348 or NSX thread on Ferarri chat

NetViper said:
I recall that issue, but I also recall them saying something didnt feel right with that NSX.. like it might have had a problem. Do you remember that?

Hey Dave,

you have a really good memory :D

What they mentioned was a possible alignment issue with the NSX:

From the article:

Also, our test NSX semed to have an alignment problem, resulting in numb steering feel and heavy understeer. Test driver Steve Millen agreed, "This car feels worse than the last NSX I drove" he commented.

Ken

Last edited:
NetViper said:
I recall that issue, but I also recall them saying something didnt feel right with that NSX.. like it might have had a problem. Do you remember that?

Yes, I'm looking at it. They mentioned the NSX had alignment issue.

BMI needs to race a NSX T with standard 360, instead of NSX-R all the time. They have established the R is faster around the track in BMI than the 360 and 360CS, and the fact that NSX-R is better than those cars in every aspect except accelaration. BUT, they just wouldn't use a NSX coupe and T, which is not fair.

BioBanker said:
Yeah, I dont doubt that the F360 is (way) better right out of the box, but a three second difference between the NSX and the S2000 doesnt sound right to me.

FYI, Doug Hayashi (Pulp Story Teller) used to do 2:12's with his stock S2000 at Thunderhill running with R-compounds or slicks (don't remember which) and high performance pads

The S2K lacks bottom end torque, regardless of HP, it has problems comming out of slow turns, it can carry momentum through the twisties because of the great handling, but once you kill the momentum the NSX accelarates faster than the S2K.

It all depends on the track too, so maybe your experience is on a different track ;)

This is a bit out of topic, but a couple of years back Road and Track did another comparo test at Buttonwillow and the AP2 S2K's laptimes lagged quite a bit of other cars in the field, same thing, the lack of low end torque had a big impact on laptimes :(

2slow2speed said:
FYI, The particular article that I am referring to was in the January 2001 issue of Road and Track, the title of the article is "Battle of the Brands".

The "hired shoe" was Steve Millen (yes that Steve Millen of IMSA/Le Mans fame) so lack of driving skills was not an issue.

The cars tested were:

Ferrari 550 vs 360
Porsche Turbo vs Boxster S
Acura/Honda NSX vs S2000
BMW Z8 vs M Roadster
Mercedes Benz SL500 vs SLK320
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs Camaro SS

Laptimes
Ferrari 360 2001 Modena 2:07.65
Corvette Z06 2001 2:08.39
Ferrar 550 2001 Maranello 2:09.25
Porsche 2001 911 Turbo 2:10.73
BMW Z8 2001 2:13.30
Acura 2001 NSX-T 2:14.15
Mercedes Benz 2001 SL500 2:16.05
Chevrolet Camaro SS 2001 2:16.46
BMW M Roadster 2001 2:17.28
Porsche 2001 Boxster S 2:17.46
Honda 2001 S2000 2:17.66
Mercedes Benz 2001 SLK320 2:20.87

0-60:
Ferrari 360 2001 Modena 4.3
Corvette Z06 2001 4.6
Ferrar 550 2001 Maranello 4.7
Porsche 2001 911 Turbo 4.0
BMW Z8 2001 4.5
Acura 2001 NSX-T 4.9
Mercedes Benz 2001 SL500 6.2
Chevrolet Camaro SS 2001 5.5
BMW M Roadster 2001 5.4
Porsche 2001 Boxster S 5.6
Honda 2001 S2000 4.9
Mercedes Benz 2001 SLK320 6.7

Slalom:
Ferrari 360 2001 Modena 67.4mph
Corvette Z06 2001 67.1mph
Ferrar 550 2001 Maranello 62.8mph
Porsche 2001 911 Turbo 4.0 67.8mph
BMW Z8 2001 62.3mph
Acura 2001 NSX-T 62.1mph
Mercedes Benz 2001 SL500 60.0mph
Chevrolet Camaro SS 2001 60.0mph
BMW M Roadster 2001 63.0mph
Porsche 2001 Boxster S 65.6mph
Honda 2001 S2000 65.9mph
Mercedes Benz 2001 SLK320 63.6mph

The NSX laptimes are very consistent with what I have seen at Thunderhill.

