What is my nsx worth????

Engel07 said:
I would think 80% of the people out there doesn't know much about fixing cars; therefore, you should fix the car so that the buyers in the 80% population would be interested in buying your car.

Good luck!

Agreed - If you want to get top dollar for the car you have to fix those things. Transmission especially. As for paint, a cheap paintjob can hurt the value more than help it.

If OTOH you want top dump it, then you'll be stuck with cheapskates like me who are willing to buy an exotic with a possibly dead tranny.

Paint job for 1500-2000? is that the entire car? my friends uncle quoted me $2500 for my prelude and that was a deal. Unless it is just a portion of the car, that price is hard to get for a quality job around here. Dont get me wrong, you probably have better connections than me. 21 and driving a NSX is incredible... sure wish i got mine at that age =P As for value, I'd say about 17-19K at most. If you want 23K and up, fix the issues and that should be a possibility. Also depends where you live, some NSX's go for more/less depending on location.

Well i do have contacts i guess. I can get that car painted for 1000 with being put in bake booth and everythng, but i jsut wanna get rid of this car asap because i want to start my projet before show season. I know you guys all have ons of experiene when it comes to nsx thats why your prices are so low. every one of my friends have said between 20-25000 and an average person would say the same thing. Im gonna put 22000 and see where itll get me. thanks for all ur remarks though, even though majority made me frown, hahaha.

Ben said:
Wow, where can I get a clean '91 for $21K? :eek: All the ones under $30K that I've seen are either high mileage, or have some issue or other.

I was thinking the same thing. There is no way a clean NSX can be had for $21k without some major history like salvage title, tranny probs, or ebay fraud trying to get their next sucka.

I am seriously considering selling mine very soon to get a M5 and I would just keep it if I could only get 21k. However, I did fix almost every single little quirk that I could find asthetically and mechanically because even the smallest problem drives me nuts. :wink:

fast93nsx said:
Well i do have contacts i guess. I can get that car painted for 1000 with being put in bake booth and everythng, but i jsut wanna get rid of this car asap because i want to start my projet before show season. I know you guys all have ons of experiene when it comes to nsx thats why your prices are so low. every one of my friends have said between 20-25000 and an average person would say the same thing. Im gonna put 22000 and see where itll get me. thanks for all ur remarks though, even though majority made me frown, hahaha.

I know what a $1000 paint job looks like. The car is worth more with the dents and the original paint.

If you can get somebody to give you $22K for it, you'd be dumb to take less. I don't think you will though. Clean cars are available for that. PM me once the price gets to the mid-low teens though and we can talk.

You ready for this, car would be looked over, any bodywork needed would be done even though there isnt any bodywork need other than 2 dents i can fix or call dent man to fix, car would be perfectly taped, then painted and put in bake booth in order to let paint cure for proper time. I guess a place that does vipers, mercedes, bmws and stuff like that do crappy paint jobs. Before you criticize me, look at the big picture and see that people might have connections and not have to pay 5 grand for a 5grand paint job, i just dont wanna pursue it and jsut wanna get rid of the car.

If the paint job includes taping, then it isn't a good paintjob. A good paintjob means that the entire car is stripped of anything that isn't going to be painted. Lights, windows, interior, etc. Anywhere there is a tape line, that is an invitation to problems.

My racecar is sposored by a body shop. They did the 3 color base/clear paintjob for free. It still took me probably 50 hours of labor and several hundred dollars in incidentals (clips, gaskets, seals, weatherstripping, etc.) to get the car back together. That's for a free paintjob on a civic racecar. An NSX deserves a far nicer paintjob than any civic or any racecar. Doing all of the stripping labor myself, I'd still plan on spending $2000 for a proper paintjob on an NSX just for decent paint and the above mentioned incidentals. If I was paying a shop to do it right, I'd plan on $5000 because the whole car does have to come apart.

And yes, a shop that does Vipers and Mercedes is just as capable of being crappy as Earl Schieb is. 90% of a paintjob is in the prep and nobody will do proper prep on a $1000 respray.

Why was the paint mismatched? Has something already been re-sprayed due to acciednt or anything? I don't know as much as the owners here, but I was under the impression factory NSX paint was amazing.

Maybe forget about the paint, fix the tranny, and try to get someone for around $25K?

21 and an NSX... im jealous haha. I'm 21 and have a 95 grand am with 145K on it, yuck.

I thought body shops no longer have to "bake" the car after it's painted. That proper curing is a function of time, not heat. No?

First off, i have no clue what is up with the paint. It was that way when i bought the car. truly one side only need painted and blended into the car. front door, front fender, and bumper are the only pieces mismtached. A bodyshop could prolly paint and blend that part in. This bodyshop said the truly best way to get the paint as close to oem is to bake, im not a painter so im going by what these professionals said

I am sure that someone would be interested in this car despite the mismatched paint, missing 4th gear and the drag racing history, oh I forgot that it has been driven/owned by a 21 year old. Not me, but someone. Good luck.

