Acura NSX-T vs. Porsche 911 Turbo

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
I am curious, why was he banned in the first place?

As I recall, he was temporarily suspended (not banned) for disobeying the rules - being argumentative or attacking someone, I forget what. He earned the permanent ban because, while he was suspended, he tried evading the suspension by creating new usernames to post under.

Originally posted by G-man:
A few days ago, I bought a 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo... and it is unreal.

HP: 420hp, Torque: 560 Nm, 0-60: 4.2 seconds, 0-100: 9.2 seconds, Top speed: 189 mph. All-wheel-drive, Handling is telepathic. Steering input is effortless, yet not too light. It really is a driving experience unlike any other.

... and all of this adds up to (drum roll please) 3395 pounds!

G-man,

I have come to learn, in large part through my participation on this board, that comparing cars is like comparing girlfriends/wives/significant others. We all have equally valid opinions about which one has the best personality, nicest body, or whether blondes or brunettes are inherently sexier, but in the end, we make our choices and, with any luck, are happy with them.

In that spirit, please do not take this as a malicious put-down of your new purchase.

That said, as impressive as the specs are on your recent acquisition, I myself would have walked out of the dealership and never looked back the minute I learned of its weight (never mind the fact that I seriously dislike the styling on the 996 series).

Consider the following: the 996T weighs as much as the E46 M3 (literally 5 pounds separates them) -- a car that seats 4 adults comfortably and was roundly criticized for its obesity. The kicker being, of course, the M3, a GT if there ever was one, is widely looked upon as a porker in its class and it has no pretensions of being a sports car.

All of the trick all-wheel wheel drive, active handling circuitry, and big twin turbo power is, in my mind, a sorry trade-off for the fact that what used to be a small, nimble platform has grown to be longer, wider and heavier than just about anything we've been comparing it to.

Sure the 2002 996T is a terrific performer, but I for one admire the Lotus philosophy of doing more with less.

Let's put this extra heft into perspective.

The 2002 Corvette Z06 (enormous V8 powered American car) plus a 150 pound driver and a 140 pound passenger is about how much a 996T weighs.

A 2002 NSX plus a 200 pound driver is how much a 996T weighs.

A 1990 911 Carrera (964) plus a 150 pound driver and a 160 pound passenger is about how much a 996t weighs.

... or, comparing to my 340 hp 1993 Toyota MR2 turbo (
smile.gif
- I know you guys must have seen this coming): 657 pound difference!!! That's an extra family of four with each member weighing 164 pounds (yikes!). In case anyone is wondering whether my car is gutted, it is actually nicely equipped with a full interior, power steering, power windows and door locks, alarm system, full stereo with dual amplifiers and a boxed 10 inch subwoofer, air conditioning, cruise control, driver airbag, and a 110 pound 6 point roll cage. And yet it weighs 657 pounds less than a stock 996T.

Don't even get me started on the Lotus Elise/Exige comparisons.

As much as I admire the technological tour de force that the 996T represents, and the phenomenal performance numbers it is capable of, I would sooner give up the AWD, ABS, TCS, etc. etc. and stick with my mid-engined, RWD sports car over the 996T any day.

I prefer not only my MR2 to a 996T, but also the NSX for precisely this reason.

The NSX needs neither two turbos, nor AWD, nor a sophisticated brain directing power among the four wheels to be an involving and rewarding sports car. Same for the MR2. Same for the Elise/Exige.

So, G-Man, while I admire the "420hp, Torque: 560 Nm, 0-60: 4.2 seconds, 0-100: 9.2 seconds, Top speed: 189 mph" I would neither trade an NSX (stock or modified) or my 2738 pound MR2 for a 996T.

I'd prefer to leave the 657 pound family of four and their dog back at pit lane, thank you very much.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 27 August 2002).]

Whoa what is going on here? Is everyone starting to say that the NSX is not the ultimate vehicle under God's green earth? Wasn't I brainwashed from the other thread in believing there is no car equal to the NSX? I just sold my Ferraris and Lotus because they weren't on the same playing field. Tell me this ain't so.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Deqle:
Any of you guys see the last two post, they are good and honest. One reason why I will get another NSX in my garage when the siuation present itself. We here in the NSX community will never go to the P or F forum to start anything (save for that guy with the ENZOWHO plate), hehehe, we will keep all our opinion in house. But even in the F forum there were a part where several F owners who is also NSX owners repeatedly defended the NSX, and one said "The NSX is no Ferrari, but the Ferrari is no NSX, neither." Very well said. Same thing apply to a P or a Lambo, strength and weaknesses for each vehicles remember. But remember this is OUR TURF, just be fair, and honest and we will all get along.