You can ask any of the many NorCal NSX owners who have ever driven their cars wether or not he/she has been anywhere close to 2:14 on their stock NSX at Thunderhill.

I've been to Thill more than 40 times with my heavily modified NSX, with R-compounds, a Big Ass wing, Vented Hood, NSX-R suspension, swaybars, intake, header, exhaust and putting down 270rwhp the best that I can manage is a 2:06~2:07's so knowing that a bone stock 360 Modena can do 2:07's is very humbling to say the least. Other race prepped NSX's with significant weight loss, engine mods and street tires, can barely get into the 2:05's (look at the NASA Open Track challenge laptimes for reference)

I roll my eyes everytime that I read these kind of posts because there are folks who simply refuse to accept reality.

Any NSX owner who is honest and has been on the track with a F360 with a good driver would know that the F360 handles better out of the box than a NA2 NSX and probably even better than the NSX-R.

If you believe that a 2002+ NA2 will make up 7 seconds because of a slightly wider rear tire and a "so called" stronger engine that many folks are referring to, then you are really drinking the cool-aid ;)

And to everyone who keeps quoting BMI stuff, get a life :mad:, you guys are total fanatics who take everything that BMI writes/produces as gospel without even thinking (visualize some zombies..) :p

Learn to drive the NSX at the limit on the track and then you should honestly asses the capabilities of the NSX against other cars instead of just bench racing all the time :cool:

Ah your missing me chief as I've said repeatedly NSX-T vs 360 Spyder and NSX coupe vs 360. Coupe to Coupe makes for a better comparison as those are the lightest stiffest versions. Unfortunately for us most magazine tests show the NSX-T. That's the reason why I didn't use R&T and Motortrend because ( at least from my collection ) I couldn't find coupe versions of the NA2 NSX tested. With C&D I was able to find a coupe and Zanardi tests which both fare much better than the NSX-T against the 360 Modena.

C&D 7/99

Zanardi does 0-60 4.8 1/4 13.2@106 street start 5-60 5.7secs 164ft 70-0 braking and 93g on skidpad

C&D 11/99

360 Modena does 0-60 4.5 1/4 13.0@112 street start 5-60 5.6 159ft 70-0 braking and 96g on skidpad

Sorry no slalom times are posted. I don't live in Norcal so I can't ask anyone about the "Hill". I've driven Willow springs and will probably do Laguna Seca next year , but since I'm in the midwest/eastcoast area I'm usually just driving tracks within a days driving distance like Gingerman , Summit Point , Beaverrun , Waterford.

Hmmm I honestly don't know either way if NA2's from 02+ are stronger or not since I've never driven anything ,but 02+. Also since neither of us has driven an NSX-R nor have any performance numbers for it , why assume it's capabilities. Unless of course you have driven or do have some performance numbers. Which of course I was asking if anyone had a few posts ago.

You've made a lot of snide comments and I've been nothing but nice. I stated clearly in earlier posts that I was referring to magazine times stating that the cars performance was/is comparable. I compared similar models stating what I compared so as not to make any vague references. Why the attitude?? You didn't even ask me if I did any track events before accusing me of "bench racing". Everything you wanted to convey you could have w/o the attitude or at least w/o the cynicism. If you had read my posts you would've seen clearly what I was referring to and most of this would have been unnecessary.

enigma said:
The bad thing about BMI when they do tests like that is that they always put the best driver in the NSX-R so it has the absolute best chance at appearing to be better than the rest... That's the only thing I don't like about BMI.

Well the breaking problem on the 360 was obvious, the nsx over heated right in the end which is very rare, the badmobile was slow in the turns and heavy, the gallardo and porsche and nsx seemed best in the group. All the drivers are race car drivers not amatures but true they did put the best one in the NSX.

