FE-Freakin' Empty
:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue: :tongue: :smile: :smile: :wink: :wink:

FB-Freakin' Boring
FC-Freakin' Costly
FD-Freakin' Dumb
FE-Freakin' Empty
:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue: :tongue: :smile: :smile: :wink: :wink:

Poor guy,

You must have never owned one. To bad, you should take on out for a spin sometime, you might like it. I've owned several FD's and all were very fast, very reliable, and would spank my S2000 and NSX all over the track, street, and any place else. BUT, you get to a certain level and all the cars are so close and fun that no one cares! :wink:

J. R.

You must have never owned one. To bad, you should take on out for a spin sometime, you might like it. I've owned several FD's and all were very fast, very reliable, and would spank my S2000 and NSX all over the track, street, and any place else.
The third-generation RX-7 had the worst reputation for reliability of any Japanese car ever; most have had the engines replaced, some multiple times. If yours were different, glad to hear you're such a lucky guy.

As for "spanking", comparing a highly modded car with a stock car is silly. You can mod any car to be faster than any other car. All it takes is money.

I driven the spyder and berlinnetta and I must say that the spyder is noticably slower that the belinnetta. IMO the spyder is slower than the NSX. But the berlinnetta is definetely faster. Especially in high gears.

I hope you are right. The F355 is a car I am striving for, but when I drove an F355 Spider last year I was let down because it did not feel fast at all. By comparison, the 360 Modena I drove felt like it was shot from a rocket booster! Hopefully the F355 GTB will be more in line with what I want.

The third-generation RX-7 had the worst reputation for reliability of any Japanese car ever; most have had the engines replaced, some multiple times. If yours were different, glad to hear you're such a lucky guy.

As for "spanking", comparing a highly modded car with a stock car is silly. You can mod any car to be faster than any other car. All it takes is money.

Nothing to do with luck nsxtasy. Just was not new to a rotory and knew what I was doing with the car. The motor is fine if it is taken care of and tunned correctly, unfortunatly there are two few who have knowledge of the engine or the tunning to take care of it, so it gets a bad rep, and then people like yourself just jump on the bandwagon and bash it. Its ok, I guess I am faulty of jumping on the bandwagon and spreading information that I hear instead of know too, so we both are at fault.

J. R.

Yes,,but,,are'nt car companies supposed to produce cars for the general populous,most of us have no concept of what goes on under the hood,nor should we.A modern car should perform its tasks(with a routine maintanance schedual) without the owner needing advanced degrees in motor or turbo performance:rolleyes: The nsx meets this criterior sadly the twin turbo rx-7 did not,and yes I owned one for 3 yrs.

I hope you are right. The F355 is a car I am striving for, but when I drove an F355 Spider last year I was let down because it did not feel fast at all. By comparison, the 360 Modena I drove felt like it was shot from a rocket booster! Hopefully the F355 GTB will be more in line with what I want.

I think you may be disappointed with the F355 GTB, although it does have some very attractive qualities.

I friend of mine bought one last year after selling a clean 380 rwhp FD and I had a chance to take it through its paces.

The sound is amazing and visually it is still a stunner, but I prefer the NSX for several reasons. The NSX is much more of a precision instrument in several areas and far superior ergonomically and in overall design focus and cohesion.

As far as straight line performance, his 98 6-speed w/Tubi was very close to my E46 M3 w/Borla, with the F355 having a few extra hundred RPM in each gear. Its numbers are on par with a stock NA2.

BTW, my friend has put his car on the market. For me, only the 360 would be a possible replacement for my NSX.

Theres a video on youtube where a magazine drag raced a F355 and NSX.
You would think with 100 more hp the Ferrari would win, but it doesn't.

I think from now on when someone ask how much power my car has I'm going to tell them it has 380FHP.

FHP = Ferrari Horse Power

Precisely. The F355 does not have 100 more hp than the NSX. If it did it would be significantly faster. And since the F360 admittedly only has ~20 more hp than the F355 it isn't significantly faster than the NSX either.

