What is my nsx worth????

I have a 93 acura nsx with 96000 miles on it and i have been considering selling it. It recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced. It has an aftermarket exhaust and is lowered on H&R racing springs. It has two problems. 1. 4th gear is messed up( wont even go into the gear) however every other gear is perfect and it shifts fine minus the exception of 4th.
2. The paint is mismatched but not to the point where the car is ugly. It could benefit from a paint job but it is not a huge drawback.
Other than that the car is in great condition with 2 or 3 minor dents and interior is good with normal wear. Just curious what it might go for. thanks

0ctan3 said:
I suspect it may be difficult to sell at anything higher than $20 - $21k.
You might be able to get $22-23K for it... but you might not. Anything higher is extremely unlikely.

You ought to consider having the transmission repaired before trying to sell it, even though it's likely to cost you 8-12 hours of labor (something over a grand) to have the transmission opened up, plus any parts that are needed. That repair would probably pay for itself in market value. No one wants to buy a car with a bad transmission.

I would say in today's market that the car is worth no more than $20k in it's current state. I have a 106k mile '92 currently for sale through Prime since early Dec 2004. The only mechanical issue with the car is a non-functioning cruise control. I have been offered $20-$23 too many times to count. I have accepted offers in the mid to upper @$23k and they have all gone by the way side due to no financing or somebody that just likes to know how much they would be able to buy the car for. The PO to my car had trans. problems and he spent almost $3k to have them repaired.
For every dollar you spend fixing the issues, you "may" recover that at the time of sale, and probably not more at this time.
I am wondering if it is just the season that I am selling in and soon the car will sell. I also had not marketed it outside of Prime and a trader ad starts this week.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44262

Heres a pciture. AS you can tell the car is not that bad in shape. I just really want to get rid of it so anyone making a good offer would be entertained. I really would want somewhere between 21-23000 or its jsut not worth it to me. car is pretty quick and sounds amazing

Attachments

• p1010092.jpg
    p1010092.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Doug said:
I have been offered $20-$23 too many times to count. I have accepted offers in the mid to upper @$23k and they have all gone by the way side due to no financing or somebody that just likes to know how much they would be able to buy the car for.
One of the downsides of trying to sell a car yourself is that you have to deal with lowballers and flakes. Don't judge the value of your car by either one.

Doug said:
I am wondering if it is just the season that I am selling in and soon the car will sell.
Late fall and winter are a horrible time of year to sell an NSX, other than in the Sunbelt. Potential buyers just aren't interested.

fast93nsx said:
AS you can tell the car is not that bad in shape. I just really want to get rid of it so anyone making a good offer would be entertained. I really would want somewhere between 21-23000 or its jsut not worth it to me. car is pretty quick and sounds amazing
With fourth gear not working, I would not claim that the car is "not that bad shape" or that it is "pretty quick". Without fourth gear, the car is basically inoperable.

4th gear has had no real affect on driving the car other than that gear is missing. Ive drove it for almost 6months that way cuz to fix it is an expensive undertaking. It is still pretty qucik due to the fact I raced at the track and barely got into 3rd and ran a 13.60. Didnt have to use 4th. Granted it does bringt the value down and is a headache, it does not make this inoperable.

This sound like a great fixer upper, Repair trans. $1500-$2500, may need new clutch when you have the tranny out. +$1600. A paint job like you stated, $5000-$7000 for oem quality repaint. A lot less if you are willing to get a Maaco respray. So with high miles, no issue NSX going for mid to high 20k, This fast 93 only needs ~$6000 -$9000 worth of work. It should make a great buy for someone with mechanical/body repair experience. I would say $12,000 to $15,000 would probably be a fair price, What do you guys think?

fast93nsx said:
4th gear has had no real affect on driving the car other than that gear is missing. Ive drove it for almost 6months that way cuz to fix it is an expensive undertaking. It is still pretty qucik due to the fact I raced at the track and barely got into 3rd and ran a 13.60. Didnt have to use 4th. Granted it does bringt the value down and is a headache, it does not make this inoperable.

While not making the car inoperable, the 4th gear issue is a major detraction from the value and the marketability of the car. I believe you are better off having the tranny fixed, even though it will cost at least $2k, as many people are simply not interested in a car that is not in good order and requires an expensive repair.

Since 3rd gear redlines at 115 MPH, there are very few NA1 NSXs with stock gearing that shift into 4th in a quarter mile run.

