Turbo the NSX or trade it for a Ferrari 360?

Guys,

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to get the 360. I was going to put the Angus kit on my NSX but couldn't get the 360 out of my head.

I've been wrangling with the decision since the day I started this thread and gave in to the dark horse earlier today.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted. This community is as great, if not greater, than the Fchat community.

I've enjoyed lurking. Who knows, maybe I'll buy another NSX later (this time with a turbo already installed).

Steve

You'll be back in an NSX after the 360 has to go for a major service.:smile:

Bryan

A 400whp+ NSX is faster than one might expect. Remember a stock NSX goes 170mph+ with 240whp (roughly 60% of a decent FI setup). I have never ridden in a turbo car but with the sc it hits 160mph effortlessly. The car is fairly light and very aerodynamic.

Here is my two cents.

You will be dissapointed with a 360 compared to any turbo NSX. My friend has a 360 spyder Ferrari and my Bimmer will kill it. The key thing for me is it has no torque whatsoever. It might feel good on a race track by if you want a kick in the ass(or seat) feeling that car won't do it for you. A turbo NSX will go a long way. Hell, I think you will appreciate my 335i that is tuned compared to a 360 Ferrari. I am no joke telling you that. Ask Billy and see what he says. What do say Stunt Driver?

EDIT: Damn, I just read he already bought that damn car. That was a huge mistake. He will be sorely dissapointed with that decision. That car has no torque and thus no kick the butt feeling.

Last edited:
Here is my two cents.

You will be dissapointed with a 360 compared to any turbo NSX. My friend has a 360 spyder Ferrari and my Bimmer will kill it. The key thing for me is it has no torque whatsoever. It might feel good on a race track by if you want a kick in the ass(or seat) feeling that car won't do it for you. A turbo NSX will go a long way. Hell, I think you will appreciate my 335i that is tuned compared to a 360 Ferrari. I am no joke telling you that. Ask Billy and see what he says. What do say Stunt Driver?

EDIT: Damn, I just read he already bought that damn car. That was a huge mistake. He will be sorely dissapointed with that decision. That car has no torque and thus no kick the butt feeling.
If I had the money to afford the routine timing belt replacement cost, I would get one...

To barely be able to afford the car and not understand it's operating costs (let alone, not being able to afford the routine maintenance costs) would be foolish.

Sure a 335i with a chip can be faster. I tracked a E92 M3 the other day at Willow springs with a chip, intake and exhaust and it made over 500bhp.

Top speed on front straight at Big Willow:
Tuned E92 M3: 146mph
F430: 141mph

But the Ferrari is a Ferrari and is a beautiful, great handling, awesome car.

If he has the money, it's not a mistake. Tastes/preferences (power vs. image prestige, handling, and 'mystique') - dosn't matter. But people are all to eager to have a never ending argument over it.

A major on a 360 is around $3500. A major on a 355 is around 7K. This assumes everything is in working order. The bill goes up if they find things that are wrong (like leaky headers).

Majors are cheaper on the 360 because you don't have to drop the engine to get to the timing belt.

My sale is pending a PPI so we'll see how it goes.

As for finances, getting into the 360 and maintaining it isn't an issue. I am an ex 355 owner.

Last edited:
A major on a 360 is around $3500. A major on a 355 is around 7K. This assumes everything is in working order. The bill goes up if they find things that are wrong (like leaky headers).

Majors are cheaper on the 360 because you don't have to drop the engine to get to the timing belt.

My sale is pending a PPI so we'll see how it goes.

As for finances, getting into the 360 and maintaining it isn't an issue. I am an ex 355 owner.
Really? A few different F-shops and smaller shops all have said that 360's need to drop the motor to do the timing belt... I think they said it was easier to drop the 360's motor than the 355 since the whole rear of the car comes off.

...Just get an F430 with a timing chain!

I really enjoy the 360 and 430 but am still waiting to get behind the wheel of a 355 -which IMO sounds the best.

Here is my two cents.

So you are saying that you would turn down a Ferrari 360 if someone wanted to trade one for your BWW 335? If he wanted a 335, he could probably buy 3. There is a lot more to a car than going fast. A 335 is a nice car, but it is nothing special, it doesn't make you feel special while driving it and nobody will notice it on the street. It is just another 3 series.

