NSX Dirty Secret, No 91 thru 94 Owner Will Acknowledge

Yes the NA2 coupes had the extra structural changes of a targa just because of the cost savings of simplifying production.
I think this is a highly debated topic with no conclusive evidence. It may have got some of the changes as later coupes did not need a rear strut bar, but certainly not all as coupes did not gain the weight. The part numbers also suggest otherwise the coupes did not get the targa reinforces like frame rails. Also the Targa complicates the production line either way and adding unnecessary weight to the coupes compromises the performance of the car.

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/nsx-chassis.219840/post-2069438

Last edited:
Ive heard that too, makes sense, but what is the source for that assertion. Any Honda literature state that states that or did somebody cut up the frame of a NA2 coupe? Agree the weight math implies otherwise. Assumed true A 95+ coupe with targa reinforcements would be,hands down, the stiffest NSX chassis ever produced.

The title of this thread reminds me of early click-bait stuff...a dirty secret? What? What is this, the secret lives of NSX wives?

Anyway, the responses are thought provoking. I've owned eight NSXs now, including two NA2 Coupes. I'd submit that while every NSX that I've owned has been incredible, the Coupes have a special place in my heart.

The proposition that the NA2 Coupes are more rigid than the NA1 Coupes has me scratching my head, however. Not sure I've ever seen any evidence of this nor even heard it spoken of until now.

My favorite NSX of all time has to be the one I have in the garage presently. '93 that weighs in right at 2700 pounds. Just had the JDM gears and final drive installed by Science of Speed, and it is an absolute joy to drive. My 992 GT3 is now being completely ignored while the NSX gets all the love...and all the driving time too. Now THAT'S a dirty secret that no one in the Porsche world want's to talk about. :)

My favorite NSX of all time has to be the one I have in the garage presently. '93 that weighs in right at 2700 pounds. Just had the JDM gears and final drive installed by Science of Speed, and it is an absolute joy to drive. My 992 GT3 is now being completely ignored while the NSX gets all the love...and all the driving time too. Now THAT'S a dirty secret that no one in the Porsche world want's to talk about. :)
So...what mods are needed to destroy my desire of a 992 GT3? 😅

So...what mods are needed to destroy my desire of a 992 GT3? 😅
Maybe the better question is what mods are necessary to bring the GT3 up to NSX level:

1. Reduce price of GT3 by about $190,000.
2. Eliminate the power steering
3. Lower the cowl height
4. Improve shift feel
5. Improve brake feel
6. Sprinkle Tochigi dust on it.

That's how to turn a GT3 into an NSX :) In all seriousness, having been through countless cars and brands, it's the NSX that I keep coming back to. The only problem is that it has cost me a small fortune for the education to get me to that conclusion. GT3 is a great car (we have both a 991 GT3 and a 992 GT3, both manual) and either would absoultely wipe the floor with an NSX on the track. I don't drive at the track any more.

Maybe the better question is what mods are necessary to bring the GT3 up to NSX level:

1. Reduce price of GT3 by about $190,000.
2. Eliminate the power steering
3. Lower the cowl height
4. Improve shift feel
5. Improve brake feel
6. Sprinkle Tochigi dust on it.

That's how to turn a GT3 into an NSX :) In all seriousness, having been through countless cars and brands, it's the NSX that I keep coming back to. The only problem is that it has cost me a small fortune for the education to get me to that conclusion. GT3 is a great car (we have both a 991 GT3 and a 992 GT3, both manual) and either would absoultely wipe the floor with an NSX on the track. I don't drive at the track any more.
Perhaps I should scratch off the 992 GTS off my toy list since I have a NA1 coupe already... :unsure:

Perhaps I should scratch off the 992 GTS off my toy list since I have a NA1 coupe already... :unsure:
Owned a 992 GTS (manual transmission with PCCB). Great car for sure, lots of turbo torque. Much different experience than an NA1. Nothing wrong with having both, but if I was forced to own only one car, it would be my NA1, no question.

Back