• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Paddock Performance Exhausts? (MagnaFlow)

ANYTIME said:
A quick web search came up with these possibilities:
Big exhaust.com has 2 Magnaflow mufflers offering 2.5 dual inlet/2.5 dual outlet, priced at $118.80 for part #14568 and $132.50 for part #14468. Both being 4X9 Oval made out of stainless steel.
The 14568 is a 5x8 and 14468 is a 5x11. See Magnaflow page

TigerNSX (above) had the correct number. (i.e. 14386)

Hello Everyone,

This may be another long installment in the Paddock Performance Exhaust saga, but I will try to keep it short.

I need to explain something that I should have before, now I'm getting a lot of PMs and posts about it that I need to mention it. The install on my car is NOT the production unit. I thought by showing you guys pictures of the "hand fabrication" it was clear that they didn't use a "jig". Anyway that was my bad. All of the ones they have done have been this way, "by hand". Well after the initial response, and huge interest level I created for them, they rushed to get that system on my car. They wanted to act fast so that we could post some pics, do a dyno (like all of you wanted), and to see if I could drive around with it and come up with some things I wanted changed. Well, I did find a few things to change, and they had some things they wanted to try as well, so today I went up there and installed a second version of the exhaust. This will be the final product that people will receive (just keep in mind this one is still MIG'd). Below is a run down......

Different Can
As some of you mentioned before (Tiger had the part numbers). There is a smaller, lighter muffler that could be used. Paddock wanted to try it even before you guys mentioned it on-line. I was told during the day of my dyno that the next one that goes on my car would have it. It's roughly 3-4 inches shorter, and the same size oval. This muffler sounds just as good as the other one, except it's a bit louder during heavy throttle, but has a lower cabin resonance while cursing. Keep in mind it still resonates more then the stock system, but it is quieter then my first install. An interesting point is the inlet and outlets are reversed on the two sides which allows for better placement of the piping. That leads me to my nest point.

Better pipe routing
My exhaust, although I think it looked good, hung down a bit too much IMO. Actually, I received a PM about this as well. Most of the reason for this was where the outlets were, it made it difficult to route them without extremely complex bends. Example, some of you may have noticed that although they have a mandrel bender some of the pipes were cut and then another piece welded on. That's because their machine can only make a curve every 6 inches. so if the angles are too complex they have to make 2 pipes and weld them together (see the picture of my first gen. setup below)

fa85fdf1.jpg

The only other way to mount this muffler would have been to tilt it the other way so the outlet pipes went under the inlet ones, but this would have created many more of those "complex angles" I was just talking about, which means more patched piping.

The new muffler has reversed inlet and outlets right and left. This creates many more design possibilities, as you will see in my pictures. My new one sits perfectly behind the valence:D:D

Created with a jig
IMO one of the most important things was that this one was created with a jig. Meaning they made it without my car there. We put it right up to my car and bolted it right in with the stock mounting hardware and rubber mounts. It fit just like they said it would!!

One last thought
Before I post the pictures I wanted to hit on something else. IMO I may have become too involved with this whole process. What I mean is, some of you may be wondering why I have gone to great lengths with this. Well, it's because now that I have endorsed this exhaust I feel personally responsible in making sure everyone is happy. I really would hate for someone to be disappointed with their purchase, even if it is half the price of competitors mufflers. There was really no "special deal" for me. Actually, I only got $50.00 off the exhaust and free dyno/install work. So I am doing this purely because I want to.

I wouldn't even have mentioned this except for the fact that right now I'm a bit emotional because yesterday I had a death in my family. Today my dad flew up from Florida and my entire family got together, but I cut out and took the 140 mile round trip to Paddock to make sure everything is going OK with the new system and the jig. I got a lot of slack from my spouse (rightfully so) because in her words, "this group buy and car is more important then your family"

So please attempt to be a little more understanding when bringing up small details like TIG welding and remember that this muffler is only $700.00 as opposed to $1300 - $2700 .....and more importantly, I'm doing the best I can:):):)

BTW….Once more for the cheap seats…yours will be TIG’d

Here's some pictures of the second gen. system:D:D:D

Regards,
John

This is the First Gen. just for comparrison
fa7e24c7.jpg

The Second Gen. Real sweet:D:D
fa7e247e.jpg

fa7e2422.jpg

On the car, notice the different piping, and it sits higher
fa7e23c8.jpg

Second Gen. on the car, looks perfect!!
fa7e237f.jpg

I even took these from a lower angle and you can still barely see the muffler.
fa7e2341.jpg

fa7e22d4.jpg

3 questions about version #2

1. does the new version w/ the smaller muffler sit any lower than the stock exhaust at any point?

2. is it lighter than version #1 when its all said and done, if so how much?

3. just so im understanding you correctly on throttle its louder, but cruising its quieter than version 1 in cabin?

thanks for all your effort you've put into this
Randy

1) Without measuring, just eyeballing it, I would say version 2 is not lower at any point then the stock system.