Drag racing history???? I hardly call running my nsx 3 times down a dragstrip a history. Me being 21 has nothin to do with this car either. Being 60 or 21, it all depends on how you drive the car. Personally i drove it soft due to the fact i really dont have tons of money to fix problems if something broke like 4th gear. I came here to get advice, got advice, thanks

Last edited:
Dave Hardy said:
Clean IMO means 8/10 paint, no immediate attention needed, etc.
Yes, exactly. No, you can't get a clean NSX for $21K, not even with high mileage. I'll be happy to place a wager that any NSX for that price or less, and under 100K mileage, has something seriously wrong with it, and is not "clean". A clean above-mileage early NSX is going to cost $25-28K, and average or lower mileage will cost even more.

Dave Hardy said:
you guys consider 100K high mileage, while I consider it barely broken in.
For purposes of estimating market value, NSX mileage is above average, or average, or below average. Average mileage on NSXs is around 5K miles per year. So 70K miles is average mileage for an NSX. 100K is above average. That doesn't mean that an engine failure is imminent or anything, only that it has more miles than half the NSXs of the same vintage.

My over-under on this NSX, with its lame tranny and beat up body, is still $18K. If anyone offers you $20K for it, I would take the money and run! That's based on my observations of the NSX market, and evaluating selling and buying prices for over a hundred sales per year. But you don't have to believe me, or anyone else. Like Engel07 said, you can ask whatever you want for the car. Just don't be surprised if no one comes through and buys it for much over $20K. And please, please, please let us know how much you sell it for - because otherwise, we are going to assume that all of your hot air and bluster was intended to pump up the price of your beat-to-crap car, and when we don't hear from you, it will be because you will be too embarrassed to admit that we were right.

Also keep in mind, incase it wasn't already obvious, this is an NSX... a rare exotic. Not a normal $2X,XXX car like a used 350Z, Corvette or something. A ding or two there isn't gonna detract from the value as it might from this car. Alot of people own these with NO scratches whatsoever.

I hope you get as much as you can for it, but these guys know what they are talking about. I'd head advice.

How long have you owned the car and how many miles did you put on it? Do you have service records? I don't think it's as bad as 12-15k but without seeing the car I cannot say what someone might be willing to pay for it.
The thing that I would do as a buyer is compare your car and price to another NSX that was for sale and make a choice from there.
I think you asked us a question that we can't really answer so you are being given a hard time.

According to the links provided above by Doug the car is much rougher than you have stated in this thread. It appears that most of the guys are correct in pricing. If you paid somewhere close to 8K, as stated by yourself, the offer of 12-15K isn't bad. Anyone else think that there is much more wrong with this car?

brahtw8 said:
The weird thing is, the thread asking for the worth of a tired NSX with mismatched paint on one side occurs two months after the thread that he bought the car. Perhaps there were two tired NSXs, but the cars sound very similar.

:confused:

Thats a stretch.. It's more likely that it took that long for him to decide or to get the money to buy it or for the paperwork to be completed on a car in an impound lot. :wink:

"This is an impounded car with a clean title which i have seen."

Tough for me to call a running nsx a parts car ,,but that may be where the money is.Those links give us a glimpse into the history of this particular car.It brings up the point that an nsx,no matter that it is a honda,can not be repared or 'fixed" for crx,civic,or prelude dollars.We will continue to see more and more of these orphaned abused cars that are in a limbo of scarry but running.The sale prices make folks say,"hay I could afford that",but beyond gas and oil there aint much left.I'm not preaching directly to fast 93 but I am taking the opportunity to increase my post count :biggrin:

This is last post for me, but this is not an abused or crappy nsx. If i would have never said 4th gear is messed up i dont think it owuld have went this far. Yes paint is mismatched but its not like red and black panels. The car has been well maintained, since ive owned ive changed oil twice with royal purple, trans fluid to gm synchro, radiator flushed, timing belt, water pump, new tires. Im not saying this car is immaculate, but im not saying its junk either. I drive it on a regular basis( weather permitting) and it gets tons of attention and looks. Since its such a huge deal, ill take tran out this week, get it fixed and well go from there. Please explain this to me though http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28145&highlight=wrecked

Its wrecked it got 19000? It would take 10-15000 jsut to fix that car and thats lowballing it

I'm sorry if I made you feel unwelcome or was percieved as "jumping down your throat"I hope the car is made right,and you find a happy buyer.If you make some money in the deal great.I just like to discourage the sale of shady nsx's,and I lament over the fate of some of the abused ones.Your thread got me going not particularly about you,but as a public statement that proclaims our desire to keep every nsx as roadworthy as possible and to prohibit the sale of misrepresented cars to the uninitiated,thats all :wink:

fast93nsx said:
... but this is not an abused or crappy nsx.
fast93nsx,
How can you make such a definitive statement, even though you picked this car up at an impound lot, with 90K miles on it, and you said yourself that "carfax says its never been in a wreck but obviuosly it has been."?

Also, why do you ask a question, and then react negatively when people give their opinion? If you wanted people to tell you that you can get $23K for it, please state that in your original post. Something along the lines of:

"What is my nsx worth? Please only respond if you think the answer is at least $23K."

Back