WingZ said:
Ah your missing me chief as I've said repeatedly NSX-T vs 360 Spyder and NSX coupe vs 360. Coupe to Coupe makes for a better comparison as those are the lightest stiffest versions. Unfortunately for us most magazine tests show the NSX-T. That's the reason why I didn't use R&T and Motortrend because ( at least from my collection ) I couldn't find coupe versions of the NA2 NSX tested. With C&D I was able to find a coupe and Zanardi tests which both fare much better than the NSX-T against the 360 Modena.

C&D 7/99

Zanardi does 0-60 4.8 1/4 13.2@106 street start 5-60 5.7secs 164ft 70-0 braking and 93g on skidpad

C&D 11/99

360 Modena does 0-60 4.5 1/4 13.0@112 street start 5-60 5.6 159ft 70-0 braking and 96g on skidpad

Sorry no slalom times are posted. I don't live in Norcal so I can't ask anyone about the "Hill". I've driven Willow springs and will probably do Laguna Seca next year , but since I'm in the midwest/eastcoast area I'm usually just driving tracks within a days driving distance like Gingerman , Summit Point , Beaverrun , Waterford.

Hmmm I honestly don't know either way if NA2's from 02+ are stronger or not since I've never driven anything ,but 02+. Also since neither of us has driven an NSX-R nor have any performance numbers for it , why assume it's capabilities. Unless of course you have driven or do have some performance numbers. Which of course I was asking if anyone had a few posts ago.

You've made a lot of snide comments and I've been nothing but nice. I stated clearly in earlier posts that I was referring to magazine times stating that the cars performance was/is comparable. I compared similar models stating what I compared so as not to make any vague references. Why the attitude?? You didn't even ask me if I did any track events before accusing me of "bench racing". Everything you wanted to convey you could have w/o the attitude or at least w/o the cynicism. If you had read my posts you would've seen clearly what I was referring to and most of this would have been unnecessary.

No I have not driven a NSX-R, but my 97 NSX-T had the NSX-R suspension, sway bars, Comptech non-compliance bushing/toe links, Comptech front non-compliance clamps, a Stoptech BBK, a vented NSX-R style hood as well as a big ass wing, running with R-compounds tires and track oriented alignment settings, I/H/E putting down 270rwhp and a 150lbs weight reduction and I could barely match the laptimes of a stock F360 Modena.

After being many times on the same track that the 2:07's was posted I can honestly say that a 2:07 on a stock F360 is an indication of how good of a car the F360 is. I have no problems admitting that, it's understandable given that it's a newer and more modern car.

Aftern been on track with F355/F355Challenge/F360/F360CS/F430/F550/F575 (ignoring the earlier models because they were not close to the NSX in regards to performance), from all of those cars the F355 Challenge/F360/F360CS/F430 are superior cars to the NSX when it comes down to handling. The F550 and F575 make up for their lack of handling by raw power.

BTW: I wasn't really directing the flame about bench racing towards you, I was directing the flame to all the folks who keep quoting BMI videos as proof that the NSX/NSX-R being superior to all the other cars tested. In other words I don't enjoy interacting with people who are "fanatics" and are not objective about things, in other words "idiot zombies" who can't really tell what a car is doing. Kind of reminds me of the people that I see driving on the street who think that they can drive because they drive a car that is brand "X" and can drive fast in a straight line, they relate their ability to drive to their car, instead of taking/making the time to become better drivers themselves.

To all of those folks I say again, get a life, and stop living vicariously by watching videos or playing Gran Turismo games and taking that as gospel, if you actually become a resonable driver and know the handling dynamics of a stock NSX you will realize that there are many other cars that are capable of outhandling the NSX in stock form, and possibly even the NSX-R, because there are other cars that can generate more lateral g's and have better traction and can put the power down better.

