race with F355

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I was the only person that noticed that this thread originated 7 years ago. :D

It's all good, interesting discussion though. I firgured that the 355 and NA2 would be a good match. Especially with minor mods to the NSX.

A good friend of mine owned one. His was bone stock. It was a maintenance/repair nightmare. He had some severe problems in the engine's electical system and he had to take it to the dealer many many times. I'm not sure whether they ever found what was causing the problem.

Are you talking about the FD?

Of all the problems that I have experienced in my FD, I have never had electrical problems. Look at my Sig. I've got the world's undisputed record for the most miles on the FD. Just about every non-performance-modifiable component is still stock, like the ABS, power steering, ignition, starter, A/C, but it was pulled out to make the FD lighter, master brake and clutch cyclinders, etc.

The stuff that breaks most commonly in the FD is the apex seals on the engine from our wonderfully low octane gas. Here is CA it's a whooping-tree-hugging 91.

I've mentioned in another thread that the R&R, port, and rebuild my engine cost me less than $1500. No big deal compared to a NSX engine if one were to grenade it from too much boost. It's all relative.

My 10+ FD buddies that are local never had electrical problems.

I pressure wash my engine bay EVERY week when I wash and wax my FD. I did that to my sister's Honda and the car started to misfire.

I can only imagine what the NSX might do if i wanted to make the engine compartment as bling as the FD with my 2000psi pressure washer.

Your buddy must be one of the rare unlucky ones with the electrical ailments.

When someone talks about electrical problems in a car, I start to think about European makes like Lotus, Jaguar, BMW, etc...

My buddy bought one last year, drove it from 52k miles to 55k miles and the apex seal went. It was going to cost somthing like 2,400$ to fix. He was very upset and sold it soon after. Then bought an Is300 and hasn't been happier!

Theres just so many stories of people having problems there not all bs. Its for sure the least reliable car ever produced from japan.....

that's fair enough.

It's the folks that start "hearing" things about the entire FD being crap that draws attention from someone that has more miles than anyone on a FD in the world.

It's the folks that start "hearing" things about the entire FD being crap that draws attention from someone that has more miles than anyone on a FD in the world.
No, the fact is, it's a crap car.

Think of it this way. Let's assume that 1 percent of Japanese brand cars, and 2 percent of American and European brand cars, have their engines replaced. And let's assume that 20 percent of third-gen RX-7s have their engines replaced. Sure, you might be one of the 80 percent that don't have their engines replaced. But that doesn't change the fact that it happens ten times as often with the third-gen RX-7 than with any other car I've ever heard of (with one exception, the early E46 M3). Heck, reports of engine failures were not particularly common with the first and second gen RX-7.

So sure, yours might not have problems. But that doesn't change the fact that many, MANY third gen RX-7s - including bone stock cars - do. Shop for third-gen RX-7s and ask whether they still have their original engine, and you'll find that many, maybe most, of them don't. Simple fact.

Theres just so many stories of people having problems there not all bs. Its for sure the least reliable car ever produced from japan.....
iagree.gif

Does the fact that almost ALL the transmissions in the CL/TL being bad and needing replacing make them "crap" cars? And those cars are certainly not anything special (like the FD) by any stretch of the imagination; that is, they don't stand out or shine in any form or fashion other than being lame like all the cars in their class.

Rotary engines in the 3rd gen needing a little extra attention, and owners that don't follow recommendations, hardly makes it a POS. The rewards of driving Japan's greatest "pure" sportscar are sure worth the miniscule amount of precaution needed to operate and maintain it.

What are you, some dickhead crusader that must warn North America of a limited run model that was brought here for 3 years, over 12 years ago? :rolleyes: Must've gotten your ass handed to you really bad time and time again by those "unreliable" beer kegs on every track/auto-x.

Gather all the cars in your sig and put them up against an FD. Now rev them all to 7500 and keep them there and see which one is left standing. It'll be ok, just takes a bit of time to round up all the piston scraps, then in a jealous rage, come on Prime and post for the umpteenth time how garbage-like the car that wiped your behind really is.

Tsk tsk I guess your venting at me because your RX7 is in the shop and you feel the need to take out your frustration on someone who's cars are actually running. No need to warn NA people who actually bought them new did all the warning that will ever need to be done. Sorry never seen a beer keg running well enough to race. Last one I saw at the track left with trails of oil smoke following it. Third gen RX7's just weren't known for reliability. You can keep calling all the names you want but facts are facts.

It was/is a poorly built vehicle.

The FD has been reliable the last few years I've had it due to a few mods and proper tuning with 91 octane in mind.

What engine number are you on?

MoreRPMs;786041Rotary engines in the 3rd gen needing a little extra attention said:
Needing a little extra attention???? They were brand new and failing! Your a fan I can tell by all the name calling and posturing ,but if you were old enough to remember when they were new and how problematic they were/are it had nothing to do with the owners not following recommended service. Guys I knew that had them loved their cars ,but were down right frustrated with the problems they were having. Oh and yes I'm going to continue speaking maturely with you ,because I'm right:biggrin:

I never raced a 355 but I did race a 360 F1 coupe. Surprised him big time. Din't walk from me. Pre CTSC, w/exhaust, headers, short gears and 4.23 at the time.

from my experience with 355 SPYDERS Im not impressed at all, dont knwo about the GTBs. In runs on back roads in my NSX I handed 355s there asses. On the highway with the T top off I ran with a 360 Spider top down and he had a passenger and he couldnt pull ahead of me at all even over 120

NOW to make it interesting. When Mitch and I didnt full power runs in our NSXs they are even, hes got exhaust and intake. NOW In my Diablo 6.0 in a run from 90-120ish I was not able to pull ahead of his car any. So at least in that range a 97+ or moded pre 97 can still hold its own in that range, may just be cause of my low RPMs in 3rd gear in that range though, but it nice to see a NSX hang with a Lambo :)

I'm an original owner (bought new August,'92).

