NSX vs. s2000

So ill be starting my new job soon, and im looking at between 38-42k a year. I have gone through a SR powered 240sx, FD rx7, and a MKIII supra. My current daily is a honda prelude im building for my little sister as her first car. Im now looking towards my future car and wondering which Is the better deal. either a 91-92 nsx, or an s2000. impracticality isnt a big factor for me, im 20 going on 21 on the 19th of this month, single, no kids etc etc. and from my previous cars, ive never really had a "practical" car. so my question to you guys, which will offer more of the following:

-Driving pleasure (given NSX-T's werent made till later)
-Reliability
-handling
-moddibility (if i were to go NSX it would be I/H/E/Nitro) (s2000 would be supercharged or turbo)
-overall appreciation of the car

thanks all. and yeah, this is my first post on prime :biggrin:

i would rate the nsx's "moddability" factor pretty low. parts are expensive, scarce, $$ to power ratio kinda sucks. oh and if you blow your motor... the bill is not a pretty sight.

I had a 2001 S2k, I sold it for a 95 NSXT. Both cars are about the same in term of speed. I wasn't happy with the 95, so I got a 03 NSX, which feels much quicker. I missed my old S2k, it is a little more fun to drive. Less worry factor involve, and cheaper to up keep. I'm in hunt for another S2k right now so I can have both.

S2k has less turbulance with the top down.

So... If you want a NSX, you should consider 97 and up, if not, S2k will do just fine in term of speed, and cheaper to live with.

Vancehu said:
I had a 2001 S2k, I sold it for a 95 NSXT. Both cars are about the same in term of speed.

I've driven an S2000 recently, and pushed it too its limits. It's one of the most enjoyable car i've driven, I'd like to own one as daily driver, but common' its no where near as fast as an NA1. Vance, I think your smoking to much hookah brotha :biggrin: lol

I miss the point of "hidden" costs as parts like wheels, bodykit, stereo... :D
The S2000 is much cheaper to maintain, NSX parts are not cheap at all. :)

Back to your five points: IMO the NSX is equal in all of them except one: driving pleasure. The S2000 simply has not the torque as the NSX has and torque is fun. :)

tiki240 said:
Im now looking towards my future car and wondering which Is the better deal. either a 91-92 nsx, or an s2000.
-Reliability
-handling
-moddibility (if i were to go NSX it would be I/H/E/Nitro) (s2000 would be supercharged or turbo)
You should drive both of them back to back and judge it for yourself, that is the best way to find out. NSX will make much more hp with NA bolt ons than a NA S2K with bolt ons. FI wise there is supercharger option for both. NSX have 40~50% more torque than S2k.

I love to have a stock bodied 04 S2k in black, they looks so good lowered. They are one of my favorite car.

I test drove this S2K with I/H/E a few weeks ago, I took it to redline every gear, it was fun. However it really felt a lot slower than a lightly modded NSX with basic weight reduction. Maybe there was something wrong with this S2K.
ss12.jpg

tiki240 said:
91~92 NSX is coupe only, you do not get the open top experience of NSX-T (almost like a convertible). What you do get in exchange is 100lb+ lighter curb weight (2985~3015lbs vs 3145lbs). Weight does matters, 100lbs is a lot.

91~92 do not have power steering, to some it is a plus, while for others it is a big negative.

Last edited:
Well I have both an NSX and s2000 so here is my 2 cents.

Owned the NSX for 4 years have a 91 low vin number. love the car simply the best on earth period. more expensive to maintain but also more rare. has more balls and no hesitation when hitting the gas. Depends on money situation though. Picked up 00 s2k in July love it. wanted a convertible and hey its the sister car to the big boy.

choice between both nsx
but if not enough money when something needs fixing you better go s2k.

email me at [email protected]

I too have both, the NSX is great to drive, the S2000 is better to throw about.
But unless it is a sunny day and I want a real drive then the S2000 stays on the driveway.

Planning to fit a Vortech S/C to the S2000 soon so will re-compare then :)

Vancehu said:
I had a 2001 S2k, I sold it for a 95 NSXT. Both cars are about the same in term of speed. I wasn't happy with the 95, so I got a 03 NSX, which feels much quicker. I missed my old S2k, it is a little more fun to drive. Less worry factor involve, and cheaper to up keep. I'm in hunt for another S2k right now so I can have both.

S2k has less turbulance with the top down.

So... If you want a NSX, you should consider 97 and up, if not, S2k will do just fine in term of speed, and cheaper to live with.

I'm with Vance on this. I had two S2000's an 02 and an 04. I really miss having one and the only problem I had was not driving my NSX when I had the S2000. I currently have an M3 along with my NSX and neither fills the spot of my last S2000.

