• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Paddock Performance Exhausts? (MagnaFlow)

NSX1,

Please PM me :) It's easier to keep track of everyone by looking in my PMs, and yes, I'm going for full stainless.

Thanks,

John

LMK if they offer cat bypass pipes. Looking to lose some weight. Should be easy for those guys to fabricate considering it's just a pipe with flanges welded on.

fangtl,

I will ask about bypass pipes, and a high flow cat. option.

John

Keep those PMs coming guys......so far I have 11 people including myself!! Obviously the more interest, the better bargaining power we have. I can't wait until Saturday, I'll keep everyone posted.

John

Here's the Info :)

Ok Everyone :)

Here is the deal. Karen and I had such a great time today at Paddock Performance. The shop is really incredible, they had many high line cars there including a 356 spider, Cobra 427, about 4 S2000s, 91 NSX, Ferrari 348, Lotus Elise, Boxster S, and some other American muscle machines. I took a lot in, as far as information from the 2 owners, and visually looking around the shop. I wanted to get a really good feel for the people and the shop before I get others involved with a big purchase. Anyway, the break down is below.........

Owners
Steve, and Ken own the place. Ken also owns a advertising firm in NYC. It seems as though this is a hobby that became a second business because he was listing all the cars he has collected throughout the years (very impressive list). Steve, has a long history of working in shops. He has owned his own place before, and recently he was the service manager at Wide World of Cars (a well known dealership in Rockland county NY) He is extremely knowledgeable, and his work shows his incredible ability. Both guys were a pleasure to talk to, I basically hung out for 5 hours and talked about all sorts of cars, and upgrades. These guys are "real" car guys, that "love" what they do (that's very important to me).

The Shop
Their shop is very clean, and filled with all sorts of high tech toys. I was at Comptech during NSXPO, this place is just as cool. Actually Paddock's dyno is mounted in the ground as opposed to a drive up ramp. Not a big deal, but it looks cool to see the big rollers sticking out of the shop floor :) It's a Mustang (company name) dyno which supposedly gives you more "real world" numbers. The dyno rollers have varying resistance in them depending on vehicle weight, and the rollers are textured as opposed to smooth steel. This dyno allows you to do 0-60, and quarter mile runs as well. It was real cool, we put my car up there and I did a 0-60 run, launching it at 3,500 RPM and shifting real hard. I'll tell you more later.

The best part....the exhaust system
I'll get right to the price, then I'll elaborate. They are willing to go down to $700.00, which is a $150.00 savings!! I don't think I have seen a group discount better then that on any NSX item. The package they will do for us is 100% stainless steel:) with what looked like 3.5 inch angle cut tips. They are the same tips shown on their website video. The muffler uses all the stock rubber mounts, and (the good part) they will make it for any year car, regardless of the mounting style. Some of you might have been wondering about the stainless steel clamps like I was. The reason for those is most of their exhausts are completely welded, needing no clamps however, if you are at a great distance they can make some of the pipes detachable for easy shipping, they are then assembled by you with the stainless steel clamps:) They prefer to make it all one piece, but it's cool that they have that option. The muffler has a lifetime warranty from magnaflow, so no need to worry there. There is a 22lbs weight savings, and roughly a 7-9hp increase. Honestly though after hearing this thing, it didn’t matter to me what the gain was. It sounds awesome, like I said, I was at EXPO, I heard almost all the exhausts there, I like this one the best. From inside the car it sounds a tad bit deeper, hardly any louder. The most I heard was during a sprint up a hill while lugging in 3rd gear, during that time I heard that all so incredible very low growl, almost like a moan (very cool) Outside the car was a different story. You can totally hear the difference, it sounds much less "metallic" more deeper, louder, tones. Loud but muted, I think what I mean is there is no unwanted resonance, it doesn't sound "brassy". The craftsmanship is equally as impressive, the mandrel bends are flawless as are the flanges. Fit and finish is perfect. These guys said they have been experimenting with all different brands of mufflers, and they found the magnaflow to give the best sound and performance, I believe them.

