• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top Gear USA

Yeah I'm still watching but the American version is lacking when you compare it to the BBC. The Alaska special was okay but it did not really do it for me. I read early on in this post that the BBC Top Gear was not all that good in the first season. I watched some of the first season on You Tube and, while it was not a polished and the crowds were not there, it was still very entertaining. I think America's TG needs a cast change if it's going to stick around.

They also do not seem to review any cars. It appears all they do on that show is do the challenges that the British version does without any reviews and top gear power lap times.

I am still watching it. It's not great but I like the cars for the most part. The British version is much better.

I've been watching and it's not as good as the UK version but I'm starting to like it. For me, the car reviews are cool but I really like the "adventures" more in both UK and US.

5d178464-988f-424d-9d9d-1a1b3c21a918.jpg

A better cast lineup would have been:

1. Tanner Foust - guy who can drive (clarkson)

2. Christopher Tytus - comedian and one of the most hardcore car enthusiasts around (see Rides Season 2 - Soccer Mom episode) - essentially Hammond

3. Travis Pastrana - not a James May replacement but would provide some great entertainment.

A better cast lineup would have been:

1. Tanner Foust - guy who can drive (clarkson)

2. Christopher Tytus - comedian and one of the most hardcore car enthusiasts around (see Rides Season 2 - Soccer Mom episode) - essentially Hammond

3. Travis Pastrana - not a James May replacement but would provide some great entertainment.

How about Tim Allen for #3?

They also do not seem to review any cars. It appears all they do on that show is do the challenges that the British version does without any reviews and top gear power lap times.

I'm thinking the producers are having a hard time getting their hands on press cars. And when they do, like in the case of the Boss 302, apparently not even He Who Would Be Stig is allowed to drive them on the their track.

I also found the last episode (Toughest Truck) pretty amusing. I am not a truck guy but there is just something about beating the hell out of three old pickups in the rough Alaska wilderness that looks like fun.

That was the final episode with new material. The season closer will be a 'best of'' (least-worst-of?) highlight show. Wonder if we will see another season.

Is it true that last night's season finale was just a highlight recap show? Must have been REALLY short!

I can't stand that Rutledge character. His lines are so scripted with a delay in speech cadence that drives me crazy. I can't tell if he is slow at reading or just slow!

The only guy I like is Tanner. The other two guys need to be replaced if they want the show to last another season.

I still like the show. I think it got better/funnier with more episodes. With more popularity, a bigger budget, more hosts (or part-time hosts) - it'll get a lot better.

Keep bashing it and it'll go away. Is that better than giving it a chance to get the resources to become a better show?

It's definitely getting better. I'd love to see them do more trucks though. Maybe some hot rodded turbo diesel 4x4, tow off, a mpg run......... something humorous but informative and goes beyond just 6" of ground clearance

I hate to say it but if they want to get a bigger audience and really make the show a USA version they will have to do more truck/offroad segments and possibly some nascar antics.I think our sportscar demographic is the minority of thier potential audience.

It's definitely getting better. I'd love to see them do more trucks though. Maybe some hot rodded turbo diesel 4x4, tow off, a mpg run......... something humorous but informative and goes beyond just 6" of ground clearance

Saying this show is getting better is like saying my herpes is going away (no, I do not have the herps)

This show is bad. Rutledge is a Local Atlanta car guy but you can tell, they are all trying WAY TOO HARD!!!

It is obvious you can not copy the UK version. It is the chemistry from May Clarkson and Hammond that MAKE the show. Rutledge, Foust and that Adam guy are all like water and oil. Adam couldnt care less about being on the air.

Either way it had much potential. I can admit the shows are progressively sucking less but I think they need to let it go.

BTW Rutledge came into one of our restaurants last week and he was rocking a Dodge Minivan. (2006-ish) Would Clarkson ever be found on a mini van? Never, He rocks a Ford GT!!!

