NSXPO 2005 DVD, Group Photo, Individual Photo

I got the DVD just in time to bring it with me to Mammoth this weekend...thanks! Unfortunately, I'm having problems playing the video on the disc with the old Windows 98 laptop computer I dragged along with me on our trip (only the menu loads). I'll let you know if this is a problem with a normal DVD player as soon as I get home on Monday night.

I've been snowboarding so much this season, I was looking forward to watching the DVD just to remind me what it was like to actually drive my car somewhere other than work. :D

Excellent photos!! My DVDs both worked fine in my DVD player until the last 2 segments. The ones with the interviews, and at Firebird raceway. Could not watch it. It froze constantly and would not FF. I don't know if this was an isolated issue or not. The rest of the DVD was fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work.

Just finished watching the DVD -- ah, the memories. Y'know, I'm actually kinda glad it took so long to get to me. Makes the memory that much more sweet. Also, now it has me pining for NSXPO 2006, but there's virtually no way I can make it all the way to Orlando this year :(.

Thanks to all involved, even the slow-poke videographer.

Thanks Understudy, mine arrived today. The photos were great and the DVD was great till it got to Fury's car at the Pavillion's Car Show, at that point it stopped and wouldn't continue. Is there more after that? Thanks again for all your efforts. Gil

coolnsx said:
Thanks Understudy, mine arrived today. The photos were great and the DVD was great till it got to Fury's car at the Pavillion's Car Show, at that point it stopped and wouldn't continue. Is there more after that? Thanks again for all your efforts. Gil
Oh, I see how it is. Blame things on me! :D

coolnsx said:

Yeah, Randy's car seems to be the culprit. In fact, I think the videographers camera was damaged after he captured it on film and that is causing the problems. :biggrin: :tongue: Remember Neo's teaser video, at the very end his remote car also seemed to crash into the camera and end the footage.

There is quite a bit more than that to the DVD, including the banquet dinner, Prescott Drive, Pinnacle Peak dinner with interviews and track day footage. Have you also tried selecting from the chapter menu to see if you can play any of that later footage. If necessary we can send you another if yours won't work further than that. Let me know.

Last edited:
SilverOne said:
It's that big ass wing that may be great for downforce, but probably blocking the signals to the camera ;)
Yup, it's been known to cause delays of four months with the satellite linkup needed for video transmissions. :)

If necessary we can send you another if yours won't work further than that. Let me know.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll try the DVD you sent for Donna and see if it has the same issue and let you know, Gil

Understudy, Thanks I did try the DVD you sent for Donna and it works fine so I assume there is a problem with mine. Do you need me to return the defective disc or just hang tight? There was not nearly enough props for the Arizona Crew for all the work you guys did, thanks for everything. Orlando has there work cut out for them. Gil :smile:

I popped the DVD in one of my home DVD players when I got back from Mammoth...and it appears to work! I haven't had time to watch the whole thing, but I skipped through the chapters and scanned through some of the segments and it seems everything is indeed playable.

As for Randy's comments about the strobing...it appears to me that the interlaced field order is swapped from the beginning of the DVD up until the chapter featuring Prescott drive. A simple order flip would make that half of the DVD much more watchable...and, aside from this, the video quality looks good. I'm tempted to rip it to my computer and re-output the footage (though this would unfortunately swap the field order of the correctly playing titles, transitions, and any effects).

I did notice a couple of weird things in the Prescott chapter...a couple of the clips looked low-res.

Ah...the memories. Troubles aside, I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the DVD. Thanks again for putting this together.

I should have sent you a copy of the video beforehand Eric to get your feedback since you're very knowledgable in this area. I did notice the same "strobing" and mentioned it to the videographer in the versions provided to us before the copies were completed. He had initially told me this was done since they were preview versions to protect his content from being reproduced easily and that it would disappear before the master was produced. The last copy before the master he said it was gone and I mentioned to him that the "strobing" effect was still visible and he told me it wasn't present when he viewed it. :confused:

The footage is different on the Prescott drive in a couple of shots because they were taken by NeoNSX from my car during the drive. Neo was kind enough to allow him to use some of this in-car footage for the DVD since the videographer had nothing like it. I know that Neo's footage is pretty high-res, but it looks like somewhere when the videographer converted the format (I'm guessing, although you'd probably know better) it lost some resolution. He did provide the credit to Neo at the very end of the video in the credits.

