• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Seats group buy: interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an owner of the DF seats, here are my 2 cents.

The best thing to do is to buy a decent track seat and swap it in when you go to the track. You will not find a seat that works for both street and track. The DF seat comes close, but still isn't great. I ended up switching back to the stock seats.

The stock seats meet most of the criteria posted by T2G, apart from the head restraints. And you will be hard pressed to find better seats that aren't super expensive. Also, trying to save a few pounds out of the seat and rail is rather pointless. Now, the SOS rail that I use with the DF seats are reasonably light, but there are areas where maybe another pound could be shaved if it were designed specifically for the DF seats. However, the seats and especially the seat rails are the last place you should look to save weight. They are in the center of the vehicle and mounted low down (on the floor), so any performance benefits from the lost weight are negligible at best. You are far better off losing the weight yourself, since your body is in a higher position than the seats, let alone the rails. In fact, only those with less than 10% body fat should even consider looking for lighter seats. And once you've lost those excess pounds, you should then be able to sit in the DF seats, which are pretty narrow. Unfortunately, you will then have to deal with the seatbelt receiver digging into your hips, unless you are really skinny. The NSX-R seatbelt receiver may help in that situation, and I might try to order a pair to see if they make the seats more tolerable. However, ingress and egress is still more difficult than the stock seats, and the NSX is bad enough as it is in getting in and out of the vehicle.

Olyar, I appreciate the feedback. I know the weight of the seats is center and somewhat low... But each seat and rail is 42+ pounds. The downforce carbon NSX seat is around 9. I believe the factory NSX-R recaro seat is under 7. At 84 pounds for two seats when the new seats are under 20, there is a lot of weight to save. I've talked about this on many threads in the past. A bracket that is very light weight would save a lot of weight. I believe there is a solid 50 pounds of weight to be saved, and no matter where that is on the car, that's a significant number. Yes on a track it's all about the driver, but on acceleration or braking, and to a lesser amount handling (since its centered), it will have an affect. The engine and brakes don't care where the weight is.

Also part of the appeal for many is the looks, not necessarily how it performs on the track, or the ultimate ease in ingress and egress.

I don't mean in any way to discount your valuable input, I am just adding another perspective. You probably don't care that much about the look but I can tell you it's a big factor for many including my own poser self. LOL

But each seat and rail is 42+ pounds. The downforce carbon NSX seat is around 9. I believe the factory NSX-R recaro seat is under 7. At 84 pounds for two seats when the new seats are under 20, there is a lot of weight to save. I've talked about this on many threads in the past. A bracket that is very light weight would save a lot of weight. I believe there is a solid 50 pounds of weight to be saved, and no matter where that is on the car, that's a significant number.

in a bm video, it claims that 17.4 KG weight saving compared to oem seats. i believe oem nsx-r seat is around 9 lbs, too.

I don't want to clutter this thread up with df suggestions as Dave the op is leaning toward something else... If SOS is interested starting a group buy on the df seats, we can make a separate thread to gauge interest pending price point..

This was already done:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-seats/page2?p=1679718&viewfull=1#post1679718

Please read the reply #27 by sourcensx. You are asking SOS to do the same thing that sourcensx just tried with downforce.

If you want to do it again, you are certainly welcome to, it is not going to affect what I do.

- - - Updated - - -

in a bm video, it claims that 17.4 KG weight saving compared to oem seats. i believe oem nsx-r seat is around 9 lbs, too.

You could be right, but I have seen a picture of the actual recaro stamp on the seat and it indicated something ridiculously light. Either way, 17.4KG is 38 pounds. That's a lot of weight, and I believe you can go lighter still.

I want a super light mount at least on the passenger side if possible. You don't need a full rail. How often do you move the passenger seat? If you need to service behind the seat, be it the factory electronics or your car amp, it's going to be once in a blue moon. And simply removing the seat via 4 bolts or an even quicker disconnect is certainly viable.

I'm interested too. Have always loved the DF seats so those would be my number one choice if the cost were to be reduced through reducing production labor while maintaining quality. I wouldn't be opposed to a similar recaro product though if similarly comfortable and significantly cheaper. I'll keep following this- thanks as usual Dave.

