Why in the world did I remove my spare!

In a frontal collision, that spare adds to the crush protection. Without it, there ain't alot up there between you and them :eek:! Safety first (I do take it out when at the track - but I also have on a helmet and we're all going the same direction - or atleast we should be :eek:). Sorry you had a bad day dude. Happy Motoring!

Good information TB... Small investment for a lot of peace of mind. A stitch in time saves nine!

Guys it's paid for itself about 3 times over. I've fixed about 4 or 5 flats in several of our cars. Just the convenience alone is worth it and you can pump you tires up at home - takes a little longer than the gas station but it's free once you pay for the pump - convenience is worth a heap to me and the safety factor is undeniable. Plugs work too - I won't go into this absurd argument about patching with a plug vs patch from inside but you KNOW i could. I have a story bout that, just in case anyone needs it.:wink:

My spare is in my NSX ,my tool kit is complete ,compressor works,also carry a tire plug kit, 3 of my 4 cars have plug kits in them(no kit in wifes cars ,she dont go that far ,have enough friends around that would help her if i not available) taught both my boys how to plug a tire ,oldest boy goes to college ,his friend gets a flat ,he plugs tire and uses his combo jump pack compressor to fix tire , his friend is amazed , tells him about his dads 7P's of life (proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance )

Sorry you had such a bad day, but that's why I have the Gold AAA coverage.

Ditto. AAA is cheap and worth it. Lots of little side benefits come in useful as well.

The other day I had a flat in another car, I got so dirty and sweaty from changing it I would have been better off calling AAA to tow it home and changing it at my leisure or just taking it off and having it replaced at the tire shop.

ok..i just want to be sure about this, so it doesn't matter what size rims you have, u can still use the stock spare?? is that correct? i know u can just throw your 17, 18, or 19 in the trunk but it's ok to drive with the smaller size of the spare..even for the rear right??

like most ppl, i have to admit, i fell into that "weight reduction" mentality..which come to think about it, it's really don't do all that much taking the spare out anyway..i'll go put it back in..:smile:

ok..i just want to be sure about this, so it doesn't matter what size rims you have, u can still use the stock spare?? is that correct? i know u can just throw your 17, 18, or 19 in the trunk but it's ok to drive with the smaller size of the spare..even for the rear right??

I have asked this same question and have been told it won't hurt a thing. I run 275/40/18 on the rear so I was concerned about size and width difference as well. Even though the wheel size is bigger, the diameter (not the width) remains the same so the axles would turn evenly. I hope I listened to the right people. Happy Motoring!

In a frontal collision, that spare adds to the crush protection. Without it, there ain't alot up there between you and them :eek:! Safety first (I do take it out when at the track - but I also have on a helmet and we're all going the same direction - or atleast we should be :eek:). Sorry you had a bad day dude. Happy Motoring!
You know, thats why they put the radiator up there too!

Adds a even a little more between you and them, which makes me feel much safer.:wink:Jack

not to invite disaster but if it was me, i'd have one in the trunk. the can-o-goo only works on small punctures as you know.

In my almost 20 years of driving I have only had one flat tire on any of my cars... and that was after I spun out into a ditch post deer contact.

Now that I've jinxed myself, I can say that I rarely travel far from home in the NSX, and never without my cell phone. My supercharger belt broke last summer and I had to call a flat bed... I imagine that would be exactly the process if I somehow got a flat tire.

I think if I ditch my Type R hood setup, I'd put the tire back in there, it probably helps to have a bit more weight over those front tires.

14" front rotors + R hood + weight savings = AAA card (Premier) with 250 mile free towing distance. Covers me from Las Vegas to Autowave:)

good call on the tire repair kit, never thought of that, I'll have to pick one up

I keep a simple plug type tire repair kit and a 12V cigarette socket plug-in compressor in all my cars. NSX included. You also need a cheapo Chinese diagonal cutters to pull the nail or whatever out of the tire. It also serves to cut the plug off flush with the tire.
Also a can of fix-a-flat for the wife.
All that said the NSX spare sits on a shelf in the garage. All other cars except the Ferrari Boxer carry the factory spare.
I like the weight savings and not using a "collectible" spare. The freaking Boxer spare is prolly worth more than many used cars and unobtainable. I imagine the NSX spare is close.

If I have to rely on the spare tire rim to save my life in a crash I had it coming.

Has anyone tried to inflate their 19 year old spare? There has been a few threads here stating most of our spares probably would not hold air anyway??

Has anyone tried to inflate their 19 year old spare? There has been a few threads here stating most of our spares probably would not hold air anyway??

This is true

I am sure if you look closely to most of your spares, you will find hairline cracks. I would certainly inflate your spare to see if it will hold air.

Also the Corvette C6 doesn't even have a spare (no where to put it)
This is why they are running on RunFlat Tires.

Spare, pump, fix a flat AND slime. Never go home without them. You can't always get reception out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. Phone and AAA card is as good as TP, and I rather have TP.

I've used mine twice in the last year or two. Works great but definitely just to get you home.

The spare from my '92 inflates and holds air. Still I would only use it for short drives to get home or to a tire repair shop if AAA is expected to take too long. I have a spare, spare sitting in the garage in case my original spare ever goes bad.

Back