GTR... Can't do it

S4play hummels Nissan in des Moines has a white black edition they are selling for sticker. Give them a call and ask for chip ghiles and tell him Jason from North Dakota sent ya. Really awesome sales guy. No pressure no bs, even a cheap doc fee. Only 90! Lol

I'm seriously eyeing this one: 2013 white GTR with a few thousand miles:Quote]

Go for it. I had a chance to drive the 13 and compare it to the 09 and 12 back to back at Laguna Seca and the 13 felt really better in drivability and performance.
One thing: this guy is asking $93.5K but i have read on Nagtroc, about new cars going for a small discount below MSRP in the midwest and the southeast. Perhaps you can still pickup a new 13 for just a couple of thousands more.
And by the way, keep the NSX , it is always good to have a refined dinosaur in the garage. I am keeping mine:smile::smile:

Yes this is one of the main reasons I can't decide - best offer I've gotten is $2k under MSRP so roughly $96k for a new one or a slightly used one for a few grand less. Of course the Black series is more.

You know the gtr is only a 2+2 on paper right? Just like the 911? The rear seats are completely useless, except maybe for small and medium dogs lol. I know password jdm makes a carbon fiber rear seat delete if it really bothers you guys.

Those +2 seats are the reason I'm on my 2nd 997. Totally come in handy if you've got kids. I love having the option just in case. I'm glad Nissan kept them in there.

I've stuffed 2 adults with 2 children and a lap dog in my 997 when I was in a pinch (I had to ride shotgun and let the lady drive because the seat would have been too far back... but it worked) ... something my NSX could have never done. You single guys probably can't appreciate that. :wink:

Ideally you own an NSX and a GTR (as some do) :)

Last edited:
S4play hummels Nissan in des Moines has a white black edition they are selling for sticker. Give them a call and ask for chip ghiles and tell him Jason from North Dakota sent ya. Really awesome sales guy. No pressure no bs, even a cheap doc fee. Only 90! Lol

I missed this earlier - thanks for the tip!

My hometown is only 4 hours from Des Moines so I could take a road trip easily back home if I wanted to pull the trigger.

Is the Black series any more performance or just the wheels and red accent interior? I prefer the premium wheels and don't like the 2-tone interior so if those are the only things different I will probably just buy a Premium and save $9k.

thanks!

Those +2 seats are the reason I'm on my 2nd 997. Totally come in handy if you've got kids. I love having the option just in case. I'm glad Nissan kept them in there.

I've stuffed 2 adults with 2 children and a lap dog in my 997 when I was in a pinch (I had to ride shotgun and let the lady drive because the seat would have been too far back... but it worked) ... something my NSX could have never done. You single guys probably can't appreciate that. :wink:

You got that right! Any sports car has limited practicality. The GTR happens to be a bit more functional than the NSX, but it too has limitations. I'm happy not to have backseats in my NSX, as it gives me an excuse NOT to take my car out for lunch when my coworkers want to go somewhere with crappy parking. Plus I love having a car that tells the world it's all about me. :D

Last edited:
2+2's do work... if you are tall, they are more like 2+1's... but it will do for short trips if you have short people among you.

the differences between black and regular are the trim, the wheels, and Recaro seats. power is the same.

2+2's do work... if you are tall, they are more like 2+1's... but it will do for short trips if you have short people among you.

the differences between black and regular are the trim, the wheels, and Recaro seats. power is the same.

thank you! I plan to swap the seats and wheels so those don't matter to me.

The +2 for me is just for baby seats or in a crunch to squeeze one more adult for short runs around town. Otherwise I'll just drive my other cars...

sounds perfect then.

honestly, there aren't enough changes to warrant me getting a new one... i would get a used one for under $70k and spend a little bit on mods to surpass the newest one's capabilities. i guess the only concern is the tranny being abused by the previous owner.

I missed this earlier - thanks for the tip!

My hometown is only 4 hours from Des Moines so I could take a road trip easily back home if I wanted to pull the trigger.

Is the Black series any more performance or just the wheels and red accent interior? I prefer the premium wheels and don't like the 2-tone interior so if those are the only things different I will probably just buy a Premium and save $9k.

thanks!