I'm debating whether to get a bucket or reclineable seat. I know the argument is in an NSX you don't need to recline but I think for comfort it would be nice to have that adjustment.

I've always been a fan of Status and Bride seats.

I'm debating whether to get a bucket or reclineable seat. I know the argument is in an NSX you don't need to recline but I think for comfort it would be nice to have that adjustment.

I've always been a fan of Status and Bride seats.

I am as well, agree with you there, but I also feel a reclining mechanism is unnecessary. Good buckets are set up at almost a perfect driving angle. They are stronger and safer, lighter, and fit better. If comfort is your main goal, the OEM seat does a great job of that. Why change it.

Last edited:
But each seat and rail is 42+ pounds. The downforce carbon NSX seat is around 9. I believe the factory NSX-R recaro seat is under 7. At 84 pounds for two seats when the new seats are under 20, there is a lot of weight to save. I've talked about this on many threads in the past. A bracket that is very light weight would save a lot of weight. I believe there is a solid 50 pounds of weight to be saved, and no matter where that is on the car, that's a significant number.

The numbers you are comparing are a bit misleading. The OEM seat and rail is 41 pounds each, totaling 82 pounds.

The DF NSX-R seat is 9.5 pounds, and the SOS rail is 14 pounds, 23.5 pounds each. Your total weight savings is 35 pounds.

Edit: FWIW, I have a single F1 Spec seat with Buddy Club rails. I purchased this setup as a "trial" to how it would feel getting into and out of a bucket seat regularly. Good for the track, not so much for daily use. With that said, I might consider putting the OEM one back in and "swapping" the seat for that oddball track day.

Last edited:
The numbers you are comparing are a bit misleading. The OEM seat and rail is 41 pounds each, totaling 82 pounds.

The DF NSX-R seat is 9.5 pounds, and the SOS rail is 14 pounds, 23.5 pounds each. Your total weight savings is 35 pounds.

Edit: FWIW, I have a single F1 Spec seat with Buddy Club rails. I purchased this setup as a "trial" to how it would feel getting into and out of a bucket seat regularly. Good for the track, not so much for daily use. With that said, I might consider putting the OEM one back in and "swapping" the seat for that oddball track day.

Thanks for yoir input. Much apprecaited. I wasn't miscalculating, I allowed some weight for seat mounts. Just not 14 per. That's my point. Lighter mounts can be made for sure, they just won't be a full sliding rail. And while that MAY be more convenient for the driver, it isn't for the passenger. I am not happy with any of the currently available mounts. I spoke about this in detail in past threads. No one really wanted to make something different. So I am going to try to tackle something myself. The issue is that the standard way that seats mount, you need to move them to tighten the bolts. But I have thought of a design where the seat can go in, then be tightened into the mount without needing to move it back and forth.

Anyway I am guesstimating my mount design to be around 2-3 pounds. That makes the seat and mount 12 pounds, total of 24. That's 58 pounds less than OEM. that's why I said 50 is achievable.

Guys, Think about this: If you just did this, removed the engine cover, the spare, swapped the factory exhaust, and went with just a slightly lighter battery, none of which have any resl impact on the streetability and daily use of the car, you've removed 150-160 pounds out of your car, or basically a passenger.

I am not putting weight as the priority on this GB, but I want to see what can be done if it can be done. I'm really not interested in doing a generic group buy that's just the same as what's always available anyway. If that's what it turns out to be, I won't even do it.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear a review too. I considered them when I upgraded my seats last year, but I ended up going SOS. I've been tempted to try one tho. How often do you adjust your seat? Should be one and done.

Last edited:
Dave, not to rain on your parade here but let me bring an issue that I hope you investigate.

Seat safety is among the most important factors during an accident not to mention at a track. In your first post you correctly mention "3) safe structure" but the key is how can you verify or validate this? Are you seeking manufacturer's assurances or some industry/national standards?

