NBA Playoff thread

Definitely hoping that Green recovers and signs back on to the C's. It's almost easy to forget that he was on the roster (again, sort of). I'll be curious to see what moves Danny pulls in regards to KG and Ray Ray. It hurt watching Ray's press conference speech last night, you could just see that he knew it was over.

Yeah he and doc were almost in tears. I haven't seen NBA players so sad like that, I guess they had a real special bond with doc rivers. He's a very good coach, respected and loved at the same time. In all my years of watching all kinds of sports I've never seen a team bond as closely as this group of celtics players.

Is Rose done? :eek:

It's not an official announcement, just conjecture on my part. His doctor said 8-12 months recovery. The injury happened April 28. That puts his return in January at the earliest late April/early May the latest. Even if we split the difference and say he returns in March, what value would that be? I say there's more risk in him playing.

His biggest asset in recovery is that he's only 23. My concern is he's a "power point guard" meaning his game relies on his explosiveness and athleticism. Knee injuries like Rose's are a death knell to explosive athleticism. This is not to say I think he can't be as he was, prior to injury. However, history has shown us that knee injuries can change a player (Chris Paul),derail a career if rushed to return (Greg Oden). My opinion is that his best bet is to sit out all of next season because the Bulls won't be contending for a title without him for a majority of the season and he won't be to full form to put them over the top.

Yeah he and doc were almost in tears. I haven't seen NBA players so sad like that, I guess they had a real special bond with doc rivers. He's a very good coach, respected and loved at the same time. In all my years of watching all kinds of sports I've never seen a team bond as closely as this group of celtics players.

Agreed. I could tell early in the game that Ray wanted this game badly. He had that extra spring in his step and he was the only one of the Big 3 that didn't looked gassed at the end of the game. Doc's job with this Celtics team convinced me of his ability as a coach. He always seemed to get the most out of this group of guys, dealing with a major injury every season after the '08 title team.

Agreed. I could tell early in the game that Ray wanted this game badly. He had that extra spring in his step and he was the only one of the Big 3 that didn't looked gassed at the end of the game. Doc's job with this Celtics team convinced me of his ability as a coach. He always seemed to get the most out of this group of guys, dealing with a major injury every season after the '08 title team.

I think Doc is a top tier coach and underrated. The only knock I have on him is that he could do a better job of managing minutes. Popovich is a great example of how it can be done. But Doc certainly did more that he should have with the thin, injury ridden roster he had. Great season, too bad it couldn't have been more.

Personally, I think the Celts got robbed in 2010. Lakers win on a Ron Artest 3? Really? That had to stick in their craw a long time, it would have added to their great 5 years together.

I think Doc is a top tier coach and underrated. The only knock I have on him is that he could do a better job of managing minutes. Popovich is a great example of how it can be done. But Doc certainly did more that he should have with the thin, injury ridden roster he had. Great season, too bad it couldn't have been more.

Personally, I think the Celts got robbed in 2010. Lakers win on a Ron Artest 3? Really? That had to stick in their craw a long time, it would have added to their great 5 years together.

I agree with everything you said.

Congrats to Miami on winning this year

Congrats to Miami on winning this year

Screw Miami... Stop being a good sport and learn how to be a sore loser. OKC sucked. At least the celtics took them to a 7th game. Without a bench.

Screw Miami... Stop being a good sport and learn how to be a sore loser. OKC sucked. At least the celtics took them to a 7th game. Without a bench.

I agree, screw Miami but you need to learn to be a good sport since all your Boston teams are on a down swing.:wink:

I agree, screw Miami but you need to learn to be a good sport since all your Boston teams are on a down swing.:wink:

The only thing on a down swing is your tallywhacker... :biggrin:

I understand why many people can't stand Miami BUT... Did you seriously think a bunch of 23 Y/O kids with little playoff experience, no true point guard/Center had a chance of winning against them?

I understand why many people can't stand Miami BUT... Did you seriously think a bunch of 23 Y/O kids with little playoff experience, no true point guard/Center had a chance of winning against them?

If Boston was healthy, they would have beat the heat. Ray Allen was on one leg. Heard he may wind up at Miami next year.

