348 or NSX thread on Ferarri chat

Hmm,

Acutually, most of the Ferrari-people seem to respect the NSX for what it is. But some seem to have that 'nothing beats Ferrari because of heritage etc.'-attitude.

I reminds me of another thread that was posted here some time ago on a discussing about the actual HP the new Ferrari F430 has. The thread was actually quite long with a lot of people posting that they are not really interesting in how much the F430 puts down on the wheels because 'Owning a Ferrari is not all about performance but just as much of statement, class, heritage etc. etc.' So in the end, no one still knew how much the F430 puts down :confused:
Reading that thread made me wonder if those same people who have bought a Ferrari would still have bought the same car if it had a top speed of 100 mph.
My guess is that they wouldn't.

This is a great discussion actually although some of it misguided, I know its not available here but some of these guys should take a drive in an NSX-R ... - I have owned 3 NSX's and I absolutely love them, I am always thinking of taking the step and getting a 355 which I really like and looks beautiful also but its the reliability and general costs that put me off, the final nail in the coffin in potential Ferrari ownership came a month ago when some friends and I were signed up for one of the RWDRIVING.COM events in Carmel, the day before we were due to go down and drive the F430, Lambo, GT40 etc the F430 burst into flames and burned to the ground whilst being driven ... 4 wheels an engine and a pile of ash was all that was left! Has that ever happened to an NSX ?

A good friend of mine who was a professional racer for many many years (recently retired) has owned a lot of Ferraris over the years plus a lot of other stuff, he keeps coming back to the NSX due to its overall performance and reliability - even when money isnt an issue - says it drives him up the wall that for the money that you pay you just dont know if you are going to get to where you are going or not (said the same about the Lotus's ...)

Kye

To me, owning an Fcar would probably be more of a hassel than anything else. The only people who can justify entering such a love hate relationship with a vehicle are the ones who live and die by the prancing horse, or at least live and die by the image.

The brand means nothing to me, and Id rather not be seen driving a Fcar myself, so I choose the car that is less likely to piss me off and most likely to keep me smiling for obscene durations.

And what a wonderful experience its been so far.

BioBanker said:
The brand means nothing to me, and Id rather not be seen driving a Fcar myself, so I choose the car that is less likely to piss me off and most likely to keep me smiling for obscene durations.

And what a wonderful experience its been so far.

I absolutely have got to agree with this statement :smile: :smile:

Anyone who buys a 348 over an NSX deserves to wait on the side of the road for a tow truck. :biggrin:

I used to have a Porsche 996, I sold it after i got my NSX....NSX is slower,but cheaper and more fun to drive.
people just need to drive it before they make any comments.
I didn't like NSX,RX7 and Supra before...but now...after actully own them and drive them...i will never sell them...
This happens a lot on every forums....I have seen a lot topic like this on RX7,Supra,Miata,Imprea forums...
For me....it doesn't matter...as long as i like it...then it's a nice car.

kye said:
This is a great discussion actually although some of it misguided, I know its not available here but some of these guys should take a drive in an NSX-R ...

After driving the NSX-R no one would buy an F355 or F360...at least not anyone who is interested in going fast around a track.

kye said:
A good friend of mine who was a professional racer for many many years (recently retired) has owned a lot of Ferraris over the years plus a lot of other stuff, he keeps coming back to the NSX due to its overall performance and reliability - even when money isnt an issue - says it drives him up the wall that for the money that you pay you just dont know if you are going to get to where you are going or not (said the same about the Lotus's ...)

Kye

You're never ever going to be able to drive a Ferrari anywhere near the way you can drive an NSX. If you want a car that starts and runs when you want don't get a Ferrari or any other exotic, really. Get an NSX. Ever seen a Ferrari with 100,000 miles? Not me.

As I said before, if you're seriously weighing the difference between the two then the Ferrari isn't for you. When you buy that car you also buy all the crap that comes with it. Sometimes I think Ferrari owners actually enjoy saying "my Ferrari's in the shop." It's like they're masochists or something--a status symbol to have the Ferrari in the shop. :confused:

Used Ferrari's, IMO, are for suckers. They will drain time and money out of you--unless you have endless supplies of both and in that case why wouldn't you buy a new Ferrari? It's what I call the Ferrari paradox. There's two types of Ferrari owners: those who buy new and everyone else...:wink:

jond said:
NSX = Timeless

exactly, I don't hear of many guys who are considering 1991 to 1992 Testarossa's ?