I had the NA2 NSX-R suspension on my NSX-T for close to 20K miles, the suspension was one of the best ones available for the NSX, but it pales in comparison to the suspension that is available on other modern sport cars, my MKII 996GT3 had a better suspension and even my lowly 987S with PASM has a better suspension (it can do the slalom at 73.9+mph, that is crazy :eek: even faster than a Lotus Elise that can do the slalom at 72.6mph and the Enzo that can do the slalom at 73mph,), it's sad but true, the newer suspensions are livable on the street as well as being great for the track.

Again, I'm being honest and not trying to diss the NSX.

As a platform to be improved on it is a great starting point, but stock vs stock it pales in comparison with what the F360 offers out of the box in regards to handling.

And to clarify I don't own a F-car nor do I plan to own one anytime soon, I'm basing my views solely on the handling and performance of the cars as I've seen on the track and not on some 2nd hand information from someone else.

BTW: Since you asked about the NSX-R numbers, I dug some up for you, from the April 2004 issue of EVO's article "The Greatest Drivers Cars" 0-60mph 4.4 sec, Max Speed: 168mph, Weight 1270kg (2794lbs), no lateral g numbers nor slalom (slalom depends on the spacing of the cones too so it's pretty much useless unless it's from magazines that use the same spacing)

Getting back on topic
I would personally not take a F348 over any NSX, it's simply not worth it in regards to cost nor the performance benefit, the only benefit that I see is being able to say "I own a Ferrari", yeah right.. :rolleyes:

2slow2speed said:
No I have not driven a NSX-R, but my 97 NSX-T had the NSX-R suspension, sway bars, Comptech non-compliance bushing/toe links, Comptech front non-compliance clamps, a Stoptech BBK, a vented NSX-R style hood as well as a big ass wing, running with R-compounds tires and track oriented alignment settings, I/H/E putting down 270rwhp and a 150lbs weight reduction and I could barely match the laptimes of a stock F360 Modena.

After being many times on the same track that the 2:07's was posted I can honestly say that a 2:07 on a stock F360 is an indication of how good of a car the F360 is. I have no problems admitting that, it's understandable given that it's a newer and more modern car.

Aftern been on track with F355/F355Challenge/F360/F360CS/F430/F550/F575 (ignoring the earlier models because they were not close to the NSX in regards to performance), from all of those cars the F355 Challenge/F360/F360CS/F430 are superior cars to the NSX when it comes down to handling. The F550 and F575 make up for their lack of handling by raw power.

BTW: I wasn't really directing the flame about bench racing towards you, I was directing the flame to all the folks who keep quoting BMI videos as proof that the NSX/NSX-R being superior to all the other cars tested. In other words I don't enjoy interacting with people who are "fanatics" and are not objective about things, in other words "idiot zombies" who can't really tell what a car is doing. Kind of reminds me of the people that I see driving on the street who think that they can drive because they drive a car that is brand "X" and can drive fast in a straight line, they relate their ability to drive to their car, instead of taking/making the time to become better drivers themselves.

To all of those folks I say again, get a life, and stop living vicariously by watching videos or playing Gran Turismo games and taking that as gospel, if you actually become a resonable driver and know the handling dynamics of a stock NSX you will realize that there are many other cars that are capable of outhandling the NSX in stock form, and possibly even the NSX-R, because there are other cars that can generate more lateral g's and have better traction and can put the power down better.

I had the NA2 NSX-R suspension on my NSX-T for close to 20K miles, the suspension was one of the best ones available for the NSX, but it pales in comparison to the suspension that is available on other modern sport cars, my MKII 996GT3 had a better suspension and even my lowly 987S with PASM has a better suspension (it can do the slalom at 73.9+mph, that is crazy :eek: even faster than a Lotus Elise that can do the slalom at 72.6mph and the Enzo that can do the slalom at 73mph,), it's sad but true, the newer suspensions are livable on the street as well as being great for the track.

Again, I'm being honest and not trying to diss the NSX.

As a platform to be improved on it is a great starting point, but stock vs stock it pales in comparison with what the F360 offers out of the box in regards to handling.

