C6 Corvette review of the interior and steering - Car and Driver

rickysals said:
Hugh has a point.

You could build a hell of a track NSX with $70,000 (Z06 price) if you start with the most rigid, lightest model they have ever made (91-93 coupes)

Give FactorX a call :D

That's for sure, but why go through all that trouble? When you try and sell it all you'll get is half of that back...kinda like when you try and sell a used Z06:biggrin: :biggrin:

AMGsRock said:
Actually, yes my car has passed 360s and NSXs on the street (obviously) and at HPDE events. My muscle car is generating almost 600 hp and in excess of 620 lb ft of torque, so these cars don't have a chance on the straightaways. Yes, these cars can corner better than my 55, but the AMG actually corners fairly well considering the lighter wider wheels, MPS2, light weight rotors and HP pads I have installed. I have reduced almost 80 pounds in unspring weight which is substantial and has improved acceleration and handling.

At HPDEs I am able to pass these cars on the straights (especially at faster tracks with longer straights or bankings) when signaled, but need to slow down more in the corners, but they are not allowed to pass in the corners and once the straights (only designated passing zones) come up, I am gone again into the horizon. Of course as a courtesy, I let them pass me as well on the straights, so I don't hold them up in the corners. BTW, I don't remember getting lapped during these short 20 minute sessions. If these were race events with passing allowed anywhere, then the outcome would be different, but they are not.

I know my car is not a track car by any means, but it is formidable nonetheless considering its a 4100 pound luxurious muscle car, especially on the straight sections.

BTW, the reason for the Z06 or whatever is to have a dedicated track car versus using the sedan. BTW, I have learned driving school 101 many years ago in my previous E36 M3, so I am not a rookie to HPDE events. (Said with a straight face)

Okay now your really getting out there ,but if you say so. Your giving up a thousand pounds in the corners on an NSX and nine hundred on a C6 but yet you walk them. Once again if you say so. Your brakes and rotors apparently defy physics.

WingZ said:
Okay now your really getting out there ,but if you say so. Your giving up a thousand pounds in the corners on an NSX and nine hundred on a C6 but yet you walk them. Once again if you say so. Your brakes and rotors apparently defy physics.

You are clearly not reading my comments properly (it's probably your glasses again). I never stated I outbraked or outhandled 360 or NSXs on the track. I said on the straightaways I would pass these cars when they waived me by, since my car is clearly much faster in acceleration. Sure there were times that faster drivers did not waive me by thinking I would hold them up in the corners, but that only happened occassionally. However, I have surprised many less advanced drivers in their superior handling cars in the corners at times in my 4100 pound behemmoth.

These are not race conditions, so we are not both accelerating into the corners side by side and seeing who waits for the latest marker to begin braking before taking our line first through the corner entrance. If you attended HPDE events you would know this to be true.

You are grabbing at straws now.

Spinner said:
That's for sure, but why go through all that trouble? When you try and sell it all you'll get is half of that back...kinda like when you try and sell a used Z06:biggrin: :biggrin:

I thought so, but actually the C6 is holding it's value really well. I still think in 2 years though you can get a Z06 for low 50's.

I find the Corvette to be one of the most respectable and well-screwed together American cars available today. It's the only true American sports car, and one of the only American cars that has constantly evolved (as opposed to being replaced) over the years, holding onto it's name and distinct character.

It's a testament to American engineering and how ingenious and creative they can be. It also serves to remind us just how much the accountants and the CEOs of GM put shareholders in front of consumers by not letting the engineers do what they were hired to do.

I'm sure if GM management weren't such a-holes, the Z06 would come with better seats.

rickysals said:
Hugh has a point.

You could build a hell of a track NSX with $70,000 (Z06 price) if you start with the most rigid, lightest model they have ever made (91-93 coupes)

Give FactorX a call :D

You can't finance the price difference with 0% APR like with a Z06 though. ;)

AMGsRock said:
You are clearly not reading my comments properly (it's probably your glasses again). I never stated I outbraked or outhandled 360 or NSXs on the track. I said on the straightaways I would pass these cars when they waived me by, since my car is clearly much faster in acceleration. Sure there were times that faster drivers did not waive me by thinking I would hold them up in the corners, but that only happened occassionally. However, I have surprised many less advanced drivers in their superior handling cars in the corners at times in my 4100 pound behemmoth.

