What do you guys think of this Scion?

I think they look pretty nice. My DD is a 05 Scion TC and it now has 90K miles on it, i beat the heck out of it and have never had any issues. If this new one is as reliable as my TC has been i would buy one in a heartbeat.

I'm really considering this as my next DD. I just need to get over the lack of any real back seats.

Where this car really excels is the curb weight of ~2600lbs. That's most excellent. That will make the almost gutless 197hp/151lb motor decently fun. I hope all the hype on low center of gravity and fun to drive qualities are real.

The rumored $28k pricetag was derived from doing the UK to US price conversion. That's not the official US price so let's hope it's cheaper stateside.

Here's an interesting size comparison.
original.png

You can find the Subie right after the Scion in the gallery here:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155023

Looks like the styling of the Subie is more "conventional."
Thanks. The 1st page of this thread also has the photos of the Scion and Subaru. To my eyes, they look almost identical...which is really odd.

Even the Ford products look different from the Mercury products, but Scion / Subaru looks almost exactly alike, aside from the inverted front air dam.

You can find the Subie right after the Scion in the gallery here:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155023

Looks like the styling of the Subie is more "conventional."

I was at the LA Auto show on Saturday and saw both the Scion and Subaru. However it appears that the front end on the Scion at the LA Auto show is not the final version since the front end at the Tokyo show is different.

just got back from LA not long ago.

Attachments

• IMGP1255.jpg
    IMGP1255.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP1256.jpg
    IMGP1256.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMGP1257.jpg
    IMGP1257.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMGP1259.jpg
    IMGP1259.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 67
I actually much prefer the Subaru to the Scion. The looks of the BRZ are much more up my alley than the FT86 or whatever.

This concept has been "ready to launch" for years now...I'm still waiting to see one at the local Toyota/Subaru.

I like the size, let's hope that the weight and price are true to what was spec'd out.

Last edited:
Ok finally, here's the production models that debuted yesterday at the tokyo motor show....

Fr-s
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470

Brz
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461

Im definitely excited about these vehicles and cant wait to see them on the road, my vote goes for the toyota easily, you can see the front styling is much better on the toyota.:wink: love them both though! I think its been long overdue for something like this to come out of japan.
The photo coverage on the BRZ is outstanding. Then I noticed something interesting...

IMG_5928.JPG

hope the engine next to it makes it into the BRZ
IMG_5931.JPG

Last edited:
^Yep the guy that took the pix is on the ft86club forum and he took tons of amazing pictures and I hope that engine makes it in there too!:biggrin:

I think the fact that it says TOYOTA and SUBARU on the engine is pretty cool:cool:

I was at the LA Auto show on Saturday and saw both the Scion and Subaru. However it appears that the front end on the Scion at the LA Auto show is not the final version since the front end at the Tokyo show is different.

just got back from LA not long ago.

Those are Concepts, not the production models. Note that the Scion FR-S Concept (built by Five Axis) at the LA Autoshow is the same as the very first post.

Last edited:
The photo coverage on the BRZ is outstanding. Then I noticed something interesting...

hope the engine next to it makes it into the BRZ
IMG_5931.JPG

A 1.6L motor? I hope they DON'T put it in the BRZ. Needs to be at least 2.0L :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Spec and everything else aside, somehow the more I look at it, the more it looks like the merge of Tiburon and Genesis coupe.

What do you guys think?

I was hoping the exterior design can be a little more radical to stir up more excitement, but now just a bit disappointed somehow ...

As a previous poster mentioned, that is just basically a re-badged FT-86.

The reason why the hood is so ugly as it is is that they couldn't make the original hood of the FT-86 (which was a beauty) pass pedestrian crash inspections so they had to bloat it out and make it as hideous as it is right now. The original design had such a low engine hood because it was using the Subaru flat 4 engine. Now they raised the hood and it ruined it all together.

That's not the only thing they ruined in that car. The original car was suppose to be no more than 1200Kg and in the price range of 20,000 US$. Now it's going to be much heavier than that and much much more expensive.

The original idea was a beautiful fun pocket rocket for everyone out there. The current progress suggests a 4 cylinder 370Z competitor which is a joke if you ask me.

I missed the final price. Where did you see that?

Last edited:

I think this thread has been running for a very long time and so is causing a bit of confusion.

some of the posts in it are very old scoops and some others are as recent as this week.

Some questions and posts are on old news and some are on newer news which is what I think Dhalsim was asking about.

Sorry all for my part of any confession

Is there any news of an sti version of the brz? That should be enough to seperate it from the frs

Turbo? Go subaru
Cant afford it? Go scion

Back