What is APPLE planning?

i am a little hesitant about the i-cloud; having all that info floating around would make it cake for hackers to steal info. someone i know, already knows how to do it.... :frown:

Yeah I think privacy is the strongest argument for personal clouds vs centralized services like iCloud. It doesn't help that iCloud also offers the ability to track your devices directly in realtime.

Apple's record has been pretty good, but it's hard to trust them when so many large financial institutions, retail outlets, and consumer electronics corporations like Sony have all been hacked and details leaked. The way I see it, it's a question of "when", not "if" when you have such a high value target.

Then again, I think people already freely give up so much of their privacy already on forums and social networking sites...

Just ordered my iPad3. Can not pass on resolution details like that. Apple certainly is going all out with this one. The only Android device that is even close is Asus Transformer Prime and it has so many bugs it is practically an ant hill.

ICS has been out for many, many months now and Google has one phone to show for it. Apple is starting to win me over. :redface:

The omission of stereo is freaking weird. It is noticeable but not a huge game changer. The bottom line is Apple is taking the tablet market serious and no one else is. I still think their iPhone is way, WAYYYY behind, well, almost anything out now. But if Apple comes up with built in Navigation, it may be enough to sway me away from Google phones.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that is a silly argument. It's the same as my friend saying it doesn't matter because he uses headphones. We''ll I don't. And I want to be able to sit and watch my ipad in stereo without needed anything else. Simple as that. Other tablets costing a fraction of the iPad do it, so why not the ipad? You won't realize how much you miss it until you use a stereo tablet and then go back to the ipad.

You make the same argument for Siri. "As for SIRI on the IPAD3, I wouldn't really need it because I have SIRI on my 4S. " So what. I don't have a 4S, so maybe I want it on the tablet.

If Apple put Siri on the iPad3 (which is what I'm calling it, despite what Apple says), then how are they going to sell you an iPad3S?

Look for stereo on the iPad4, and the Apple fanbois trumpeting the great new invention.

If Apple put Siri on the iPad3 (which is what I'm calling it, despite what Apple says), then how are they going to sell you an iPad3S?

Look for stereo on the iPad4, and the Apple fanbois trumpeting the great new invention.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Seconded for truth!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This fall, they're going to offer....*drum roll* a white iPad 3!!!! Wow, magical, amazing, white iPad 3!!! *drool*orgasm*

Apple certainly is going all out with this one.

Apple is not going "all out" with this one. Even this thread has brought up many things missing from the iPad3. Apple is going "incrementally out".

That said, it's still by far the best tablet out there. But it's still not any sort of god slate.

Apple is not going "all out" with this one. Even this thread has brought up many things missing from the iPad3. Apple is going "incrementally out".

That said, it's still by far the best tablet out there. But it's still not any sort of god slate.

Apple went "apple all out", which is kind of a half-hearted effort. Kind of a c+ effort.

If Apple went all out, the iPad 3 would be quad-core, 3D cameras, 2 different sizes (7 - 8", 10.1"), Siri 1.1 (not beta), and a stylus (in the enterprise space it would be useful for digital signature capture). This was a half-hearted effort at best.

Some really good points! I guess they went all out on the display. Still, what else out there is coming close? Anything?

The absence of a stylus for business needs is a really, really good point.

Hrmmmm...

Maybe I will play with it for a month and return it like I did the last one. :tongue:

I have a question.

So this new iPad will have amazing resolution. State of the art and ahead of the pack.

So what does that mean on that size screen? Does it mean that you can now use ur magnifying lens (not in the sun) and look at people's blemishes or study bacteria on one's fingernails?

I see this as more marketing hype then something that is more useful than the previous iPad.

I'm sorry but that is a silly argument. It's the same as my friend saying it doesn't matter because he uses headphones. We''ll I don't. And I want to be able to sit and watch my ipad in stereo without needed anything else. Simple as that. Other tablets costing a fraction of the iPad do it, so why not the ipad? You won't realize how much you miss it until you use a stereo tablet and then go back to the ipad.

I don't know about Stereo on the iPad and if it's really worth it IMO.
There's a few things to note
1) The installed speaker is already facing the wrong direction... backwards (or to the side).
2) Having 2 speakers for stereo would require additional space inside the body. Also it'll potentially drain the power quicker since now you have to drive two speakers instead of just one.
3) How are you going to address the stereo issue in both orientations (landscape and portrait). The only way I could see that is to have 3 speakers where at least one of them would have to alternate L&R depending on orientation... seems more complicated to me.
4) Even if you have stereo down for the Landscape mode, you'd have to have software that would be able to alternate the L&R output to each channel based on which landscape direction you had...again overly complicated..

I think you solve most of this by using headphones or external speakers connected via a headphone jack...

I don't know about Stereo on the iPad and if it's really worth it IMO.
There's a few things to note
1) The installed speaker is already facing the wrong direction... backwards (or to the side).
2) Having 2 speakers for stereo would require additional space inside the body. Also it'll potentially drain the power quicker since now you have to drive two speakers instead of just one.
3) How are you going to address the stereo issue in both orientations (landscape and portrait). The only way I could see that is to have 3 speakers where at least one of them would have to alternate L&R depending on orientation... seems more complicated to me.
4) Even if you have stereo down for the Landscape mode, you'd have to have software that would be able to alternate the L&R output to each channel based on which landscape direction you had...again overly complicated..

