Would ya trade your NSX for a 348 TB ?

CHANGED THREAD TITLE:.........Should "I" trade my NSX for this 348?

I have been presented with this proposition.

First off, No Flamers and this thread is not to be turned into ANOTHER F-car vs. NSX discussion.

I have a very nice 91 w/51K Black/Ivory. Mods are in my Sig.
Car is actually in the shop getting the GT-ONE stuff put on this week.

Guy has a 90 Ferrari 348 GTB w/43K Black/Tan w/these mods:
19in 2 pc Rims, Hyper Flow Cats, Borla XR1 muffler(really loud, SCORE!)

Wants my car and 5K

I know all the pros and cons, after all thats why I bought my NSX, BUT I have
always wanted an F-Car and it takes about 45K to buy a comparable 348.
I only paid low 30's for mine and figure thats all it is worth even tho I am in it NOW thnx to MODS @ 43K!!!!!!!

So I'm thinking I will be in the F-car 48K to 50K and if I sell one day I will be closer to getting all my money back over keeping the NSX and selling one day. Now keep in mind this trade really has nothing to do with weather I get my money back one day but it may be a nice by-product!
will post pics in a few minutes.

gregz5.jpg

gregz8.jpg

gregz4.jpg

gregz3.jpg

GREGZ14.jpg

Sorry, just realized I don't have crap for pictures on my home computer, but heres what I found.
8168_.jpg

4483_.jpg

4399_.jpg

Nope. Maybe if it was a 355....maybe :smile:
Well that wouldn't be a fair trade $$$$ wise. Cheapest 355 are 60 to 70K and up. Plus even tho the 355 is IMO the most beautiful car ever, it has alot of potential and expensive problems. More so than the 348.

Well that wouldn't be a fair trade $$$$ wise. Cheapest 355 are 60 to 70K and up. Plus even tho the 355 is IMO the most beautiful car ever, it has alot of potential and expensive problems. More so than the 348.

I agree. I was entertaining the idea of selling my NSX and picking up an F355 but the maintenance and potential big $$ repairs kept me from doing so.

how are maintanence on these?
would you be able to do your own oil changes/fluids/wear and tear maintanence

or do these require special ferrari tools?

how expensive is maintanence?
for our cars every 15,000 miles we should get a valve job done, or just regular 60k, 100k service maintanence.

i think it all comes down to preference...

Looks nice and if thats a car you wanted for a while then go for it.....I am sure you can always come back to getting an NSX if you wanted one.

I think its looks clean but you better do your homework on parts, maintenance and support in your area.

for our cars every 15,000 miles we should get a valve job done, or just regular 60k, 100k service maintanence.

Oil changes are much more complicated in the F-car so , no, I would not be able to do that. But I don't do it on the X either myself.
Yes, during "Majors" there are certain Ferrari tools that must be used.

Yes maintenence is much more than the NSX but I think if I get rid of a couple of money pits I can keep the F-car running!!!

Looks nice and if thats a car you wanted for a while then go for it.....I am sure you can always come back to getting an NSX if you wanted one.

I think its looks clean but you better do your homework on parts, maintenance and support in your area.

No support at all locally, but then again there is no support for the NSX either as there is not even an Acura dealer for 2 hours away. Thats why right now my car is in Houston getting serviced which is 5 hrs away.

Tough call Greg only you can make....
If you've grown tired of your NSX and want something different, then why not. Been there and done that several times in my life.
Having owned 3 Ferrari's over the years, they are wonderful cars, but they can be finicky and very costly for maintenance, never mind is something major breaks.
I owned a 246 Dino, a 308 GTB and then finally a 512TR. No doubt after owning the 512 if I ever got another Ferrari, it would have to be a 12. The 8's are rather slow all things considerd.
Supercharge or Turbo your NSX and the only 348's you'll see is in your rear view mirror.
Would I give up my NSX for a 348, not a chance.
Best of luck in whatever you decide.

I would probably sell the car and buy a 355, with no trades involved; you need to make this decision for yourself, there is no way I would trade my nsx for a 348, I probably wouldn't trade it for a 355 either, unless it was in very good condition, but you may feel more inclined to do so, as you have less time/effort invested in your car, and you have several vehicles, so it would serve a limited purpose, and reliability concerns would be less of an issue.

The mileage seems a bit scary for an 80's Ferrari, but if you're interested in the swap + $5k the conditions seem fair. I would value the 348 at between $35-38k, and the nsx at around $28-30k, so the numbers certainly work, and, depending on your state, it may be a tax advantage to make an exchange, rather than a sale.
dunno.gif

Whatever you do arrange for an inspection before any documents are signed.

