• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you let the NSX just sit???

it's funny, this is my 8th year I owned my nsx.

I think I love the car more and more, but I'm not as "babying/spoiling" the car as much...

1st year i have it, my trusty accord became a garage queen. nsx had to be parked outside of the garage, but no matter, it got washed every couple days and waxed every other month.

then track day starts and modifications started... it has gotten more attention, the car is less compromising for bad roads, then it got into accident (drunk guy kicked the panel.)

A month later, stupid dude who worked in our warehouse complex backed into me, as he claimed he didn't see me, (no shit, you are backing behind a parked cargo trailer)....

there comes the longest parting since I owned the car... no worries, everything's fixed, and the accident was only scratch all the way from front to back, not even dent. but you know how relationship goes.. Now I did't get to drive the nsx everyday.

My driving skills are better as I get to the track more, all the sudden speeding in a nsx is a norm. and it's not fun anymore to drive "only" double the speed limit.

Then I came to a relization of why risking my beloved car if I can't have fun driving it.? (worry about getting thrown in jail / i'm on local news station)

It gets to sit in the garage more... then interesting things happened, as most of you, like me, won't let the car sitting in garage with dirty. I was not afraid to taking the nsx out in bad weather... (It had seen everything.) But I just won't take a boring drive in bad weather after I detailed the car for couple hours??

Then since the car gets to see track more; priorities in the car changed too. I haven't turned it to full track car yet, but lowered the car with 3.5 inches off the ground is definately barely streetable.

I put 3k on my car since may. I love to drive it. two weeks ago i did 250m in one day.

great times in the car, and i love every mile i put on it. i dont get greedy with them and plan to stick to <4k a year but thats just b/c i have 4 cars and dont get to use everything at once.

As much as I love to drive my car I can understand why a person would want to keep the miles low. I like to keep mine fairly low too - it has almost 48k on it. I've had it over a year and I guess I've put about 5k on it...something like that. I drive it to work some and I drive it on my fun loops on the back roads - but not enough. If I don't drive it to work, well I wouldn't drive it enough. I understand that driving it to work is kind of a waste and now I'm driving it less.

I think I will put about 3k a year on it and try and save it somewhat. Low mileage 91s are going to be rare and I've got one so I'll kind of keep it reasonably low. But it is just so much fun to drive - it sounds so good and having a car that sits in the garrage all the time -well that's not for me. If I found one like the guy with the 04 with 8k miles on it or whatever - yea I'd consider myself lucky to have it and I'd drive it and say thank you to the guys that saved it for me! Yes sir - thank you very much now I can drive it plenty and still have low miles on it after many years. 3k miles a year will surely keep it lubed and ready to rock - mine is in Atlanta and we've got good weather here all year - with few exceptions and winterizing it is not necessary - thank goodness.

I buy my sports cars to drive not to collect. I'm not a collector but I guess I am one of sorts cause all of us only keep our cars a certain time and therefore we are really care takers of these machines. I don't intend to wear it out but I surely intend to drive it at the same time. There is a happy medium I think I've found it.

These cars are truly meant to be driven = not set up and looked at - I mean why have it - some folks might like knowing that it's perfect all tidy under the cover and wash it, wax it to pieces and put more time in keeping it beautiful than driving it. I know some like that = but this is a modern car - if you have several maybe you can have one to look at and one to drive. I know a guy that has one M5 to track and one that's a nice car = great if you have that ability. But for those of us that are only fortunate to have one special car then the fun is "sho nuff" in the driving - it ain't no fun to look at it when you know how much fun it is to drive - that would kill me. I love to drive - some don't care - never really let it rip - just take care of it and poot around - man when I drive mine for fun - believe me I have some fun!

I hope we all enjoy our cars - that's what it's all about and that means different things to different people. For me it's the thrill I get behind the wheel and then I can tell myself I'm Senna for just a little while!!!!

Last edited:
I'm still a couple months short of 2 years of ownership and i've already done 10k miles. I doubt my daily driver has even had that many miles put on it in the same time period.

i'm definitely struggling with this right now. I typically drive around 30-35k miles/year, and i'm having to fight the urge to take the car out *every* time i leave the house - especially for long, boring drives on the freeway every morning.

