Turbo the NSX or trade it for a Ferrari 360?

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard decision with something and am hoping you turbo guys can set me straight.

Brief history:

Early last year, I bought a F355. I chose it over the 360 because of pricing (liked the 360 lines better but the 355 was more affordable). After getting the 355, I was a bit underwhelmed with the off-the-line performance (I come from an American muscle background where 400+HP were my daily drivers). Handling was superb, sound was orgasmic, but the power lacked.

I sold the car and was going to wait for a good 360 to show up. In the meantime, I bought a friend's NSX. I knew the car was top notch and well maintained. I find it just as good as the F355 in every way, minus the exhaust sound (had a Tubi on my 355). Like the 355, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the off-the-line power.

I have a pretty decent offer in front of me for trading in my NSX toward a 360. Power/torque are up on the 360 but I don't expect it to "launch me back" into my seat like my Vipers did.

My question is this: When you guys put turbos on your NSX, did it really bring a super wide smile to your face? Will a kit like the Angus turbo kit "throw me into the seat"?

I'm trying to answer this formula:

Is the smile from a turbo NSX >= smile from being a 360 owner?

If the turbo NSX (400HP desired) even feels half like any of my Vipers, I think I'd be happy staying a member of the family.

I'm just looking for opinions on how the power changed and how your perceptions of the car might have changed with the addition of FI.

I know this will be a hard question to answer -- just looking for any input.

Steve

I purchased my car new and I knew I would not be happy with the power but I was impressed with all of the other attributes of the car. I bought it with the intention of installing FI since day 1. My thought is you can make any car faster but you cannot improve upon reliability and the feel of the car. I was thinking of a F car before the economy went sour but I couldn't pull the trigger and sell my car. I bought the 1st production Lovefab Turbo System and with 8 PSI and I never thought of buying another high HP car. I have quite a few freinds with high HP cars (C6 vette, Vipers, high power Supras etc) and they were all VERY impressed with the power of my 400 RWHP turbo NSX. If you have the right exhaust with the turbo the car will sound just about as cool as anything else on the road. Keep in mind the car will be louder if run a open wastegate (only under WOT). The only downside is you will be very satisfied until one day you get hooked on the go fast crack pipe and you start thinking about a FI engine build in order to handle more boost. Trust me.........boost is ADDICITVE !!! So I think you will smile more than you would in a turbo NSX than you would with a stock 360.

Last edited:
I had a BBSC NSX with 416rwhp and it was a blast. From what I have read, the Lovefab is very relaible and it would be a blast. My car never threw me back in my seat like the vette does or like your viper did, but I would suspect a turbo NSX would be more fun because it makes a lot more TQ and at much lower RPM than my car did.

I have been in several 360's and there is no question my NSX was faster than a stock one, but I would have traded it any day for a 360. The experience in the Ferrari is just so much more just HP. It has enough HP to keep you well entertained.

I too was dissapointed with the HP/TQ in the 355, but the 360 felt much better to me.

That is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Thank you!

What part of MD? I'd love to get a rid before spending the money for the upgrades.

Steve

Im on the Eastern Shore about 20 minutes from the Bay Bridge. Too late on the ride......I shipped the car to Ca. for installation of another engine for increased boost. You can get a ride after it's done but will have about 600 RWHP upon completion.

buy the 360 and boost it! Muahahahaahaha! either way whatever choice you make they are both beautiful cars specially a boosted nsx! About two years ago i almost purchased a f430 30K down (including trading in my nsx) and about 2500 a month...

i think there are 2 problems with the nsx is received:
-most american populus compares it to what they imagine is a supercar- a 1/4 muscle car.
-the nsx is geared way too high which makes the car feel lazy yet helps maintain stability (which honda was undoubtely intending). i am sure people who changed their final gearing can attest that the car's 'feeling' has been radically altered.

Have you considered Nobles?

Boosting is like a drug, once you've tried it you cant stop. Weather you go for turbos (hearing that bov every time you mash a gear :biggrin: ) or the supercharger you will not regret it. Ferrari's will always be a ferrari, but man IMO you will regret at least not tracking down someone with a boosted nsx and seeing what its like.

i am sure people who changed their final gearing can attest that the car's 'feeling' has been radically altered.

I had short gears and 4.55 and I sure wouldn't call it "radically altered". It was better on the 1-2 shift, but not much better in anything else and far worse on the highway at 80 MPH.

I would probably go with a turbocharged NSX, if you don't plan on modding the 360 to get the same kick in the pants you expect now. Plus a lot of people will shy away from buying a highly modded F car if you do decide to sell it later. There is or was a turbocharged 360 out there for sale, but no one is touching it.

