires driven by Jan Magnussen. I am in complete and total shock! How could a car with twice the horsepower beat out the NSX-R by 13 seconds on a 9 1/2 mile course. I must purchase one immediately!

NetViper said:
By the way Hugh, can you tell me what a "normal" 3.2 NSX runs on the ring?

I guess that depends who's driving it. :)

Hugh said:
You are absolutely correct, it wasn't the Devil. It was a stock C6 ZO6 on OEM tires driven by Jan Magnussen. I am in complete and total shock! How could a car with twice the horsepower beat out the NSX-R by 13 seconds on a 9 1/2 mile course. I must purchase one immediately!

I guess that depends who's driving it. :)

Look at the post above. NSX-R 8:09. I know we all cling on to the 7:56, but it is for some reason not recorded anywhere but that video.

Of course, how many of us have the NSX-R. Oh, thats right... not one.

So let's compare what we can get.

NSX: 8:38
C6: 8:15
Z06: 7:43

Every time I hear the phrase "bang for the buck" I think of "Ripple" or grain alcohol. Big bang for the buck but you can have my share.:tongue:

A GM car next to a Honda or Toyota always wins on day one. The slippery downhill slide from there is what keeps me away.
What GM needs to do is offer low financing AND a bumper to bumper warranty until the financing term is complete and make the car good enough so that they stay ahead on the proposition.
They should be embarrassed that newer Asian car companies offer better warranties than the established American brands. They should be ashamed offering 3/36 and the like on their cars. If they're confident and want to lead the way then dammit they should lead and set the standard instead of introducing new models that "promise" to be be the best and do well for Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc., and fade afterward.

Every Corvette has promised, crapped out, and been replaced with a new wiz bang, zowie "it's incredible" car.
This time it's different.:rolleyes:

NetViper said:
Look at the post above. NSX-R 8:09. I know we all cling on to the 7:56, but it is for some reason not recorded anywhere but that video.

The new C6 Z06 is a stunning performer. I am very impressed with Chevrolet's newest supercar.

Hugh said:

Actually, the Z06 is 26 seconds faster than the NSX-R, (55 seconds faster than the standard 3.2 NSX) which is an eternity, even on a 9 mile course considering the high average speeds.

We can sit and compare lap times all day long. The bottom line is that we all love our NSX's. However, we have to be able to realize that it is not the "be all and end all" of sports cars. The NSX hasn't really changed since 1997. Many other cars have surpassed its performance over the last 9 YEARS!

Simple as that.

Had Honda continued to developed the NSX like Chevy does the Vette, or Porsche does the 911, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Let's hope they keep the HSC up to date... if it ever arrives. :biggrin:

NetViper said:

Isn't it great when we eat our own. I guess we need to sell and go buy Subies and Corvettes. Our beloved car is in ruin and shambles . laid bare in shame for all to see. I can just see all these used NSX's with dust on them sitting in the Chevy used car lot with no one wanting them. Even lowly ricers turning their noses.

We certainly do have our share of unhappy owners. Pretty soon I may be one of the lone NSX's on the road. Darn!:biggrin:

WingZ said:
Isn't it great when we eat our own. I guess we need to sell and go buy Subies and Corvettes. Our beloved car is in ruin and shambles . laid bare in shame for all to see. I can just see all these used NSX's with dust on them sitting in the Chevy used car lot with no one wanting them. Even lowly ricers turning their noses.

We certainly do have our share of unhappy owners. Pretty soon I may be one of the lone NSX's on the road. Darn!:biggrin:

I think you are taking my post the wrong way. I am simply saying that it is possible in the year 2006 that a Corvette may have the ability to keep up with or beat a car from 1997, or like the majority on this site have 91-94.

There is no point in bashing it like the person who started this thread did.

AMGsRock said:
The new C6 Z06 is a stunning performer. I am very impressed with Chevrolet's newest supercar.

Newest supercar? Given this one is a "supercar", and that's giving quite a bit judging by the stable she's from. If this car stands the test of time or even the test of two years I'd be surprised. I've been there every time a new Vette was born, excited as hell, scorning all contenders and feeling the fool just two rattly years later. Maybe this time? Well, if so in four years it should still leave a impression that any real "supercar" does a few years later. Wanna bet? I don't. :smile: I don't miss the service manager(s) at the Chevy dealership(s) one bit.

AMGsRock said:
Actually, the Z06 is 26 seconds faster than the NSX-R, (55 seconds faster than the standard 3.2 NSX) which is an eternity, even on a 9 mile course considering the high average speeds.

How do you figure that? There is video documented evidence of Gan San's Ring run proving his run of 7:56. This video is not some amateur net production. It is commercially available from Best Motoring.

All you have to go by is the word of German magazine. Judging by Gan San's run, either they are biased or their driver sucks. Therefore I am hereby declaring all of Sport Autos published Ring times innacurate, unqualified and useless.

There is no video proof of the C6 ZO6's time of 7:43. All we have to back up this alledged time are the words of Dave Hill, the Corvettte Platform Manager.

How could I be swayed by such obvious bullshit? I'm reverting back to my original stance that an NSX-R or any other similarly modified NSX will spank a Vette's butt when driven on the same track, at the same time by equally skilled drivers. Let's go back in time to The Motegi Battle where had it not overheated, the NSX-R probably would have spanked the Murci and Gallardo. Even crippled at the end, it left the 360 Modena, Porsche 996 and M3 CSL in another solar system.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled episode of Arm Chair Racing. :)

NetViper said:
Had Honda continued to developed the NSX like Chevy does the Vette, or Porsche does the 911, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Let's hope they keep the HSC up to date... if it ever arrives. :biggrin:

It would be great to see Honda introduce a 500 hp, 3000 lbs HSC to topple the Gallardo and F430, but unlikely in my opinion, since Honda has a lot more bean counters than balls.

Hugh your the man!

wasn't this about seats? I would like to see an 04-05 Do the ring just as it's swan song. Let the cards fall where they may we may be disappointed or pleasently surprised:biggrin:

By the way, anyone speak German in here? On the Sport Auto page, the NSX-R, along with several other cars tested, has two little asterisks that are explained at the bottom. What does the explanation say please?

but unlikely in my opinion, since Honda has a lot more bean counters than balls.[/QUOTE]

Cool I was waiting for your opinion:rolleyes:

You really are quite handy with the left handed compliments. Lets wait a few years and see what Honda does. Oh hey MB said you haven't been on the forum lately and they miss you. :biggrin:

Back