I'm glad it did bring back some good memories.

Re: DVD Quality

Hi
Hope you don't mind putting in my 2 cents. Really enjoyed meeting everyone and the dvd helps to remember you all. But the videographer's quality on every level was disappointing. I only say this so for next year we can find someone with better credentials.

DVD-Rs are standard technology now, but some older players have trouble. Also they don't take kindly to dirt and scratches. It's the best thing until HD-DVD comes out. Even so, every copy doesn't always play well.

Examples of problems:
The camera work was very shaky. He had a hard time deciding what he was shooting, kept veering off to another person, another car then back again. The music was most distracting, overly loud and cheap production music everyone uses, so should just be softly in background. I'd rather hear the audio, especially during the dinners and presentations, but also the roar of our cars going down the track!

The DVD encoding got all messed up. That strobing in the beginning goes away later, showing he didn't set what's called 'field dominance' properly on the first section. It's not because of different cameras, and anyway, his own footage was better later on. He messed up. The master video should have been reviewed and problems fixed before replicating.

Anyway, there are a number of us in the club who've experience in this, so maybe next year we could discuss another way to do this. I for one would rather have more footage of us driving. Parties all look the same after awhile. Also it would have been great to tape the presentations in full, there's a lot of knowledge available.

Thanks for reading this

Bret

MrBret said:
I for one would rather have more footage of us driving. Parties all look the same after awhile.

I agree with everything you say except this. I think the videographer struck a good balance between driving and party footage. Driving kind of all looks the same after a while, too. I like the party footage, because I can sit back and see all my NSX compadres' faces.

MrBret said:
Hi
Hope you don't mind putting in my 2 cents. Really enjoyed meeting everyone and the dvd helps to remember you all. But the videographer's quality on every level was disappointing. I only say this so for next year we can find someone with better credentials.

DVD-Rs are standard technology now, but some older players have trouble. Also they don't take kindly to dirt and scratches. It's the best thing until HD-DVD comes out. Even so, every copy doesn't always play well.

Examples of problems:
The camera work was very shaky. He had a hard time deciding what he was shooting, kept veering off to another person, another car then back again. The music was most distracting, overly loud and cheap production music everyone uses, so should just be softly in background. I'd rather hear the audio, especially during the dinners and presentations, but also the roar of our cars going down the track!

The DVD encoding got all messed up. That strobing in the beginning goes away later, showing he didn't set what's called 'field dominance' properly on the first section. It's not because of different cameras, and anyway, his own footage was better later on. He messed up. The master video should have been reviewed and problems fixed before replicating.

Anyway, there are a number of us in the club who've experience in this, so maybe next year we could discuss another way to do this. I for one would rather have more footage of us driving. Parties all look the same after awhile. Also it would have been great to tape the presentations in full, there's a lot of knowledge available.

Thanks for reading this

Bret

Well, as opposed to most everyone else I guess you didn't enjoy the DVD, but I can understand you being more critical since you're in that field. I agree that the quality is not great and in an ideal world it would have been much better. No one ever said that the strobing was due to different cameras, only that the brief sequence in the Prescott drive is a different resolution due to different cameras.

The biggest thing that you must understand is that we do have to operate under severe budget limitations. The only reason we were able to do the DVD at all is because we found him at a very reasonable rate. I don't think you have to worry about this for next year because the rates are too high and you won't even have ANY DVD as a memento to remember the event.