Getting the car polished and clear bra'd this weekend, though, so at least I won't be as worried about rock chips and such being kicked up by trucks on the freeway. Even so, I still plan to try to limit my usage to around 5k/year. Let's see if i can stick to the plan :biggrin:

I drive mine as much as I can but I to own 5 cars so X doesn't get that much love at times

I have owned a couple cars also. dont laugh but here my list

my first car was a Brand new 88-89 I cant remember Oldsmobile Cutlass Ceira auto hand me down but it only had 12K miles on it when my parents gave it to me.

then a 1993 Honda Accord LX 5-speed manual still have it its been converted to an SE dual airbags CUT the Moonroof myself lol lots factory though, leather new engine to the F22A6 engine with a whopping 145hp yummy the old F22A4 shit the bed. it sits in my drivway with a car cover cuz the paint is so GONE. but I start it up every week and drive around for 20 minutes to keep her engine working good. while driving this ugly car I see people look at me and smile, thinking that poor guy in his old beat up accord. little do they know I have an NSX at home. do they sell bumper stickers that say that?

next is my 1995 Acura Legend. auto with a whopping 200HP. the works heated seats black leather etc. SE 16" legend rims yeah it sits at my parents house in their driveway broke the timing belt destroyed the heads, had it rebuilt 3K later it drives like a champ though its paint is fading like my accord. weird why didnt Honda Paint their other cars with the same FIRE as the NSX 22 step process ?

then I found a 1999 Honda CBR 900 RR got that for 6K it wasnt that bad but had lots of issues, had that for about a year, my parents do-not like motorcycles, my mother suspected I had a bike but never seen me drive it. they were outta town, so I was at their house watching TV and eating free food LOL, they came home early, my mom says whos bike is that I said a buddy let me borrow it.
she said get rid of it, bike or your inheritance you pick. got rid of the bike
a few weeks later. let me tell you bikes dont sell very fast. you get a bike your gonna take a hit if you wanna sell it fast.

next was 1999 Accord LX. 5-speed converted to an EX, added leather,added Moonroof myself I pretty good at it though the 93 Accord came out better. with a whopping 168 HP I think. LOL
the day prior I paid it off this lady in a Cadillac T-boned me.
since I just paid it off it still had FULL coverage so they gave 8500 bucks for it. I should have kept it but I was starting to get to many cars and no where to put them so I told Progressive to take it. I was sad.

So I took that 8500 check and my savings of 5K and went down the the Acura dealer and got a Used 2005 Acura TL /Navi 3.2L 270HP (auto no 6 speeds on the lot) it had 18K miles. drove the shit out of that car. got in a minor fender bender in the front repainted looks great.

then I find my 1992 NSX 5 speed it was 21K with 115K miles in North Carolina called the guy still had the car on his lot, it was a Thursday morning called 3 banks to get a loan
" we cant Finance a car thats over 6 years old no matter what kind of car it is" f-it oh well not gonna get it went to sleep. my GF at the time tells me she was friends with the Family of a small town Bank Owner in South Dakota.
she called him chatted him up for almost an hour on friday got the money transfered to Our Bank Of America Account. what we learned about that is if your a Bank of America customer and your account isnt set-up to get wired funds they will not give you your money. long story on that one
called the guy told him we were on our way will be there around 5-6 that day. didnt get there till 8pm, But I had left him messages all the way there. we are in Savannah, we are in Columbia, now we are here. lol
drove it home and loved it all the way there.

then I find a 2008 TL type-s Navi ( auto )etc. same color as my 05 NH603P i think
was in Alabama with 21K miles still factory warranty, for 21K drove all night with the 05 TL Navi, drove home with 2 white TL's. it was funny she was in the front I was in the back, it looked like a scene from Iraq regarding
"BLACKWATER"

theres my owner ship record.

I know its not a fab as you other guys, with 911, Jags, BMW's but I have really been a Honda guy all my life. so there's why I am so about the NSX.

I am working on getting an Acura Vigor manual I love those to.
I love anything Honda.

this was a rant sorry but its was a FUN read huh.

grammar isnt my thing. Computers are!

but get out there and drive your cars guys. live your life fast and FUN

I don't have a choice!

Well mine is parked the garage since the end of October.
This morning it is -27C (-20F) and the road out front of my house is under a snow/ice pack and the pavement will not be visable again until April.
I get 6 months of really good NSX driving and one more of not that great.
The great part is I completely detail the car before putting it away for the winter and every spring I get that brand new car feeling. Yes, I get a brand new NSX every spring.
'91 with 37,000 miles.
My wife does the same with the S2000. New car every spring! '02 with 26,000 miles.

a couple of 4X4 for the winter.

Last edited:
I used to drive mine a lot, but the miles don't really rack up when your to/from work commute is 1.6miles. :biggrin:
I just got a yellow lab who goes to work with me every day, so the NSX hasn't been drivin as much the past few months.

Ok a little off topic but, do y guys cancel your insurance coverage when the car is in storage? U won't get multi car discount but doesn't matter much..

What do you do with insurance when in storage? Cancel or keep?

Ok a little off topic but, do y guys cancel your insurance coverage when the car is in storage? U won't get multi car discount but doesn't matter much..

