No matter what else....will this keep you from owning the NSX?

on the other hand there are plenty of americans who will only buy american..many wealthy corvette owners are testament to that.

This is pretty much something you will have to accept if you're going to buy one. In 2016-2017, there are other options for a "Made in Japan" Japanese flagship car, but not a Honda one.

Last edited:
I only read the first post here but I can tell you some really cool stuff is built in Ohio :)

I have no issue with it being built here. Not only because it is right up the street but it also brings American jobs back. I can tell you the process they are going through to determine who will be in this factory will make sure only the BEST OF THE BEST touch this car. I think quality will be impeccable much like the first version.

I think some posters are confusing American made with American designed and American managed.
Toyota Honda BMW etc have all demonstrated that their designs, their engineering, and their management style using American workers make as good a car as anywhere on the planet.
American design, engineering, and plant management have given the American brands the bad name not the location of the plants.

Another benefit of having the NSX built in Ohio (at least for us Canadians), is that there will be no import duty on the car. This should hopefully save 6.1% on the price and keep the Canadian price close to the US price. Hopefully.

Another benefit of having the NSX built in Ohio (at least for us Canadians), is that there will be no import duty on the car. This should hopefully save 6.1% on the price and keep the Canadian price close to the US price. Hopefully.

Not sure I follow this....Acura of Canada hoses it's customers big time on the '14 MDX built in Alabama.

Yes I am sure the majority of us would like the car to be built in the Tochigi or Suzuka R&D plant in Japan. Looking on the bright side and trying to be optimistic about it being manufactured in the US, is that we "might" get the NSX-R version of the 2nd gen NSX. Why didn't we get the 1st gen Type-S or the NSX-R?

Yes I am sure the majority of us would like the car to be built in the Tochigi or Suzuka R&D plant in Japan.
I'm not sure of that at all. Seems more likely to me that a majority of us either don't care or like that it's being built in the US.

Can you be specific?
Is there a significant price difference.

Top spec 2014 MDX model in CA

$65,990 + $2120 (freight, levies, PDI) = $68,110 before local sales tax (if any) & lic etc

Top spec 2014 MDX model USA

$56,505 + $895 destination = $57,400 before sales tax (if any) & lic etc

There may be a little difference in equipment because of Canada regulations, but basically $10K up-charge in CA for the same vehicle.

USA Acura dealers cannot/will not sell NEW vehicles to Canadian residents is my understanding.

P1020207_zpsb7016160.jpg~original

Last edited:
This is from a manual transmission lover to dual clutch owner.....Try the DCT BMW or PDK from Porsche. 1st let them shift automatically full throttle - then do the same drill in manual mode at redline.

Believe me, it is just as engaging + quicker.

Most who pan the manumatics have never driven one.

Speaking from experience, I have driven many 911's, Cayman, M3's, a few Ferrari's and Lambo's. My opinion stems from a personal preference of Rowing Gears which translates to more involvement; hence, the overall driving experience is much more rewarding.

Regardless how much faster an Automatic, (PDK, DCT), can shift than a human, that is completely beside the point.
At the end of the day, it's an Automatic.

Happy Motoring :)

Speaking from experience, I have driven many 911's, Cayman, M3's, a few Ferrari's and Lambo's. My opinion stems from a personal preference of Rowing Gears which translates to more involvement; hence, the overall driving experience is much more rewarding.

Regardless how much faster an Automatic, (PDK, DCT), can shift than a human, that is completely beside the point.
At the end of the day, it's an Automatic.

Happy Motoring :)

W/ both the 2013 M3 & 991S, had the choice whether to go 6 or 7 speed manual (respectively) vs DCT & PDK. 1st off, neither manual transmission shifted anywhere near the precision of the NSX. Both felt "rubbery/sloppy" w/long throws for lack of a better explanation.

The latest versions (2013 up) of both double clutch autos are worlds apart from the earlier versions. I understand your position, but I own one & am happy.

W/ both the 2013 M3 & 991S, had the choice whether to go 6 or 7 speed manual (respectively) vs DCT & PDK. 1st off, neither manual transmission shifted anywhere near the precision of the NSX. Both felt "rubbery/sloppy" w/long throws for lack of a better explanation.

The latest versions (2013 up) of both double clutch autos are worlds apart from the earlier versions. I understand your position, but I own one & am happy.