It's mostly cosmetic, wheels, interior, and dry cf spoiler. Although I like the leather used on the BE. Seats better. I don't mind the two tone interior too. Wheels always go... But I don't mind them.

sounds perfect then.

honestly, there aren't enough changes to warrant me getting a new one... i would get a used one for under $70k and spend a little bit on mods to surpass the newest one's capabilities. i guess the only concern is the tranny being abused by the previous owner.

While the extra $10K IMO are not justifyable for the BE (wheels, seats and trim) , the differences between the early cars ( I have one) and the newer '12 and '13 are significant. When you add them to the lack of warranty exposure, I would argue for spending the extra money if you have it. I am not sure if you drove both cars back to back or if you are speculating. I drove them all both on the street and on the track. If I had not purchased the extended warranty for my 09, I would have traded for a '13.The good thing about the 09 is the small depreciation. For people who paid MSRP of $72K, a depreciation of less than $10K in 4 years is outstanding.

While the extra $10K IMO are not justifyable for the BE (wheels, seats and trim) , the differences between the early cars ( I have one) and the newer '12 and '13 are significant. When you add them to the lack of warranty exposure, I would argue for spending the extra money if you have it. I am not sure if you drove both cars back to back or if you are speculating. I drove them all both on the street and on the track. If I had not purchased the extended warranty for my 09, I would have traded for a '13.The good thing about the 09 is the small depreciation. For people who paid MSRP of $72K, a depreciation of less than $10K in 4 years is outstanding.

Excellent points, I keep forgetting the 09's MSRP was only $72k so you're right that a $10k depreciation in 4 years is amazing!

For some reason the '12 and '13 don't hold their value as well. I've seen a few Black series with super low miles going for roughly $92k. Whereas the same '13 model Premium which MSRP is $98k still sell for roughly $90k. This is great news for a potential buyer like myself :)

I've driven 09, 10 and 2011 cars all on the street. It seems the 2012+ is dramatically better so I'm pretty excited now.

s4play, the 2013 Black Edition comes with an ALL exposed carbon fiber $10k spoiler. Makes the price of the NSX R spoiler look cheap. :biggrin:
I was in the same situation as you, I didnt like the BE wheels, and there was no performance enhancement to the motor to justify a 10k price increase. It's all cosmetics.
You can do complete bolt-ons (Turbo outlets, downpipe, midpipe, catback, and intake) with a Cobb tune for around 6k and net 75whp and 90lbs of torque to the wheels, and pocket the 4k in leftover cash.:biggrin:

Turbo2go (Dave), I am more than happy to give you a ride/drive in my 13', all you have to do is wear a Lakers jersey.:wink:
And the tradeoff is I get to ride in a supercharged NSX, to see if it fits my needs or go the turbo route.

I gave Adam a ride and he was quite impressed. It looks like I am always giving a ride to Silver NSX owners. :biggrin: Dave PM me and we'll hook up.

Question for you guys that do not like the BE wheels... do you not like TE37s?

I see a lil bit of TE in the BE wheels... i just wish they didn't have the silver lip on the BEs.

gtr16.jpg

Question for you guys that do not like the BE wheels... do you not like TE37s?

I see a lil bit of TE in the BE wheels... i just wish they didn't have the silver lip on the BEs.

gtr16.jpg

Some folks have compared the BE wheels to those that the Mitsubishi Eclipse's used to have, so perhaps that might have affected their perception regarding the aesthetics of the wheels.

For me personally I like the standard DBA/CBA wheels better than the BE wheels, but understand the benefits of the BE wheels. The wheels on the SpecV made sense given the CCB and the non-adjustable suspension, for the BE it just makes the car look unique compared to the premium version of the car.

For the R35 I prefer the VRG2 over the TE37 or the BE wheels. If I was the owner of a BE it would be a different story though given the uniqueness of the package on the car.

At the end of the day swapping wheels on a R35 is a $6000.00~$7000.00 proposition for most folks who are not able to get wholesale pricing on the wheel/tire packages.