I am one of those guys who defended the NSX in the Ferrari forum. I don't agree with how biased the Ferrari owners were but I see the same trend here. The NSX is a great car but it is not the best. What makes a better car? Really nothing. It's your own opinion on what the best car is. Hell, to my girlfriend the Toyota Camry is the best car ever, she doesn't even take a second look at my NSX,Ferrari, or Lotus. I can tell her how this handles so much better, how much faster this one is---she could care less, just don't touch her Camry. Each car has their pluses and minuses but that is what makes them great. If every car was built or handled or performed like an NSX this world would be kind of bland and real boring. It is change and difference that makes the world go round.

Like I have said so many times before, Which car brings that ear to ear grin when you slip behind the wheel of it? For me personally there are a few, but I get the biggest grin from the Lotus. Again I am not knocking the NSX, its just that its a tadbit smaller smile when I am in the NSX

Congratulations on unloading those pretenders Bill!

I mean, after all, one is just a dressed up kit car and the other just an NSX wannabe. In fact, just this past sunday a carload of young ladies motioned for me to roll my window down. When I had, the girl on the passenger side said "What kind of car is that, ... its beautiful!"

I replied with a smile, "An NSX."

"Wow! We thought it was just a Ferrari! It really looks cool!"

I thanked her and, with as much cool as I could muster, helped my sticking window up with my right hand, and eased away when the light changed.

(The quotes may not be exactly verbatim, but they are as I like to recall them.)
wink.gif

anvil

All this talk about the lotus V8 TT is making me want to check one out. Does anyone own one that will be close the NSXPO?

Originally posted by anvil:
Congratulations on unloading those pretenders Bill!

I mean, after all, one is just a dressed up kit car and the other just an NSX wannabe. In fact, just this past sunday a carload of young ladies motioned for me to roll my window down. When I had, the girl on the passenger side said "What kind of car is that, ... its beautiful!"

I replied with a smile, "An NSX."

"Wow! We thought it was just a Ferrari! It really looks cool!"

I thanked her and, with as much cool as I could muster, helped my sticking window up with my right hand, and eased away when the light changed.

(The quotes may not be exactly verbatim, but they are as I like to recall them.)
wink.gif

anvil

Hey don't forget about the Lotus now, you know that's the one I tired of real fast. I mean reaching 60 in 4 secs or 100 in 9.8 sec does seem a little bland by todays means. it gets boring after a while. The worst was when I would hit a bump and parts and fenders would fall off. You know everyone knows of these shortcomings.
biggrin.gif

On a serious note: You have no idea how many times someone has told me nice Ferrari, and I am not talking about chicks. I mean it is actually spelled out in the taillights for all to see

I just reread your post--kit car=Lotus (my mistake) So if the kitcar is the Lotus and the NSX wannabe is the 355, what is the testarossa?

[This message has been edited by bill92nsx (edited 27 August 2002).]

Originally posted by NetViper:
All this talk about the lotus V8 TT is making me want to check one out. Does anyone own one that will be close the NSXPO?

Netviper if you are ever in the new york area give me acall. I would definitely love to show you the Esprit. It is really a good car. Mine isn't all stock though, but nothing a few little mods (very inexpensive ones) though couldn't take care of.

You just have too many cars, ... I can't cover them all!! The Testarossa, ... hmmm, a wannabe Legend?? Naah, it just doesn't work. Maybe tomorrow.

By the way, the story was true (including the sticky glass, ... I juusst added one teeny eeny word.)

anvil

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
Netviper if you are ever in the new york area give me acall. I would definitely love to show you the Esprit. It is really a good car. Mine isn't all stock though, but nothing a few little mods (very inexpensive ones) though couldn't take care of.

I don't think I will ever be in new york
frown.gif
.. maybe one day.. I would love to check out all your cars though. Thanks for the offer.

Originally posted by Deqle:
are you interested in selling your to get a P, I have a friend who is interested, then you can go with the P brother and I don't even have to defend the NSX no more.

Actually, both my '00 911 Cabriolet and '91 NSX are for sale. If anyone is interested, contact me via email ([email protected]).

The 911 is bone stock, but heavily optioned. The NSX has a fair amount of cosmetic and performance modifications, but I every OEM part that came off the car to restore it to stock is included.

EDR

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
Ravetek was parking his NSX in the Handicap zones.

Originally posted by NetViper:
He wasn't acutally doing that.. he was just asking about it

If I recall correctly, wasn't he asking about it on the other NSX forums, not NSXprime...?

when is this race gonna take place? I wish i still had my 360 modena, can i bring my 10 thousand dollar yamaha r1? how cares what car is faster, the nsx isnt the fastest car on the earth but it isnt the slowest. My ferrari was faster but i can put 3k miles a month on my nsx withoput worring about a thing. If you guys want to feel power go to you local Yamah dealer and buy an r1 for 10k.10 flat at 145mph in the quarter bone stock.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
If I recall correctly, wasn't he asking about it on the other NSX forums, not NSXprime...?