High flow cats
I did ask them about this, they said they can offer them, and there are a few different companies out there. they would rather do this as a "one off" deal. Meaning if anyone wants one it will be handled separately. They did say however, that they don't find them necessary. Steve said he has done them before on Acuras and didn’t see that much difference. He said in his travels he has witnessed that Acura cats are very good as far as flow rate. I know this cat or no cat topic has been beat to death, so lets not go down that road again (at least on this thread). I have to say though, they could have sold us high flow cats, but instead they said don't bother, don't waste the money. These are good people, to talk me out of spending money with them says a lot to me.

Dyno
Their dyno is bad ass. My car is bone stock (engine that is), I asked if I could do a baseline run. since in the summer I plan out doing a FI. We rolled my car onto the dyno, and he explained to me that many people don't like uses these dynos because the numbers produced are sometimes lower then others. With that said, my car ran 246hp @ 7200 RPM. Steve's 91 ran a 221 at about the same RPM. He had a Boxster S there with someone else’s Hi-PO chip, exhaust, and headers and it ran 219hp, so I'm happy :). Again we could argue dyno numbers all day, but I think the significance is having a good baseline, so you can measure the amount of improvement, not the actual number. The coolest part was my 0-60 run. We have to enter the weight of the car, tire size and so on. I rev'd it up to 3,500 and dropped the clutch on the dyno rollers!! Damn, it was scary, the rollers are textured and actually screeched like pavement. Believe it or not my NSX pulled off a 4.37 seconds to 60!! We ran 2 tests because neither of us believed it. I explained to him that it impossible, the Type R doesn't even do that, and I have a targa!! After leaving, I looked at the sheet it printed out and I think I saw what happened. He put in that my car weighed 2995lbs, and I don't think he accounted for my different tire sizes (I'm running 265/35/18) Because of the weight the dyno put the wrong pre-load on the rollers, and the tire size threw off the 60mph reading, it thought I hit 60 when probably was at 58 or something. He said the 2002 he had in the shop ran 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, that sounded more like it. Regardless it was pretty cool.

Conclusion
I’m sorry my reply went on forever, but I take it very personally when I recommend something to friends. The bottom line: Yes, you can find an exhaust cheaper, hell you may be even able to make a Magnaflow system cheaper elsewhere. I am very sure however, that I will be very happy putting THIS exhaust, from THIS shop on my car. Fit and finish was some of the best I have seen, it sounds awesome, they can fit any tips you want (if you prefer something different from the deal), performance increase is solid, the shop is clean and well equipped, and the owners and staff are very professional.

OK, I did my part and my research for you guys. Now, if you are interested I need each person to E-Mail (not PM) me a letter with your year, and location also, please provide a telephone number for contacting you. My address is [email protected] When I receive a bunch I will hand them to Steve, or Ken and they will talk to you directly. I have 11 private messages, I'm hoping everyone who said they were seriously interested still is that way it doesn't affect the "group price". I will keep everyone posted as to how many I emails I have on a daily basis.

Consequently, I told them about the incredible time I had at EXPO and they said they will definitely be at the Glen this year!!

You guys had a lot of questions, and if I missed any of them please let me know.

Regards,
John DeFini

PS: I will be posting pictures of the shop tomorrow, I still have to download them.

Last edited:
Saturn,

While I was there all three of us tried to figure out a way to include shipping. I'm actually the one who said forget about it because it was becoming too diffcult and unfair. Meaning some people are actually in South Jersey, or Boston while others are located in California. Everyone would be paying for a "included" shipping charge no matter where they were. Shipping won't be very much on this item, so I really didn't worry about it.

One more cool fact I forgot to mention. One of Paddock's customers is from Sweeden. This guy owns a NSX that has been in some movies lately (no names please). Consequently, in the 5th installment of this "series" of movies the featured NSX will have a Paddock exhaust on it!!! This guy actually called while we were dyno'ing my car :D

Regards,
John

Great work jakdar, unfortunately I can't take advantage of this really fabulous deal. I've looked around and this is by far the best price for a custom stainless exhaust I've seen....which led me to thinking about saturn's comment about shipping being included. Dude, you own an NSX, not a CRX, I'm sure you can pony up the shipping fundage, especially in light of the exceedingly good price and obvious value. Everybody wants a deal, and when they get it, they want more...and please don't take this as an attack, just a reminder to appreciate the efforts jakdar went to to secure a great opportunity for the rest of us. Thanks again jakdar!