These are not race conditions, so we are not both accelerating into the corners side by side and seeing who waits for the latest marker to begin braking before taking our line first through the corner entrance. If you attended HPDE events you would know this to be true.

You are grabbing at straws now.

No actually your causing me to grab for a shovel ,but like I said whatever you say. You blast by "behemmoth" and are so far ahead that by the time you get to the brake marker no one else is driving agressively enough to be near you ( sorry I forgot there's nothing else out there able to keep up ) so you tap God's own brakes to barely slow behemmoth and rocket 4100 lbs into the corners. But hey whatever you say.

I'm sure you did surprise less advanced drivers ,but since your more advanced why are you driving with them ( less advanced drivers )? You sound like your an advanced driver what happens when your driving with people with the same experience in these less powerful ,but better handling cars? Go ahead tell me anything:wink:

WingZ said:
No actually your causing me to grab for a shovel ,but like I said whatever you say. You blast by "behemmoth" and are so far ahead that by the time you get to the brake marker no one else is driving agressively enough to be near you ( sorry I forgot there's nothing else out there able to keep up ) so you tap God's own brakes to barely slow behemmoth and rocket 4100 lbs into the corners. But hey whatever you say.

I'm sure you did surprise less advanced drivers ,but since your more advanced why are you driving with them ( less advanced drivers )? You sound like your an advanced driver what happens when your driving with people with the same experience in these less powerful ,but better handling cars? Go ahead tell me anything:wink:

You are still not understanding the concept of driver etiquette and more importantly the rules at these HPDE events. Once you have been waived to pass by in the designated passing zone, the person who was just passed does not then chase you down at the end of the straight to attempt to outbrake you in the braking zone and possibly come underneath in the corner to pass. As mentioned before, these are not race conditions.

I am generally in the A or B run groups (depending on sanctioning body or timeliness of application submittal), but there are still at times less advanced drivers that somehow get included in the intermediate and advanced groupings for whatever reason. I currently do not have a track specific car, but I previously ran a highy modified e36 M3 for many years at various driving events, so I do have some experience under my belt. The E55 is far from being a good track car for HPDE events, but of my existing 3 vehicles, it is the best choice.

Fortunately, my real estate investments have been good to me, so I can have the discretionary funds to purchase a track only car, that will possess the handling and braking commensurate to its engine output. I am trying to decide between cars like the C6 Z06, NSX or possibly an 04 GT3, which is actually my first choice, but I am not sure if the economics work yet.

AMGsRock said:
You are still not understanding the concept of driver etiquette and more importantly the rules at these HPDE events. Once you have been waived to pass by in the designated passing zone, the person who was just passed does not then chase you down at the end of the straight to attempt to outbrake you in the braking zone and possibly come underneath in the corner to pass. As mentioned before, these are not race conditions.

I am generally in the A or B run groups (depending on sanctioning body or timeliness of application submittal), but there are still at times less advanced drivers that somehow get included in the intermediate and advanced groupings for whatever reason. I currently do not have a track specific car, but I previously ran a highy modified e36 M3 for many years at various driving events, so I do have some experience under my belt. The E55 is far from being a good track car for HPDE events, but of my existing 3 vehicles, it is the best choice.

Fortunately, my real estate investments have been good to me, so I can have the discretionary funds to purchase a track only car, that will possess the handling and braking commensurate to its engine output. I am trying to decide between cars like the C6 Z06, NSX or possibly an 04 GT3, which is actually my first choice, but I am not sure if the economics work yet.

There you go with the NSX is in your decision again. I like talking to you ,but when will you give that a brake. Simple choice is an Espirit then add a turbocharger. Best bang for your economic bucks and should have no problem fending off a Z06 or a GT3. Okay no please stop thinking about an NSX it's not for you! Of course you knew that to start:wink:

WingZ said:
There you go with the NSX is in your decision again. I like talking to you ,but when will you give that a brake. Simple choice is an Espirit then add a turbocharger. Best bang for your economic bucks and should have no problem fending off a Z06 or a GT3. Okay no please stop thinking about an NSX it's not for you! Of course you knew that to start:wink:

We are finally on the same wavelength. However, I am assuming you meant the Lotus Elise?

