ZO6...In disbelief

from owning a new Z06 to wanting a 02+ NSX and driving many of them at my dealership

I have some input, I think the z06 beats the NSX in terms of numbers. faster in EVERYWAY. as well it should be. The NSX was the pinnicale of japanesse engineering for the 80's remember the NSX was designed in the mid 80's for the most part.

the z06 the pinnicale of american engineering for the new millinium(so far)

the z06 crushes the NSX numericaly, and if you do the same kind of mods to the Z06 as you would the NSX the z06 will always be faster.

BUT the feel of the drive, the only thing to cant express in numbers or magazine stats is what the NSX wins in HANDS DOWN

god i want one

Huh they claim 7,43 on Nordschleife while Mc F1 did 7,45 with 120 hp more and 300 kg less...but probably with much worse driver :)

Japanese engine designers, however, will readily concede that the country's manufacturers have been building cars with more than 276 horsepower. It's just that none of the automakers wanted to officially break the agreement. It's no secret that Mitsubishi Lancer Evos, Subaru Impreza WRXs, and Nissan 300ZX twin-turbos have been in violation of the agreement for years, but at least in Japan, they all claimed to have 276 horsepower. The false advertising was ignored for the sake of harmony. Not anymore.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/8948/japan-dumps-276-hp-pact.html

FYI : 90+ 300ZX TT have 300HP

My buddy recently bought a brand new Corvette - but he did not purchase the ZO6 model...so I went to the dealership to see what all the fuss was about the ZO6 - I was absolutley floored when I saw this car...the salesman came up to me immediately (having seen my 91 NSX parked outside his show room) and I said to him, "this car must run about $65,000.00 Canadian"...he responded in a rude way that this car was a steal at $95,000.00 Canadian! I looked at the guy and said, "but the interior looks like a piece of shit!"...and it did people! My God, I have never seen a more plastic looking interior in my life...I would have been worried if I was paying $60,000.00...but this thing was basically a cool $100,000.00! I may be wrong...but Chevy really missed the boat of this interior - or do they know something that I don't! I am sure the car goes like Jack the Bear, but you do live in the interior of the car...lol...seeing that mess reminds me of how fortunate I am to own an NSX!

Dam:cool:
Hey!!

A NSX is great (It's a Honda duh!) But a Corvette Z06 is as cool and looks good (Oh that V8!!505HP!) I have seen the new one a few times in and out the interior looks way better than in the C5 but still the NSX is a bit better.

Note: I am a Big Corvette van and a bigger Honda fan!

Japan 276 top speed governed 130mph all cars.
Auto us TT 280

Yep. But even the 280hp is a myth. I'm well educated on the z32 and all JDM and USDM autos and manuals all dyno almost exactly the same, except for the 96 year model due to obII restrictions. The autos do have smaller turbos [slightly] but also have difference cam shafts [slightly] It's pointless to argue what papers say when the dyno reads very close to the same #'s regardless of what car you put on there.

Like some people have already stated, the Z06 and the NSX cannot be directly compared. The only thing they have in common is that they are/were world beaters at the time of their debut. I've never driven an NSX, so I cannot say how well they drive, but there is nothing in the Z06's price range that can touch it for value. Sure, you might get a relatively cheap and/or cheesy interior, but you get low 11-second quartermiles, (close to) 1g on the skidpad, a 198mph top speed, a livable daily driver that gets damn near 30mpg on the freeway and a car that can outhandle pretty much everything else on the road. I'm sorry, but there is really no downside to the car. Keep in mind that you're getting carbon fiber and magnesium body and chassis bits for that $70k as well. So complaining about an interior is a bit petty. If you don't like it, you can go spend $100k on something more luxurious (slower and less exciting).

Also, I feel the need to say that I am a car enthusiast. When visiting forums such as this, you have to keep in mind that not everyone on here is a car enthusiast...they are NSX enthusiasts. As a result, you will have people who are only willing to acknowledge the positives of the car that they choose to own and play up the shortcomings of other cars. Needless to say, I enjoy having conversations with other car enthusiasts and fans much more than I enjoy talking to someone who is a fanboy. I guess they all have their place though.

