• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Seats group buy: interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob is an athlete. He's just humble and doesn't speak about it. Bob can I let the secret out?

- - - Updated - - -

This... don't most offer seats in standard and large?

It depends on the seat and the company. Pole positions for example come in one size but recaro has other seats that are larger. Everyone is really high on the R seat, but I can tell you that won't fit a lot of people either. Bob is an example. If the seat gets too large, it won't fit the car. I'm going to take detailed measurements and keep researching. I will present my group buy to a company that is willing to give GB pricing on multiple sizes. Just like advan where we had different sizes and finishes but still at the discounted price. I'm not looking for some BS "discount" though. I'm going to take time, present facts, work on custom billet mounts designs, and bring something fantastic to the forum.

Last edited:
Dave, my point is whatever you choose, make sure it has been independently certified and tested by recognized benchmarks to withstand crash tests and not some marketing hype based on "Carbon Kevlar" or "Carbon Fiber" or FIA look alike ......

As for the rest, I concur with Bob's comments.

Hrant I'm only looking at FIA seats from reputable companies, most are $3000-5000, no replica or look alike off brands. That kind of thing people can do on their own.

What about taking the F1 seat shell and getting leatherseats.com to do a custom leather and memory foam wrap. Mate it with some quality brackets fixed for you lightweight freaks and sliders for the people that want the option. If we get enough interest we could keep the price down.

as Bob stated and i will reiterate.....sit in a nonadjustable race seat for a while before you mount one in your street car.The angle feels alot more upright then most people can imagine,and for any drive over 30 minutes will become annoying....PS my intention is not to pee on the hard work of our own groupbuy "crazy Edy" but ...as Dave will attest real world experience matters,and as cool as a race bucket is it aint no oem seat for comfort. If it was me and i had to have that racy look and feel ..I'd just custom alacantra the oem shell.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is to buy a decent track seat and swap it in when you go to the track. You will not find a seat that works for both street and track.

There is wisdom in this post.

Subscribed to a very interesting thread

I appreciate the feedback But there are cars that have seats that are relatively comfortable for the street or track. Take the GT3 seats for example. They are a good compromise. So are the factory R seats from what I've heard. With a seat so much depends on you and your body type. I sit very upright anyway, it's a more proper form for me. What seems more comfortable initially leaning back will get you a back ache quickly sometimes. I think a seat that is sized properly for your body type (as bob point out the R seat doesn't fit him) will be fairly comfortable. This is why I don't want to go with a one-size fits all anymore.

I think I'm willing to compromise a little in order to avoid having to swap seats. I don't daily drive my nsx. I already have 1000 pound springs and a pretty loud exhaust. I think I will be ok with a little less daily comfort for more support and safety.

Last edited:
no doubt you think through your mods,and do the research.......exceptions would be stickers esp on brake calipers...:tongue:

IMO, the seat should be so comfortable that you don't want to get out. If you aren't comfortable in the seat after 30 minutes, then it's definitely not the right seat to get. The stock seats are so comfortable though for offering a good amount of support, that they will be hard to beat.

I don't find the OEM seat all that supportive compared to racing seats. Especially the thighs. On high speed turns I am holding my body in place partially by holding on tight to the steering wheel. It is comfortable though.

Hi TURBO2GO,
As SIMPLE is usually best. Have your thought through the possibility of someone putting together a light weight manual seat bracket conversion for the OEM seats? Perhaps also incorporating the Titanium Dave style 5th strap point. It would not be difficult to have someone build up the side bolsters for increased thigh support and upholster in the slot required for the 5th strap. (I have already done this) I don't know how much weight you would save and still maintain the seats integrity but it certainly shouldn't lighten your wallet much.
Just a thought! Cheers, TYSAMA

It would not be difficult to have someone build up the side bolsters for increased thigh support and upholster in the slot required for the 5th strap. (I have already done this) I don't know how much weight you would save and still maintain the seats integrity but it certainly shouldn't lighten your wallet much.
Just a thought! Cheers, TYSAMA

I have definitely considered modification of my OEM seat, but this is a rare seat in a rare car, in a rare color (silverstone). I prefer to keep it OEM, set it aside, save any wear, and have something that is designed from the ground up as a seat that uses a harness, is lightweight, and is very safe. Since budget is not really an issue here, I think getting an all new seat is a good idea, nevemind that if you hate your racing seat, you still have an unmodified OEM seat you can go back to. I understand why you did what you did, but I really would like to save the OEM seat.

I completely understand where you are coming from TURBO2GO,
I suppose in my case and perhaps others? --- if someone came up with a mod for our seats that did away with all the heavy electrics and seat rails I would jump on it.
Good luck with your endeavor. (You do good things on this forum) TYSAMA.

You know what creates weight in the OEM seat is actually not the motors so much, it is the reclining mechanism and all the metal that is requires for it. There are large flat pieces of very thick steel that extend from the bottom shell into the top shell. Required, to be able to hold a very heavy person in place even when they forcefully lean back over 20 years without sort of "sagging" back by bending. This is a drawback of a recline mechanism. Not only does it add this kind of weight but it also becomes a safety thing because it does not offer the same protection to your spinal cord as a one-piece bucket. I prefer to get a bucket that is larger, wider, better padded, more comfortable, than a seat that reclines but is tighter. The reason some complain of the seat belt buckle digging into their hips on some racing seats is because the bucket is just too small. You can still get a lot of support without feeling like you are a sardine in a can.