My car is in storage now and the storage people actually required the car to be insured.

You want to keep at least Comprehensive coverage on your car even in storage since that segment of your policy covers things like fire, theft, vandalism, etc. If you cancelled the policy entirely or removed the car completely you'd be SOL if it was lost in a fire. Obviously you don't need collision or injurly liability if the car isn't being driven.

As to the original question. I bought a high mile car for two main reasons:

1) It made the initial purchase feasible without financing
2) There is no chance of feeling bad about driving it as much as possible. No additional miles I add are contributing to depreciation.

If you have a car with just a few thousand miles on it, it may still be investment material...not much fun, but whatever. Oh well, I just don't have the "collector" mentality. So far I've had a buy-fix-drive pattern to car ownership.

I'm pretty sure if you cancel your insurance you need to surrender your tag also. Your carrier will notify the state when you cancel.

I'm pretty sure if you cancel your insurance you need to surrender your tag also. Your carrier will notify the state when you cancel.

That will vary by state and will also depend on how your company approaches it. It may not be the case if you suspend all coverage except Comprehensive vs. removing the car entirely. You should check with your insurance company/agent for specifics.

I try to drive it everyday. My commute is pretty short so the miles are ok. I put on some 11k miles on the NSX every year, give or take. However, I also realize that if I come back to it after a couple of weeks of my Prelude, I savor the ride so much more. With the new suspension, the drive is becoming more fun now.

My thinking is CA will likely make it problematic to drive old cars. At that point, I'll see if there are solutions to swap in an electric car guts into the NSX and keep the chassis same. Till then, I think I'll just enjoy her. She's only at 90k now, long way to go to catch up to Hugh and the like.

This thread strikes a real chord with me. I am guilty of doing this very thing and I'll explain why.
I have always been a car nut and always wanted this car. When I got married, the wife understood and never had a problem with my desire to get one. So, when I finally decided to pull the trigger and get one, she was all for it. I had the car for a few months and really enjoyed it. I kept the car totally stock and was very happy with it that way. Well, we decided that we wanted to do a few home improvement projects around the house and needed some $$ to do it. I voluntarily chose to sell the car and use the profit from it to pay for what we wanted done.I went about a year or so without having one.
We went on vacation to CA and I saw a bunch of them out there and once again started having the urge to have one. Once again, the wife understood and told me to get one. I found one and got it and then the mod bug starting biting me. That turned out to be a very big mistake.
I decided that the car wasn't fast enough for me so I, along with 49 or so other owners, decided to purchase the BETA kits of the BBSC. A few months after installation of it, the car suffered catastropic engine failure. So then began the onslaught of phone calls, emails, etc. in efforts to reach Mark Basch to help solve the issue. This failure occured in February and I was hoping to have a solution or some type of answers by March. Needless to say, that didn't happen. The car sat motionless in my garage for the next 6 mos while MB played games with me. Then, finally, I got approval to have the car repaired only to have it then sit in shop for another 3 mos for a variety of reasons none of which were the shops fault. So, I was paying insurance AND car payment on it for 9 mos and couldn't drive it no matter how badly I wanted to.
Once I did get the car back, I just didn't feel the same about it any longer. I did still enjoy driving it but I lost the passion for it that I held so dear for so long.
Then, my DD got stolen and I was forced into using the NSX as a DD. While that was neat at first as I always got to drive it, it soon got to be burdensome. I couldn't go to grocery store, home improvement stores, shopping or anything that would require me to have to purchase anything of any real size.
So, after about a month of driving it full time, I borrowed a vehicle from my parents that is more practical. After having it for a couple of weeks I started feeling real guilty about it. I was using one of thier vehicles because I didn't want to drive mine. Wasn't fair to them or to me. So, I then gave myself 2 weeks to find and purchase another DD.
I finally did decide on what I wanted and found it in February of 2009. Upon bringing it home, I completely forgot about driving the NSX. Sure, I would walk by it many times a day but never really had the desire to want to drive it any longer. The car sat for 6 mos before I had decided to drive it again of any real distance. Since it was just sitting and not being used, I decided to remove it from my insurance. Finally, when the tags were to be renewed, I added it back to the policy so I could get them done.
Now, I make myself drive it to work about once a week or so but if I don't, I don't find myself missing it.
Think maybe it is time to sell it ?

I drive mine everywhere and back, plus it does it's track duty.
To the OP the way I make my self feel better after I put it away for the winter, is by doing upgrades.
That always helps, this winter will not be exeption.

Actually I can't wait To take it apart!!!

-MSR

Wow what a heart breaker story! I never knew all that about your car, I just knew you weren't driving it. You really had kind of a reason not to drive it.