Then you know these cars have problems and it's not fair to blame lack of care on the owners part. RX7 owners at least none that I've ever met would ever neglect their car! My buddy would wash and wax his in the winter because it got dusty and was fanatical about maintenance ,but that didn't stop him from having problems. People who could afford these cars back then were not punk kids. They were previous RX7 owners and knew the care and maintenance a rotary requires.

Last edited:
Does the fact that almost ALL the transmissions in the CL/TL being bad and needing replacing make them "crap" cars? And those cars are certainly not anything special (like the FD) by any stretch of the imagination; that is, they don't stand out or shine in any form or fashion other than being lame like all the cars in their class.

Rotary engines in the 3rd gen needing a little extra attention, and owners that don't follow recommendations, hardly makes it a POS. The rewards of driving Japan's greatest "pure" sportscar are sure worth the miniscule amount of precaution needed to operate and maintain it.

Good points.

I was looking at a Type S CL a year ago for daily usage and the horror stories of the tranny started to surface.

But one doesn't even have to go there.

How about the NSX snap ring failures. What's the cost on that? Probably more than my engine on my FD.

FD's make more hp/liter from the factory. It's a 1.3 liter engine making 200~hp per liter.

If the NSX was making 600HP on pump gas I would be impress.

My friend's T88 MKIV wasn't even making 450rwhp on pump gas.

Good points.

I was looking at a Type S CL a year ago for daily usage and the horror stories of the tranny started to surface.

But one doesn't even have to go there.

How about the NSX snap ring failures. What's the cost on that? Probably more than my engine on my FD.

FD's make more hp/liter from the factory. It's a 1.3 liter engine making 200~hp per liter.

If the NSX was making 600HP on pump gas I would be impress.

My friend's T88 MKIV wasn't even making 450rwhp on pump gas.

Sigh! why are you comparing NA to FI? FI will almost always be higher. On pump gas the what were the 93-95 RX7's putting down to the rear wheels?

Jeeesus. Whats with these damn RX7 guys jumping up and down, prancing all around like pink outfit wearing, tiara on the head wearing fairies on our boards ?!

Are there no RX7 boards for these guys to spend time on ?

Jeeesus. Whats with these damn RX7 guys jumping up and down, prancing all around like pink outfit wearing, tiara on the head wearing fairies on our boards ?!

hahah, not hatin on the Mazda, but everytime I check this thread thats what I think.

GET OFF THE RX7 stuff, talk about NSX's. Or start a RX7 thread :smile:

Good points.

you know those failures were only a small precentage of all the ka5mt.

but anyway, rx-7 look sexy so all you need is an LS1 in there to get rid of the weak link

I think it's funny whenever owners of some inferior car model are so insecure that they come here to harass NSX owners. They're not happy enough with their own car - with RX-7 owners, probably because it's in the shop getting yet another engine replacement - so they come here to get some pathetic pleasure out of making ludicrous boasts. It happens every so often with owners of MR-2s and even Civics, and now RX-7s. It's obvious their cars don't give them enough pleasure to be happy enough posting on their own boards. :D

Can we start a thread, we'll just call it the RX7 thread, that all Rx7 mentions, topics, problems, etc, RX7 fanatics can post in. Then, we will for the most part we'll never read that specific thread, so we can go back to spending time reading about what Nsxprime.com is about !! NSX's !!

Can we start a thread, we'll just call it the RX7 thread, that all Rx7 mentions, topics, problems, etc, RX7 fanatics can post in. Then, we will for the most part we'll never read that specific thread, so we can go back to spending time reading about what Nsxprime.com is about !! NSX's !!

We already have that thread. I recently unsubscribed.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45175

I think it's funny whenever owners of some inferior car model are so insecure that they come here to harass NSX owners. Blah blah bs bs blah blah blah

Answer the Honda transmision issue that was posted yesterday, Mr.Avoidance.

For those going ballistic about why the FD is brought up...it's because in almost all performance parameters the half as expensive car wins all. To those same people: don't constantly lambaste an object because your cousin's buddy's uncle had a friend with one, and you personally had no experience with, or never even sat in one.

PS I've been reading this board for over 6 years, I like and respect the model greatly, and the only harassment that occurs is some NSX owners, who think their car is the be all end all, slaying all comers verbally. Not on tracks/auto-Xs mind you. Sometimes a dose of reality is all they need :biggrin: ...in a little friendly debate. Is that not what enthusiast boards are for, afterall?

Prior to even being an owner of a NSX, I've always agreed that it's one of the best, if not the best all around 2-seater sports car when u mesh:

Luxury
Ease of use
MPG
Reliability
Looks
Performance

The Supra TT was another car that I was considering based on numbers, but it looks like a jelly bean with a handlebar.

Both cars seem to take styling cues from the F40.

Both cars are reliable, but the Supra has the stronger engine with more TQ and greater power potential than the NSX. It's the car to avoid on freeway racing.

RX7 has everything down, but the engine's vomiting habits with poor tuning and low octane gas. It's a good looking car that performs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back