Would ya trade your NSX for a 348 TB ?

A friend of mine is a Ferrari mechanic at Los Gatos Ferrari for 20 years. The horror stories about reliability and the costs associated are not a figment of someone's imagination. Yes, Ferrari has improved upon their reliability, but it is not in the same league as an NSX - PERIOD. Yes, there is some prestige issues with saying I own a Ferrari. However, for me I will pass on the prestige for the peace of mind. This is from a guy who lives in prestigious Pebble Beach off 17 mile drive.

Frankly, the NSX is prestigious enough for me and 99.9999999% of the rest of the world.

A friend of mine is a Ferrari mechanic at Los Gatos Ferrari for 20 years. The horror stories about reliability and the costs associated are not a figment of someone's imagination. Yes, Ferrari has improved upon their reliability, but it is not in the same league as an NSX - PERIOD. Yes, there is some prestige issues with saying I own a Ferrari. However, for me I will pass on the prestige for the peace of mind. This is from a guy who lives in prestigious Pebble Beach off 17 mile drive.

Frankly, the NSX is prestigious enough for me and 99.9999999% of the rest of the world.
I am a huge F-Car nerd but my dream car is still the NSX. Coincidentally, I want one that looks like yours Steven Allen. I want to go with the R look.

So, even if I start making some serious bucks someday to get... say an F430, I don't think I'll ever justify all the money that goes into keeping an F-Car on the road. $10K for a tune up, God knows how much for regular oil changes, imagine how much if something breaks. Sorry, but there are unfortunate and hungry people in the world.

And besides, if I can't work on my own car, then might as well just get a 7-Series and hire a personal driver.

"My Honda push mower finally gave up the ghost this spring. It just would not start"

In my best Carl from Sling Blade voice "Recon its outa gas" Mhh Hmmh.

Did anyone catch Dr.T348's comments on page 4? I found it rather humorous.

"I'm a big Acura fan. Own 2 of them. In the '80's was a big NSX fan.

Saw one this morning on the street and would NEVER trade my 348 for one. IMO the NSX is looking very dated. Not to knock reliability or drivability as I'm sure the NSX would be superior to the Ferrari. But that's why I have an Acura as my daily driver and a spot in the garage for my Ferrari."

Anyone see the discrepancy here?:biggrin:

Here is how this all breaks down to me:

* People on NSX Prime firing off shots at the Ferrari owners about how unreliable their cars are and saying that we NSX owners would never buy one anyone even if we could afford the repairs. Most talking out the backside and having no personal experience of Ferrari ownership / maintenance costs.

* People on Ferrari Chat taking shots at NSX owners saying 'it is only a Honda anyway' and 'if you have to explain why a Ferrari costs more to run, you will never understand'. Essentially justifying the cost, and ripping on the NSX as 'not a real exotic'...most of whom have never owned or driven an NSX.

So far, the only parallels I can see are that both groups are talking out their collective a$$es about each others cars, most of the posters having no real experience with the other!! The point is, they are both great cars in their own right, and any REAL car guy will understand that. Badges do not mean squat to a REAL car guy....the car itself, the experience in driving it, and the feel it gives you is what really matters. That is why I love the sound, comfort, and looks of the NSX. That is also why I am thrilled by the passion of design, engine scream, and outright thrill of a Ferrari. They both serve their own purposes, and are each great. I wish most of the people on both this forum and their forum would set their fragile egos aside and just appreciate the cars for what they are!! Great machines, and performance icons!!

If you are a automotive tinker like me than do it. I also would like to have one, in addition to the X. I make a lot of my own special tools myself...have fun with it.

I saw the following two "arguments" (I hesitate to call them arguments, because that somehow implies that they are rational) advanced in favor of Ferraris on a Ferrari board. Anytime you hear either of these, you should sit bolt upright and pay attention, because someone is trying to sell you a bill of goods. First...

"If you have never driven a Ferrari, you just wouldn't understand"

You could apply this statement to anything. "If you have never driven a Vega, you just wouldn't understand." Well, I guess that settles it then, because I haven't. This is the equivalent of a magician's misdirect - it is a worthless point without merit or meaning, and it shifts the subject from the object in question to an implied criticism of the person who is reacting unfavorably to the object in question. They whip this out when you point out all the deficiencies the car has, whether it be performance, handling, comfort, or any objective criterion, because it is all they have left.

And, second...

"You don't buy it with your head, you buy it with your heart!"

I saw a Lamborghini corporate type shilling this on television the other night, which is what made me analyze this argument in the first place. It is simply a worthless emotional statement designed to sell overpriced underengineered cars - just something useless they tell you to play on your emotions and sell you the d#$m thing!

Both of these statements are meaningless emotional arguments and designed to deflect a direct comparison. Times change, cars change, but human nature never changes. We as a species are overly emotionally driven. The key is to analyze statements and facts and reach a logical conclusion. We absolutely should think with our heads (logically) and not our hearts (emotionally).

Don't do it, if you do you will regret it. If you look at it rationally and not emotionally you will come to the same conclusion. Common sense will prevail and the desire to buy one will pass. You will look back and be so glad that you didn't do it. You have the right car, don't trade just because you are bored.

Last edited:
Finally, the "prestige" issue. I just don't see a 348 as being "prestigious" - maybe it is just me. I don't really see any substantial "prestige" in the NSX either.

Perhaps to you, but not to the 99.9999% of the world.

"My Honda push mower finally gave up the ghost this spring. It just would not start"

In my best Carl from Sling Blade voice "Recon its outa gas" Mhh Hmmh.

Just curious, I have the same mower and just did an oil change. Ive had mine since 2000. What went out on your mower so that I can keep my eyes open?

Just curious, I have the same mower and just did an oil change. Ive had mine since 2000. What went out on your mower so that I can keep my eyes open?

I really don't know what went wrong with it. I can tell you this... it mowed a million acres of grass before it died. :smile:

If it was a mower made by ferrai it would cost 5 times the price of a new mower just to fix it. And it could only be worked on by a certified ferrari lawn mower mechanic. :tongue: Not to mention after every 50 hours of use the motor would have to be broken down and rebuilt.

You know its funny, I have a honda mower and also a honda pressure washer both purchased the same time. The mower still starts up with one pull and I changed the oil once on it. The pressure washer on the other hand has many problems. First the gears broke internally, then replaced the gears, now it over heats and shuts off. I let it cool then start it back up. I guess with the honda pressure washer it used the water flowing through the system to cool the motor. But it kind of doesn't make sense because the mower has no cooling system. I need to have the washer looked at. This is the only bad experience I had with any honda or acura product.

Back