Last edited:
I'd like to chime in.
I've had OEM seats, Recaro SPG's and Recaro PP and small seat time in NSX-R.

Turbo- I think we need a diagram/dimension of the seats OEM and popular aftermarket seats. The reason why I say this I made the mistake of thinking the PP was the same of the NSX-R recently. Didnt have an NSX-R seat to trial.

We recently completed the Australian NSX 2013 drive where people from all over Australia drove over 2000miles over a week and 1000 miles was over 2 days on the highway. I was in pain in the Pole Positions. I'm a 34/36 waist but it was the shoulders and padding that I suffered with. But the owner of an NSX-R who is 62 years old had no problems at all and didnt complain at all. He is similar size to me and I'm only 31. Than I got a chance to sit in his car and wow what a difference. I couldnt believe it. I think the padding is definitely different and its wider at the shoulders. I made the mistake of not measuring them.

My recaro PP is FIA version. People talk about the ABE version but the only version I can see in my brochure is that its around 1" wider than the FIA which explains why owners say they can fit the seatbelts like the NSX-R but it's not any wider up in the shoulders.
I want to swap out my seats to either NSX-R or DF seats.

Appreciate what you do for Prime and the community but would be good to see numbers.

I'm average build 220 pounds. With the SPG it was the width and shoulders that was an issue, PP is wider and sides are not as high but its the shoulders. So I honestly dont think its the width of the waist but the shoulders and padding that differentiate the NSX-R.

The pain after 30min is at the point of irritating and wanting to pull over.

Again thanks turbo for your GB's and contribution over the years.
Nico

Thanks Nico. You are confirming what I already knew. The pole position is really for small people and it's tight. It LOOKS like the type R seat but is far from it. And we have a number of pole position owners driving around without proper seatbelts. I have ruled that seat out completely.

I'd like to chime in.
I've had OEM seats, Recaro SPG's and Recaro PP and small seat time in NSX-R.

Turbo- I think we need a diagram/dimension of the seats OEM and popular aftermarket seats. The reason why I say this I made the mistake of thinking the PP was the same of the NSX-R recently. Didnt have an NSX-R seat to trial.

We recently completed the Australian NSX 2013 drive where people from all over Australia drove over 2000miles over a week and 1000 miles was over 2 days on the highway. I was in pain in the Pole Positions. I'm a 34/36 waist but it was the shoulders and padding that I suffered with. But the owner of an NSX-R who is 62 years old had no problems at all and didnt complain at all. He is similar size to me and I'm only 31. Than I got a chance to sit in his car and wow what a difference. I couldnt believe it. I think the padding is definitely different and its wider at the shoulders. I made the mistake of not measuring them.

My recaro PP is FIA version. People talk about the ABE version but the only version I can see in my brochure is that its around 1" wider than the FIA which explains why owners say they can fit the seatbelts like the NSX-R but it's not any wider up in the shoulders.
I want to swap out my seats to either NSX-R or DF seats.

Appreciate what you do for Prime and the community but would be good to see numbers.

I'm average build 220 pounds. With the SPG it was the width and shoulders that was an issue, PP is wider and sides are not as high but its the shoulders. So I honestly dont think its the width of the waist but the shoulders and padding that differentiate the NSX-R.

The pain after 30min is at the point of irritating and wanting to pull over.

Again thanks turbo for your GB's and contribution over the years.
Nico

6'0'' 190-200 33" waist here and my SPG's fit just like they were suppose to. Keep in mind, I've done many events where I'm driving 8-14 highway hours on these things just to get to the event. Surprisingly, zero back pain on the long trips... It's a shocker what good posture will do for you!

PP's and SPG XL's fit similar but I don't care to swim in a bucket seat, this defeats the purpose.

Shameless plug, I have one of my SPG's for sale, 5/11 FIA stamp, was the passenger seat so it saw zero use. So if there's anybody regionally close I'm sure we can work something out.

I live in Raleigh and am interested in the seat. Call me... I'm looking for a seat that fits. Phone 919-949-5406. Thanks
SeDan man

Interested in seeing where this may go: DF seats seem out of the question as part of a group buy, but still possible to buy on an individual basis; Recaro Pole Position ABEs seem to be more affordable, only if available in the US, seem to be the next best thing.

Right now I'm leaning a lot towards the status icon. The reason is that it is completely configurable. If you need more shoulder room, no problem. Need more hiproom? No problem. Like a particular color or a certain stitching? No problem. Prefer alcantara over leather? Sure thing... I think with this, I can do a group buy and have everyone's needs met. I still want a better designed bracket. Strong, light, low, quick-release. If anyone wants to help me with this, please feel free.

Here is a picture of just one custom configured seat in alcantara and yellow stitching:

d3464ae4ef16d8de260fedc0addf58ed_zps8358ed87.jpg

Looks good but those side bolsters are pretty hardcore for street use. Seems like a track only seat to me...

Can you fit the seat belts threw the holes for the 5 point? Seat looks nice! Any chance the SOS powered rail will fit these?

Has anyone purchased these seats (R1 Carbon Kevlar)? I never did. You can order them in different sizes to accommodate you. Note the information section in the pull down at the top of the page about safety concerns.

http://www.f1spec.com/r1ck.html

I can't help but hate on status a little bit just due to the name itself. Are those things SFI certified? just out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back