Im just trying to get a fair estimate but 6000-9000 worth of work?? First off paint job is not that much, a good job from a good place would be around 1500-3000 if jsut paintn outside. trans prolly around 1500- but u could buy a used one from scienceofspeed and put it in. Does not need a clutch because last owner replaced it.
Nadaguides( http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Va...MakeId=1187&VehicleId=1231&Year=1993&ColorId=)

with 96200 mile says in ok shape 29400. so even if u had 6000 worth of repairs that would make it a 23000 car. I just really dont wanna pursue fixing this car up so i thought i would sell it and start a new project

EIFFEL said:
This sound like a great fixer upper, Repair trans. $1500-$2500, may need new clutch when you have the tranny out. +$1600. A paint job like you stated, $5000-$7000 for oem quality repaint. A lot less if you are willing to get a Maaco respray. So with high miles, no issue NSX going for mid to high 20k, This fast 93 only needs ~$6000 -$9000 worth of work. It should make a great buy for someone with mechanical/body repair experience. I would say $12,000 to $15,000 would probably be a fair price, What do you guys think?

I'm a competant home mechanic who is looking for the right fixxer upper car. At the asking price of $21K I pass without slowing down - too many issues since a clean '91 can be had for that much. For $12K I drive to my credit union right now and meet you tonight. For $15K I'd have to think about it for a long time and figure out if I'd rather spend a few more grand for the no issues '91.

My $.02, and I'm serious on all of the above.

When you sell it, please let us know how much you get for it.

If the transmission hasn't been repaired, I'm taking bets with the over-under at $18K... :D

Even if your NSX was mint, up to date service-wise and no paint I suspect market value with those miles is mid-high twenties. It needs a tranny, it has been painted (roof if nothing else), and the condition of the tires, A/C, interior etc are unknown. Furthermore, if you don't consider a broken transimission or mismatched paint a big deal then we likely would not see eye to eye on a lot of other things. Personally, the price would have to be in the $15k range before I would even consider it.

I am very picky, here is the side that needs painted, tell me if you can even tell

Attachments

• p1010083.jpg
    p1010083.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,087
How about keeping it, and using it as a track car, that’s if it paid for and you have the room. :rolleyes:

I really wanna keep it, but right now financially its not doing to good on me. Im 21 and trying to start my own business so its kinda expensive(ecspecially insurance) and i wannt to sell it in order to build a more affordable car. But if its not gonna sell for a good price ill prolly end up keepin it because theres no point to lose money

Dave Hardy said:
I'm a competant home mechanic who is looking for the right fixxer upper car. At the asking price of $21K I pass without slowing down - too many issues since a clean '91 can be had for that much. For $12K I drive to my credit union right now and meet you tonight. For $15K I'd have to think about it for a long time and figure out if I'd rather spend a few more grand for the no issues '91.

My $.02, and I'm serious on all of the above.

Wow, where can I get a clean '91 for $21K? :eek: All the ones under $30K that I've seen are either high mileage, or have some issue or other.

Fast 93,those pics do us no good,need multiple high res which can be uploaded to our pics gallery,see the instructions.Next,you either don't want to believe or can't understand (with what you've told us) why your car is worth maybe 15k :confused: How much did you pay for it?Where these issues present when you bought it.Drag racing an nsx is not a high priority for the average buyer,so not having 4th gear is a big issue.!When I hear a 21 year old talk about any car they are trying to sell with the issues you are describing I think about the rabbit hole and how far "down '' I am willing to go.if you are serious about its' value you will need to have a independant mechanic/body shop ppi,let them take it for a spin and let us know the whole truth.BTW I do apreciate your initial honesty and candor,but there is probably much more to know about your car,,that you may not even be aware of :wink:

Ben said:
Wow, where can I get a clean '91 for $21K? :eek: All the ones under $30K that I've seen are either high mileage, or have some issue or other.

Clean can be high milage but with no paint, clear title and working components. And the answer to your question could be California.

Ben said:

ebay, prime, autotrader, etc. Probably not a dealer. Clean IMO means 8/10 paint, no immediate attention needed, etc. High mileage doesn't concern me. Especially on NSX's, since you guys consider 100K high mileage, while I consider it barely broken in.

Actually i have consulted 2 mechanics. Both master honda technicicans. One at a major dealership and one who owns his own shop. Other than the transmission, both said the car was in great shape. So in esscence, if i paint this car and fix transmission that makes this car that much more valuable?? 2 issues that are big, but not devastating to this car are hindering an ok price.

fast93nsx said:
Actually i have consulted 2 mechanics. Both master honda technicicans. One at a major dealership and one who owns his own shop. Other than the transmission, both said the car was in great shape. So in esscence, if i paint this car and fix transmission that makes this car that much more valuable?? 2 issues that are big, but not devastating to this car are hindering an ok price.

I would think that is the case with the transmission at least. Paint is a little tougher to say, especially if it is not a top quality job.

Here's my recommendation. Advertised the car for $30K and see if you can sell it. If not, then lower the price. You'll know the true value of your car sooner or later.

I would think 80% of the people out there doesn't know much about fixing cars; therefore, you should fix the car so that the buyers in the 80% population would be interested in buying your car.

Good luck!

Back