I would definitely go for a 360 to add to with the NSX.

Last edited:
"I had short gears and 4.55 and I sure wouldn't call it "radically altered". It was better on the 1-2 shift, but not much better in anything else and far worse on the highway at 80 MPH"

comparing to a turbo car- of course, no discussion. on a 5-spd short gears And the 4.55 is a bit further than i would have gone (a 6-spd and 4.23-4.44 is a better match as you know) but i don't expect it to be a drag car. then again, i don't consider 600hp+ nsx 'streetable' in the canyons so it defies what I am looking for anyway- it is all a matter of opinion, what KIND of 'speed' you are looking for and what you consider 'better'.

from what the op said, i surmise he is missing that 'zippy' alive feeling which, i believe, gearing change might satisfy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree maybe you should just try the 4.44 OS GIKEN, short gears, lighter flywheel and might as well change to a better clutch while you have it apart....even with a SC you will notice a difference.

I think the answer is fairly simple.
Do you want/plan on driving this care more than a few thousand miles per year?

If yes, get the NSX b/c the Ferrari's only hold their value if they're low mileage.. you know what.

If you want to drive it and have fun, get the NSX and get addicted. You'll have a lot more fun imo.

"I had short gears and 4.55 and I sure wouldn't call it "radically altered". It was better on the 1-2 shift, but not much better in anything else and far worse on the highway at 80 MPH"

comparing to a turbo car- of course, no discussion. on a 5-spd short gears And the 4.55 is a bit further than i would have gone (a 6-spd and 4.23-4.44 is a better match as you know) but i don't expect it to be a drag car. then again, i don't consider 600hp+ nsx 'streetable' in the canyons so it defies what I am looking for anyway- it is all a matter of opinion, what KIND of 'speed' you are looking for and what you consider 'better'.

from what the op said, i surmise he is missing that 'zippy' alive feeling which, i believe, gearing change might satisfy.

have you ever driven a 600 hp nsx?
or seen one? :)

i have no issues, except for the lack of power steering and having larger wheels and tires....the power isnt an issue

you coming saturday?

Guys,

I appreciate all the feedback 100%. It honestly is making my decision even harder though. I guess you know the NSX is a super car when the decision to upgrade to a 360 is so hard.

Steve

ill sell ya my car :biggrin:

way way way more car than a 360....hell more than a 430 :)

and its one the cover of a magazine

quite relevant!

Finally sumfink' I can relate to... :p

I recently acquired a '94 NSX coupe w/ a 6spd' transmission & O.S. Giken LSD / 4.44 final-drive / lightweight flywheel / RPS clutch. Basic bolt-ons inclusive of Comptech Sport headers & later I installed my most-beloved Taitec JGTC Parallel exhaust. No significant/intended weight-reduction to note (haven't removed the spare-tire/bracket, jack/air-comp'/tools, engine-cover, etc'). It's seriously, disgustingly quick & "zippy" relative to other NSX'es (NSX NA1 5spd' coupes, NSX-T NA2 6spd's, NA NSX Zanardi editions, etc'). . .

I've spent decent amount time behind the wheel of a 355 & even more w/ the 360 Modena. I can say w/o any hesitation that I am quicker than either of those cars. Of-course, I'm not bone-stock, but the Ferrari's weren't either (Tubi & Capristo exhausts, high-flow cats', modified exhaust-manifolds, etc'). I believe short of a Novitec setup on the 355/360, those cars won't give you (the O.P.) what you in essence want (especially after past Viper ownership). . .

Acquiring this NSX that I now have, has somewhat quenched my desire for a 360 (which I would've added alongside to my NSX, eventually). I think the only reason for a 360 for me now would be the styling/design & the prancin' horse Tifosi camaraderie (if they even matter, at this point). Admittedly, there really is a je ne sais quois quality or hallmark w/ Ferrari's. However, I *think* a V10 Gallardo is on the radar now for me, more-so in the distant future though 9though the current NSX is a keeper for life, god-willing! :redface:). . .

I'm an NA guy to the end (so I say now... :D), but a CTSC high-boost setup w/ some EMS may satiate your yearning to be pulled back into your seat. Obviously, the voluminous low-end torque of a displacement monster like a Viper will be a different experience all together. Someone I know (;)) in 'towne w/ a '99 Zanardi NSX & CTSC low-boost w/o any EMS is quite frighteningly quick w/ a near-linear power-band, dare I say it feels quite quicker than 997 911 Turbo's that I've been in (who are no slouches themselves in terms of quickness/accel'). These new 911 Turbo's are noticeably quicker than the 355/360/430 lineage (can't offer any insight about the Scuderia as I have yet to even sit in one... :(). . .

