• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top Gear USA

Who says that Paul Tracy is not on US Top Gear? Maybe he's the Stig.

OK. I have further evidence that this could be true: I noted in an earlier post that the U.S. version of Top Gear didn't seem to get many cars to test. There were only a couple that "The Stig" took out for serious lap times. I figure "The Stig" wrecked something really expensive in the first few weeks, and this is definitely a Tracy signature move. That's why the only thing he got to take around the track later in the season was trucks and tractors.

Is it still on the air? I tried to search for it on my Cox DVR's programming guide, but I could only find the original Top Gear UK show.

Reviving this thread to see if anyone is watching the show.

I really enjoy it. It's a lot of fun now that they just do challenges.

What's funny is I am watching it right now on DVD. 150mph challenge. Sweet.

Last edited:
I watch it but find it to be almost unwatchable which is unfortunate because I think the show could have a lot of potential. They need to get a person to take the lead in the show which is something the UK version does very well with Clarkson. I think Leno or Carolla would make great leads for the show. The show lacks the edge of the British version and I'm pretty sure that's because the American version is beholden to the advertisers. Say a bad thing about a Nissan and good luck getting any ads on the show from Nissan. Hate the new Chevy Volt and voice your opinion and you'd never get another commercial from GM. Everyone knows that it's the ads where the networks make their money. The trouble is that it's the edge of the British version that I like so much. I think Leno or Adam Carolla would bring some much needed fire to the show plus they are both huge car guys. Just my .02 cents.

I watch it, but it's not that good, at least compared to the bbc version. What I don't like is when they mod the cars like crazy and try to get you to believe that they did it themselves. Two of the guys on there probably don't even know where to put the washer fluid.

"The show lacks the edge of the British version and I'm pretty sure that's because the American version is beholden to the advertisers."

Bingo!
Also when Clarkson, Hammond and May act juvenile its actually funny, the US hosts pranks just seem...well juvenile.

I have stopped watching it. I just think the blatant attempt to copy the original fails. It's probably a decent show but I can't help to compare the two the this just feels stupid in comparison. I just watch the BBC one. This could have been a great car show, they really blew it by trying to be just like the British version. It's a copy. Copies are never as good as the original.

I have stopped watching it. I just think the blatant attempt to copy the original fails. It's probably a decent show but I can't help to compare the two the this just feels stupid in comparison. I just watch the BBC one. This could have been a great car show, they really blew it by trying to be just like the British version. It's a copy. Copies are never as good as the original.

It isn't a copy any more though. No stig. No reviews. No star in a small car. No lap times. Just fun challenges.

i honestly only watch the american version to see what really nice car they get to drive at the end of the episode. all the stupid challenges are a waste of time.

- - - Updated - - -

this may be a repost sorry if it is but i saw this last week from top gear korea.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6EsoWpTO2qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
The BBC version is great. Clackson, Hammond and May are very entertaining with the right amount of edge ("In typical Top Gear fashion we abandoned our friend and pressed on...")

I did enjoy the challenge with Rutledge having to drive with a helmet full of rats ("They're pooping!!).

I think their path to success will include better challenges and fewer stupid mods.

^Those were the good parts. lol.

These guys just don't have the personalities to be tv hosts.

but I'll keep watching it. ;-)

Are the Top Gear USA episodes currently airing on History Channel? I have not been able to find any on my DVR (which stores one week's worth of programming in its memory).

Anyway, found the following:

In the new episodes, Tanner, Adam and Rutledge will continue to embark on some of the most Epic journeys on the planet, exploring our own great nation while testing the limits of the world's most prestigious - and infamous - automobiles. The guys will hit the road and criss-cross the nation behind the wheels of some of the most iconic vehicles across the globe. They'll compete over who had the best college car on an Epic road trip through Mexico; tackle volcanoes and glaciers in America's toughest 4-wheel drives; reinvent the RV and Taxi; and build a car capable of handling the apocalypse. From Californian beaches to the ice bound sierras, two-million dollar super cars to 1500 dollar clunkers, Tanner, Adam and Rutledge will drive them all. They'll learn how to drive on frozen lakes, play football in cars and discover just how much punishment a vehicle can take before it gives up.
Read more about History Channel Revs Up for TOP GEAR's Return, 1/29 - BWWTVWorld by tv.broadwayworld.com

Back