Driving pleasure depends on what your looking for. I found the S2000 to be more fun on twisty roads ,but doesn't equal the NSX on the track ( if you plan on tracking it ). Reliablity should be equal to your Prelude, both are Honda's and meant to driven hard. Neither car comes alive under 5000 rpm.

As far as mods go on the S2000 you have to be careful it actually loses power quickly and mods on it are very expensive for the amount of hp you get per mod. Go with the supercharger over the turbo if you want a more reliable power source. NSX mods can be super pricey , but hey it wasn't a cheap car to start and I'm sure you wouldn't want cheap parts on it.

Since your young get a new S2000 with warranty ,then get yourself established ( i.e house ,tons of cash in the bank ) and then treat yourself to the NSX. Believe it or not insurance on both cars isn't too far apart with fuel economy pretty even , but the NSX has a bigger tank and will really surprise you with some really great hwy mpg.

tiki240 said:
So ill be starting my new job soon, and im looking at between 38-42k a year... Im now looking towards my future car and wondering which Is the better deal. either a 91-92 nsx, or an s2000. impracticality isnt a big factor for me, im 20 going on 21 on the 19th of this month, single, no kids etc etc...

The first question I have is how much are you spending on rent, food, insurance policies, and basic living expenses that allow you to have some fun. Unless you are going to be living at home with mom and dad, I don't see how you can afford an NSX or even modding an S2K.

You're young and you have more than enough time ahead of you to get into a NSX. If you don't have the reserves to pay for unexpected maintanence you are much better off buying a newer car for less money than a 15 yr old NSX. If you were making $50-60k before taxes, I'd say go ahead and get the NSX, but at your income level you really need to think twice about your next car.

DocL said:
The first question I have is how much are you spending on rent, food, insurance policies, and basic living expenses that allow you to have some fun. Unless you are going to be living at home with mom and dad, I don't see how you can afford an NSX or even modding an S2K.

You're young and you have more than enough time ahead of you to get into a NSX. If you don't have the reserves to pay for unexpected maintanence you are much better off buying a newer car for less money than a 15 yr old NSX. If you were making $50-60k before taxes, I'd say go ahead and get the NSX, but at your income level you really need to think twice about your next car.

I agree exactly. Get a cheaper used fun car or just a driver for a few years and save up and pay for one and have more disposable income for a while. Always heard a good rule of thumb was to earn at least twice as much as the total worth you have in cars (paid for-not your payment) and if payments, only have your total car payments be 25% of your take home pay. (same for your house)

Ive owned both.

Previously owned an 01 S2000, and Ive sung its praises at every opportunity. Id love to have been able to keep it, but I physically do not have room for more then one car for myself (wife gets one too).

An S2000 is WAY less expensive to mod. Probably half the amount for the equivalent parts. You cant get a CTSC installed in an S2000 for probably $5k, double that for the NSX. Used aftermarket with the S2000 is unbelievable it is so huge. Its small with the NSX.

Fun? I think that if I had the choice to have both cars at the same time, I think the S2000 would be ignored because its just a different class of car. But it is NOT less fun. If you consider the worry factor, I bet it is MORE fun. You can take out an S2000 and drive it like snot, it will put a huge smile on your face and then you can park it somewhere and not be as paranoid. At least I wouldnt be. Im uncomfortable with the thought of wrecking my 02 NSX on a track, but I take it there anyways. Id consider an S2000 much more disposable and I bet Id have more fun with it on the track because of the worry factor.

If I was in your position, I would go look for a deeply used, but much loved, S2000. Those cars are incredibly cheap for what you are getting and the tangible fun at the end of the day is incredible.

tiki240 said:
So ill be starting my new job soon, and im looking at between 38-42k a year. I have gone through a SR powered 240sx, FD rx7, and a MKIII supra. My current daily is a honda prelude im building for my little sister as her first car. Im now looking towards my future car and wondering which Is the better deal. either a 91-92 nsx, or an s2000. impracticality isnt a big factor for me, im 20 going on 21 on the 19th of this month, single, no kids etc etc. and from my previous cars, ive never really had a "practical" car. so my question to you guys, which will offer more of the following:

-Reliability
-handling

First of all, congratulations on the Prelude. :biggrin:

It seems like you have some working knowledge of car under your belt already, so if anything goes wrong you should be ok to fix it yourself. From your list of cars, I would say you probably have the local Pull-a-part on speed dial.

You already know an S2k is going to be easier and cheaper to mod.

If you decide to go with an NA1, I would recomend looking for a '93. According to Edmunds (or someone, i forget) 93 was the year all of the one "bug" was worked out.