I recall people calling him names (loser and the such) for asking about the handicap parking thing on the other NSX forum.

Next thing I know he became an admin for that site? Hmmm....

I am still waiting for word from the other players in this game. Hopefully people will find the time out of their schedule to do this, cause this is gonna to be fun and interesting.

HELLO BOYS! IM BACK! LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED AGAIN!

degle, are you really convinced that the nsx is the only car that will go 100,000 miles without breaking? have you brain washed yourself that well? a 996 with a supercharger not being able to go 100,000 miles? your right, it will far exceed that. ive seen turbos with 250,000 miles on them and going strong. how about daily driven 700 rear wheel hp turbos? i drove one for 3 years, and guess what, my friend has been driving it now for almost 3 more, with no problems. yes there are ferrari's, porsches,lamborghinis, lotus's, etc, that are driven with quite a few miles on them. when in doubt look at the euro based sites and see the miles listed for used exotics. they are all driven, and driven hard. here in the u.s. people are too occupied with rolling the odometers back for you to ever know the cars true mileage.get a grip, take a look in the tech section on this board and youll see nsx's have problems too.

boostedpos, you are right, weight is not a good factor in a performance car. not unless it is over compensated for by power and a well tuned suspension. my only question to you is, if you were going to build a toyota, why not a supra? atleast you could of had a real car, not a childs toy. as for your" id rather have my mr2 than a 996 tt" comment, yes that was very funny. i was rolling around on the floor when i read that one. your best line yet.

degle, in regards to your race, odds are it will never happen. no one is going to drive to new mexico to meet you. i certainly wont. so ive taken it upon myself to set up a race. something we wont have to wait for 5 months to find out about. Next week, a guy i met will be getting his basch supercharged car back with all the new ecu upgrades. the car will be dynoed and we have decided to do some roll on racing against my lotus. we decided on roll on, because neither one of us want to kill our clutches and trannys. besides mph is what shows hp, not et. it is a 91 nsx, with headers and exhaust also. i will post the dyno results, and i will make sure to video the race. i will post the results. who knows, maybe the nsx will beat me, they should have similar power to weight ratios.either way, we'll soon find out. place your bets now gentleman.

Hell yes, I am brainwash, boy. I got my money on the NSXS, of course. And where is that picture of a P with T or S breaking into the 100,000 mark without replacing the engine or trans, see all you do is talk, let's see some proof. As for that remark about ROLLBACK ODOMETER, I hope you are not doing the same thing, huh.

hahaha, a porsche tranny is one of the stronget trannies out there, they will easily handle 800hp with no mods. try that in your nsx.

in terms of betting, how much would you like to bet? i'll be happy to take your money.

my vision of the race.... its gonna be a slaughter. pretty funny though that the owner of the nsx thinks the same way though. he was very impressed by the lotus.

Proof, not talk, juveniles shit. Many of my friends had P and other cars,too, you are not the only one, and they don't have your mouth. Now how do we go about betting on this. Now if you think your Lotus is great, why don't we meet in between, El centro, there is a lot of room out there for fun.

Deqle porsches regularly break the 100,000 mark all the time without any problems. You are forgetting that the engine has been evolving for over 30 years. It is bulletproof. So is the tranny. Look around and you will see how many cars are for sale with more than 100,000 miles. I do not know where you get your info from. The sam egoes with Ferraris--the reason why alot of people have problems is because they do NOT drive them. They leave em sit for months at a time and that causes havoc on electrical plus major major wear on initila startup. You must have no idea how easy it is to disconnect the speedo on these cars-just unclip one wire. I have seen it done countless times. On the porsche it is even easier just switch the speedometer with one that reads less miles. Like Allan said it is the American way not put on miles on a car that percieved to be an exotic. In europe they drive the hell out of them and are still worth money. Over here anything over two thousands miles a year is concieved to be high mileage. If I wanted a garage queen or something to stare at I would have bought one of those 1:18 scale models. I would never invest in a car, you are bound to lose money in the long run. I had a friend who bought a 360modena for 170,000. He thought he could make a quick buck on it, but guess what he sold it for 135,000 and he drove it a total of 250 miles. A waste in my eyes. another 360 with 15,000 miles sold for 130,000. who the hell enjoyed the car more? And when you read about all these low mileage cars I do not believe anyone one bit. I have seen things that will make you secondguess your own cars mileage.

That said, Allan welcome back. And what do you mean you wouldn't pick a toyota mr2 with genIII motor in it over a McLaren? I would any second of the day because the mr2 rules

Back