You certainly bring-up a very valid point which I agree with completely. Comparatively speaking, of all the 911 C2, C2S, Turbo or M3's I have driven, (Manual), all had long throws. The "rubbery/sloppy" throws in the M3, (IMO), were the worst when compared to the NSX. I would say my bias stems from the precision and pure enjoyment driving the NSX in-terms of my overzealous stance in regards to the 'Manual vs Manumatic' discussion. :)

Last edited:
The build location would not effect me at all. IMO, The company's culture builds the car. Be that engineering, manufacture or assembly. I think the NSX is an exotic but it's not a Ferrari or Lamborghini (thankfully in some respects, sadly in some others).

If anything, based on my manufacturing experience in aerospace, the last place on earth I would go to manufacture would be Italy (no disrespect intended, I am of Italian heritage and do know some good Italian suppliers but if I were to pick from a hat by country, Italy would be very low on my list). That said, it depends on the company so I bank on the company's culture.

Summary: I don't care where it's built.

The quality of discussion and argument on NSXPRIME is refreshing and confidence inspiring:)

Most here feel that where the next NSX is made will not matter to them.
Let me ask them this to see if they really mean what they are saying.

If the next NSX cost $130,000 of your hard earned money.
It was being made in Japan and the US at the same time for the same cost.
You had the choice to pick one.
Made in Japan by Honda Motor Company. Made in US by Honda Motor Company.

Which will you pick?

Which will you pick?
So they're sitting side by side, same color, same options, same floor mats, same amount of gas in the tank, same fake pine tree air freshener hanging from the mirror? Everything is equal?

I'll take the one American workers were paid to assemble.

So they're sitting side by side, same color, same options, same floor mats, same amount of gas in the tank, same fake pine tree air freshener hanging from the mirror? Everything is equal?

:encouragement: Yep. I like the way you think. I think there would be little, if any, difference in built quality. Certainly no difference in engineering/design quality.

Honorable, patriotic sentiment.:cool:

However, do you know the mentality of the Japanese workers? Do you know how seriously they take their job? It is not just a matter of slapping some pieces together between 8-5 for them. Their pride and dedication are legend. There is a reason Japanese cars are the most dependable cars in the world. That is the reason your '95 Brooklands Green Pearl has given you 72,000 miles of Smiles.

Do you want your fabulous 2015 Acura NSX with mind boggling technology and performance be put together by people who are trying [very hard] to be as good as the Japanese workers?

Do you want to know that the 99% of the car that you cannot see, the nuts and bolts and wiring and the thousands of details of assembly were done at each step by people who take their job as seriously as their life or by someone who used to be putting corvettes or vipers together and now has graduated to the NSX?:rolleyes:

Multiple MDX generation 1 & generation 2 MDX owner (all built in Canada - no problems) since 2002 & recently purchased (10/13) a new $50K +2014 Acura MDX (generation 3) built in Alabama USA in September 2013.

Here is how the driver's side rear door aligns with the rear fender. At least a 1/4" mistake & no way to adjust the door. Passenger side fits fine. Otherwise the car is OK.

I know it was only just over fifty thousand dollars + TTL, but this Acura was made in the USA in a state-of-the-art plant.

My "Made in Japan" NSX's were purchased new starting in 1994 and not one issue ever with any of them (5)...

P1020218_zps07f0d20c.jpg~original

Last edited:
Honorable, patriotic sentiment.:cool:

However, do you know the mentality of the Japanese workers? Do you know how seriously they take their job? It is not just a matter of slapping some pieces together between 8-5 for them. Their pride and dedication are legend. There is a reason Japanese cars are the most dependable cars in the world. That is the reason your '95 Brooklands Green Pearl has given you 72,000 miles of Smiles.

Do you want your fabulous 2015 Acura NSX with mind boggling technology and performance be put together by people who are trying [very hard] to be as good as the Japanese workers?

Do you want to know that the 99% of the car that you cannot see, the nuts and bolts and wiring and the thousands of details of assembly were done at each step by people who take their job as seriously as their life or by someone who used to be putting corvettes or vipers together and now has graduated to the NSX?:rolleyes:

Question..... why are people assuming that the people building the NSX will be American. Is it beyond reason that the assembly crew might be imported? Last time you had to qualify to be on the NSX assembly line. Is there any reason they wouldn't do a best of the best again with their most expensive car ever??

"Hey Robert we need you to pick up some assembly on the NSX line today after you finish with the Civics" Bwahahahaha

Back