Turbo the NSX or trade it for a Ferrari 360?

Ive owned a 370 rwhp 2004 na vette..

A 450 rwhp 1999 na viper

a 480 rwhp 2003 na viper

and currently have a 310 rwhp supercharged nsx

The nsx can do a lot with VERY little

at 2995 pounds for my nsx and 4.06 rear gears

vs.......

3310 pounds for my C5 and 2.73 rear gears ( auto )

3380 pounds for my 99 Viper and 3.07 rear gears

3390 pounds for my 2003 Viper and 3.07 rear gears

You'd be surprised how competitive a lil 5 psi of boost 1991 nsx can be

My nsx trapped 113 mph at only 310 rwhp

My 2004 vette trapped 112 mph at 378 rwhp

my 1999 Viper trapped 116 mph at 410 rwhp and 120 mph at 450 rwhp

my 2003 viper trapped 122 mph at 460 rwhp and 124 mph at 480 mph

Now my nsx is a lil faster than my head and cammed vette was and just a lil shy of what my stock 410 rwhp Viper did..With only 310 rwhp...

Im going to 8 psi and an aem next month...Im expecting 380 rwhp and for the car to trapp in the 117-120 mph range...

What your talking about doing is completely differant..A turbo will give you a minimum of 450 rwhp and trapp in the 125 plus mph range....That will be a seriously fast car...

But head this warning.....I could have kept my 2004 vette and dumped more money and ect. and had a 125 plus mph trapping car by now....

BUT A 50K VETTE WILL NEVER COMPARE TO MY 80-90K VIPERS AND NSX'S I HAVE OWNED NO MATTER HOW FAST THE VETTE IS...IT WILL ALWAYS JUST BE A VETTE..WHILE THE VIPERS AND NSX'S WILL ALWAYS BE VIPERS AND NSX'S...

WELL NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU DUMP INTO A 90 K NSX IT WILL ALWAYS BE A 90 K NSX..I DONT CARE IF IT'S 1000 HP...IT WILL NEVER BE AT THE SAME LEVEL AS A 180 K F360...Your in your tt nsx and a f360 rolls up and you'll know what Im saying...

If you have the means then I say go for it....But if your only making like 10K a month or so take home and and think you can but it may be a financial burden then dont do it...Ive seen a lot of people trying to " fit in" to higher society and end up loosing it all....In that case I would keep the nsx

Just somthing to think about..By the way..When I say 90K or what ever Im talking about the origional price..Example is I only paid 35K for my 1991 nsx..but back in 1991 it was 60K..That sold for 100K....And to me it will always be a 60K car

have you ever driven a 600 hp nsx?
or seen one? :)

point taken, never driven one but unless a turbo has a 'freight train' quality to it with out a discernable hit that will send me sideways in the apex, i don't consider it 'streetable' for me. if i have to 'lug it' to keep it tamed then it is no fun. i've seen clips on prime and most turbo's have a definite surge in power- why you guys are doing it in the first place, but not corner-carving power delivery. it may sound stupid to horsepower addcts:smile: but sometimes traction is more fun than power.

ps. no not coming sat (going skiing:smile:)

point taken, never driven one but unless a turbo has a 'freight train' quality to it with out a discernable hit that will send me sideways in the apex, i don't consider it 'streetable' for me. if i have to 'lug it' to keep it tamed then it is no fun. i've seen clips on prime and most turbo's have a definite surge in power- why you guys are doing it in the first place, but not corner-carving power delivery. it may sound stupid to horsepower addcts:smile: but sometimes traction is more fun than power.

while traction is an issue, it is no more so than when it was stock...you still drive it the same.....above v-tech 90% of the time so you never see a surge of power...it would really only take a day or so to fugure out the power delivery...

blah on skiing!!

its funny cause just cause you have the power...doesnt mean you have to use it...carry speed thru the turn and there is no reason to worry about wheel spin...

it is fun to have the rear move out on you though.. :)

Last edited:
If you've got the bucks, get the 360. The exclusivity factor alone makes up for 1000 hp.

Re: quite relevant!

That's how I came up w/ both setups being comparable as-per the aforementioned price-points. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks, as there's more than one way to skin a cat - proverbially speakin'. . .

Here is what I was thinking on the turbo. Lovefab budget kit, 400rwhp $9,000. AEM $970. Say $1000 for tuning and $1500 to install. ~$12,500.

I guess it would need a new clutch too eventually. Add another $2,500 or so.

I think I am pretty close, but maybe not.

Last edited:
One last point before bed time.

You can always go back to another NSX if you get tired of the 360. It would be much harder to unload a turbo NSX and recover even half the money you put into it.

If you want the 360, I don't think that will change even if your NSX has more power.

So I say go for the 360 and if you don't like it in a year, you can always find another NSX.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FhHeKpRp6Ig&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FhHeKpRp6Ig&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

quite a range between vendor-direct & SOS...