I have also considered the Elise quite a bit as well, but more so the Exige. I believe they will be releasing factory approved supercharger kits as a dealer installed option, which would make the Exige a formidable track weapon. Even though the car is primarily for the track, I also wanted it to be useful on the street ocassionally, which made the Lotus less desireable.

AMGsRock said:
We are finally on the same wavelength. However, I am assuming you meant the Lotus Elise?

I have also considered the Elise quite a bit as well, but more so the Exige. I believe they will be releasing factory approved supercharger kits as a dealer installed option, which would make the Exige a formidable track weapon. Even though the car is primarily for the track, I also wanted it to be useful on the street ocassionally, which made the Lotus less desireable.

Track cars are almost always going to be uncomfortable on the street , nature of the beast. of course your young enough so that a super stiff suspension shouldn't bother. Lotus will probably lend you one for like 48 hrs or so see how it feels. See what the lotus guys say when you tell them what your interested in doing.

We've been on the same wavelength I just want you to admit the NSX is of no interest to you.:biggrin:

AMGsRock said:

He might mean an Esprit. When you add an aftermarket turbo and injectors to that engine, it's 500+rwhp. Under $5k into the car and you're at that level.

AutoVation said:
He might mean an Esprit. When you add an aftermarket turbo and injectors to that engine, it's 500+rwhp. Under $5k into the car and you're at that level.

No I mispelled. I meant Elise. He may not like NSX's ,but I wouldn't wish an Esprit on anyone:biggrin:

WingZ said:
He may not like NSX's ,but I wouldn't wish an Esprit on anyone:biggrin:

I owned a new Turbo Esprit in 1986. It was an absolute joy to drive when it ran. However it was plagued with problems to numerous to list. It lasted exactly one year and 40,000 miles at which point I just gave it back and said to hell with it. Maybe it wasn't meant to be a daily driver in NYC. Maybe it wasn't meant to have ski racks and driven to Vermont every weekend in the winter but after 3 cracked intake manifolds that spewed coolant when they failed and the tranny linkage disintegrating in rush hour traffic in mid-town Manhattan I had enough. I almost replaced it with a Jalpa. I can only imagine what a horror show that would have been. :)

Then they started importing Range Rovers so I got a new 1987 that actually did quite well for the 3 years that I owned it. I've had 3 since and currently own a beater 1990 Rangie that is my "hurricane mobile". despite their quirks, a Range Rover Classic is a great SUV that will go through or over just about anything

The NSX is not a car that looks good if you are just comparing numbers on a piece of paper. This is about 15 year old news for 99% of us. It is indubitably a very special car.

2xx horsepower. 2xx tq. 75k+ price tag. And Honda?

I strongly believe 90% of a car has nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with balance. Feel. Durability. Control.

How can you measure the amount of abuse a car can take? I am a great fan of the MB s600 line, and owned one for almost a year before I realized it was not worth 10k a year to maintain one to me. It is one of my favorite 'executive' cars of all time and always will be.

The NSX is exclusive, yet is sensible. The NSX is has the elements of an exotic; aluminum chassis, mid engine, etc., yet is reliable. It is very rare and unmistakable [except perhaps a slammed 2000+ V6 accord coupe from the rear unfortunately].

You can take a dead stock NSX and punish on a track for years. You and I both know attempting the same in any year AMG MB will bring heavy costs. Same with BMW. They are not engineered for that and I do not look down upon them for it.

I can completely understand from some people's views that a MB is a rolling status simple and nothing more. Poor reliability, ridiculous costs from every angle, and it's like throwing 10k in the garbage due to depreciation. I can also understand why someone who doesn't mind spending 6 figures on a luxurious yet powerful car would enjoy a MB. Why have less than the 'best' for what you want if you can get it? Perhaps because I've gone both ways besides that I do not buy new cars because breaking old habits is difficult.

The NSX is one-of-kind. You will probably never find the same chemistry that NSX owners have with their cars. This includes F cars. You may be fortunate enough to experience it yourself if you keep an open mind. I know a gentleman that bought a 91 new. He went to jag's then finally F cars in the late 90's. He bought a new 2001 NSX and swore he would never sell it. On paper, this is no logic behind this decision. But the experience of the car says wonders.

I've done enough NSX selling for a few days. I need to lighten up with my rhetoric or all the good NSX deals will be bought up.

Back