C6 Corvette review of the interior and steering - Car and Driver

It will take more than the 1.5(?) seconds on a quarter mile to make me give up my car for a Z06. I have more than going a quarter mile in mind when I'm driving. 50 quarter miles later I still won't be thinking a whole minute about how much better off I'd be in a C6 Z06. My feeling is if it's such a great deal for a such great car then go get one. I'm not adding one to my garage least not while I'm thinking of painting the floor.:tongue:

AMGsRock said:
It would be great to see Honda introduce a 500 hp, 3000 lbs HSC to topple the Gallardo and F430, but unlikely in my opinion, since Honda has a lot more bean counters than balls.

GM wishes it had a few more beans right now. They would if they made a decent product that held up to their promises.

Hugh said:
How do you figure that? There is video documented evidence of Gan San's Ring run proving his run of 7:56. This video is not some amateur net production. It is commercially available from Best Motoring.

All you have to go by is the word of German magazine. Judging by Gan San's run, either they are biased or their driver sucks. Therefore I am hereby declaring all of Sport Autos published Ring times innacurate, unqualified and useless.

There is no video proof of the C6 ZO6's time of 7:43. All we have to back up this alledged time are the words of Dave Hill, the Corvettte Platform Manager.

How could I be swayed by such obvious bullshit? I'm reverting back to my original stance that an NSX-R or any other similarly modified NSX will spank a Vette's butt when driven on the same track, at the same time by equally skilled drivers. Let's go back in time to The Motegi Battle where had it not overheated, the NSX-R probably would have spanked the Murci and Gallardo. Even crippled at the end, it left the 360 Modena, Porsche 996 and M3 CSL in another solar system.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled episode of Arm Chair Racing.

I doubt the German magazine Sport Auto is biased towards American cars versus Japanese.

However, let's assume the drivers at Sport Auto suck, the racetrack-ready and lightweight NSX-R was still only 6 seconds faster than the base C6 with the same crappy drivers. However, the base C6 is 23 seconds quicker than the standard 3.2 NSX.

I have seen that Motegi video, but don't know how unbiased and accurate the race was. Lap times under racing conditions with dicing, passing and being held up by other cars on the track (Motegi example) is very different to controlled lap times on the Ring with the exclusion of unexpected racing variables, which will be much more consistent.

Just my two cents.

AMGsRock said:
However, let's assume the drivers at Sport Auto suck, the racetrack-ready and lightweight NSX-R was still only 6 seconds faster than the base C6 with the same crappy drivers. However, the base C6 is 23 seconds quicker than the standard 3.2 NSX.

They have one driver, Horst von Saurma. Their published lap times can only be taken as entertainment value since the lack of additional data such as weather, track temps and Horst's Jaegermeister intake on any given day are conspicously absent. Sport Auto is a business with the goal of selling magazines and accepts advertising. Any business that derives a majority of it's income from sponsors whose products it "tests" is immediately suspect and can not be taken seriously.

Show me timed video or show me nothing at all.

Hugh said:
Did you know that AMG stood for "Abortive Mercedes Garnishments" ? :biggrin:

FYI, the SL55 AMG lapped the ring in 8:06, which is 3 seconds faster than Honda's factory homolgated NSX-R track car. The AMG is very impressive for a garnished and severly overweight convertible cruiser.

WingZ said:
You really are quite handy with the left handed compliments. Lets wait a few years and see what Honda does. Oh hey MB said you haven't been on the forum lately and they miss you. :biggrin:

Please tell the guys at MBWorld I said hello, :smile:

pbassjo said:
GM wishes it had a few more beans right now. They would if they made a decent product that held up to their promises.

You are probably right. I am not defending GM or stating they produce high quality products. However, the new Z06 deserves a lot of credit for raising the performance bar even for the exotics and offering this level of performance to the average consumer. I for one find it great to see the U.S. produce a world beating sports car. But with that said, I just have no plans replacing my E55 with CTS-V or SRT-8 just yet.

At least not until they put the new LS7 motor in the upcoming new generation CTS and then add a low boost blower from the aftermarket. That would be fun. :)

Last edited:
AMGsRock said:

No they want you and we said sure:biggrin:

AMGsRock said:
FYI, the SL55 AMG lapped the ring in 8:06

But it's still an SL55. *Yawn* How many did I see in Boca today? Was it 12 or 15? I can't remember. And why is that they all tend to magically disappear after their leases are up? Oh yes, I remember, because after a couple of years things are breaking at such an alarming rate that the owners simply get a new one out of sheer frustration. Why do you think that Mercedes is the only car company that can supply a part for just about any car that it has ever produced? That's an easy one to answer too, they have more cars of a given model that have been dis-assembled than are still actually registered and being driven.