2)I did not weigh the two, so I can't give you exact numbers, I would guess at least 2-3 pounds easily. I bet we could find out exactly on magnaflows exhaust site.

3)Yes, the throttle is louder, meaning the overall exhaust is a tad bit louder. But the noise inside at highway speeds seems to have dropped a little. I'm no expert on accoustics, the only thing I can think of is the effect of humming into a 10 gallon drum as opposed to a 1 gallon container. The larger container resonates much more. Maybe (just a guess) it works the same way, smaller muffler, less restriction, less resonating "noise", but more overall Db.

gen 1 vs. gen2 exhaust

the muffler used in gen 1 is a Tru -x muffler design. Gen 2 uses a straight through design.
Gen 2 muffler straight thru design allows for a clean install and actually sits higher than a stock muffler.
I actually just recently did an install in my nsx also like jadkar, but with a different manufacture muffler.
Danny

my condolences to you and your family jadkar. I can say that I do appreciate all the hard work you have gone through to make this happen and am glad that you took the time to make sure this exhaust is a quality exhaust and not something you just go to Meineke for..

sign me up for that 2nd gen..;)

John: you are the man.. Thanks for all your help and research!!

Now get off this board and tend to your family.. They need you right now.. All this can wait..

Sorry about the death and be strong..

Julian

Dude...I'm so sorry to hear of your recent loss. I too suffered a tragic loss in my family, and I understand completely the need some of us feel at these times to immerse ourselves in something that brings us a little joy in an attempt to deflect, for a time, the negativity a regular day can bring, let alone something as devasting as the passing of a loved one. I think you've gone way above and beyond the call here and I applaud your efforts on our behalf. If I ever intend to replace my exhaust, this is the route I'll go. It looks great, and for the price you can't go wrong; even if you replace later with a more expensive unit. This frees up more fun-bucks for other go-fast goodies.:D So thank you for the info. There's more than enough here for any half-wit to make a decision, let alone this intelligent, adult, old-enough-to-make-up-their-own-minds-with-this-bounty-of-visual-technical-textual-information available. I can't remember...did you post the phone number? If so, I'm sure any particular questions could be asked directly. Now do what Spyderman says...never argue with a super-hero. Thought you'd know THAT!:D

I did my dyno today with the second gen. muffler, and the HP stayed exactly the same. I was hoping for little more with this muffler, but hey, at least I didn't loss anything.

Here is something interesting. I threw a K&N drop in filter in the NSX and did another dyno. I gained about 1.3 HP. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, don't they advertise 2-5 HP depending on the car??

Oh well:):)

when are they gonna start taking orders on the 2nd generation? I put my name down but haven't been contacted yet?

To my knowledge all the orders that are going through the group buy will be the second gen. I know everyone is real excited about getting their system, what you need to do is call Paddock and see how far along they are with calling everyone. Their number is 845-429-4115, ask for either Steve or Ken, and let them know that you were in with the group buy:)

They called me today and I also received their email. They seem knowledgeable. On the email it did ask what tips I wanted. After talking to them I'm getting the Magnaflow 35121 double wall tips, which they recommended. Sounds like they'll be making them up this week and sending them out soon.

Hey guys,

Real quick,

Yes....you can get different tips
Yes....I have sound clips of the second generation.

I know that a bunch of you guys were able to download some stuff from me, but what I really need from someone is a place to store these dyno clips. My FTP server will not work well because my DSL has terrible upload. So PLEASE someone send me a PM so I can have these hosted somewhere for everyone to hear. I have dyno clips of stock, 1st generation Paddock, 2nd generstion Paddock, 0-60 mph dyno run, and soon I will have some burnouts and fly-bys:D:D:D

Thanks,
John

I don't know, that doesn't seem right. If you look at my latest pictures of the exhaust on the bench you can see the 2.5 piping coming directly out of the muffler, you can see the same piping going right into the tips. You can clearly see they even had to swell the end of the pipe as to fit over the 2.5 inch inlet on the tip. The only thing I can think is it's a mis-print, or Paddock gave you the wrong part number for the tip?? In any case you should ask them.

Re: Re: paddock exhaust

STLNSX said:
can't wait to hear it :) maybe we should schedule a local dinner type get together after you get it put on, so you can show it off to everyone.

It's ordered and paid for. Should have it in 7-10 days. I'll let everyone know.

So after doing a math conversion, it looks like my 1998 3.2 with the Paddock Magnaflow and K&N drop-in is now making 304HP @ 7250RPM and 234ft/lbs @ 6500RPM:):):)

For my next long comprehensive project I plan on installing the Type R 4.23 gears!! Larry Bastanza and I will be doing this, I plan on doing a base 1/4 run on Paddock's dyno. Then I will do the gears, and another 1/4 run. My goal is to get accurate figures on the "real-world" gains with this gear set. I'm expecting to get my 0-60 down to around 4.6 and the quarter into the high 12's......we'll see :D:D:D:D Of course there will be plenty of pictures and discussions.

Oh my god!!!....It' my 500th post:D:D:D:):):):):D:D:D

Last edited:
Back