After reading all that and now knowing you and your situation a whole lot better - I understand completely that in the words of BB King - "the thrill has gone away - has gone away for good". Sad but true and if I were you that car would be sold. It's time my friend - sometimes there is no other way to deal with things like that and I know a thing or two about that.

Sorry to hear it but I surely understand - one day you will have an urge for a sports car again. Maybe it will be an NSX and maybe it will be something new - I understand that too - I like diversity. Wish I had room and the money for a stable.

Good luck selling if that's what you decide but it sure sounds like that's what you want to do. All the best!

This thread strikes a real chord with me. I am guilty of doing this very thing and I'll explain why.
I have always been a car nut and always wanted this car. When I got married, the wife understood and never had a problem with my desire to get one. So, when I finally decided to pull the trigger and get one, she was all for it. I had the car for a few months and really enjoyed it. I kept the car totally stock and was very happy with it that way. Well, we decided that we wanted to do a few home improvement projects around the house and needed some $$ to do it. I voluntarily chose to sell the car and use the profit from it to pay for what we wanted done.I went about a year or so without having one.
We went on vacation to CA and I saw a bunch of them out there and once again started having the urge to have one. Once again, the wife understood and told me to get one. I found one and got it and then the mod bug starting biting me. That turned out to be a very big mistake.
I decided that the car wasn't fast enough for me so I, along with 49 or so other owners, decided to purchase the BETA kits of the BBSC. A few months after installation of it, the car suffered catastropic engine failure. So then began the onslaught of phone calls, emails, etc. in efforts to reach Mark Basch to help solve the issue. This failure occured in February and I was hoping to have a solution or some type of answers by March. Needless to say, that didn't happen. The car sat motionless in my garage for the next 6 mos while MB played games with me. Then, finally, I got approval to have the car repaired only to have it then sit in shop for another 3 mos for a variety of reasons none of which were the shops fault. So, I was paying insurance AND car payment on it for 9 mos and couldn't drive it no matter how badly I wanted to.
Once I did get the car back, I just didn't feel the same about it any longer. I did still enjoy driving it but I lost the passion for it that I held so dear for so long.
Then, my DD got stolen and I was forced into using the NSX as a DD. While that was neat at first as I always got to drive it, it soon got to be burdensome. I couldn't go to grocery store, home improvement stores, shopping or anything that would require me to have to purchase anything of any real size.
So, after about a month of driving it full time, I borrowed a vehicle from my parents that is more practical. After having it for a couple of weeks I started feeling real guilty about it. I was using one of thier vehicles because I didn't want to drive mine. Wasn't fair to them or to me. So, I then gave myself 2 weeks to find and purchase another DD.
I finally did decide on what I wanted and found it in February of 2009. Upon bringing it home, I completely forgot about driving the NSX. Sure, I would walk by it many times a day but never really had the desire to want to drive it any longer. The car sat for 6 mos before I had decided to drive it again of any real distance. Since it was just sitting and not being used, I decided to remove it from my insurance. Finally, when the tags were to be renewed, I added it back to the policy so I could get them done.
Now, I make myself drive it to work about once a week or so but if I don't, I don't find myself missing it.
Think maybe it is time to sell it ?

If your like me (semi-broke lol), buy a car of equal class in regards to sexyness like ferrari or lambo or R8. Then drive it till first major maintaince mark. Pay the fat bill. Suddenly the nsx isnt looking too bad after all.

My car is a daily driver. It rains, it snows, I drive, simple as that. I know some owners choose to keep their cars out of the weather, but for me that just doesn't make sense - I get a lot less pleasure looking at my car than I get from driving it.

For me, having a beautiful car I don't drive is like having a beautiful wife I don't take to bed. Pretty to look at just doesn't cut it. :biggrin:

Darren.

The perspective gets narrower on this issue. Some of it, in my opinion is because the owner structure has changed a little over the years. There are more "single car" NSX owners now than before, and that's why this question re-surface every other month. The truth is, Many of NSX owners have more than the NSX to drive. Some have more than one high-end sports cars in their garage. In those cases, they did not just "let it sit"; they choose not to drive it or enjoy their NSX with combining other driving experiences. They use their S2000, R8, M5, M3, IS-F or other cars that may be equally fun, and the driving experience often becomes more interesting and exciting when they're once again in their NSX. They also choose to use other vehicles when the weather is bad enough to hurt their NSX. Personally I don't drive mine to work when I know it's going to be hailing with marble-size ice cubes. There are also more than a few of us here have two NSXs, and they also own other cars at the same time. So no matter what they do, one or more than one of their NSX(s) must "sit in the garage". What's wrong with that? Nothing. There is a difference between have and have not a choice; can and cannot afford, and what one could do and would do.

Back