What is APPLE planning?

I noticed prime YouTube videos seems to be crapshoot. Sometimes they play great, sometimes not at all and sometimes they just play sound with no video. is there a setting I have wrong, or is that just how it is?

It's Youtube app that is crap, it won't let you view videos in higher quality over 3G. While on wifi, you can view the videos at higher resolution though. Don't bother using the native youtube app, instead, go to their website thru safari.

No, you didn't read my post carefully enough. You can not see the sizes of your videos / photos / music without plugging it into the PC.

Not even on the latest iOS 5.0.1.

The new iTunes U sounds like a stupid idea, universally panned by almost all tech sites. Lock in educational media to iOS only? Sure... :rolleyes:

Education made more expensive, by paying 30% royalty to Apple, and keeping it on iOS only...

iTunes U just means a collection of podcasts that has been hosted on iTunes for free for years at no cost. However, if you don't know about it, it was hard to find. The new app is just a front end to to give it more exposure. It didn't cost students anything before, and doesn't cost anything now.

Re: Apple's Siri Still Hates the British. And Southerners

Apple's Siri Still Hates the British. And Southerners

Siri makes the new Apple iPhone 4S incredibly easy to use … as long as you're not from England. Or Scotland. Or Tennessee. Or Mexico.

Siri in Scotland (nsfw language):

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/46b_1328121189"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/46b_1328121189" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

To be fair, I can't understand many Scots either :biggrin: .

http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/15/10416453-is-apple-over-a-chinese-ibarrel

120215-ipad-china-grab-915a.380;380;7;70.jpg

The user manual for Proview's IPAD shows off its boxy wireless device shaped like an old TV. Proview claims it has the rights to the trademark "IPAD" in China , locking it in a legal battle with U.S.-based tech giant Apple.

120215-ipad-china-grab-03-915a.380;380;7;70.jpg

I had an iPad2 for a month and then returned it to try out the Samsung10.1. What iPad is great at the Samsung sucks at and vice versa. They couldnt be more different. After using the Samsung, i think i might like it more, but both fail in ways that can certainly be improved.

Bottom line is, i will never own an Apple device until they get a native Navigation function and drop/fix Safari. Both are terrible and pointless, and seem to hold Apple back from being truly great.

Re: Apple's Siri Still Hates the British. And Southerners

Siri in Scotland (nsfw language):

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/46b_1328121189"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/46b_1328121189" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

To be fair, I can't understand many Scots either :biggrin: .
that's great, thx for the reminder of days gone by :)

Re: Mountain Lion

Mac OS X 10.8 -- Mountain Lion

OK, fess up -- how many you guys still running Leopard? You're about to be three generations behind.

Sheepishly raises his hand. My mini is still running Leopard. Also still have an old dual powerpc G5 running Tiger. :P

My 6 yr old son is also using an old 17" iMac running Tiger. Still works fine for what he uses it for.

We're still running Snow Leopard and that's as far as My Macbook Pro (c 2006) will go. I'm going to get a new laptop next month and will update her iMac to Lion then.

Last edited:

OK, fess up -- how many you guys still running Leopard? You're about to be three generations behind.

running Lion on the MBP, but I do have a PPC Mac mini that hasn't been fired up in about a year that's running Leopard, but if I recall correctly, that's as far as that's gonna go. I don't think Snow Leopard was supported on PPC.

so who is getting the "new iPad"?

I am looking forward to seeing the screen. does anyone know if it is finally stereo?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

I watched the keynote and they did not mention it. It seems so obvious in a handheld device like the iPad to have a left and right speaker. Weird why they didn't do it before and doubly weird if they didn't do it on the new one.

But it really does look great - and the apps like iPhoto look fantastic. A really great tool for photographers!

It will be interesting to see iFixIt's teardown.

Regarding the keynote. Yeah, it's fun watching the keynote, particularly if you're a geek and an Apple fan. But I also watch the Apple keynotes to hone my presentation skills. I thought Tim Cook did a good job today. A little bit more animated than his last presentation - but of course, he's no Jobs. Regardless, these guys really know how to craft a presentation.

Last edited:

I am looking forward to seeing the screen. does anyone know if it is finally stereo?

I pre-ordered one today. I love my Ipad 1. The only thing I looked forward to was the higher resolution screen. Didn't care about cameras/siri/other BS.

Leopard does everything I need to do, runs flawlessly, doesn't crash etc etc.
I'd need to see some clear advantages before putting out the cash for an upgrade.

Netviper,

It would be nice if the new ipad were stereo. It does not really matter that much because of AIRPLAY. This will allow your iphone/ipad to play wirelessly through compatable devices such as a home theater. I am guessing it is only a short period of time when you will be able to link your itunes library or pandora to a car stereo. My new Pioneer VSX 1021 is airplay capable.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

As for SIRI on the IPAD3, I wouldn't really need it because I have SIRI on my 4S. It does kind of baffle me as to why Apple would leave that off the new ipad. I think that was a real mistake unless it is going to be incorporated into an upcoming software release.

I kind of agree with the AirPlay and also because you can plug in headphones. But still it does seem to be an odd omission. One more speaker can't be that much more costly. And it would be nice to have stereo when you're out-and-about.

-Jim

Netviper,

It would be nice if the new ipad were stereo. It does not really matter that much because of AIRPLAY. This will allow your iphone/ipad to play wirelessly through compatable devices such as a home theater. I am guessing it is only a short period of time when you will be able to link your itunes library or pandora to a car stereo. My new Pioneer VSX 1021 is airplay capable.

As for SIRI on the IPAD3, I wouldn't really need it because I have SIRI on my 4S. It does kind of baffle me as to why Apple would leave that off the new ipad. I think that was a real mistake unless it is going to be incorporated into an upcoming software release.

i am a little hesitant about the i-cloud; having all that info floating around would make it cake for hackers to steal info. someone i know, already knows how to do it.... :frown:

Netviper,

I'm sorry but that is a silly argument. It's the same as my friend saying it doesn't matter because he uses headphones. We''ll I don't. And I want to be able to sit and watch my ipad in stereo without needed anything else. Simple as that. Other tablets costing a fraction of the iPad do it, so why not the ipad? You won't realize how much you miss it until you use a stereo tablet and then go back to the ipad.

You make the same argument for Siri. "As for SIRI on the IPAD3, I wouldn't really need it because I have SIRI on my 4S. " So what. I don't have a 4S, so maybe I want it on the tablet.

Ultimately I think the reason it does not have siri is because too many people wouldn't understand that it needs a data connection to work and they would get angry that it doesn't work when they are in the car with their wifi "new iPad". Even with the 4G models, it is subscription based, so you have to same problem unless someone has bought the monthly plans.

They could say that Siri is only enabled when a customer buys the monthly subscription data plans. I am kind of surprised they didn't do that as it is more revenue for everyone.

Last edited:
I love Apple, paying for yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!! :biggrin:

In all seriousness the new iPad 3 is not a huge upgrade from my iPad 2. All the hype was really just that, again.

I don't know, I think the screen is a pretty huge upgrade. The question is how much better will it look from your normal viewing distance compared to the iPad2.

Back