ZO6...In disbelief

Only 4 car lengths? A "friend" also had a run in with an NA1 6psi CTSC/DC headers/Tubi/standard gearing against what I assume was a stock C6-Z06 from about 110km/h to about 220km/h. Both cars were in the same lane, with the Z06 in front, and by the end the Z06 was a lot further ahead than 6 car lengths...

It's a very humbling experience, even when you know you're going to get crushed!

I'd bet anything that the next "NSX" will run circles around the C6 Z06... Once again, C6 and NSX = apples and oranges.

There is a video of a CTSC NSX smoking that new Caddilac with a Vette motor in it (Forgot the name) on YouTube... Yay!

I have to wonder how many Vette owners can safely drive a 505hp beast never mind a 541 hp monster safely whether or not it has an all leather interior or not?

On one of my first HPDE schools my instructor told me to floor my NSX as I rounded a turn. The back came around nicely but didn't slide too much. How many 500 hp Vipers have I seen try that and hit the wall? Four.

(I wrote this the whole time thinking - man 541 hp would be awesome.)

Yes, HP is out of control. The latest issue of Motor Trend just arrived - for 2008 the Mustang GT500 gets a bump to 540 HP with the GT500KR edition and the 2009 Z07 will have 700 HP (so says the article). The 2008 CTS-V will have 505 HP - borrowing the Z06 engine.

Some companies such as Ferrari, Porsche and GM (with the Vette, at least) have pretty sophisticated stability control systems that help make super-high HP safer and more accessible. I'm not up on the latest Viper but I don't believe it has traction or stability control, or even anti-lock brakes. Same with the Mustang.

I'd bet anything that the next "NSX" will run circles around the C6 Z06... Once again, C6 and NSX = apples and oranges.

There is a video of a CTSC NSX smoking that new Caddilac with a Vette motor in it (Forgot the name) on YouTube... Yay!

No offense myguitar, but this is another ongoing peccadillo of some NSX owners... all day long people are more than happy to compare the NSX to anything as long as the NSX is superior. Yet if there is a car that has superior engineering to the NSX the standard reply is "Well the NSX is 15 years old, so you can't compare". This is the same type of logic that pisses a lot of people off when F-car guys use it.

You can certainly and DIRECTLY compare a $70k NSX against a $70k Z06. You can also compare whether you'd prefer a $30k NSX and $40k in your bank account against a $70k Z06.

Let's be honest about what the NSX is and isn't as well as what the Z06 is and isn't (or other cars) and appreciate the merits of each. Based upon the strengths and costs of each platform, people can then debate and decide which they prefer, rather than a straight "NSX #1!!!!" mentality.

Again, sorry I'm singling you out on this myguitar. It is something that has been nagging at me for a while.

Yes, HP is out of control. The latest issue of Motor Trend just arrived - for 2008 the Mustang GT500 gets a bump to 540 HP with the GT500KR edition and the 2009 Z07 will have 700 HP (so says the article). The 2008 CTS-V will have 505 HP - borrowing the Z06 engine.

Some companies such as Ferrari, Porsche and GM (with the Vette, at least) have pretty sophisticated stability control systems that help make super-high HP safer and more accessible. I'm not up on the latest Viper but I don't believe it has traction or stability control, or even anti-lock brakes. Same with the Mustang.

But aren't these High Horsepower cars just that....Muscle Cars?:confused: The people who highly desire these cars IMHO just want a car that can go like a bat outta hell from point A to point B in a straight line as fast as they can. Handling, quality, refinement, etc. takes a short back seat to these things. The ZO6 handles itself fairly well paired with it's powerful engine.

my (educated) guess is that the new nsx wasn't benchmarked against the vette..... but rather against some more (but not the most) exotic vehicles.....

either way, be reminded the z06 effectively outdoes the F430....

and the z06 might just be your "next nsx" (ie, ahead of its time, embarasses cars twice the price, etc. etc.)

we'll see how it holds up to the "new one", but i can almost guarantee you it will at least give it a run for it's money cause....
skidpad on the z06 is almost identical to the F50 (and pretty close to the enzo)
and the highest number mentioned thusfar for the next gen nsx was 500..... z06 already got that beat - and the torque.... oh the torque :cool:

yeah, it's just numbers, but numbers can quantify what is already known..... like how much more it whoops the (current) nsx's ass :rolleyes:

But aren't these High Horsepower cars just that....Muscle Cars?:confused: The people who highly desire these cars IMHO just want a car that can go like a bat outta hell from point A to point B in a straight line as fast as they can. Handling, quality, refinement, etc. takes a short back seat to these things. The ZO6 handles itself fairly well paired with it's powerful engine.

That is true. Mustangs handle like crap no matter how much HP they have. And all the SRT lines are fat pigs. A-B is about all they are good for.

I think Car and Driver just ranked the Z06 poorly in handling, yet it was nearly as fast as a 911 GT3 on a track ( and the 911 tires have a treadware rating of 80!!)

Having driven 2 NSXs on a track and the Vette, I can honestly say the vettte was just as much fun if not more. The NSX turns in better, but the vette rocks out of corners! Plus the HUD with G-meter is really fun!

You won't be running circles around a C6 Z06 unless it's parked, especially in a clay car with a big long nose.:rolleyes:
asc-fside.jpg

You won't be running circles around a C6 Z06 unless it's parked, especially in a clay car with a big long nose.:rolleyes:
asc-fside.jpg

No kidding, that car doesn't stand a chance in hell of running circles around a Z06. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the next NSX - if it ever comes - will have that kind of performance. But I hope it does!