Since you apparently drive one, can you tell me where the name Mercedes comes from? It's actually some pretty cool trivia. :)

Hugh said:
Since you apparently drive one, can you tell me where the name Mercedes comes from? It's actually some pretty cool trivia. :)

Actually, I don't know the origins of the name, but there a lot of hispanic women using it as a first name. So what is the origin of the name Mercedes Benz?

WingZ said:

No they want you and we said sure:biggrin:

You are much too generous. :rolleyes:

AMGsRock said:
So what is the origin of the name Mercedes Benz?

Mercedes was the name of Emil Jellineck's daughter. He was a Jewish banker that became a car dealer and eventually a place on the board of directors of the company because he helped them financially. This earned him the right to use his daughter's name for the growing company. It's probably the reason that it's the only German car you'll see a Hasidic Jew drive. :)

That's the short version. Here's the long version.

AMGsRock said:
Actually, I don't know the origins of the name, but there a lot of hispanic women using it as a first name. So what is the origin of the name Mercedes Benz?

Something you don't know:eek: Why didn't you give your opinion? You did with Honda?:confused:

WingZ said:
AMGsRock said:

Something you don't know:eek: Why didn't you give your opinion? You did with Honda?:confused:

I didn't give my opinion because I did not know the answer to the origin of the Mercedes Banz name.

However, in regards to Honda and its NSX, I knew the answers. It is very clear that Honda continued to produce the NSX even though it was obsolete from a performance standpont compared to the competition since 1997. It is obvious that Honda had no interest in the NSX platform (including its followers) by 1997, since they refused to give it any performance enhancements over the next 8 years until finally realizing to ax it in 2005, something it should have done many years prior.

Also, I knew the purpose bult NSX-R track car was no match for the C6 Z06 and that it is much closer to the garden variety C6 Corvette in performance. The standard 3.2 as you can see on the chart is anemic by today's standards.

In regards to Mercedes, I know they make superior rear drive luxury vehicles. My E55 is clearly superior to the Honda RL. I know that Mercedes is willing to produce engines with some serious grunt, while Honda contines to make torqueless engines. I would also guess the All Mercedes Garbage entry level roadster SLK55 would destroy the NSX in acceleration, braking and lap times on a road course without breaking a sweat.

I love destroying exotic sports cars like the 360 and NSX in my All Garbage family sedan at stop lights and the freeway as their owners watch helplessly as my four door sedan's tailights quickly disappear from any speed.

I also know that when I buy a sports car this year that it will most likely be a C6 Z06 (once gouging has stopped). I was originally thinking about the NSX as possible option, but it has become clear that it does not offer sufficient performance to even keep up with economy sports coupes.

Finally, I know that my Garbage E55 is not ALL SHOW and NO GO like the NSX.

Last edited:
Normally I don't feed trolls such as yourself but seriously now. :)

First of all drag racing is for fags and street racing is for cross dressing fags. Real men road race. That Teutonic Titanic E55 of yours would handle like the Queen Mary 2 on a race track and quickly become part of the surrounding landscape.

For 99.9% of everyday street driving, no one is ever going to use their car's full horsepower potential whether it's 200 or 600HP.

Why would I spend a fortune on a POS Benz that loses 50% of its value in less than 2 years. (See eBay auctions for undisputable proof of this) and that will start to fall apart when the warranty expires? I could write a check right now for just about any car on the planet but I happen to be smart and don't need to flaunt my net worth. Mercedes Benz has morphed into a rolling status symbol. Nothing more.

AMGsRock said:
I also know that when I buy a sports car this year that it will most likely be a C6 Z06 (once gouging has stopped).

You need to get out more and cut down on the Internet arm chair racing. Gouging stopped the week after they hit showroom floors. That was months ago. How many do you want below MSRP?

Hugh said:
You need to get out more and cut down on the Internet arm chair racing. Gouging stopped the week after they hit showroom floors. That was months ago. How many do you want below MSRP?

Hugh, You have no idea what you are talking about about on that one. Z06 are still going for well above MSRP and used are still selling for more than MSRP.

I have heard of a few dealers willing to sell at MSRP, but the majority are not.

I expect that to stop when the Sting Ray comes in.... but then it will be sold for over MSRP.

AMGsRock said:
I was originally thinking about the NSX as possible option, but it has become clear that it does not offer sufficient performance to even keep up with economy sports coupes.

While this is mostly true, you don't seem to be hurting for $$$, so If you like the NSX, buy one and slap on a SC or Turbo and you will not be dissapointed.

