Unofficial Ferrari-Style/F1 Exhaust Thread

?

My point was that even a whatever with an exhaust can sound decent on a track since the sound resonates bounces of the walls. Try it in an indoor garage.

If you watch the entire video there's a scene where car passes the camera. The high pitched exhaust is prevalent with no wall around it for the sound to bounce off.

what does a zonda have to do with a civic? you brought it up.

How different is different???

I'm pretty sure the GT500 cars (like the ones in the video) use turbos and a different engine. I'm not sure the exact specs but I've read about it in the past. Honda has used a few different configurations throughout the years.

Now the GT300 cars use the C30 engine with ITB's and a host of other goodies.

These JGTC NSX's are revving much higher than our street NSX's so they'll naturally sound much differently. ....which takes me into the next topic.

Keep in mind the higher the car revs, the higher the pitch will be. Those F1 cars are revving 16,000 RPMs++++ so hence the high pitch. Sportbikes and some of those exotics mentioned also rev very high and that's why they have a high pitch as well.

Oops. I thought those were older cars. :redface:

I thought so too but the graphics look like the newer ones. You're right though, the older ones were the ones that were NA. Honda then switched to the 3.0 ltr turbo... Exact specs are hush hush and nobody really knows the specific details on the engines.

how do you hear the exhaust notes over that crappy music in the backround?:confused:

since when was deftones crappy music? you must just be old or something :tongue:

and there is no point in trying to make your nsx sound like a ferrari.... it's never going to happen. the secret isn't in the exhaust....

F355 engine
f355spider_engine.jpg

F1 engine
_Ferrari_F1%20Engine__front.jpg

nsx engine
2917_13lo.jpg

that's why the nsx sounds like a truck compared to a ferrari.... and if you don't think so, you've never heard a ferrari in person

(this is also the secret to the nsx's reliability over the 355)

That is not correct. The current Super GT NSX GT500's are all naturally aspirated. The JGTC GT500 NSX's in that video are also NA. They converted to 3.0 liter turbos for two years with lackluster results, and then went back to 3.5L NA, only this time the now longitudinally mounted engine sits in an all carbon chassis that no longer shares any components with the original NSX. They also have a much deeper baritone exhaust compared to the previous NA versions.

In actuality, the NSX's in that video are more similar to ours than you think. They share the same aluminum chassis (albeit reinforced) and same transversal engine layout. The obvious differences are a 3.5L displacement, dry sump oil lubrication, exotic engine components and aggressive cams and overall compression, etc etc. Engine pitch is also affected by other factors besides RPM's.

In my opinion, the previous generation GT500 NSX's sounded the best, even thought the newer longitudinal ones have a lot more torque and are much faster.

ps. There are a lot of threads here going a ways back discussing the physical attributes that differentiate engine sounds between the NSX's, Ferrari's and the like. One thing I've noticed since Ferrari switched to 4 valves from 5 among other things, their engines became a lot stronger but deeper in pitch as well. Just have a listen to the F430 or the Enzo.

That is not correct. The current Super GT NSX GT500's are all naturally aspirated. The JGTC GT500 NSX's in that video are also NA. They converted to 3.0 liter turbos for two years with lackluster results, and then went back to 3.5L NA, only this time the now longitudinally mounted engine sits in an all carbon chassis that no longer shares any components with the original NSX. They also have a much deeper baritone exhaust compared to the previous NA versions.

In actuality, the NSX's in that video are more similar to ours than you think. They share the same aluminum chassis (albeit reinforced) and same transversal engine layout. The obvious differences are a 3.5L displacement, dry sump oil lubrication, exotic engine components and aggressive cams and overall compression, etc etc. Engine pitch is also affected by other factors besides RPM's.

In my opinion, the previous generation GT500 NSX's sounded the best, even thought the newer longitudinal ones have a lot more torque and are much faster.

ps. There are a lot of threads here going a ways back discussing the physical attributes that differentiate engine sounds between the NSX's, Ferrari's and the like. One thing I've noticed since Ferrari switched to 4 valves from 5 among other things, their engines became a lot stronger but deeper in pitch as well. Just have a listen to the F430 or the Enzo.