My 2-pence:

- go the whole 9-yards w/ a CTSC (high-boost pulley, injectors, EMS, etc') + 6spd. transmission & lightweight flywheel / performance clutch / O.S. Giken LSD / NSX-R 4.23 or 4.06 final-drive

or

- LoveFab w/ an experienced local tuner (I can't comment beyond that, as I'm not well-versed w/ their setup & supporting mods')

... and when your comfortable enough in terms of finances/priorities/etc' for a 2nd 'exotic, add a 360 Modena!

Last edited:
ill sell ya my car :biggrin:

way way way more car than a 360....hell more than a 430 :)

and its one the cover of a magazine

You sure are desperate to sell that car. I read you saying the same thing over and over in many threads. I am curious as to why? PM me if you want.

Re: quite relevant!

My 2-pence:

- go the whole 9-yards w/ a CTSC (high-boost pulley, injectors, EMS, etc') + 6spd. transmission & lightweight flywheel / performance clutch / O.S. Giken LSD / NSX-R 4.23 or 4.06 final-drive

or

- LoveFab w/ an experienced local tuner (I can't comment beyond that, as I'm not well-versed w/ their setup & supporting mods')

Option one would cost more than $25K and still not give you the performance of option 2 for more than double the price. (just the turbo @ 400rwhp and nothing else)

Last edited:
You sure are desperate to sell that car. I read you saying the same thing over and over in many threads. I am curious as to why? PM me if you want.

im not deperate to sell it.. :) i havent even listed it anywhere....only the once in awhile blurb here on prime...

what I am deperate for is a new project!!!
I want build a turbo gallardo!!
need to sell the NSX to raise funds to pay for part of that project. plus I dont think my wife will LET ME buy a 7th damn car :confused:
If it I dont sell it, I will just get rid of the porsche and Dinan SC'ed X5...the prices of gallardos arent going to change much more so when it happens...its happens :)

wanna buy it :)

im not deperate to sell it.. :) i havent even listed it anywhere....only the once in awhile blurb here on prime...

what I am deperate for is a new project!!!
I want build a turbo gallardo!!
need to sell the NSX to raise funds to pay for part of that project. plus I dont think my wife will LET ME buy a 7th damn car :confused:
If it I dont sell it, I will just get rid of the porsche and Dinan SC'ed X5...the prices of gallardos arent going to change much more so when it happens...its happens :)

wanna buy it :)

I am so jealous. :) Get the Lambo.:biggrin:

Re: quite relevant!

Option one would cost more than $25K and still not give you the performance of option 2 for more than double the price. (just the turbo @ 400rwhp and nothing else)
Somethings go beyond dollar-to-dollar comparo's (ie. carb/emissions compliance, local tuner availability, driving characteristics, long-term reliability/dependability, etc').

As aforementioned, I'm not familiar w/ what all is needed in addition to the Lovefab setup. FWIRC, it's close to ~$20k when it's all said and done for a '91-94 NSX application (if NSX is transported, installation/tuning/etc'), as the kit alone is $14.5k as-per a vendor's web-site. I believe this also doesn't including any notable engine-build). Budgeting ~$3k/installed for a performance clutch is a given (I reckon inclusive of that ~$20k figure above). Again, just what I've read/seen/heard. . .

Barely-used auto-rotor CTSC w/ smaller high-boost pulley, larger blue-printed injectors, actual stand-alone engine management, and whatever else for a turn-key install can be acquired for ~$8k or less (I'd know, I was offered one locally within the last year). Add $2.5k to get all that stuff brand-new, if so desired. A brand-new 6spd' transmission, O.S. Giken LSD w/ 4.23/4.06 final-drive & RPS clutch w/ lightweight-flywheel is ~$10k/installed. The used 5spd' transmission & clutch/flywheel can be sold for ~$2.5k. Net cost would be $15.5k, not including SC-install/tuning. . .

That's how I came up w/ both setups being comparable as-per the aforementioned price-points. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks, as there's more than one way to skin a cat - proverbially speakin'. . .

Last edited:
Mark, get the Underground racing kit for the Lambo. Frank

no way...its nice nad all, but i can build that easy....for much less than the
60K they want....

plus i think i wanna try a high comprssion version first :)

it will happen...have to sell some stuff first.....

Back