Is that 7-9 hp increase for a 3.0 L or a 3.2? and do they have numbers for the other?

thanks for the great leg work jadkar...

Jadkar:

I noticed in the listing that they mention it will "install in minutes"...is it really that easy? Also, were there any tip options (like dual outlets), or will they look like the picture on the Ebay page?

If I want in from Texas, will it ship unassembled?

Thanks!

Todd

Wheelman.....7-9 hp was on Paddock's own 91 NSX. His exhaust was really awesome, he put the original tips back on. When you look and see the oval tips it looks stock until you look underneath and see all the stainless steel, very cool :D As far as the 3.2, I would expect the same if not a tad bit more. Tuesday my exhaust is getting installed and I will have exact numbers then.

LeftLane......Honestly, this all depends on how good you are with a wrench. Really the NSX exhaust is a piece of cake. Your biggest concerns are getting the car up high enough, and the bolts being stuck. Other then that it is easy. Yes, if you want it in pieces, for easier shipping, that can be arranged. As far as tips, for the sake of making it simple for everyone, the "deal" uses the tips that are in the video. You can however specify different tips, which ever kind you want. Let's use common sense though, if the tips you want are super expensive it may raise the price slightly.

John

spyderman33.....I plan on it :)

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the shop etc. from this Saturday like I promised.

Here are some of the shop
fa8a9f15.jpg

Here is a straight pipe they fabricated for testing, it yielded a 22lbs increase in torque. They said it was extremely loud.
fa8a9ecf.jpg

fa8a9e8a.jpg

cool dyno
fa8a9e28.jpg

Paddock's 1991 with Magnaflow and stock tips!! very stealthy
fa8a9de0.jpg

fa8a9d92.jpg

Cobra
fa8a9d1c.jpg

fa8a9cbd.jpg

Porsche roadster
fa8a9c76.jpg

fa8a9bd4.jpg

My baby on the dyno...notice the Elise in the background, it has a 1.8 Integra type R engine in it!!
fa8a9b45.jpg

Stay tuned!!!! I have some cool video clips of my car on the dyno, and 2 of my car doing a 0-60 test on the dyno.

yeah baby!! That was the real deal. That was the first one I have ever seen. Same with the Elise, I have never seen one of those either.

The place looks awesome.. I can't believe the cars that this place sees.. The Elise literally just came out!!

I live 5 min from a Lotus dealer and even I haven't seen one yet on the road..

so that's not a Beck 550 Spyder? If that's a real 550, we are talking some real cash...

Looking forward to your install Tues for your analysis..

spyderman33......That Elise was imported, your correct the "official" car isn't here yet :)

It looks like from the pictures that the weld quality is not as good as some of the other exhausts available. It seems like the exhaust is mig welded and not TIG welded. Mig welding is a lot cheaper/easier to do and it seems like thats what all muffler shops use to weld these "custom exhausts".

It looks like from the pictures that the weld quality is not as good as some of the other exhausts available. It seems like the exhaust is mig welded and not TIG welded. Mig welding is a lot cheaper/easier to do and it seems like thats what all muffler shops use to weld these "custom exhausts".

NSXHSC - Very observant!! The straight pipe that I posted a picture of as well as the white NSX exhaust were MIG welded. However, the exhausts they make for customers are TIG welded. So just to reiterate, all the exhausts that come to us in the group buy will be TIG welded, and as you pointed out TIG welding is more expensive and produces better quality than MIG. Thanks for making that point:)

John

Exhaust

Hi John-

Thanks to your Wife and you for doing all the homework. I can't wait to hear your exhaust! Will the shop include installation for the local guys? If not, about how much do they charge for installation? I suppose that I will hold pulling the trigger on the Tubi until I hear your exhaust!

Thanks again!

Nev

Nev,

The installation will be seperate, I can ask how much they charge. However, if I were you I would definitely check with Larry Bastanza. He is our NSX super tech and I think it would be great to keep the installs with him:)

Of course mine is getting installed with Paddock tomorrow, because we are dyno'ing my car right after.

I will keep everyone posted.

John

Back