See GTR's regularly (nearly daily) i really dislike the monsters proportions of the GTR
Certainly if you see it in a line up with its siblings R32,R33,R34.

As far as AWD GTR's go i prefer the R32 or R34
but the only GTR i'd buy would be ether a C100 or C110

classic-monster.jpg

1971-datsun-skyline-gt-r-clone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm debating a R35 vs another NSX myself.

I have to admit, it's hard to throw stones at a R35 when the prospect of owning one dramatically increases. The rear seats, the performance, the awd and overall modernity of the package is really tempting.

However, then you get behind the wheel of an underpowered, obsolete NSX and all bets are off... :cool:

^I think the Performance + rear seats is a huge draw factor for any guy who has kids!

I've been shopping used R8 v10 spyders for quite some time and was going to pull the trigger later this year with wife's approval but that would mean in our garage we would have 3 cars with only 2 seats each. So 50% of our cars would be useless for the kiddies and so I'm heavily considering a GTR as my 3rd toy so it's not really a family car per se but can be used to take my 2 kids out on daddy days :)

Yeah, I know Rick, but I have 3 kids, so that's a moot point with me since if all 5 of use can't go out, it might as well be a 2 seater :biggrin:

Doesn't the sheer mass bother you? I does to me. Ugh. The R34 is only 1.5 years away from being legal in Canada. Do I wait? Mind you if I pick up a 34 it's likely going to be a Nur, which is still 3 years on. A R35 will come and go by then. If I pick up another NSX I'm quite certain it will be my last one. The last NSX I owned completely stole my heart and kaiboshed my plan to get a (then) all new 2009 R35 for my 40th birthday present. I had the first reserved car coming to Canada. :cool:

Yeah, I know Rick, but I have 3 kids, so that's a moot point with me since if all 5 of use can't go out, it might as well be a 2 seater :biggrin:

Doesn't the sheer mass bother you? I does to me. Ugh. The R34 is only 1.5 years away from being legal in Canada. Do I wait? Mind you if I pick up a 34 it's likely going to be a Nur, which is still 3 years on. A R35 will come and go by then. If I pick up another NSX I'm quite certain it will be my last one. The last NSX I owned completely stole my heart and kaiboshed my plan to get a (then) all new 2009 R35 for my 40th birthday present. I had the first reserved car coming to Canada. :cool:

Wow 3 kids means your choice is easy - get an X5M or new M5 :biggrin:

When you have 2 kids like me, it seems one of them will always be with me so having that extra space is a huge plus. I agree it does feel very big when I drove it. The car looks wide and especially fat from the rear but that is part of the appeal. It's definitely the Goliath in any comparo and in some ways has the sheet metal of an American muscle car.

It's not the prettiest shape for sure but at this point if I get an R8, it will sit in the garage next to my NSX 99% of the time. I really want a use-able sports car I can enjoy and the GTR is the only choice besides an M3. I'm thinking if I can find a low mileage 2013 GTR for around $85k, I won't lose much if I sell it later since mileage wise I average perhaps 4-5k per year at most.

I did shop a Porsche Panorama and X5M / M5 but all of those are way too expensive right now.

M5...had an E60. No more.

M3...been there, done that with a E46 (you too). Meh.

NSX is looking realy good, esp a 2002+ style like yours, but yeah...even 2 seats in the back makes it more liveable. Style is so meh, but the idea of crushing almost everything else on the road gives me a tingly feeling... :cool:

Yeah, I know Rick, but I have 3 kids,

3 KIDS!! Simple solution - downsize to two. You can donate or sell. Either way... the money saved wil easily buy you whatever you want!:wink:

M5...had an E60. No more.

M3...been there, done that with a E46 (you too). Meh.

NSX is looking realy good, esp a 2002+ style like yours, but yeah...even 2 seats in the back makes it more liveable. Style is so meh, but the idea of crushing almost everything else on the road gives me a tingly feeling... :cool:

I was just watching this video and the exhaust note is pretty enticing (have to filter out the easy listening music though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aucfAA3lU8

2012 Black Series with 5k miles, small minor mods and the guy wants $90k to make the deal happen....hmmmm, seems like a pretty good deal!

Back