But I sure more buyers scooping up '91 , 92 NSX's :D

and for every day driving, grocery shopping and then beating it to death on the track, is there any better car than the NSX, not in my book :confused:

I think those kinds of threads are always going to end up one sided anyway. After all, it is a Ferrari forum. The same thing would happen if someone else came here and asked us a similar question.

I frequent Ferrarichat regularly only because the Ferrari is like a symbol of having it all (this was my thinking when I was a kid). These days, I look at a Ferrari and whenever I see one, it is usually valeted at the local strip club or in some rap video. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted a Ferrari but I guess that was more of me wishing I was rich (I equate ownership of one {new model} to being rich). Now that I'm a car nut, I would say that I would have to drive the car that I'm looking at to determine whether or not it was for me. Ferrarichat has a lot of useful information for Ferrari ownership or those who want to own one. In fact, I know there is one guy who knows where every Enzo is in the world.

The thing I hate about Ferrarichat is the snobs who overrun it with Ferrari rules versus all cars. I remember reading a thread where it was Porsche Carrera GT vs an F430. Come on. How can you compare a F430 to a CGT??? And of course, most responses said they would take an F430 any day and that the CGT was only a "Porsche" :rolleyes:

tumbler said:
exactly, I don't hear of many guys who are considering 1991 to 1992 Testarossa's ?

But I sure more buyers scooping up '91 , 92 NSX's :D

and for every day driving, grocery shopping and then beating it to death on the track, is there any better car than the NSX, not in my book :confused:

Personally I think the 512TR is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I would take one in a heart beat. I still want to one day. Too bad they are not exactly reliable or easy to work on. :(

NetViper said:
Personally I think the 512TR is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I would take one in a heart beat. I still want to one day. Too bad they are not exactly reliable or easy to work on. :(

I agree. The Testarossa is Ferrari to me, especially growing up in the 80s. What a car. In the 80s was there anything cooler? It looked shockingly beautiful. A must for any super car collection.

Yes, they are a nightmare to work on, break all the time, interior is horrible and they handle like a pig...:rolleyes: But don't tell that to the Fchat guys.:wink:

coming to think of it... I once "raced" an F355 Berlina stop light to stop light.
Salesman and soon to be owner looked over with a grin as we were lined up next to each other, F355 driver(sales guy) reved at me as to solicit me for a challenge (beautiful sound btw)...
I said what's in it for me??
He said: "uh, I'll give you a Ferrari shirt IF you win" :biggrin: Me : "ok" .
Sales guy's customer leans over and says: What's in it for me?
Me: "Satisfaction of owning a Ferrari!??" [while thinking, yeah whatever]

Subsequently the light turns green and the NSX(SC'd) is first at the next light :smile: :smile: I stopped by the dealership to pickup my "trophy" next day and have since not found a reason to wear the nice polo with embroidered prancing horse. Perhaps it'll serve me well as a QD towel for my NSX :biggrin:

I must add that the whole experience was friendly and reasonably safe given the circumstances and environment. I love myNSX

S-TO-8K said:
coming to think of it... I once "raced" an F355 Berlina stop light to stop light.
Salesman and soon to be owner looked over with a grin as we were lined up next to each other, F355 driver(sales guy) reved at me as to solicit me for a challenge (beautiful sound btw)...
I said what's in it for me??
He said: "uh, I'll give you a Ferrari shirt IF you win" :biggrin: Me : "ok" .
Sales guy's customer leans over and says: What's in it for me?
Me: "Satisfaction of owning a Ferrari!??" [while thinking, yeah whatever]

Subsequently the light turns green and the NSX(SC'd) is first at the next light :smile: :smile: I stopped by the dealership to pickup my "trophy" next day and have since not found a reason to wear the nice polo with embroidered prancing horse. Perhaps it'll serve me well as a QD towel for my NSX :biggrin:

I must add that the whole experience was friendly and reasonably safe given the circumstances and environment. I love myNSX

I wonder what color NSX he bought.