I think I am pretty close, but maybe not.
Either your numbers or off, or mine are, as we both are poles apart!

Science of Speed has the '91-'94 LoveFab Turbo kit {~400hp} listed for $14.5k +shipping. The LoveFab budget kit is $9k on their own site... I wonder what's the diff' between the two for ~$5.5k (other than AEM EMS w/ the SOS kit, and ~$1k option w/ LoveFab from them directly)?!? That where my estimate came from, as I'm not well-versed enough in F.I. to differentiate significantly between the various LoveFab kits on their own site. . .

We'll go w/ your estimate of ~$2.5k for installation/tuning by a local tech'/shop.

Science of Speed has the RPS Stage 1 clutch (w/ lightweight-flywheel & release/pilot bearings, I believe) for $2k +shipping, and avg' clutch-installation labor-rate of $800... $2,800 +shipping & taxes

(other perf' clutches for more power cost more, and may not include bolts/bearings/flywheel/etc')

Just a basic breakdown...

$14,500 - LoveFab Turbo w/ AEM EMS included
$2,500 - installation/tuning
$2,800 - clutch

All apologies to the other members in getting somewhat off-topic, but I want numbers to make sense & be realistic and within perspective. And if I'm inaccurate/incorrect, I'll gladly acknowledge it. . .

Last edited:

If the car is setup with suspension mods to support the increased power it is not a issue. Examples are: OS Giken LSD, a high quality suspension setup etc. I talked to Shad and he was telling me that Kip can drive around 430 challenge cars without a problem and this was when it was a street car.

Hey Steve, guys,

To clear up some confusion, we now offer several different kits, and have had for almost a year now. See the website at www.LoveFab.com

The turbo kit prices range from $8995.00 to $13,995.00. Also, we have made the move to custom long-tube headers/manifolds built in-house specifically for Forced Induction. We were able to pick up quite a lot of power over an NA-designed header and because of this, all of our turbo systems now include these headers.

Installation AND tuning performed by us in our shop ranges from $2000-$3000.00 depending on the kit and options purchased. We are also an RPS dealer and when you purchase an RPS clutch through us, we will install it for $200.00; this is installation ONLY, and a limited time offer.

Also, we are offering free Enclosed Transport within a 500 mile radius, or 2000 mile round trip. Excess mileage will be billed at $.50/mile. We'll be back and forth along the Missisippi for the next month so if you're interested in an install, please contact us for shipping quotes! If you are able to split trips with someone in your relative area, you may be able to have your car shipped to/from Oklahoma for $350.00. This is just an example of a recent customer's shipping fee.

Let me know if any of you have any questions.

-Cody

I have supercharged nsx. I have also done other mods.
On the Race track I can keep up with a 360 without any trouble.
I Usually go around them.

I am a driving instructor. I have been in almost everything on track.
There are few car that can out perform a well prepared NSX if driven well.

I have an after market exhaust & headers. Any tunnel or such I always make sure to roll down my windows. It sounds wonderful.

Later,
Don

If the car is setup with suspension mods to support the increased power it is not a issue. Examples are: OS Giken LSD, a high quality suspension setup etc. I talked to Shad and he was telling me that Kip can drive around 430 challenge cars without a problem and this was when it was a street car.

I believe it.
Shad has worked on my car. If shad is tuning your car you are in good hands!

Noble no longer available in the US. The US car is called a Rossion and has been restyled with some changes to the interior to make it more ergonomic. Same chassis and setup as the Noble but the US cars have significantly more HP. A well tuned US Noble M3GTO has close to 450 hp vs 350 hp for the UK versions.

In your case, go turbo unless you want the Ferrari look in which case you really need the 430, not the 360, even Ferrari owners will admit that the hp ratings of the 360 were a little aggressive.

I have a '91 CTSC hi-boost, etc. that dynoes at 382 whp, and with a few lightweight pieces is 2900 lbs. I get together with a few friends who are active in the local Ferrari club - 355's, 360's, 430's, etc. I can more or less stay even with the 430's and my can accelerate more quickly than the others. I have put some 25k miles on my setup without a hiccup. If I were to have to make the choice to only have one of these two vehicles, without question, it would be the NSX FI over the 360.

You bring up a good point.

My NSX has been very reliable. I installed my supercharger at 82k miles.
I now have 110k miles and more than 110 track days. This is on an original 3.0L motor.

I suspect you cant drive a 360 that much without a rebuild or two.

Later,
Don

600whp+ (700 crank+):
FX750SMtest.jpg
-335 BFGoodrich R-compound tires

500whp (600 crank) street car = more fun than you can possibly imagine:
CALSPEEDNSX.jpg
-275 Toyo R888 R-compound tires.