And to clarify I don't own a F-car nor do I plan to own one anytime soon, I'm basing my views solely on the handling and performance of the cars as I've seen on the track and not on some 2nd hand information from someone else.

BTW: Since you asked about the NSX-R numbers, I dug some up for you, from the April 2004 issue of EVO's article "The Greatest Drivers Cars" 0-60mph 4.4 sec, Max Speed: 168mph, Weight 1270kg (2794lbs), no lateral g numbers nor slalom (slalom depends on the spacing of the cones too so it's pretty much useless unless it's from magazines that use the same spacing)

Getting back on topic
I would personally not take a F348 over any NSX, it's simply not worth it in regards to cost nor the performance benefit, the only benefit that I see is being able to say "I own a Ferrari", yeah right.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up. Dang it that's about all the info I've ever seen is the 4.4 0-60. Wow less than 2800lbs??? that's about 59lbs less than my S2K:eek: Crazy! Hey if you don't mind I'm going to pm you as you have some track mods I'm considering and I'd like to ask you a couple of questions about them.

This thread refuses to die on the F board, and is still going strong here!
I for one find it somewhat insulting comparing a 348 to an NSX.
There was no comparison in 1991? What has changed? Am I missing something? The only thing I can see that has changed is the price of the 348.
It has fallen to the point where you can own either one now and some
cant handle it. LOL LOL

...........:rolleyes:

Just to keep the ball rolling........

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2003/February/Ferrari/index.html

Ferrari has traditionally been a follower when it comes to technology. Enzo Ferrari was legendary for his resistance to disc brakes and mid-engined cars. The 348 finally featured up-to-date components, and its innovative use of manufacturing technology set it far ahead of the supercar competition. The 348 was designed to be built faster, cheaper and less labor-intensive than any previous Ferrari.

So was this 100-mile 348 coupe a good buy? It depends on if you want a 100-mile 348 coupe. Despite the significance the 348 may have played in Ferrari's manufacturing history, it was a dud in the marketplace. Its design was uninspiring and the impressive drivetrain performance was compromised by a far-less-impressive chassis. The electronics, perhaps in an unintended homage to the notoriously finicky Mondials, were plagued with gremlins that caused warning lights to illuminate erroneously, and control computers to fail prematurely. There weren't enough problems to call the 348 a bad car, but there were too many to call it a good one.

Further, the 355 and the 360 that followed were better cars in every way, including that all-important aspect of visual appeal. Without question, you'll get more attention showing up at a club meet in a Modena Spyder than you will in a 348 coupe.

At the right price a good 348 offers an enormous amount of performance for not much money, but you get no prancing horse swagger. Furthermore, it will never appreciate.

I used to own an S2000; what an amazing car. I want it back!

If Doug was running 2:12s, but with Rcomps, thats probably about the same as 2:17ish's without rubber.

So what youre saying is that a pretty much stock S2000 with rubber is faster on Thunderhill than a stock 97+ NSX?

That doesnt sound right to me, still, but most of my experience is at Mosport (which is another momentum track). Video of me doing it HERE

2slow2speed said:
FYI, Doug Hayashi (Pulp Story Teller) used to do 2:12's with his stock S2000 at Thunderhill running with R-compounds or slicks (don't remember which) and high performance pads

The S2K lacks bottom end torque, regardless of HP, it has problems comming out of slow turns, it can carry momentum through the twisties because of the great handling, but once you kill the momentum the NSX accelarates faster than the S2K.

It all depends on the track too, so maybe your experience is on a different track ;)

This is a bit out of topic, but a couple of years back Road and Track did another comparo test at Buttonwillow and the AP2 S2K's laptimes lagged quite a bit of other cars in the field, same thing, the lack of low end torque had a big impact on laptimes :(

BioBanker said:

If Doug was running 2:12s, but with Rcomps, thats probably about the same as 2:17ish's without rubber.

So what youre saying is that a pretty much stock S2000 with rubber is faster on Thunderhill than a stock 97+ NSX?