Ferrari's claim of 380hp for the F355 is outrageous. This dyno chart shows a F355 barely getting to 300 rwhp. ~80hp loss through the drivetrain? :rolleyes: Gimme a break.

I would love to see some dyno data on F355's. Based on 1/4 mile times I am guessing they are around 300 RWHP. I personally don't think it matters on a Ferrari. It needs to be fast but I doubt that the Stereotypical Ferrari ownner cares that a modded FD or a NSX is as quick. From a styling standpoint, I think that the F355 looks better than a F360 which unfortunately looks better than a F430

Btw, I was searching for dyno data and found this article in Yahoo or all places. Pretty decent read.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/ferrari-f355-2002704.html

Precisely. The F355 does not have 100 more hp than the NSX. If it did it would be significantly faster. And since the F360 admittedly only has ~20 more hp than the F355 it isn't significantly faster than the NSX either.

Ferrari's claim of 380hp for the F355 is outrageous. This dyno chart shows a F355 barely getting to 300 rwhp. ~80hp loss through the drivetrain? :rolleyes: Gimme a break.

May be we should compare power to weight ratios... how much does a 355 weigh? Guessing only but a 355 would probably feel much faster than a stock NSX at the highend.

May be we should compare power to weight ratios... how much does a 355 weigh? Guessing only but a 355 would probably feel much faster than a stock NSX at the highend.

3150 lbs.

I'm not saying the F355 doesn't have more hp; just saying it doesn't have 100hp more. The F355 will pull the NSX at higher speeds but 0-60 is pretty darn close.

The third-generation RX-7 had the worst reputation for reliability of any Japanese car ever; most have had the engines replaced, some multiple times.

I had one of the Mazda Twin Turbo R1's for about 1 year. During that time I had two engines replaced and 3 sets of turbos. It was flat bedded to the dealer on three occasions. Three of the 4 OE wheels cracked. The dealer actually had the car in his shop more in that one year than I had it in my garage!!! I traded a 944 turbo S for that car, worst trade I ever made.

I spoke with a master Madaz tech. long while back about the last gen. of the RX7. He told me they have very poor reliability.

I had one of the Mazda Twin Turbo R1's for about 1 year. During that time I had two engines replaced and 3 sets of turbos. It was flat bedded to the dealer on three occasions. Three of the 4 OE wheels cracked. The dealer actually had the car in his shop more in that one year than I had it in my garage!!! I traded a 944 turbo S for that car, worst trade I ever made.

Thanks for being honest! I remember people suing Mazda to make them take their RX7 back posting sites on the internet. When one of my friends went to test drive one back in 94 the guy who was selling it said he had just had the turbos replaced under warranty. When my buddy asked why the guy told him he drove it in the rain and they got "wet". I think the RX7 is a beautiful car and a great performer , but it makes Ferraris look as dependable as a civic!

I just ran my 1991 NA1(completely stock) against my friend's 1996 355B for a couple hours today. He has a Tubi exhaust. He's faster, but not that much faster.
We swapped cars, too. For being competitors, these cars really couldn't be more DIFFERENT. The 355 is a beast, and always feels like control could be lost at any given moment. The NSX is just so much more refined and civilized than the 355. The 355 demands to be absolutely manhandled in all gears.
He really only starts pulling on me towards the end of his 2nd gear.
One thing is certain: The 355 gets way more looks than the NSX. Even still, I wouldn't trade mine for a 355 for anything..:wink:

Thanks for being honest! I remember people suing Mazda to make them take their RX7 back posting sites on the internet. whaaa whaaaa

What are you, some dickhead crusader that must warn North America of a limited run model that was brought here for 3 years, over 12 years ago? :rolleyes: Must've gotten your ass handed to you really bad time and time again by those "unreliable" beer kegs on every track/auto-x.

Gather all the cars in your sig and put them up against an FD. Now rev them all to 7500 and keep them there and see which one is left standing. It'll be ok, just takes a bit of time to round up all the piston scraps, then in a jealous rage, come on Prime and post for the umpteenth time how garbage-like the car that wiped your behind really is.