Before you say anything back, I don't think my vette is special either, but I wouldn't trade it for a 335.

Telling someone they have made a huge mistake buying a Ferrari 360 is really not your place.

Last edited:
The sound of the 355 is pure bliss -- especially with a tubi and in a tunnel.

Behind the seats of the 360 is an access panel. You can replace the timing belt without dropping the engine. There are pics of this being done on Fchat.

Steve

The Turbo NSX would smoke bone stock 360 Modena.
This is only my guess, but well tuned Turbo NSX would probably smoke the F50 or Enzo as well.

but if you get a 360 Modena...well you know, it is a FERRARI!!!

The Turbo NSX would smoke bone stock 360 Modena.
This is only my guess, but well tuned Turbo NSX would probably smoke the F50 or Enzo as well.

but if you get a 360 Modena...well you know, it is a FERRARI!!!
Their have been a handful of cars here on Prime that have a lowe 1/4 time and higher trap speed than an Enzo.

-Acceleration isn't the most important aspect for everyone... :)

Congratulations RECOIL! I hope the purchase goes through and you enjoy your 360 like I'm sure you enjoyed your 355 :cool:

Not everything is about straight-line acceleration. Otherwise we would all be in Mustangs or F-bodies.

Some people are just that dense or jealous :rolleyes:

Dave

For the past couple years I've said that if I could drive any car and not care about the cost it'd be the F430 (of course I've never actually driven one so who knows if that is actually true).

Since you're in a position to get the 360 I don't see any good reason not to. You've already owned another Ferrari and know what you're getting yourself into. Don't listen to the haters. :tongue:

Just keep the NSX and get a 360 also. The 360 is not going to solve your cravings for serious horsepower. In many ways the NSX is more fun to drive. The only thing you can't beat is the "wow" factor of the 360 , and sound with high flow cats and tubi exhaust. I have them both, and I enjoy them both.

Last edited:
here are my 2 cents..

obviously both cars are symbols of status..in terms of reliability both cars are great. the same cannot be said about routine maintenance. The nsx has far less maintenance and when it needs to be done you wont have to pull out a second mortgage on the house to do it.

In my opinion, if I were to purchase a 360, I would put a tubi exhaust and a nice set of wheels and just drive the fucker around. As for the nsx, i woudl feel alot safer modifying a Honda than a ferrari.

If you have become a little bored of the speed of the nsx, call chris as SOS and have him setup a transport to pick it up and install the new SOS S/C kit on the car with a hi-boost pulley and you will have a brand new car that will also walk the ferrari like it was a dog on a leash. I live in north phoenix/north scottsdale and I see a modena at every stoplight.

I also think that most nsx owners arent douche bags, ferrari owners kinda are... if you do end up getting the ferrari, make sure to start plucking your eyebrows, get a nice GOLD pair of prada sunglasses, a pair of seven jeans that look like they belong on your wife, and a pair of leather boots to wear with the jeans that come to a very sharp point to the end....

I know that i just stereotyped the typical ferrari owner, maybe not in any other state, but i can assure you that if youve spent anytime in scottsdale you will know that i just nailed that on the head!!

OH, i almost forgot, you would also have to frost the tips of your hair and having a fauxhawk hairstyle

ULTIMATELY, the modena is still a ferrari and an amazing car..for myself, it would be a VERY hard decision to keep the nsx over a ferrari but the main concerns for me would be

1. every day driveability compared to the nsx

2. routine and preventative maintenance compared to the nsx

3. cost of performance modifications and personalization compared to the nsx

4. cost of insuring either car... i have a 1991 nsx with 58k miles and only pay 91 dollars a month to insure.. I would hate to see what it would cost me to insure the modena!!!

5. and lastly, cost of ownership.. if the car is going to be driven daily, i would guarantee that the modena would depreciate ten fold quicker than any year nsx.

Last edited:
On the Race track I can keep up with a 360 without any trouble.
I Usually go around them.

Yep, I too experienced passing every FCar last time we were at Infineon. I rode in Steve's turbo NSX, and let me say those pretty 360s actually got out of our line in fear of getting dinged up! Truly priceless...