That doesnt sound right to me, still, but most of my experience is at Mosport (which is another momentum track). Video of me doing it HERE

Dude you ran down a V70R????? you the man!!!!:eek: Just kidding nice driving. Was the M3 supercharged as well!

I was planning to stay out of it of the F' board, honest.
Cant help myself......... Its just too funny not to keep it going.

BioBanker said:

Yep a stock 2001 AP1 S2K with rubber was faster than a stock 2001 NA2 at Thunderhill ;)

I checked www.nsxfiles.com and looked at Chapter 86 "S2000's at Thunderhill", from Doug's own words:

Pulp Story Teller said:
Anyways, the point of this title of this story is that at this event, we had six S2000 under 2:12 at Thunderhill. The six fastest S2000 at this event were:

1. David Kennedy - 2:08.121 - Supercharged, Moton, Hoosiers

2. Aaron Bitterman - 2:08.820 - Stock engine and suspension, Hoosiers, straight pipe

3. Rylan Hazelton - 2:09.779 - Stock engine and suspension, Hoosiers, straight pipe

4. Jason Rhoades - 2:11.280 - Stock engine, suspension and exhaust, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.
[Jason's comments: Would've been faster, but a slow-ass Miata ruined my best lap. Thanks to RM Racing for the chin spoiler.]

5. Josh Goldberg - 2:11.424 - Stock engine and suspension,

6. Doug Hayashi - 2:11.775 - Stock engine and suspension, Hoosiers. (Note: This is my time from first day. Car suspension was screwed up on Day 2. Everyone else's time are Day 2 times. If my car was working, I woulda coulda shoulda been on top, or near the top. <grin>)

So now, anyone that thinks that S2000 drivers suck, let's see if you can get a group of similar street cars that can get six cars/drivers under 2:12 at Thunderhill in relatively STOCK cars with race tires. You must use transponders for timing, none of that stopwatch crap. Wasserman and Dearing, OTC participants, were at this event with their Vipers and they ran 2:07 and 2:08, narrowly beating Aaron and Dave in their S2000s. But I don't think they can get four other Viper friends under 2:12. I am sure you Mustang guys can't get six stock Mustangs under 2:12. I know we can't get six stock NSXs under 2:12 at the same event. BMW Club events don't use timing, so they lose by default, among other things.

I maintain that the Speedventures format for their track events is building an army of fast S2000 drivers. Everyone is improving their driving skills and getting a lot faster, and more competitive. You guys that aren't using timing.....we are gonna leave you in the dust! Pretty soon you will ban S2000 drivers from your event, as you don't want to be passed by the little Honda four cylinder cars. <grin>

If you non-S2000 drivers can get six drivers with the same make of stock car under 2:12 at Thunderhill in the same event, let me know, and I will post your names and pictures on this website, and make you famous. Until then, the S2000 guys are kicking your ass all over Thunderhill......

And to the other folks reading, this is just a little bit more information to add that reflects/should make it easier to realize how good of a laptime a 2:07's out of a fully stock F360 really is, now back to the regular programming...

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that on another one of Doug's posts he mentioned that he got down to the 2:12's at Thill with his F355 running some old Hoosiers....

Pulp Story Teller said:
I take the car on the track, thrash it for about 10 laps, and then bring the car in. I am only running about 2:28 lap times, as I still need to get the hang of the track. I open up the engine lid, and everything got so hot, that it burned off all the leaking fluids. And, it is not leaking. Curious. Maybe thrashing the car at the track got the tranny/motor so hot, the gaskets expanded, and everything sealed up? Unlikely, but let's do another session. Ferrari motors run extremely hot, you can see heat rising up from the engine compartment when you are at a stop light. For example, at a stop light, the temperature on my F355 will go from 190 degrees to 210 or so by the time the light turns green.