Where did you find this info from? Not saying you're wrong, I searched for it and all I found is that Honda is VERY secretive with the specs on their Super GT racecars. Last thread I found mentioned a 3.0 turbo...nothing since. Do share your source :biggrin:

Where did you find this info from? Not saying you're wrong, I searched for it and all I found is that Honda is VERY secretive with the specs on their Super GT racecars. Last thread I found mentioned a 3.0 turbo...nothing since. Do share your source :biggrin:

You know I went to check supergt.net's site last night before I wrote this and I couldn't find any specs on the cars. Well Nihon Car is one place you can read up on Super GT, and btw the NSX's have been winning:biggrin:

Some nice pics too:

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-460-Honda+Motorsports:+the+plans+for+2007.html

T

Last edited:
Here is a nice clip that I like

Trevs 91 Nice:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TECLOo39ZrQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TECLOo39ZrQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

More info: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86857

Here is a nice clip that I like

Trevs 91 Nice:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TECLOo39ZrQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TECLOo39ZrQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

More info: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86857

Wow...surprisingly that DOES sound really good. I'm sure there are many different Flowmaster mufflers out there and I wonder which one he has (in the video). There's a local NSX here where the owner fabbed a Flowmaster system made for a Camaro and I didn't think that one sounded too good. Has the stock pitch but just louder,.....like an amped stock exhaust. I like the high pitch of the exhaust in the video above though.

I know, I always heard Flowmasters to be kinda gurgly, like muscle-car type. My guess is this NSX kept it's cats.

Paul

since when was deftones crappy music? you must just be old or something :tongue:

and there is no point in trying to make your nsx sound like a ferrari.... it's never going to happen. the secret isn't in the exhaust....

F355 engine
f355spider_engine.jpg

F1 engine
_Ferrari_F1%20Engine__front.jpg

nsx engine
2917_13lo.jpg

that's why the nsx sounds like a truck compared to a ferrari.... and if you don't think so, you've never heard a ferrari in person

(this is also the secret to the nsx's reliability over the 355)

The secret is more on the intake side than the exhaust side. But again, I never meant directly to sound like a ferrari, i mere used it as a description.

Nice pics by the way.

I think the search is over. What IS THAT?

Wait...Don't tell me this is your no-exhaust system set-up as seen in your other vids!

That sounds sexy as hell. What exhaust is that?

According to the title of that video, it is a Love Fab turbo car. From a photo off their website, they use the Megnaflow canisters.
97_underside.JPG_sized.jpg

Not sure a NA stock engine will produce the same sound though.

I was surprised that the Saleen S7's also use Megnaflow canisters as well.

According to the title it is from the Stock Engine, so does this mean the Stock as in no-turbo-installed? I never hear the turbo on this clips.

According to the title it is from the Stock Engine, so does this mean the Stock as in no-turbo-installed? I never hear the turbo on this clips.

Not all turbos have that high pitched whistle you're thinking of. Some may have a hollow "whoosh" sound (as in this video). "Stock motor" in this video means the motor is not built like some of their other applications. Just a bolt on turbo kit :)

Some cars get that sexy growling sound when you first push it and then ease on the throttle at full speed. Is that due to the exhaust or headers or maybe both?

Check out this clip of Scorp's car (00:11) to se what i mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YOhsPG0dOs

Sounds allmost like a Zonda F!:eek: :biggrin: ..best sounding car ever btw.

The secret is more on the intake side than the exhaust side. But again, I never meant directly to sound like a ferrari, i mere used it as a description.

Nice pics by the way.

i was thinking more bore/stroke....
the whole reason why a production honda will never sound (quite) like a ferrari
and the whole reason why hondas are more reliable

a production honda has to be reliable.....
this is why they were playing with the displacement for the new nsx.... they thought 4 liters in the V10 wouldn't be reliable enough, so they moved it up to 5..... luckily they made a compromise and hit it with 4.5..... we'll see what it is in the end

Back