Also, if you have the money to boost an NSX, then there's no reason why you cannot afford a $3K maintenace bill for a 360. Power isn't always everything...my ex-996TT had over 500lb torque and throws you back each time, but its the NSX that I prefer to drive/track.

BTW, once the 360s fall into the $80Ks then I might have to taste the forbidden fruit for myself (but will always have the NSX).

Last edited:
if you do end up getting the ferrari, make sure to start plucking your eyebrows, get a nice GOLD pair of prada sunglasses, a pair of seven jeans that look like they belong on your wife, and a pair of leather boots to wear with the jeans that come to a very sharp point to the end....

OH, i almost forgot, you would also have to frost the tips of your hair and having a fauxhawk hairstyle

Prada has men's boots and wallets now too, to match the glasses.

Just throwing that out there...

A co-worker told me about it.....

ULTIMATELY, the modena is still a ferrari and an amazing car..for myself, it would be a VERY hard decision to keep the nsx over a ferrari

If you are really having a hard time springing for a stand-alone ECU and dyno time in an NSX as you said on this thread, then I would have thought that this should be the easiest decision you've ever made. :wink: :smile:

The bottom line is forget all the BS on the forums. Everything else being equal, even as a fair weather weekend driver- an NSX and 360 are not even in the same realm of reality/dimension of ownership cost. The usage and overall owner behaviors I often observe are simply a consequence to this raw unfettering reality.

The number one mistake consumers make:

Buying a car or house that is one or more steps more than their budgets can really support. For a lot of people, the top never will seem like the top until they hit their heads and go ouch!!!

Yep, I too experienced passing every FCar last time we were at Infineon. I rode in Steve's turbo NSX, and let me say those pretty 360s actually got out of our line in fear of getting dinged up! Truly priceless...

+1

Except I just needed a mini-cooper.

You are correct about my ecu issues, let me clarify, IF I had enough money to purchase either the modena or the nsx I would purchase the nsx it would be a tough choice but I would still get the nsx because of the typical Modena owner. As for him previously owning a 355, I hardly see any on the street to begin with.

Prada has men's boots and wallets now too, to match the glasses.

Just throwing that out there...

A co-worker told me about it.....

If you are really having a hard time springing for a stand-alone ECU and dyno time in an NSX as you said on this thread, then I would have thought that this should be the easiest decision you've ever made. :wink: :smile:

The bottom line is forget all the BS on the forums. Everything else being equal, even as a fair weather weekend driver- an NSX and 360 are not even in the same realm of reality/dimension of ownership cost. The usage and overall owner behaviors I often observe are simply a consequence to this raw unfettering reality.

The number one mistake consumers make:

Buying a car or house that is one or more steps more than their budgets can really support. For a lot of people, the top never will seem like the top until they hit their heads and go ouch!!!

+1

Except I just needed a mini-cooper.

I don't own a NSX nor a 360 but I've been in both and from what you are asking. It comes down to this.

Do you care about the way people look at you? Or is the car just about you?

When I was in my friend's NSX people would look at us but that was it. When I drove in my other friend's 360 we were instant celebrities! Went to dinner and when I got out of that 360 all the girls were checking us out. Where as in the NSX I wouldn't get that.

So do you want fame or pleasure of torque? If fame get the 360, If torque get twin turbo NSX.

I know a bunch of you guys are power addicts :biggrin: but honestly I don't get this thing about the F360 not having torque. It has *plenty* of torque for me and has *plenty* of power on the street, more than I can use without getting into a lot of trouble. If you can afford the 360 (and maintenance) without it killing you, then no doubt you made the right choice IMHO.

Personally I would take a Gallardo over the 360....or turbo NSX for that matter. A used Gallardo is priced about the same as a 360 but with much more to offer in my opinion (AWD, more power, etc.)

The 355 owner wants a 360 who wants a 430 who will be BLOWN AWAY by the next mid-V8. A little bird told me. :D

The NSX will remain timeless. Much like a 246 Dino. Watch.

But the correct awesomeness answer is 996GT2 :eek:
Another Icon to be.

Also IMO Ferrari finally caught up with the technology presented with the NSX in its 360 design.
8 years later.

Last edited:
Back