I look forward to having a lot of cars in my garage, including an NSX, Z06 and a Supra. Debate it how often or for how long as you'd like, but there are upsides and downsides to every car. That's why I've got to have as many as I can!

Mainsource...some of what you say is valid but there are no new $70k Z06's to be had, that is for certain. I agree there are no parallels between the cars other than the fact they are cars.....as far as magnesium on the vette, it is in the engine cradle and the roof framing not the body. There is some CF as well in the body but it is confined to the front fenders. I've never heard of the Z06 reffered to as a great daily driver actually much the contrary. It has a track tuned suspension and is very unforgiving on anything but smooth road conditions. Yes, it is fast as all get out and I guess if price vs HP is the measure then it can be called a value, but I can think of a ton of ways I would rather spend $95k towards some used vehicles than a new Z06 any day. I have had a few nice cars over the years including Ferrari, 2 different Porsche's, BMW, Audi and the 02' vette I recently sold and I can say that (IMO) the HP treat you get with the vette makes it faster for sure but does not make up for the fit, finish, feel etc.... that are missing from it to make it a world class supercar. (disclaimer: I have driven all of the cars mentioned in the above posting).

Scott

Downside is..

I'm sorry, but there is really no downside to the car. Keep in mind that you're getting carbon fiber and magnesium body and chassis bits for that $70k as well. So complaining about an interior is a bit petty. If you don't like it, you can go spend $100k on something more luxurious (slower and less exciting).!

The downside is the front engine layout. Regardless of how far back the engine sits, polar inertia will dictate maneuvers at high speeds and on the track, where a mid engine car will dare you. For 70K a used Ferrari F355 or 26-70k an NSX you get a car that’s hand built, Nappa leather, interior/exterior never to be outdated that was derived from formula one not Oldsmobile racing pushrod technology. The NSX will probably require the least maintenance and the Ferrari the most. I am sure the next Z06/7 will be compared to 10-15 year older Supercars and we will continue to hear how fast it is . The Corvette is not a super car the original German designed Corvette made sense it was light and not obese. IMHO comparing a fast street car to a "supercar" even outdated ones is silly comparision as each was designed for its intended purpose.

Rumor has it..

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/111...ed-corvette-for-next-generation-c7/index.html

Corvette might be going mid engine for the new C7 so there is hope after all.

Last edited:
Re: Downside is..

For me, what the end result is matters more than how it was accomplished. Comment on leaf springs and a push rod engine, fine, these are the reasons this car is priced where it is. Funny that the engine and the suspension are also the things that make the car so awesome.

The Z06 is not for me, and everyday I get in my NSX is another day I choose my NSX over it, but that Z06 is an awesome awesome car that presents extremely well to its market, which is not really an NSX buyer IMO.

TO: Dave / Turbo2Go

Did you purchase your 2005 silverstone NSX from ECarLink.com in Texas?
Were you satisfied with the experience?

[email protected]

I was bored yesterday, so I decided to pull into a Chevy dealership to test drive a Z06. I was in my 05 NSX. Within 12 seconds, a hoard of salespeople bum rush me as I'm getting out of my car. I say "I've heard a lot of great things about the Z06, lets take a look."

Long story short, they WOULDN'T let me test drive a used one and, for all its amazing performance, it still looked el-cheapo inside and the driving position/view was awful. The view over the gang plank hood is terrible and the sharp fender bulges (rounded in NSX) look stupid from the driver's seat. Also, don't get into a head on collision with anything in the trunk, because your head will get taken off -- there's nothing to separate the trunk from the passenger area :eek:.

The salesperson kept asking me if and when I'd trade in the NSX - he was ready to "give me a value." Haha. No chance. I would've left more quickly, but got tied up in the parking lot answering NSX questions from prospective chevy customers.

the z06 crushes the NSX numericaly, and if you do the same kind of mods to the Z06 as you would the NSX the z06 will always be faster.

Btw I dont think so as NSX will handle almost the same power as Vette and if you buy used 6speed NSX (say from 1998) you are left $40K to upgrade it to be noticeably faster than Vette and still be more reliable and last much more (remember Gerard von Santen who is winning races with 350.000 km NSX and that supercharged).