In a discussion with one of Acura's engineer, I was mentioning why Acura couldn't develop a cargo cover for the MDX that when rolled back (folded) it could fit in the cargo or the storage under the cargo. His simple answer was anytime a design that changed or upgraded something it had to be "crash tested" to assure it was safe with no unintended consequences.

IMHO, as much as reducing weight makes sense, the OEM seat is still one of the best after the NSX-R seat. At about $10K for a pair of NSX-R seats, it is out of most owner's budget. Perhaps skinning the OEM seat to its metal shell and then rebuilding it without the motor to your specs (detachable/welded?) for lateral head support is the way to go.

Last edited:
No, I'm not saying throw GT2 seats in our cars. However, these seats fulfill a lot of the requirements (minus #7) on post #1. Food for thought.

GT2SEATNEW_zps5a07649d.jpg

Last edited:
Hrant I've mentioned safety as a primary concern. I believe the OEM seat was designed with comfort and ease of entry and exit as a main factor. While safety was a concern, it just needed to be safe enough. The aluminum shell is extremely thin. Definitely less strong than a carbon or carbon Kevlar seat. The reclining mechanisms also are prone to breaking, and now you have a seat broken into two pieces with your torso in a seatbelt holding it together. Head injuries are much more likely as well without head protection and if on a track without a harness and the OEM seat is just not all that proper for a harness.

What makes you think that an FIA bucket seat with a tighter fit, enhanced thigh and shoulder restraint, and stronger materials that is one piece reinforced Kevlar would offer LESS protection than the OEM seat? Or one that is mounted not on a rail but a solid piece of billet aluminum? I've seen some current aftermarket mounts in crashes. They bend. I don't want something that bends and deforms under stress.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I'm not saying throw GT2 seats in our cars. However, these seats fulfill a lot of the requirements (minus #7) on post #1. Food for thought.

GT2SEATNEW_zps5a07649d.jpg

These are like $9000. Right? I think I can get something similar in shape and function without it being OEM Porsche for a lot less money. I know why you posted though... It is the type of seat I'm looking for. I'm going to travel over the next week or two and try a bunch of seats to get a feel for them.

Last edited:
No matter what, unfortunately in all likelihood none of these seats would be a viable option for "larger" drivers. I drove a real NSX-R on the Suzuka Circuit in Japan during Fiesta 2010. I wasn't going to pass up the chance to drive one but I could never deal with sitting in an OEM NSX-R seat on a regular basis. They certainly weren't designed for "american wide bodies". I realize I could stand to lose a few pounds, but at 6'1" and 225 pounds I would not have thought that I could not fit into those OEM seats. It seems most of these seats are designed for those with less than a 34" waist so unless I can go back to my college days I will need to stick with our OEMs.

Bob so you are saying at a 34" waist you were uncomfortable in a factory R seat? Was it just the waist or shoulder area as well?

Bob so you are saying at a 34" waist you were uncomfortable in a factory R seat? Was it just the waist or shoulder area as well?

I have a 36" waist and I could not fit. After having tried other options such as recaro and sparco, my experience has been that unless you have no larger than a 34" waist you just won't fit. Upper portion was tight but not uncomfortable (I have a 44" inch chest) so it was more of an issue of not fitting the butt into the seat.

I think clearly what we do a GB on will need to be available in multiple sizes and probably multiple finish options.

Now someone tell me the technical advantages of Carbon Kevlar and Carbon Fiber over each other on a seat.

I have a 36" waist and I could not fit. After having tried other options such as recaro and sparco, my experience has been that unless you have no larger than a 34" waist you just won't fit. Upper portion was tight but not uncomfortable (I have a 44" inch chest) so it was more of an issue of not fitting the butt into the seat.

Rather than change the vessel to fit the goods, perhaps we should change the goods to fit the vessel. :biggrin:

Rather than change the vessel to fit the goods, perhaps we should change the goods to fit the vessel. :biggrin:

I can't say that I disagree. But at least I wanted to point out that until NYC Michael Bloomberg is successful in his litigation to ban sugared drinks over 16 ounces and then move on to any high fat/low protein foods we are an "expanding" nation and that includes our little NSX community so sitter beware and try one on for size before taking the plunge.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back