AMGsRock said:
WingZ said:
I didn't give my opinion because I did not know the answer to the origin of the Mercedes Banz name.

However, in regards to Honda and its NSX, I knew the answers. It is very clear that Honda continued to produce the NSX even though it was obsolete from a performance standpont compared to the competition since 1997. It is obvious that Honda had no interest in the NSX platform (including its followers) by 1997, since they refused to give it any performance enhancements over the next 8 years until finally realizing to ax it in 2005, something it should have done many years prior.

Also, I knew the purpose bult NSX-R track car was no match for the C6 Z06 and that it is much closer to the garden variety C6 Corvette in performance. The standard 3.2 as you can see on the chart is anemic by today's standards.

In regards to Mercedes, I know they make superior rear drive luxury vehicles. My E55 is clearly superior to the Honda RL. I know that Mercedes is willing to produce engines with some serious grunt, while Honda contines to make torqueless engines. I would also guess the All Mercedes Garbage entry level roadster SLK55 would destroy the NSX in acceleration, braking and lap times on a road course without breaking a sweat.

I love destroying exotic sports cars like the 360 and NSX in my All Garbage family sedan at stop lights and the freeway as their owners watch helplessly as my four door sedan's tailights quickly disappear from any speed.

I also know that when I buy a sports car this year that it will most likely be a C6 Z06 (once gouging has stopped). I was originally thinking about the NSX as possible option, but it has become clear that it does not offer sufficient performance to even keep up with economy sports coupes.

Finally, I know that my Garbage E55 is not ALL SHOW and NO GO like the NSX.

Awww isn't dat cute. Well at least you know it's garbage. Economy sportscoupes ( he's on a roll ) LoL oh well now that you know it's no NSX for you I guess it's back to the cave. Tell MB hello and we love them. Nice hopefully not ever hearing from you again. Cheers!

Hugh said:
Normally I don't feed trolls such as yourself but seriously now. :)

First of all drag racing is for fags and street racing is for cross dressing fags. Real men road race. That Teutonic Titanic E55 of yours would handle like the Queen Mary 2 on a race track and quickly become part of the surrounding landscape.

For 99.9% of everyday street driving, no one is ever going to use their car's full horsepower potential whether it's 200 or 600HP.

Why would I spend a fortune on a POS Benz that loses 50% of its value in less than 2 years. (See eBay auctions for undisputable proof of this) and that will start to fall apart when the warranty expires? I could write a check right now for just about any car on the planet but I happen to be smart and don't need to flaunt my net worth. Mercedes Benz has morphed into a rolling status symbol. Nothing more.

He'd been trying his hardest not to show his true colours and I was waiting for him to really let go. Now that he has we can fully ignore his posts as I hope everyone will.

NetViper said:
Hugh, You have no idea what you are talking about about on that one. Z06 are still going for well above MSRP and used are still selling for more than MSRP.

I have heard of a few dealers willing to sell at MSRP, but the majority are not.

I suppose it all boils down to where you are located. Here in South Florida you can get a Ford GT for around $5000 below MSRP. Other parts of the country are not so "fortunate". Same thing with Vettes. Down here there are 100s of them in stock at dealerships. I've been offered a ZO6 for slightly below MSRP when the dealer found out I was shopping for a Ford GT. If I walk into a Chevy dealership, check in hand for a ZO6 at MSRP or one or two K below there's no way they'll let me walk unless they're complete morons.

History repeats itself over and over again. Why do people fall for it every time? When the 360 first came out dealers wanted $300K for one. Now you can get one for a third of the price. The first few Ford GTs sold in the high $200K range. Is the desire to be "the first on the block" such a strong narcotic that it completely obliterates your last vestiges of common sense?

The market will be flooded with used C6 Corvettes in the not too distant future. The smart dealers know this and want to move as many cars as possible before the laws of supply and demand shift out of their favor.

NetViper said:
While this is mostly true, you don't seem to be hurting for $$$, so If you like the NSX, buy one and slap on a SC or Turbo and you will not be dissapointed.

I don't see why your being so nice to this person yet harsh to Hugh:confused:

I expect that to stop when the Sting Ray comes in.... but then it will be sold for over MSRP.

Is this the old bait and switch?

WingZ said:
I don't see why your being so nice to this person yet harsh to Hugh:confused:

Is this the old bait and switch?

I am not trying to be harsh to anyone. But you guys trashing AMG is not going to going over well with someone who owns AMG. I don't blame him for getting angry.

As for Hugh, he just likes to stir the pot. :)

Back