-j-

there will always be misinformed people in marque specific sites... including this one. there are people who talk smack on both sides who've never driven or even sat in the cars. ferraris do have reliability issues... but not to the extent that some of you may think. there are thousands of ferrari owners who put many miles on their cars without any issues. i've seen ridiculous numbers thrown around here and other sites like $10k major service and $25k engine rebuild for a 355 :rolleyes:
people rely too heavily on what they heard and read.

by the way... i'm nsxnick on ferrarichat and i always defend the nsx.

Am I the only one who thinks the replies on this site, no matter which car comparo, is far more mature than Ferrarichat? :)

nicholas421 said:
there will always be misinformed people in marque specific sites... including this one. there are people who talk smack on both sides who've never driven or even sat in the cars. ferraris do have reliability issues... but not to the extent that some of you may think. there are thousands of ferrari owners who put many miles on their cars without any issues. i've seen ridiculous numbers thrown around here and other sites like $10k major service and $25k engine rebuild for a 355 :rolleyes:
people rely too heavily on what they heard and read.

by the way... i'm nsxnick on ferrarichat and i always defend the nsx.

I don't know about the street, but I do know that every track event I have ever been to that had a Ferrari ended with every Ferrari broken. Maybe this is just by chance?

My favorite was at Willow Springs. The first Ferrari blew a motor (360 challenge) and spewed oil all over the track, which took an hour to clean up and took out of everyones track time. The next Ferrari was in my HPDE group. I was behind it for awhile and it spewed fuel all over my NSX before pulling off track (348, or 355 can't remember which). The last one was in the race group. It had a mechanical problen and pulled off while in 2nd in the race group (360 challenge). A supercharged NSX then went on to win the race.

I was a much bigger Ferrari fan until I started tracking my car and watched how often they break :(

|Adeel said:
Am I the only one who thinks the replies on this site, no matter which car comparo, is far more mature than Ferrarichat? :)
ya think?? :wink:

|various said:
Umm.. idiot.
I just wanna bitch slap some of those arrogant, naive pricks!!
for the other idiots...
If I buy a Ferrari does that mean my brain disappears???
1 or 2 dummys
308/328/348/355 are "wannabe" Ferrari owners.
Ferrari profits from wealthy, loyal snobs
Anyone who buys a 348 over an NSX deserves to wait on the side of the road for a tow truck.
Used Ferrari's, IMO, are for suckers.

NsXMas said:
I feel sorry for people who judge others and themselves based upon the brand or label of the object they own.

Sadly, the vast majority of people fall into that category.

That said, I still freakin' want an Enzo.

Nicholas we appreciate guys like you on here. Thank you for sharing your beautiful car with us. Both forums are going to have some knuckleheads. I can personally attest that the guys here are nicer than the guys on F-chat. I am on F-Chat as well my sn is futureowner310.

Even my buddy with the F40 does not like the "kids" on F-chat. It's funny when I use to meet up with him at Crystal Cove I would ask him why does he always park away from the 360's, 430's. He would tell me that he did not want to be associated with the snobby kids.....lol. It is funny that the nice guys on F-chat would pm me telling me how they dislike some of the guys on there. Given the fact some of the snobs are non-owners or trustfund babies.

That is one reason why I don't post too much on there. They don't seem to take to kind to non-owners over there from what I gather. Or everything revolves around Ferrari only and if you don't own one you are not welcome there.....:rolleyes:

As I have stated there are so many NSX/Ferrari owners out there (closet owners). And eventually I will be one of them and I will love both cars equally. Except for the Ferrari of higher cost of maintenance and worrying about it breaking down on me. :biggrin:

|Adeel said:

Uh...no! We can be pretty bad. Most times arguing amongst ourselves and forget we have company. Kinda like going to family reunion where you don't know anyone and it turns into a big fistfight...LoL

Looks like I need to scrounge up a picture of me sitting on Alicia's hood, with a skibanker sign around my neck eating a huge bowl of rice. :biggrin:

The 348 is just the one F car that irritates me, precisely for the pretentious reasons elaborated on that thread. 355 and newer look great and perform. 328 and older are cool in a retro way, like any classic car. But the 348 is too "new" to be a classic and sucks as a sportscar. It's only purpose sits faded on the hood.

Back