Both cars looks very nice! What works for me in this type of situation is actually listing(writing down) all your pros and cons including the smallest details. And just go over it subjectively.
Our opinion might help but its you that have to endure the decision in a longer run

An oil change for a Ferrari here in New York runs about $1,200 at the dealership.

The major problem with 355 is valve shimming, the 348 is transmission failure which is double the cost of 355. I was going to purchase 348 but bought a 91 clean NSX. I think the miles is to much at 45k I have seen 348's with 25-35k miles going for 40-45k. I have even seen a few 355's going in low 50's one has mileage unknown, the other Calipso red with 55k miles.

Good luck in your decision buy the car you want.

The Ferrari is beautiful...no doubt about it. But did you ask yourself why the owner of a Ferrari wants your NSX?

I can't imagine giving up something so pretty (the 348)...unless it was for another Ferrari....or unless I was really really tired of dealing with it. (the interior is not pretty, maybe it's not that much fun to drive?)

But I'm not at a Ferrari state in my life yet...I want a car that I can hop into and drive whenever I want to...not something that needs extra attention.

So personally, I'd take that $5k, keep the NSX and put it towards a comptech SC or something else fun like that.

An oil change for a Ferrari here in New York runs about $1,200 at the dealership.

That's ridiculous. From what I hear it doesn't even cost that much at Ron Tokin in Portland for an Enzo - so any good independent motor sports shop would probably be happy to step up to the plate on that one.

Oil changes are much more complicated in the F-car so , no, I would not be able to do that. But I don't do it on the X either myself.

There is nothing complicated about an oil change. They use Shell Helix at some ridiculous price per quart as per warranty terms, and an OE filter... but all told even for a 430 that's about $220 in parts at actual cost tops.

The only thing complicated about changing it- is most use a dry sump system, so you have to know to check them hot and few little model specific items but I've seen them done and it is hardly rocket science.

Ultimately, you'll find that exotic car service is expensive because the owners can afford it to be and tend to be mechanically unsavy, not because it necessarily has to be more-so than anything else. Sure, the parts are going to be stupidly expensive but there is no reason to compound that by getting reamed by an opportunistic dealer that's going to tell you whatever you need to hear about oil changes and brakes pad jobs to get your visa platnium number on quick file.

The Ferrari is beautiful...no doubt about it. But did you ask yourself why the owner of a Ferrari wants your NSX?

True!

The 348 and 355 are both sweet cars with the 355 being the best car ever. If you can trade I'd do it just to try something different for a while. Just make sure it's not a lemon. Best choice, would be to find all the pennies in the coutch, try keep the nsx and grab the F'er! (Works best with large coutches)

prof. quack

Comparing if you can afford to maintain a Ferrari to an NSX is like comparing NSX maintenance to a Honda Civic. With that matter out of the argument I guess you should go for it. We only live once you know. :smile: Post some more pics when you get it. Btw the air filter box on that 348 not my taste. I believe there is a carbon fibre one from GruppeM which is better.

No. I would like to sit in a car and drive without thinking of it breaking down or miles hurting the resale value (after all, that's what Ferrari owners love, low mileage cars).

You REALLY should make sure it's in good condition because if it has some faults Ferrari parts aren't cheap and you're the one who's going to loose.

355 on the other hand is a step up quality wise... And it will always be a classic Ferrari. 348 is just another "meh..." in Ferrari history... Enzo hated this car!!

How often do you drive your NSX? If you drive it all the time you should keep it, if you drive it for weekends in summer you could consider the 348...

I don't think one should buy it because it's a Ferrari and you can't afford a better model. I think one should buy it if you really want one so that you can accept and live with the high maintenance.

There is nothing on that car that's better than the NSX, except for the V8-sound.

Just my thoughts...

Remember that there are two "happiest days" in a Ferrari owner's life. The second-happiest day is the day he buys the Ferrari, and the HAPPIEST day is the day he sells it!

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Steve
a/k/a
NSX@40

that's hard to believe

a ex-local NSXer had a 360 modena

ferrari tech's from DC drive 3.5 hours to go to his house and change his oil for around $400 I heard

there is nothing special about the 348. the nsx is better than it in every way (faster, handles better, etc.). such high miles on a ferrari.... no thanks. MAYBE if it were low miles, although the car is worth more than the nsx. hell, you could probably just put the ferrari on ebay as soon as you get it, and make some money off it.:wink: (but this guy might've tried that already... )

Back