Yeah actually. After seeing the Thunder offense pick apart the Spurs defense, then the Thunder locking down Tony Parker, I thought them beating the Heat was a done deal.

Consider that Durant is the best scorer in the league (3 years running), Westbrook not only breaks down defenses, but completely turns them into shambles, then his backup (the Beard) does the same thing, but gets to the rim even better. Then you have Ibaka, arguably the best shot blocker in the league, and Perkins who is a good paint defender roaming around the rim. THEN, with the exception of Perk, they are all 23 or younger, so they can out run and out last the Heat, which ironically, their big three is considered young and athletic.

You basically had a team that could out athletic the Heat, plus they have the pieces that the Heat are missing. Honestly, they only thing the Thunder didn't have was LeBron. And well, we saw how that went.

I watched Bird and Magic at the end of their careers. I watched Jordan tear apart the league, and my NY Knicks, all through the 90s. I have to say Lebron is a better all around player than Jordan or Bird, and maybe even Magic.

After the way the Thunder handled every playoff opponent they played this year, OKC looked like the obvious favorite. Especially considering how the Heat squeeked past the Eastern division.

Now, james being a better overall player than Jordan, Bird, or Magic? No.

Especially considering how the Heat squeeked past the Eastern division

You mean the "aging" Celtics. If the celtics had just a little bit of bench help (they had almost none because of injuries), they would have beat Miami. They didn't even have a healthy big 3.

After the way the Thunder handled every playoff opponent they played this year, OKC looked like the obvious favorite. Especially considering how the Heat squeeked past the Eastern division.

That was my consensus, I mean they just barely beat the Celtics... It came down to just a few minutes in Game 7 too. Harden only showed up for one game in the finals and I think overall they finally felt the pressure of where they were.

It's good that they lost, now they know the feeling of where they will want to be again. I can't stand the Heat but it's hard not to love LBJ. He played his heart out each and every game and deserves this. I'm sure OKC vs. MIA will be a regular finals matchup.

Well, this is obviously up for some debate. But the numbers already show much of this to be true. After watching Lebron for 9 years, he does things that Bird certainly couldn't. A couple things Jordan couldn't, like defending every position, and is a better passer. Now Magic on the other hand... tough call there. He is 27 now, probably will retire around 36, maybe longer if he adds a good jump shot. That is another 9 years. That's a lot of time.

I hear 'ya and am mostly in agreement. I think it was ESPN that stated, according to the numbers, that james had the best playoff run of anyone. However, one good playoff run doesn't erase a history of bad decisions (especially in crunch time) and apparent mediocre basketball IQ. Maybe this championship will change him a bit and give him more confidence? Only time will tell but I'm just not ready to jump on that wagon - especially considering the big three that you named.

If Boston was healthy, they would have beat the heat. Ray Allen was on one leg. Heard he may wind up at Miami next year.

You mean the "aging" Celtics. If the celtics had just a little bit of bench help (they had almost none because of injuries), they would have beat Miami. They didn't even have a healthy big 3.

Still the sore loser. You need to move to SoCal soon as you have said you may. The beautiful weather and women will make you happy again. Obviously living in Boston has made you an angry and unhappy person.:wink:

The only thing on a down swing is your tallywhacker... :biggrin:

Well it does swing way down low.:biggrin:

Last edited:
You need to move to SoCal soon as you have said you may. The beautiful weather and women will make you happy again. Obviously living in Boston has made you an angry and unhappy person

I will let Ted speak for me here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kpVM9aBn9DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I will let Ted speak for me here:

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kpVM9aBn9DE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

ROFLMFAO.

So when you moving here.

There is absolutely NO WAY that OKC had a chance. Don't get me wrong... I was rooting for OKC b/c I like Durant but never expected them to win. I saw something in Lebron when he took over game 6 in Boston. It was pretty clear that he was focused and determind to win this year. Nothing was going to stop him. Certainly not an inexperienced team with no true point guard and little inside game.

BTW Dave, is this you at a Celtics game?

http://youtu.be/mOHkRk00iI8

Last edited:
Back