The Mustang guys at this even are familiar with this track, and they are blowing by me with their video cameras recording the moment. I don't blame them, I would be doing the same thing! This session, I follow Scott H., Mustang driver, around the track, and I drop another 8 seconds off my lap time, so I am down to 2:20. Thanks Scott! Thunderhill is an awesome track. It is fast, challenging, and a lot of fun. It could be one of my favorite tracks!

Checking to see if any parts fell off

I go out for another session, thrash the car for 10 laps, run a 2:17, bring it in and check it. Nothing leaking. I check the oil level and the tranny fluid level.....seems okay. What the heck. I continue to do about 3 more sessions, and I get down to a 2:12. Not spectacular, but I don't want to take a chance at flying off the track into a cow with the F355. I have never been to a track with green grass in the run off area. I am not sure what would happen if you spun off and hit the grass with your brakes locked up. Would you slide for a 100 feet? Would the tires stick in the soft grass as you go sideways, thus causing you to flip?

That is amazing that S2000s are so fast! I bet that disappears on tracks which arnt necessarily momentum tracks, but the thought that one can have such a great little disposable track car for so little money, that is street legal, fun as hell and super cheap to run and maintain, makes me giddy.

Hillarious that in Doug's hands that he was able to get his S2000 around the track faster than his F355, too.

NSXGMS said:
Because, as a previous poster stated, many, many of the owners of 308/328/348/355 are "wannabe" Ferrari owners. They are barely able to afford and probably can't afford a 360/550/575 and they get very defensive when questioned about the status of their cars. They just have the little horsey, a great exhaust note and some ancient heritage to cling to...BTW, where was Ferrari racing between Lauda and Schumacher? In the crapper. :rolleyes:

The biggest joke IMO is that Ferrari simply doesn't care what happens to their cars after 2-3 years. If you can't afford to buy new then Ferrari isn't interested in you. Hello--this is a company that blackballs you if you go anywhere other than a dealer. Is is adding up yet?

Anyone who questions Ferrari or weighs the difference between an NSX and Ferrari shouldn't be buying a Ferrari--and Ferrari doesn't want you. The NSX is superior to the 348 in every possible way except for the exhaust note :rolleyes: which can be remedied with a Tubi. Ferrari profits from wealthy, loyal snobs who buy cars based on what emblem is on them. I did notice some F owners telling it like it is and basically saying the NSX is a better car but you own a Ferrari b/c you love Ferrari. At least they're honest.

I'm not saying I would not own a Ferrari. I wish I could own one. But the only F I'd own is the 599GTB or the F430 because thinking I could "afford" anything else would be delusional. Used Fs are not "deals". They're cheaper because they're older & crappier.

The only other alternative would be if I absolutely LOVED a particular model(s) and wanted to essentially "collect" it and put $ into it and keep it for a long time. I could see that with a F355 or a 512TR or something older.

But for anyone to think they can drive it all the time and save money by buying used and just get into the "club" is nonsense. Ferrari the company isn't standing behind you so why do it?
Keep dreaming...most 3x8s love the car for the cars sake and not just because it has a Ferrari badge.

Just because it is slower and older does not equate crappier unless you are 15.

Think why would anyone buy a Jaguar XKE? They don't handle very well at all, nor are they that fast. And not everyone who buys one wants it as a museum piece. When you realize why anyone in their right mind would buy something like that, you can understand why someone would buy a classic Ferrari. Same logic.

Also, not all 3x8 owners want a newer ferrari...would be surprised how many think cars after the XXX (308/328/348/360/name your car) are ugly.

tumbler said:
exactly, I don't hear of many guys who are considering 1991 to 1992 Testarossa's ?

But I sure more buyers scooping up '91 , 92 NSX's :D

and for every day driving, grocery shopping and then beating it to death on the track, is there any better car than the NSX, not in my book :confused:
They didn't make a TR in 92, only a 512TR which is still in relative demand (prices have been pretty steady for a few years now at 90-100k, though as of late some have crept up).

As soon as I saw this it made me think of this thread....

"Designed by Pininfarina, the very same firm that gives Ferrari sports cars their stylish lines."