I don't want to see it go... Tanner needs to stick around, Tytus sounds like an amazing addition and I love Tim Allen or Travis Pastrana

those combinations would be frickin awesome.. plus all of the names listed can drive well and all would be hilarious without being scripted.

love alaskan show, the panamera as well, and liked bits and peices of the others.. is it UK version no, but recast and alot more wheel time and meshing of personalities could yeild great results.

Saying this show is getting better is like saying my herpes is going away (no, I do not have the herps)

This show is bad. Rutledge is a Local Atlanta car guy but you can tell, they are all trying WAY TOO HARD!!!

It is obvious you can not copy the UK version. It is the chemistry from May Clarkson and Hammond that MAKE the show. Rutledge, Foust and that Adam guy are all like water and oil. Adam couldnt care less about being on the air.

Either way it had much potential. I can admit the shows are progressively sucking less but I think they need to let it go.

BTW Rutledge came into one of our restaurants last week and he was rocking a Dodge Minivan. (2006-ish) Would Clarkson ever be found on a mini van? Never, He rocks a Ford GT!!!

We call it "The Happys".

First thing first, it's Top Gear USA, not Top Gear UK. So obviously, they're not the same and probably never will be the same. If someone wanted a Top Gear UK sort of visual experience...they would watch Top Gear UK.

Car culture, UK and US are just worlds apart. Just like the trucks bits. Americans have a fascination, obsession, a love affair with the pick up truck. In the UK, big trucks or big vehicles just are not common for the every day person.

Different cast, different different viewers, different country, different culture = different show

And the comparison between Rutledge and Clarkson........ that's like apples to oranges. Now if Foust came in rocking a mini van.......

Last edited:
Now if Foust came in rocking a mini van.......

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-5068141794433258458&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

Oh well:

Top Gear USA, the American version of the popular British motoring show, must have been popular enough for HISTORY as Jalopnik just confirmed the network's picking up TGUSA for a second season with hosts Rutledge Wood, Adam Ferrara, and Tanner Foust.

Despite receiving mixed reviews, a statement from the network cites the 60 million (total) who tuned into the ten episodes of the first season and the youngest audience ever for a HISTORY show. Top Gear's UK host Jeremy Clarkson says he's pleased about the move.

"Top Gear is our baby so you can understand why Hammond, May and I were anxious about passing it on to the presenters of the US show. We needn't have worried because Top Gear is clearly in safe hands, even if they do insist on speaking in those stupid accents. Watching an episode from series 1 with Richard and James, we found ourselves in a genuinely heated debate about which of the presenters' cars was best. We were just three ordinary chaps watching a car show and loving it, which is exactly what Top Gear should be. Bring on series 2."

This proves what we guessed earlier, that Tanner Foust was leaving Formula Drift to tape the new show, which starts production in the spring with producers John Hesling and Russ McCarroll.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5757204/top-gear-usa-picked-up-for-a-second-season

How much is Clarkson making a year? How much is Rutledge in a new show's first season with a small budget and no prior fan base? Why invest in a show (History or sponsors) that is unsure of the popularity/results/return?

Top Gear UK is one of the most popular shows in all of europe. Hell, their magazine alone is larger than all the US car magazines, and probably all the main stream ones put together!

While its the same show with the same name, you really can't compare them. That's like comparing the popular and established American Idol to a new untested market: South-African Idol and expect it to be just as good.

They totally screwed up not using Paul Tracy. I just watched a show with Tanner and Paul and that show was pretty good IMO. Tracy is a funny guy as well he is also a car guy.

Battle of the Supercars.......... that rivalry is toooooo scripted. If they laid off the "canadian hate" or "4 foot nothing tall hate", it wouldn't be so corny. Want to just tell them to shut up and drive.

They totally screwed up not using Paul Tracy. I just watched a show with Tanner and Paul and that show was pretty good IMO. Tracy is a funny guy as well he is also a car guy.

Who says that Paul Tracy is not on US Top Gear? Maybe he's the Stig.

Back