Gather all the cars in your sig and put them up against an FD. Now rev them all to 7500 and keep them there and see which one is left standing. It'll be ok, just takes a bit of time to round up all the piston scraps, then in a jealous rage, come on Prime and post for the umpteenth time how garbage-like the car that wiped your behind really is.
I don't know about the M3, but the NSX and the S2000 will be plenty happy at 7500 RPM for any reasonable amount of time. What was your point with that, anyway?

Gather all the cars in your sig and put them up against an FD.
WingZ, Find my old car and it will be a piece of cake:biggrin:

What are you, some dickhead crusader that must warn North America of a limited run model that was brought here for 3 years, over 12 years ago? :rolleyes: Must've gotten your ass handed to you really bad time and time again by those "unreliable" beer kegs on every track/auto-x.

Uh,,, having a bad day?Why would you single out wingz with such verbage when there have been 5 of us saying the same thing?:confused:

Docjohn, saying something once may be funny, but seems like a few weeks worth of non-stop bashing a particular car is just way too many, that's why he happened to be singled out.

Back to the issue of keeping all the cars almost at redline will surely prove which engine is more durable, and which ones will have long grenaded in a cloud of smoke and metal bits.

Without getting to much into it let me just say this.

Stock RX7's when maintained where not bad to deal with.

But most people who talk online are modding the cars. Thing was the rotary ran pretty lean to begin with NO ROOM in the ecu for adjusting fuel so that it would be able to pass emissions. That said if you put intake and exhaust on the car it would run lean. High EGT's, High underhood temps, you name it.

Another thing was even just doing exhaust on the car they would run leaner, with higher EGT's and cook all the vacuum hoses and then you have problems.

Another problem was IC placement and size. It was not very efficient and the car had VERY high AIT's causing it always to be on the borderline of detonation.

Another problem was the turbo's are OLD! In there design they were pushing the efficiency level just running 10 psi. But most guys would turn them up to 12 or 13 psi, not realizing that there efficiency just goes down the toilet so while they do produce a little more power, they produce 2x that in heat.

ANWAY, this is why I saw it was not luck with me and my reliable RX7. I was just a informed owner. But like some of you have said, that is all mazda's fault for releasing a car like that...I would say no, a untouched RX7 if maintained is not that bad on the wallet.,.......problem is, the people that are online talking about them, or heard about them.......well these are car guys. Lets face it, the people reading this post right now are car guys. And if you play with a RX7 and aren't informed as I was, you see how if you tamper with anything on the motor without knowing what you are doing its game over time!!!

So I don't know the point of my post. I guess its to say...both arguments are right. The car is reliable for those that understand the 12a, and 13B rotory by Dr. Wankel, and the car is a nightmare for the Naive and Un-informed who mod the car blindly.

No matter what, the platform is still amazing. bring me a 350 HP rx7 and a 350HP NSX and I'll tell you right now which one will get a spanking in a parking lot, racetrack, QT track, or anywhere else......so lets just enjoy both cars for what they are, Beautiful Cars!

J. R.

Stock RX7's when maintained where not bad to deal with.

But most people who talk online are modding the cars.
I would say no, a untouched RX7 if maintained is not that bad on the wallet.,.......problem is, the people that are online talking about them, or heard about them.......well these are car guys. Lets face it, the people reading this post right now are car guys. And if you play with a RX7 and aren't informed as I was, you see how if you tamper with anything on the motor without knowing what you are doing its game over time!!!
A good friend of mine owned one. His was bone stock. It was a maintenance/repair nightmare. He had some severe problems in the engine's electical system and he had to take it to the dealer many many times. I'm not sure whether they ever found what was causing the problem.

My buddy bought one last year, drove it from 52k miles to 55k miles and the apex seal went. It was going to cost somthing like 2,400$ to fix. He was very upset and sold it soon after. Then bought an Is300 and hasn't been happier!

Theres just so many stories of people having problems there not all bs. Its for sure the least reliable car ever produced from japan.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back