I have driven both, and since you may be getting a turbo or supercharger it may not apply, but while driving the S2000 was fun, I could see it getting old having to wind it up so high everytime I wanted to drive even a little spiritidly. Second I hate, let me re-state this hate digital gauges.

Another thing to consider is, are you going to be able to put your car in a garage, I would hate to have my NSX sitting outside of a house or apartment building. I think I would be nervous about people, haters either messing with it or thieves. Also as stated before just because you can afford to buy one doesn't mean you can keep up with the maintenance. $1000-1500 for timing belt and water pump, $2,000 for a clutch. Modding isn't cheap either, $700 + for an exhaust $1000 - $1600 for headers.

I would say S2000 first. You'll get a newer vehicle and cost to maintain will be lower. Having said that I am on my second S2000 and selling it so I can get a NSX. Thing is I can afford it now versus before I couldn't.

I have a really nice S2000 for sale if anyone is interested. 2004 with 11500 miles, custom stereo system. PM me if interested.

In general, a kid like you may be better served being more practical with your money. Invest in appreciating, rather than depreciating assets that require ongoing maintenance expenses. S2000's and nsx's should be purchased with descretionary income.

If you live with your parents you may think you have money to burn. Don't burn it.

My advice is think about your future and speak to your parents before making this decision.

Bear said:
In general, a kid like you may be better served being more practical with your money. Invest in appreciating, rather than depreciating assets that require ongoing maintenance expenses. S2000's and nsx's should be purchased with descretionary income.

If you live with your parents you may think you have money to burn. Don't burn it.

My advice is think about your future and speak to your parents before making this decision.

I'm expecting this kind of comment. Well, make sure what you want and no regret in the future. People who "start" to drive a sports car in their mid life crisis and then realized they were too old to go tracking, and even driving fast won’t know what they missed. I would say, both nsx and S2000 is very nice sport car in stock form. IMO, mods can be added later. A lot of people who used to own a civic/integra/accord or even other makes of (not so sporty) cars will want to mod the car out. S2k and nsx really doesn’t need it until you have enough experience and driving skills. One thing about the cost of the nsx mods are that we have a very active used market. So invest your money wisely and if you take care of those aftermarket parts, you are likely to get some money back.

Everyone seems to agree that depreciation is a big thing on burning money on cars. Then in that case, nsx should be much affordable than any car you had in mind. Case in point, I bought mine 3 years ago at $26k, 94k miles. Now with 30k miles later, seems like the market value still would be around 22 -28k. Can't say the same if I had bought a S2k 3 years ago.

But then again, if you want to trade-in the nsx, you will only get offered anywhere from 11-17k at most. (dealer only goes with KBB value no matter what.) So make sure what you want to do with your next purchase first.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I'm expecting this kind of comment. Well, make sure what you want and no regret in the future. People who "start" to drive a sports car in their mid life crisis and then realized they were too old to go tracking, and even driving fast won’t know what they missed...

I don't think you understood what I had to say. I didn't say to wait until the "mid life crisis", I just said that maybe right now buying an NSX isn't the best thing to do. I waited until I was making a good, steady, income to buy my NSX. I owned 15 cars before I bought my NSX, and it was my daily drive for three years. Looking back now that I've owned it for six years, it was probably the best car that I've ever owned, and that's why I'll never sell it.

Back to the original question Tiki. What you should do is sit down with a pencil and pad and list what your current expenses are and how much you can afford to spend on a monthly car payment. I always had a fixed number that I didn't want to go over, not including insurance and gas, and that is how I was able to determine what car I could afford. It's important to enjoy your earnings, but not at an expense where you have to worry if you can make the next payment. The good thing about being young is that your income level will go up the older you get. At the ripe old of age of 38, I'm able to afford and enjoy many justified toys.

Wow, thanks for all the input so far guys. It's very much appreciated. I've taken many of the things stated into account. Especially the fact that I can buy an s2000 for ~16-17k in my area vs. a 93 nsx for 27k. maybe if i toss up some of my expenses you guys can guide me further.
living expenses ~1200/mo thats rent,cable,cell, elec., food, heat
very nice upscale neighborhood check out http://www.portwarwick.com my family owns a buisness there so my rent is nice :D .
right now my credit is rated at "above average" and my insurance is only about 78/mo on the prelude thanks to my good student discount. and my job comes with full benefits i.e. health/dental/etc and up till now ive been a dependant of my father (military). ::shrug::

btw, i mentioned where i lived because the crime rate is currently zero. and the property value is skyrocketing.

Last edited:
tiki240 said:

-Reliability
-handling

Hello! I have both the NSX and the S2000 ('91 NSX, '94 NSX, '02 S2000) and they are both a blast...so you will win no matter what. :)

The '94 NSX is my daily driver and I like it because it has more interior room in it than the S2000 and feels more spacious (I am 6 feet tall).

