New XXR 527

Here's a pic showing that stepped lip that I was talking about. That's not a pin stripe.

IMG00927-20110808-1146.jpg

The suspension on this car is still in pieces so I can't really get a good pic showing measurements or clearance, but I'll try to get to it soon.

I think people were most interested in front tire pics so here they are. The front fenders are stock. Tabs have been cut and I'm not running any fender liners.

IMG01109-20111006-1135.jpg

IMG01108-20111006-1135.jpg

IMG01110-20111006-1145.jpg

IMG01107-20111006-1135.jpg

Specs for those interested

Front camber ~ -.5deg
17 x 8.25 +36mm
215-40-17 tires
comptech springs on stock shocks from a targa

The rears are 255-35-18 which are too small IMO. a 275 would be perfect on there.

It's hard to see, but looking down from the top on the fronts, the rims do stick out past the fender a few mm, but the tires are stretched and fit right in. I think at -2 or -3deg camber, they'll tuck inside just fine for lowered cars. As you can see the front on mine isn't lowered much and I don't have any problems tooling around town at all.

Also I should mention that the mounting pads are pretty thick. I had originally planned on a 5mm spacer out back, but I'm going to stick with it as is.

I hope this helps any who are on the fence. I didn't get a chance to weigh them, but they're not that heavy. The tire makes up a lot of the weight

Last edited:
I'll try to take the car out and get some rear shots this weekend. As for the ride height, I won't be changing it. Perhaps it will attract less dudes this way :wink:

Seriously though, the 17/18 setup just looks like this compared to 18/19 . Especially when the car has aftermarket side skirts/front bumper. It's possible to go a bit lower on 18/19 and still have decent ground clearance, but I think that missing 1" of suspension travel is really important for cornering on the street (ie on/off ramps that aren't smooth like a race track) and I'm willing to look slightly uncool for that extra 1" of travel.

The taitec fenders are really rounded towards the rear since they are designed for the stock bumper, but here are some pics

18 x 9.75
255-35-18
around -2.5deg camber

IMG01188-20111016-1546.jpg

IMG01186-20111016-1545.jpg

IMG01187-20111016-1546.jpg

30mm supposedly at the top of the arch (the widest part)

[edit] I guess I should mention, but the groove / stepped lip is a bit of work to clean. I may just not bother cleaning it in the future and let it look like a dark pin stripe. Also if you're not using splined lugs, I would suggest them. I'm using short 17mm open ended lugs and my thin walled socket does come in contact with the paint in the lug hole.

Also the wheels do accept the standard run of the mill hub centric ring size if you're the type to run those. I had an old set from my S2000 (from 949 racing 17UL) and they fit right in. I'm sure you can find the specs from their website if you need it.

Last edited:
Someone from norcal with a stock bodied NSX please drive over to d.n.'s place and try these on :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'll pitch in for the beer and the pizza!

Note: The rear sizes *should* be the same as the set I tried on months ago. However, I did mention the set I tried was a prototype so i don't know if XXR made adjustments to their sizing. I doubt it.. but one can never be sure with prototypes.

That sounds about right at 25-30mm further out. It appears that d.n could use a 20mm spacer and that would match the flushness of the front wheel to fender. Also d.n is not as low as most Primers.

I am inclined to think that the production runs will fit just as the prototypes did on RYU's car, unless you have toyed with the camber too much or you are not ~1.5 inches lowered.

Hey what size rims do you have what is your offset? Did you stretch the tire? And did you lower your car or put difrent springs on? I wanna try to get this to work with stock hight and stock springs/ stiffness will it work??
RYU?

- - - Updated - - -

here's to probably the most anti-climactic post in recent prime history. FWIW, it just rained and the wheels had a healthy coat of grime on them.

IMG_20110221_125619.jpg

IMG_20110221_125739.jpg

IMG_20110221_125745.jpg

IMG_20110221_125802.jpg

IMG_20110221_125843.jpg

IMG_20110221_125904.jpg

EDIT: Added pics to verify tire size.

Hey what size rims do you have what is your offset? Did you stretch the tire? And did you lower your car or put difrent springs on? I wanna try to get this to work with stock hight and stock springs/ stiffness will it work?? Love your nsx

Last edited:
Not everybody can afford 2k+ wheels. At the end of the day it's no different than putting say cheap intake.
I see your point here but.. let me point out, your wheels are the only connection your car has with it's tires and the road, they get the most beating.
I've seen plenty of cheap good looking wheels fail, some cracking and warping from minor curb damage but I've even seen them loose pressure due to brake heat on a mild autocross event (the cast quality was so shit the bolts even got loose:eek:)

There are quite a few side by side comparisons that show the difference in structural integrity.

$650 for a set is dirt cheap though :eek: (scary cheap)

I see your point here but.. let me point out, your wheels are the only connection your car has with it's tires and the road, they get the most beating.
I've seen plenty of cheap good looking wheels fail, some cracking and warping from minor curb damage but I've even seen them loose pressure due to brake heat on a mild autocross event (the cast quality was so shit the bolts even got loose:eek:)

There are quite a few side by side comparisons that show the difference in structural integrity.

$650 for a set is dirt cheap though :eek: (scary cheap)

I tracked regularly on a set of XXR 522s and had no issues (note my Avatar picture).
Keep in mind the XXR wheels are both JWL and VIA certified, so they have been tested and deemed safe by the Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan & meet the requirements for the Japan Light Alloy Wheel standard to be driven on their public roads. So they are definitely safe for standard road driving. I can understand why you might have reservations for serious track & autocross, but my experience has shown otherwise thus far.

At least we're all not putting WARM air intakes on our NSXs! lol

Oh.. wait...................

But it's cold outside! Nothing like a nice warm, peppermint mocha warming up our air intakes.. (with a little bit of egg nog...shhh don't tell the boss)..

I tracked regularly on a set of XXR 522s and had no issues (note my Avatar picture).
Keep in mind the XXR wheels are both JWL and VIA certified, so they have been tested and deemed safe by the Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan & meet the requirements for the Japan Light Alloy Wheel standard to be driven on their public roads. So they are definitely safe for standard road driving. I can understand why you might have reservations for serious track & autocross, but my experience has shown otherwise thus far.
I see your point with the certifications, now XXR does look legit but I've seen a few of these wheels have JWL & VIA cast in to them but those ended up being nok-off that weren't approved.
I don't have anything against budget wheels as long as they are safe and aren't coping a design from a other manufacturer.

Back