I think you solve most of this by using headphones or external speakers connected via a headphone jack...

Stereo works great on the Playbook, but yes you would need to make some design changes. Seems a little silly to have an amazing display and mono sound. Its like a NSX with a 1.6 Civic motor.

Some really good points! I guess they went all out on the display. Still, what else out there is coming close? Anything?

The absence of a stylus for business needs is a really, really good point.

Hrmmmm...

Maybe I will play with it for a month and return it like I did the last one. :tongue:

LOL where is the like button for this?

I will never spend my own money for an iPad. My own money goes towards an Android tablet. I'll probably get a Samsung quad-core tablet down the road. ICS is still getting its bugs worked out, should be good to go over the next few weeks / months.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFzJxGwqpOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFzJxGwqpOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ROFLMAO!!!

My company paid for my top of the line 3G iPad 2. I could easily ask them to get me the new iPad 3.

I think I'll just chill and swap it out for an Android ICS tablet this summer.

What good is having a 10.1 high resolution display when the user interface is only nothing but full of boring icons? I can make so much better use of the Android interface, have it push emails to widgets, weather, stock, even news streams right to the home screen. So much more useful. :smile:

I have a question.

So this new iPad will have amazing resolution. State of the art and ahead of the pack.

So what does that mean on that size screen? Does it mean that you can now use ur magnifying lens (not in the sun) and look at people's blemishes or study bacteria on one's fingernails?

I see this as more marketing hype then something that is more useful than the previous iPad.

It means that fine details are crisp and clear. It's like looking at a printed page - which could be pretty darn useful if you're reading a book or magazine. Particularly if you're using fonts/characters with lots of little/fine details (think Asian).

And yes it also means that higher-rez photographs look absolutely amazing.

It means that fine details are crisp and clear. It's like looking at a printed page - which could be pretty darn useful if you're reading a book or magazine. Particularly if you're using fonts/characters with lots of little/fine details (think Asian).

And yes it also means that higher-rez photographs look absolutely amazing.

Yes, I am looking forward to see how the Motor Trend app looks on it because right now the text doesn't look good.

Just got a shipping confirm and tracking number on my IPAD 3. :biggrin:
My ups tracking says it just got scanned in Chengdu, China today and will be delivered to my house in Florida Friday. And they engraved it for me no charge. Cool!

Luckily I sold my Ipad 1 a few weeks ago. Prices have come down a lot in the last week on older models since Apple dropped the IPAD 2 to 399.00

The reason for my upgrade was the original ipad was somewhat slow for work.
Hopefully I'll get more than 16 months out of the new one.

Last edited:
So it appears a lot of the Foxconn workplace story was a bunch of lies...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...episode-says-daisey-fabricated-175638428.html

-J
Interesting. I find the whole outrage against Apple to be kind of stupid anyway because if people really wanted to effect change, they'd put their wallet where their mouth is and stop buying Apple products. Or they can petition the government to stop the free trade agreement and/or force US companies to stop doing business with countries that lack worker and environmental protection laws. Most for-profit businesses are only interested in the bottom line, and they'll take advantage of whatever they can to increase that. Just like how people bitch about how Walmart is bad but continue to shop there anyway.

Interesting. I find the whole outrage against Apple to be kind of stupid anyway because if people really wanted to effect change, they'd put their wallet where their mouth is and stop buying Apple products. Or they can petition the government to stop the free trade agreement and/or force US companies to stop doing business with countries that lack worker and environmental protection laws. Most for-profit businesses are only interested in the bottom line, and they'll take advantage of whatever they can to increase that. Just like how people bitch about how Walmart is bad but continue to shop there anyway.

It's also stupid because of all the companies that use Foxconn and other assembly plants, Apple is by far the best when it comes to ensuring worker treatment, safety and wages.

The only reason Apple is being targeted is because they're in the news and popular. There's no reason to picket a Dell, Sony store because no one would care.

-J

Last edited:
Ouch. Stock got hammered today. Beginning of the end?

Beginning of the end for who? Google, Nasdaq?

It was more than APPL.

-J

Well there could be 3 things going on with Apple.

1) Selling @ tax time.

2) Something is seriously wrong.....China.........Apple TV............Iphone 5........earnings..............

3) Face book. Yes Face book. Portfolio managers have been anticipating FB IPO and will need to build a serious cash position to buy FB. Logically they will sell their biggest position or winner.

4) NASDAQ. NASDAQ just changed their rules so a company would not have to wait 2 years to become a part of their index, they would only have to wait 3 months. Logically they did this because of FB. Also, Apple is now about 18% of the NASDAQ 100 index and that is quite frankly a bit much. If NASDAQ re-balances their index and lowers the weighting of Apple, it will have to be rebalanced and sold.

Back