Here are your answers: ;)

-Driving pleasure -- I smile EVERY DAY when I get in the NSX. Nothing better. Just try prying me out of this car. The S2000 is great for dropping the top and carving up mountain roads. Big fun.

-Reliability -- The cars are bulletproof!! Take care of them, they will take care of you. Simple as that.

-handling -- NSX and S2000 have their own personalities. NSX is a pure exotic that you have to pay attention to drive, the S2000 is like a huge go-kart. Rewarding to drive, but will bite your a$$ if you do not watch it. Both are HUGE smile producers and I like their pure sports car personalities.

-moddibility (if i were to go NSX it would be I/H/E/Nitro) (s2000 would be supercharged or turbo) -- Have your wallet ready!! Modding the NSX with quality parts is not cheap. Significantly more than the S2000. Both are fun, but the NSX will cost you twice as much to mod.

-overall appreciation of the car -- I appreciate both...that is why I have kept them. They each are appreciated for their own reasons, and if you do not appreciate those reasons you should not buy the car. People that own and love them know what I mean. Neither car is a drag strip queen or a torque monster, but both are pinnacle's of engineering that reward the driver with more smiles per mile than almost any other car I can think of for that cost. If you are near me let me know and you can try them out back to back. Good luck! :)

NSXDreamer2 said:
Everyone seems to agree that depreciation is a big thing on burning money on cars. Then in that case, nsx should be much affordable than any car you had in mind. Case in point, I bought mine 3 years ago at $26k, 94k miles. Now with 30k miles later, seems like the market value still would be around 22 -28k. Can't say the same if I had bought a S2k 3 years ago.

But then again, if you want to trade-in the nsx, you will only get offered anywhere from 11-17k at most. (dealer only goes with KBB value no matter what.) So make sure what you want to do with your next purchase first.

Just to clarify, a dealer will quote different blue-book values to people depending on the situation, giving the impression that there is one KBB value. Generally KBB values are a convenient way to get those trading in their car to think it's worth as little as possible...and to get people buying cars to think they're worth as much as possible.

For example, KBB says a 1993 with 124k miles in my zip code is worth...

Retail: $28,075
Private Party: $19,475-$23,075
Trade In: $14,625-$18,175

If the dealer can get both parties to buy the quoted KBB value, they would turn a $10k-$14k profit.

I find NADA to be a little more honest in terms of value, based on lots of data collected, without a biased agenda. The values they present to consumers (online, in consumer version of NADA Guide) are pretty simple...

Retail: $25,525-$30,350 ($28,600avg) - per web site

The Guide they sell to professionals (all dealers I know use this guide) lists three different average values from which you would then add or subtract based on miles and class of car (NSX is in highest class) and obviously condition...

Retail: $28,450
Trade-In: $25,525
Loan: $22,975
(~130k mileage is considered normal for a car of this age)

So, if I had your car and it was in good condition, I would expect around $25k from a dealer for trade-in...and I would expect that a bank would be willing to loan me around $23k (loan value I think approximates wholesale - what the bank would expect to be able to get for the car at auction if buyer was a deadbeat and they had to repo).

Back to the core of the topic of S2000 vs NSX...

I think an older used NSX will hold it's value on a percent basis much better than a newer S2000, which will probably be offset by cost of maintanance...so overall cost of ownership will probably be similar between the two.

The posts RE being wise with money are dead-on. I work with a guy in his 50s who nicknamed an old (nothing spectacular) sports car of his (bought new/newish in his early 20s, doesn't have any more) as his $200k-mistake ($200k being how much it ultimately cost him to buy the car instead of invest the money).

I wouldn't suggest buying an NSX (or any car over $5,000) unless you're debt free (minus debt on things that appreciate, like real estate), can pay for the car/NSX out-of-pocket (not taking on debt on depreciating asset), and have already been in the habit of saving for retirement for a couple years (and this won't impact what you've put away or ability to continue putting away). I know lots of people who bought nice cars in high school or college and really hurt themselves financially in the long-term by doing so.

I've driven both and would recommend NSX over S2000 for someone who is going to purchase one or the other. A friend of mine ("WillErickson" on prime) used to have an S2000 and sold it to get an NSX. When I went on a recent S2000 drive (4 NSXers showed up) I heard several in the S2000 owners say they wish they could afford a used NSX (if they could afford 2004+ S2000 I'm not sure why they thought they couldn't afford an NSX).

I also prefer the NSX coupe (don't like convertables, removable tops, or even driving with the windows down except at a track with a helmet on) so some opinion points on "driving enjoyment" would be different between me and the poster...who may come to a different conclusion on which car for various reasons.

Last edited:
Back