What do you guys think of this Scion?

Another positive review on the track. Excellent balance, better EPS than a new 911, combined mpg ~42, and the head VP of NA Toyota claiming it will for sure fit 4 track tires?...Hope all this is true and not a bunch of hype...

Piston Heads Review

That makes sense since they already sell a SC for the TC.
The only problem I see is that this engine is "high compression 12.5:1". It'll be interesting to see how they plan to boost this. I feel they'll come out with something south of 10-11:1 as their boosted model.

EDIT TO ADD:
well according to autoblog :( :( :(

And that's why there's no turbo, and no plans to include one – the engine occupies the space where Subaru would normally bolt one on. They moved so many things around, we don't know why they couldn't have been just as creative with some forced induction, but the company's traditional placement of the intercooler atop the engine simply wouldn't have worked. Subaru plans a longer life-cycle for the car, six to seven years instead of four to five, and it was strongly hinted that we would see a power bump during a mid-cycle refresh – but not a turbocharged bump. We were told as well, though, that this engine will be the base of Subaru's next-generation turbocharged engine.

Last edited:
That makes sense since they already sell a SC for the TC.

Why does this make sense? The engine is from Subaru. I would think that what would make sense would be to use the forced induction solution that Subaru would use.

I really like these cars. I'd probably opt for the Subaru just because I like the styling a bit more. It's nice that at least two companies see the need for such a sports car. I may indeed swap my Accord V6 for the BRZ.

Imagine if Honda would have done something like this. Of course, they would never do so, but it's nice to imagine. Honda would have forced a hybrid-green solution onto the car and it would have been front wheel drive or AWD.

Imagine if Honda would have done something like this. Of course, they would never do so, but it's nice to imagine. Honda would have forced a hybrid-green solution onto the car and it would have been front wheel drive or AWD.

I think they did.. They called it the S2000.

I think they did.. They called it the S2000.

Yeah, I was considering the S2000, but it was a bit more upscale than the new ToyBaru cars.

I was thinking more along the lines of a swoopy coupe or convertible weighing 2,500 lbs and using the standard Civic R-spec engine with RWD and have it sell for $25K-$30K. Keep it simple with minimum of doo-dads.

That would be hot. But Honda would never do it. Shame.

Last edited:
Saw this today. Wasn't this the mantra of the Honda NSX engineers?

...wow.. i'm so sad.............

attachment.php

I can't wait to build mine :)
attachment.php

Toyota GT 86 With TRD Supercharger Already In The Works

Toyota‘s GT 86 hasn’t even made its way into the hands of consumers, but a high-performance variant of the new sports coupe is already in the works out in Japan.

It doesn’t appear that Toyota’s willing to just sit around and play second fiddle to Subaru‘s BRZ with Chief Engineer Tetsuo Tada telling the media that supercharged test cars have already been made and are currently being scrutinized by Toyota Racing Development (TRD).

In the past, TRD has been known to develop superchargers for various Toyota models, including Scion‘s tC coupe. With the FR-S inevitably taking over as Scion’s top-of-the-line sports coupe, seeing a TRD variant equipped with a supercharger would be no surprise. Toyota prefers the supercharger approach since it’s simpler than increasing the engine size, and altering throttle response with a turbocharger would compromise the car’s performance objections.

What will be really exciting is if TRD takes on the GT 86 from bumper to bumper, offering styling accessories and even suspension components to go along with a supercharger option. Hopefully all of this goodness will make its way to America and onto our FR-S.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...th-trd-supercharged-already-in-the-works.html

I really like these cars. I'd probably opt for the Subaru just because I like the styling a bit more.

How can you even tell the difference? All I see is that one is painted blue and one is painted red. Besides that, even GM does a better job of differentiating their products and that is not saying a lot.

I'm one of the few here who will probably pull the trigger on one. I need a new DD for next yr and, for my needs, this fits the bill. It's not perfect and I wish it looked closer to the concept but once the dust settles it's got a pretty set of compelling attributes, versatility, and practicality. Still looking into other diesel options though. Also not sure I can wait until the May release date, nor do I want to pay the inflated prices at that time.

I've been obsessing about this car for a few weeks now. To me, they are both the same car but it's got more Subaru DNA with a few Toyota parts mixed in. Subaru engineered it. Toyota project managed it and did a way better job marketing but it is bred as a Subaru. For some reason I don't see it like the American cars. This was a true joint venture. The Americans just rebadge and massage the trim levels. No real collaboration between distinct auto building philosophies.

My decision will be based on:
1. Trim level & Option packages
2. Pricing
3. Styling

In that order. For some reason I don't care what badge I end up with. Is that weird? :)

How the oil filter is accessible from the top of the engine??:biggrin: I love it!
uhhmm... no. this. :cool:

Thursday December 8, 2011 12:42

Turbocharged FA20 Targeted for 270hp. Confirmed for Next Gen WRX
http://www.ft86club.com/?p=964
The FA20 is the same motor as what's in the BRZ/FT-86.

btw.. Adrian, Five Axis is confirmed to make a "kit" for the FT86 that may resemble the original concept car. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

btw.. Adrian, Five Axis is confirmed to make a "kit" for the FT86 that may resemble the original concept car. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

how can they do that? the fenders have been dramatically raised from the original concept

While I would love for them to return the original concept's very low front hood, I believe it'll probably remain a concept.

the new pedestrian safety regulations took its toll on a lot of car designs. Just look at the new Pagani.

how can they do that? the fenders have been dramatically raised from the original concept

While I would love for them to return the original concept's very low front hood, I believe it'll probably remain a concept.

the new pedestrian safety regulations took its toll on a lot of car designs. Just look at the new Pagani.
They're making a "kit". No one said they'll be reproducing the entire concept car. Likely a bunch of bolt-on pieces...

Back