HERE

Nothing against Pininfarina as they have some beautiful creations, but come on.

-j-

NetViper said:
Personally I think the 512TR is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I would take one in a heart beat. I still want to one day. Too bad they are not exactly reliable or easy to work on. :(
512TR's fixed most of the issues with the original TR and put it in a package that was nearly as fast as a 355. The F512m fixed just about every thing...

jimmycinla said:
The 348 was a big hiccup in that series of Ferraris, mid engine 2 seater, and the 355 wasnt much better. Unfortunately Ferrari tried to make a mini TestaRossa and they made an eyesore. They cleaned it up with the 355 but it was still a wedge.
If you were to line up the all the Ferraris in that series from the 206 in '67(my favorite) - to the f430, the 348 and 355 just don't fit or follow the design flow.

-j-
Incidently the 355 was the car that saved the company from going broke in the mid 90s.

BioBanker said:
Like I said in that thread, I bet that most of the guys on that board wouldnt own their cars if they had a different brand stamped on them; but yet they call themselves auto enthusiasts.

No doubt there are a few there who love their cars for what they are: invigorating driving machines, but I bet its just that, a few.

Shame really.
Ironic. Most of the owners on FC actually have owned a larger variety of cars then you can imagine, if not still do.

WingZ said:
Thanks this continues to affirm the NA2 was indeed on par with the 360 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

It's surprising how many NSX guys don't know how close/almost identical performance of the NA2 is to the 360 model Ferrari. Oh w/o leaving you stranded or paying for you mechanics kid to go to an ivy league school..LoL sorry Ferrari guys that was just a joke 360 is a nice piece.
Though the NSX NA2 is about the same as a 355, a 360 is a bit faster, if not on paper, in real life. It feels more torquey.

jimmycinla said:
As soon as I saw this it made me think of this thread....

"Designed by Pininfarina, the very same firm that gives Ferrari sports cars their stylish lines."

HERE

Nothing against Pininfarina as they have some beautiful creations, but come on.

-j-
Pininfarina is just a design studio. Not all Ferrari's are Pinin's, and not all Pinin's are Ferraris. What Pinin does is relatively independent of Ferrari and vice versa, though as of late Ferrari works very closely with Pinin on joint-projects to insure proper aero.

MCM said:
This thread refuses to die on the F board, and is still going strong here!
I for one find it somewhat insulting comparing a 348 to an NSX.
There was no comparison in 1991? What has changed? Am I missing something? The only thing I can see that has changed is the price of the 348.
It has fallen to the point where you can own either one now and some
cant handle it. LOL LOL

...........:rolleyes:

Just to keep the ball rolling........

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2003/February/Ferrari/index.html

Ferrari has traditionally been a follower when it comes to technology. Enzo Ferrari was legendary for his resistance to disc brakes and mid-engined cars. The 348 finally featured up-to-date components, and its innovative use of manufacturing technology set it far ahead of the supercar competition. The 348 was designed to be built faster, cheaper and less labor-intensive than any previous Ferrari.

So was this 100-mile 348 coupe a good buy? It depends on if you want a 100-mile 348 coupe. Despite the significance the 348 may have played in Ferrari's manufacturing history, it was a dud in the marketplace. Its design was uninspiring and the impressive drivetrain performance was compromised by a far-less-impressive chassis. The electronics, perhaps in an unintended homage to the notoriously finicky Mondials, were plagued with gremlins that caused warning lights to illuminate erroneously, and control computers to fail prematurely. There weren't enough problems to call the 348 a bad car, but there were too many to call it a good one.

Further, the 355 and the 360 that followed were better cars in every way, including that all-important aspect of visual appeal. Without question, you'll get more attention showing up at a club meet in a Modena Spyder than you will in a 348 coupe.

At the right price a good 348 offers an enormous amount of performance for not much money, but you get no prancing horse swagger. Furthermore, it will never appreciate.
What has changed is that the 348 is considered a 'classic' ferrari, whereas the NSX STILL is considered a modern car by most.

Back