Another thing is that we did review the DVD, as previously stated, before copies were made. There were quite a few changes that were made and others that weren't because had we elected to change them, it would have delayed the DVD considerably longer. There were also a couple of changes that he said would be made, the strobing being one of them, before the copies were made. Keep in mind this was only one portion of the entire welcome gift package that was included for NSXPO 2005.

I appreciate your comments and don't disagree with some of what you say, but I think you also need to understand what realities we have to deal with in this situation. We made every decision based on the information available to us and what we felt was best for all of the attendees. If anyone would like to volunteer to shoot the entire NSXPO and not have a chance to enjoy it, then I'm sure that could be arranged. Outside of that, I don't think you'll end up with a very high quality DVD production that encompasses each aspect in its entire duration, for an affordable price. Like I said, I don't think this coming year will even have a DVD at all (ours was the first attempt at this) due to cost issues.

Last edited:

Understudy said:
Well, as opposed to most everyone else I guess you didn't enjoy the DVD. I agree that the quality is not great and in an ideal world it would have been much better. No one ever said that the strobing was due to different cameras, only that the brief sequence in the Prescott drive is different due to different cameras.

The biggest thing that you must understand is that we do have to operate under severe budget limitations. The only reason we were able to do the DVD at all is because we found him at a very reasonable rate. I don't think you have to worry about this for next year because the rates are too high and you won't even have ANY DVD as a memento to remember the event.

Another thing is that we did review the DVD, as previously stated, before copies were made. There were quite a few changes that were made and others that weren't because had we elected to change them, it would have delayed the DVD considerably longer. There were also a couple of changes that he said would be made, the strobing being one of them, before the copies were made. Keep in mind this was only one portion of the entire welcome gift package that was included for NSXPO 2005.

I appreciate your comments and don't disagree with some of what you say, but I think you also need to understand what realities we have to deal with in this situation. We made every decision based on the information available to us and what we felt was best for all of the attendees. If anyone would like to volunteer to shoot the entire NSXPO and not have a chance to enjoy it, then I'm sure that could be arranged. Outside of that, I don't think you'll end up with a very high quality DVD production that encompasses each aspect in its entire duration.

Yeah!!! you tell 'em!!! The amount of work they put to create this DVD and the rest of NSXPO is incredible. Their is always one IDIOT who has to throw their "two cents" in that is uncalled for. (Comparable to going to a family dinner and telling your mother the meal sucks!!!)

I certainly didn't mean for my post to come off as confrontational, but I know most people don't realize all of the factors that come into play. The two biggest being budget and time. All of us on the committee work full time and put in tremendous hours planning and executing NSXPO. This was only one aspect of hundreds that had to be accomplished. I understand that MrBret's comments were geared towards making improvements in the future and I applaud him for that, but certain realities need to be understood also when talking about improving too.

We have received many, many fine compliments for the event and we had fun executing what I regard as a successful NSXPO. I understand everyone has things that they feel deserve a higher priority than were assigned and that's fine too.

I think you'll have people very much split on whether to focus on action/driving footage and party/social footage. I think it would be very difficult to capture a lot of good driving footage without multiple cameras. Some areas may be more conducive to this than others, including different track venues. At Firebird there were very few areas that were accessible to the videographer for footage. Actually driving and shooting can be done successfully, but there isn't an easy way that I know of. As it was we had some issues with our videographer being so intent on getting additional drive footage that he might have been a wee bit aggresive in getting forward in the pack.

Last edited:
Understudy said:
I certainly didn't mean for my post to come off as confrontational, but I know most people don't realize all of the factors that come into play. The two biggest being budget and time. All of us on the committee work full time and put in tremendous hours planning and executing NSXPO. This was only one aspect of hundreds that had to be accomplished. I understand that MrBret's comments were geared towards making improvements in the future and I applaud him for that, but certain realities need to be understood also when talking about improving too.

We have received many, many fine compliments for the event and we had fun executing what I regard as a successful NSXPO. I understand everyone has things that they feel deserve a higher priority than were assigned and that's fine too.

To add to Understudy's post, keep in mind that this was also the first NSXPO that even had a DVD.

Back