Numbers question: NSX vs 350Z

Originally posted by sjs:
Huh? That would make it front wheel drive! I trust not!!

Well, he's sort of right. The platform is shared with the new Skyline at least according to the Detroit News:

"The same chassis, which incorporates a new multi-link design at both ends, is shared in Japan with the recently introduced Stagea wagon and Skyline sedan, and eventually will be used for the replacements for the Cedric, Gloria and Cima sedans.

In North America, a version of the Skyline sedan will be introduced next spring, rebadged as the Infiniti G35. The next-generation Cima eventually will replace the current Infiniti Q45 in 2005-06. Nissan hasn?t decided whether to market the Stagea wagon and the Cedric and Gloria sedans in this country.

The FR-L platform can accommodate all-wheel drive and a variety of powerplants, including Nissan?s DOHC 4.5-liter V-8 engine. It is the chassis of choice for the next-generation Skyline GT-R, which was seen in concept form at the recent Tokyo show and is expected to reach production in late 2004.

It almost certainly will be sold in the United States, possibly under the Infiniti brand."

Originally posted by jon69:
...8 speed CVT tranny...

An 8-speed CVT? I thought CVT's came standard with infinite-speeds?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
An 8-speed CVT? I thought CVT's came standard with infinite-speeds?
biggrin.gif

A CVT is supposed to be continuously variable - it has a cone shape instead of individual gears and a belt or chain that slides up and down depending on tension to any point on the cone. The only explanation that I have read of the Nissan CVT is that it has 8 pre-selected positions on the cone and is thus the first 8 speed gearbox. If they're pre-selected I don't know why it is still called a CVT.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by cojones:
Originally posted by NasiRames:
If that was done, we could have seen more NSXs rather than Porsches on the street today.
Would you rather have a more common, higher-volume vehicle, or a rarer limited-quantity exotic ??

Exclusive is the NSX right now. But I doubt this is what Honda wants to see happen. I am more concerned about the long term sustainability of the NSX line. It's hard to make any profit when Honda is only selling about 4-500 NSXes a year. Even at a price of 90K, Honda's profit margin is definitely razor thin when compared to Porsches and Ferraries.

I believe the major reason why the NSX is not selling at high volume anymore is because of price. NSX price has been steadily climbing from 60K to 66K to 72K to 78K to 82K(if i am not wrong). There's 2 factors driving the price this sky high : 1. appreciating Yen vs Dollar.
2. The Volume of the NSX just keep shrinking, thus driving up production costs.

Here's my take on the next gen NSX to be a success. For one, it must be at least be as good as the current gen in terms of performance(which I have no doubt Honda can achieve). Secondly, produce it cheap enough and charge it at the 1991 price of 60K or less, ie use steel but keep it fit at 3000 pounds. We'll see 911 buyers forming lines at the Acura dealers instead.

PS: Honda should consider acquiring Zonda. Or at least buy their body design. Those are beautiful cars...
biggrin.gif

I believe the major reason why the NSX is not selling at high volume anymore is because of price. NSX price has been steadily climbing from 60K to 66K to 72K to 78K to 82K(if i am not wrong).

Not by a whole lot, when you take inflation into account. And not at all, when you take into account the actual selling prices, including the federal luxury tax. Let's take a look at the numbers, and see what happens when we do that:

2001 NSX-T

MSRP, including transportation charge: $88,845
Typical selling price, Jan 1 2001, before luxury tax: $82,000
Typical selling price, Jan 1 2001, including luxury tax: $84,542

1991 NSX Coupe

MSRP, Jan 1 1991, including transportation charge: $61,600
MSRP stated in 2001 dollars (adjusted for inflation): $80,098

Typical selling price, Jan 1 1991, before luxury tax: $71,000
Typical selling price, Jan 1 1991, including luxury tax: $75,410
Typical selling price, Jan 1 1991, including luxury tax, in 2001 dollars (adjusted for inflation): $98,056

And this, of course, is before the huge incentives arrived in the past few months. Throw those into the mix, and people were snapping up new 2001 NSX's for $73,500 including luxury tax.

Finally, note that the base MSRP of $88,000 for the 2001 NSX-T is the same as the 1997 NSX-T was.

PS: Honda should consider acquiring Zonda.

Yes! Then they could introduce the Honda Zonda.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 January 2002).]

Back