Keep in mind:

F430 - 420whp
360 Modena - 340whp
Porsche GT3 - 380whp
C6 Z06 - 460whp
Porsche 997 Turbo - 400whp

A 400whp NSX is an extremely fast car. 400-450whp with a small turbo spools very quickly and makes the car feel like it has a big displacement V8 in it. With proper turbo sizing you can have 500whp+ no problem, but they do have a 'surge' of power like any car will have at thos power levels. If you have the tire to contain it (R-compounds on the street) it's not as much of an issue, but if you're cheaping out on street tires, that kind of power level is asking for trouble.

Turbo technology has come a long way since the infamous days of the widow-making Porsche Turbo's, but when you are making that kind of power (in any car) you have to ask yourself if you can handle it, and not blame the turbo.

IMO a 400-450whp would be an extremely competitive car against all the examples I listed. If you have the car sorted out, 500whp would be at an advantage.

I love the sound of Ferraris. Sure 340whp from the 360 Modena won't kick you in the back of the head, but it's a Ferrari! Just pick something you will be happy with.

Another owner preference issue regarding owner demographics. If you like hanging out with a mostly younger crowd (now in most cases early twenties) with middle level income, and tending to spend more time modifing (in many cases themselves, fast & furious style) and driving their rides daily get the NSX. If you prefer an older, in most cases more financially well to do crowd, that drive there cars to the clubhouse once a month, and that cringe at the the idea of altering their $200k plus cars go wth the 360. To a degree the NSX belonged in the latter category until the bottm fell out of the used NSX price market. So, maybe that'll happen to the Farrari as well, but it's doubtful.

Forget the F.I., I just wanna lose 500 lbs'. . .

Keep in mind:

F430 - 420whp
360 Modena - 340whp
Porsche GT3 - 380whp
C6 Z06 - 460whp
Porsche 997 Turbo - 400whp
Did you calculate those those WHP numbers based on a presumptive across-the-board ~12.5% drive-train loss from the manufacturer's documented BHP numbers, or those are actual observed/consistent dyno-tested values? Just curious. . .

Man, the bone-stock NA1 5spd' (~240 WHP) & NA2 6spd' (~260 WHP) NSX'es are small potatoes... :D

Re: Forget the F.I., I just wanna lose 500 lbs'. . .

Ferraris will always attract more attention from younger kids, and will get you more 'eyes' than the NSX. It will attract more questions and attention than the NSX.

Did you calculate those those WHP numbers based on a presumptive across-the-board ~12.5% drive-train loss from the manufacturer's documented BHP numbers, or those are actual observed/consistent dyno-tested values? Just curious. . .

Man, the bone-stock NA1 5spd' (~240 WHP) & NA2 6spd' (~260 WHP) NSX'es are small potatoes... :D
From googling their dyno charts and having some on file.

you have to ask yourself if you can handle it, and not blame the turbo.

I asked myself and myself said that I can handle it. My wallet on the other hand said I can't. If Obama says that I will be rewarded for being irresponsible financially, then I am going to throw the wallet in the drawer to shut him up and take out a 2nd mortgage. :tongue:

To make the whp figures closer to "apples to apples" for purposes of making an acceleration and seat-of-the-pants fun factor, you need apply the respective vehicle weights, resulting in lbs/whp. The NSX will make up ground on all listed Ferraris by doing so.

To make the whp figures closer to "apples to apples" for purposes of making an acceleration and seat-of-the-pants fun factor, you need apply the respective vehicle weights, resulting in lbs/whp. The NSX will make up ground on all listed Ferraris by doing so.

I don't think anyone doubts the NSX trubo can easily keep up with/smoke a Ferrari 360. The question is will the turbo NSX put a larger smile no your face than a Ferrari 360. HP is great, but how often can you really use all that power on the street? For me, the experience of driving the Ferrari will outweigh the NSX with more power. My Corvette is faster than a 360, but I would trade it in a heartbeat.

Guys,

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to get the 360. I was going to put the Angus kit on my NSX but couldn't get the 360 out of my head.

I've been wrangling with the decision since the day I started this thread and gave in to the dark horse earlier today.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted. This community is as great, if not greater, than the Fchat community.

I've enjoyed lurking. Who knows, maybe I'll buy another NSX later (this time with a turbo already installed).

Steve

Guys,

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to get the 360. I was going to put the Angus kit on my NSX but couldn't get the 360 out of my head.

I've been wrangling with the decision since the day I started this thread and gave in to the dark horse earlier today.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted. This community is as great, if not greater, than the Fchat community.

I've enjoyed lurking. Who knows, maybe I'll buy another NSX later (this time with a turbo already installed).

Steve

Congrats. I think you made the right choice. You can always go back to the NSX. Post some pix of the Ferrari when you get it.

You are right about the community here though -- it is the best on the net IMO.

Back