But aren't these High Horsepower cars just that....Muscle Cars?:confused: .

I'd say 1/2 and 1/2. The Mustang and perhaps the Viper are straight-line cars, especially the Mustang. The Vette aspires to provide excellet handling characteristics and computerized car control systems, as well as everyday liveability. The CTS is well respected for its driving dynamics - though the styling may not be your cup of tea.

I think Car and Driver just ranked the Z06 poorly in handling, yet it was nearly as fast as a 911 GT3 on a track ( and the 911 tires have a treadware rating of 80!!

Motor Trend - and you have to read the whole article - 35 pages! - to see how the rankings were computed. The S2000 also was ranked poorly in the same test, and the Civic SI was dead-last. But as you point you, the Z06 lap times very close to the GT3, which was named the best handling car of the group (GT3, Z06, S2000, Evo, Mazdaspeed3, Cayman S, Exige S, Civic SI, Cooper and 335i). I found it interesting that the GT3 scored 1st or 2nd on all of the tests - very impressive.

Motor Trend - and you have to read the whole article - 35 pages! - to see how the rankings were computed. The S2000 also was ranked poorly in the same test, and the Civic SI was dead-last. But as you point you, the Z06 lap times very close to the GT3, which was named the best handling car of the group (GT3, Z06, S2000, Evo, Mazdaspeed3, Cayman S, Exige S, Civic SI, Cooper and 335i). I found it interesting that the GT3 scored 1st or 2nd on all of the tests - very impressive.

haha, i'm not... the only other car in there that stood a chance was the Z06.... all the other ones aren't quite in the same league.

who the hell made that line up anyway? a gt3 vs a civic si???? and vs a 335i? why not the M3? looks like they took whatever cars they had lyin around and compared them. dumb. (and by "dumb" i mean the way that guy says it on the old spice commercial.)

haha, i'm not... the only other car in there that stood a chance was the Z06.... all the other ones aren't quite in the same league.

who the hell made that line up anyway? a gt3 vs a civic si???? and vs a 335i? why not the M3? looks like they took whatever cars they had lyin around and compared them. dumb. (and by "dumb" i mean the way that guy says it on the old spice commercial.)

Well... it is Motor Trend!

Haven't seen anything that stupid in my R&T! Haha... shameless plug!

asc-fside.jpg

hehe... I wasn't really thinking of this thing when I said "the next NSX". I sure hope Honda has something else under their sleeve.

As far as numbers, the old NSX did a lot more than what it's numbers said. I hope this next car does the same with it's claimed 500 ponies. And with a V10... Torque shouldn't be an issue!

Anyone dare to compare the 1991 NSX to a 1991 Vette??? Of course not, a 91 Vette can be bought for less than 10K these days and you better have your 2nd mortgage ready to cover the repair bills.

Yeah, because I'm sure changing the clutch or timing chain is much harder on the Corvette, and finding an LT1 engine in a junkyard must be impossible :rolleyes:

here's a cool article on the corvette leaf springs on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs

an excerpt:
Because both coils and leafs in these configurations act only as simple springs and are not required to stabilize the wheels, their function is almost identical.

it talks about their composite construction, their use as a anti-roll bars, and general advantages/disadvantages (it looks like its advantages outweigh its disadvantages by far, esp for the consumer/driver.... most of the disadvantages are design consideration-related.. reliability isn't one of them, but perception is, heh).

good read.

here's a cool article on the corvette leaf springs on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs

an excerpt:
Because both coils and leafs in these configurations act only as simple springs and are not required to stabilize the wheels, their function is almost identical.

it talks about their composite construction, their use as a anti-roll bars, and general advantages/disadvantages (it looks like its advantages outweigh its disadvantages by far, esp for the consumer/driver.... most of the disadvantages are design consideration-related.. reliability isn't one of them, but perception is, heh).

good read.

I'm curious, the Vettes used in Le Mans Racing. They too have the leafsprings??:confused:

Yeah, because I'm sure changing the clutch or timing chain is much harder on the Corvette, and finding an LT1 engine in a junkyard must be impossible :rolleyes:

There's alot of arrogant folks on this board.

Just look at the other threads when the NSX is compared to other cars *cough* RX7.....

Just look at the other threads when the NSX is compared to other cars *cough* RX7.....

You come on a NSX site posting a avatar of a RX7, banging the drum whenever you can about the qualities of the RX7 and calling anyone who does not share your passion and appreciation for the RX7 arrogant?

So glad you're here to open our eyes.:biggrin:

Yes, there is a degree of condescension and arrogance with some members. I've have certainly fallen victim to such behavior; however, you have to understand, some of these comments are all in good fun:wink:

I'm sure if we go to a Vette forum, they will bash the NSX all over the place. Same goes with an RX7 site, a Supra Site, etc. You own both the NSX and the RX7 according to your sig. I guess you are more proud of the RX7 since it is your avatar for an NSX forum. So be it.

You can't let some of these comments get to you. We all enjoy our cars and think it better or superior in some ways to other cars. If we didn't feel that way, well...we probably would have a for sale sign on or traded it in for another car by now:biggrin:.

It will be sold in a few months and the NSX may be replaced..........

So whats the next Bat car going to be?

Something with a mid engine I hope :cool:

I have the RX7 in the avatar since it's my best pic of any of my car.
It will be sold in a few months ...

BTW Vortec is no way related to V-Tec except that they do both start with "V" and end in tec. I guess the words sound similar but...

Back