You can easily add power, but you cant add quality :)

And it will retain better resale value, at least I think so :)

"BUT the feel of the drive, the only thing to cant express in numbers or magazine stats is what the NSX wins in HANDS DOWN"

"For me, what the end result is matters more than how it was accomplished"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point you realize what matters most to you in a sports car.
Its a long road for some, shorter for others. It took me quite a while to figure it out.

I picked up a 1990 E30 M3 a couple month ago and am having the time of my life!
Its all about the experience, numbers mean nothing.:wink:
And yes, its putting out about 195 mighty :tongue: hp at the crank.
Do I want / need more power?
No, I want to become a better driver....... Have been improving for 30 years and this car is the next step.
Why it took me so long to figure it out is anyone's guess.:biggrin:

My NSX is amazing! But its seen 100 miles in the past 3 months, where the baby M3 has seen over 1500.............

Food for thought.....

"BUT the feel of the drive, the only thing to cant express in numbers or magazine stats is what the NSX wins in HANDS DOWN"

"For me, what the end result is matters more than how it was accomplished"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point you realize what matters most to you in a sports car.
Its a long road for some, shorter for others. It took me quite a while to figure it out.

I picked up a 1990 E30 M3 a couple month ago and am having the time of my life!
Its all about the experience, numbers mean nothing.:wink:
And yes, its putting out about 195 mighty :tongue: hp at the crank.
Do I want / need more power?
No, I want to become a better driver....... Have been improving for 30 years and this car is the next step.
Why it took me so long to figure it out is anyone's guess.:biggrin:

My NSX is amazing! But its seen 100 miles in the past 3 months, where the baby M3 has seen over 1500.............

Food for thought.....

So you're saying that you enjoy the M3 far more than the NSX?

"So you're saying that you enjoy the M3 far more than the NSX?"

No, I am saying driving has little to do with "magazine" numbers..........
The M is just new to me & its been a while since I have had anything similar.
Like the NSX, its an easy car to drive fast, rather than a super fast car.
Might sound stupid, but there is a difference.

Who wants to feel like a passenger while driving a car that's numb?
Numbers sell cars IMO and have little to do with driving.
But its all in what you want. Thing is, many do not know the difference or what I am even talking about.
Everyone here knows, otherwise they would be posting that NSX's are under powered.:biggrin:
If I could really drive my NSX at its full potential I would be one of the few in a very small elite group.

I have come full circle (2x) 1st car = Muscle car (back when they were just used cars). Then 4-6 cyl sports cars.
(240z's, 2002's, etc) Then 300-400-500hp solid lifter Muscle cars that I did what I could to make them go around corner's. Now I am back to 4-6 cyl light cars that are connected to the road. The way I am going, a Lotus se7en kit car has a better chance of ending up in my garage over a new Vette.:biggrin:

"So you're saying that you enjoy the M3 far more than the NSX?"

No, I am saying driving has little to do with "magazine" numbers..........
The M is just new to me & its been a while since I have had anything similar.
Like the NSX, its an easy car to drive fast, rather than a super fast car.
Might sound stupid, but there is a difference.

Who wants to feel like a passenger while driving a car that's numb?
Numbers sell cars IMO and have little to do with driving.
But its all in what you want. Thing is, many do not know the difference or what I am even talking about.
Everyone here knows, otherwise they would be posting that NSX's are under powered.:biggrin:
If I could really drive my NSX at its full potential I would be one of the few in a very small elite group.

I have come full circle (2x) 1st car = Muscle car (back when they were just used cars). Then 4-6 cyl sports cars.
(240z's, 2002's, etc) Then 300-400-500hp solid lifter Muscle cars that I did what I could to make them go around corner's. Now I am back to 4-6 cyl light cars that are connected to the road. The way I am going, a Lotus se7en kit car has a better chance of ending up in my garage over a new Vette.:biggrin:

Hmm, I've heard many people speak about the "feel" of the BMW M3. It makes me very curious to drive one; however, I'm not impressed with BMW reliability. I know what you mean about the "feel" of a car not being expressed through numbers. No doubt many of us NSX owners have had to try to put into words the feeling of driving the NSX to guys that simply don't understand..............That is, until they actually drive her.

Back