Ferrari 348ts and Acura Nsx

I only got to drive the 360 Spider for a couple of minutes, but it was great. I am not a big fan of the F1 tranny though. I would get manual. I did ride in the car for about 25 minutes before driving it, and it has a really great sound. The ride quality is about the same as the NSX. The seats are better in the NSX as are the ergonomics. Actually cruising on the highway at 80MPH was a lot more quiet than i expected. While the car feels faster than the NSX (and I know it is quite a bit faster than my stock 93), it didnt feel that "MUCH" faster. More like just louder. I could definetly feel it had more power over 60 Mph and enough to keep your pressed in your seat until redline. That being said, Luds CTSC NSX felt a lot faster than the 360. I would rather just put a supercharger on and save the 200K
smile.gif

Allan is dead on about pricing. It may be worth the 165K it retailed at, but paying 250+ for a used 360 is nuts. (the one I drove was a 2001 w/ 600 miles and he paid 270K!)

As for the SV lines on the diablo, I think they are cool.. All SV's have them and it makes the car special. Allan, can you tell me some of the differences between the european SV and the US version? I didn't even know they were street legal here. I know the european version weighs less and gets rid of a lot of nice things like leather seats. etc.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 30 November 2002).]

I was unaware the 360's price had risen that much. Even with the cash, I am not convinced the price is worth admission over an NSX supercharged or not.

Regarding the NSX styling and the 348, Automobile magazine interviewed Honda in 2/89, here is an excerpt: Honda is noncommittal about the car but says if it does produce a sports car, "it will have Ferrari 348-style/ performance." I also am confident Ferrari was not at all pleased with the styling similarities, intimating a law suit.

Any consideration of the BMW Z8? Wonderful styling again and decent praise in the press.
Alas, currently I don't know anyone who owns one, to drive it. Not being much of a "German engineered automobile" fan, especially Porsche`, I would accept a free Z8 as a gift for the holidays.

Netviper, regarding the lines on the sv, I guess I am very much a purist.

The Lambo is a beautiful car in an of itself, so to me, those lines are akin to putting tattoos on the Venus Demilo.

Just my opinion of course, that's why it's a beautiful country.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.

I dont agree on the similarities between the 348 and Nsx. Two totally different cars.

As or the Z8, i spent considerable time in one, and in my opinion, its a horrible car, maybe a worthy replacement for the Z3 atmost.

allan...

are we talking about the same thing? you mentioned a worthy replacement for the Z3... do you mean the Z4 or are you saying the Z8 is that bad that it should be compared to the Z3?? If so, that is disappointing..

Originally posted by NetViper:
I only got to drive the 360 Spider for a couple of minutes, but it was great.
While the car feels faster than the NSX (and I know it is quite a bit faster than my stock 93), it didnt feel that "MUCH" faster.

It's not THAT much faster than your stock '93. Typical test times for the 360 Spider are 4.6 0-60 and 13.2 in the 1/4 mile (Car and Driver 4/01), each about 0.6 second slower than your stock '93 NSX (and approximately equal to the typical test times for a '97-02 3.2-liter NSX). While this is a significant difference, it's not Viper/Z06/996TT territory, either.

Originally posted by ALLAN:
Im saying the Z8 is that bad, it should be compared to the Z3. I dont like the look, the ride, or the power. It is very lacking in all areas.

The Z8 has the 394 hp engine from the M5, in a body that's almost 600 pounds lighter than the M5. Typical acceleration times (per the same issue of Car and Driver quoted above) are 4.6 0-60 and 13.0 in the 1/4 mile - faster than Road & Track (12/94) got from the Lamborghini Diablo VT. Do you really think it is lacking in power?

In case anyone's not familiar with the Z8 - with an MSRP of $132K, they only sell a few hundred a year, so you don't see them on every street corner - this is what they look like:

85360.jpg

85357.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 December 2002).]

I want to see pics of the 348
biggrin.gif

BTW I just joined the club with a 328
biggrin.gif

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (finally the daily)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina"
1997 NSX "Nina"
1998 Ferrari 328 GTS "Alissa" (new!)
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

I dont know about you, but 6/10 of a second slower is a huge difference.

On the Z8 note, its not very fast, does not feel much faster than a M5, and in my opinion is rather dull. For 132,000, id find many alternate routes to spend my money, including an Nsx.

I notice you wrote a 1998 328? Alissa is a good name, thats my wifes name. How do you like yours so far? Ive had both a 328 and a 308 before, they were both great cars. Ill take pics of the 348 shortly.

On the Z8 note, its not very fast

Maybe not... however, you'll note that while you were posting, I was looking over and editing my post above to note that the Z8 is faster than a Lamborghini Diablo. So I guess the Diablo must be really slow, huh?
biggrin.gif

I notice you wrote a 1998 328?

Yes, that's odd. By 1998, they were making the F355, and the 328 had been out of production for quite a few years.

Alissa is a good name, thats my wifes name. How do you like yours so far?

I hope he likes his wife so far... but I bet he doesn't tell her that using the words "so far".
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 December 2002).]

Smonop Honda was talking about the Nsx compared to the 408 all wheel drive concept car that was built in 1987 and was featured on the cover of Road and Tracks December 1988 issue. The cars looks a lot a like but the 408 never made it to production so there was no law suit.

Yes, that's odd. By 1998, they were making the F355, and the 328 had been out of production for quite a few years.

oops I meant 88 typo when I wrote my sig. As you prob can see, the years decrease...

I cant comment on the car as of yet, as just put a downpayment on it today
tongue.gif
with pickup when 30k service is complete and the weather is nicer.

It seems hard to drive for me: no power steering, no abs, werid ergonomics...but then again I never love ergonomics/ the overall feel until I I get used to it...give me a couple weeks and then I can tell you for sure.

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (finally the daily)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina"
1997 NSX "Nina"
1988 Ferrari 328 GTS "Alissa" (new!)
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

I think the Z8 is faster than most diablo's except for the SV and the newer 6.0 (which are FAST!).

The Diablo VT was always about 4.7-5.0 from what I have seen.

The lambo probably has an advantage 60-100 I would think.

I dont really care for hte looks of the Z8 either. Its OK, but not a 130K car IMO. I also HATE the interior. The gauges in the middle makes NO sense to me and it makes the car look worse. I never thought the Z3 was a very good car either. However, the M coupe was a blast to drive, even though it looked like a shoe!

Haha, a Z8 is faster than a Diablo. 1st, we staged some roll on races with my old 92 Diablo against a Z8, and the Z8 was not even close. Dont put your faith in magazine articles, since most Diablos tested are privately owned vehicles and not abused. I was at Moroso Motorsports Park during a test of a 91 model against a Ferrari f40. The Diablo clicked off consistent 12.40-12.50's at 119-120mph. This was the basis of a car and driver article. Any Diablo will walk a Z8.

I have to agree with Allan here. I have seen some great time for the Diablo in quite a few magazines, and I figure it would really put a hurting on a Z8.

Haha, a Z8 is faster than a Diablo. 1st, we staged some roll on races with my old 92 Diablo against a Z8, and the Z8 was not even close. Dont put your faith in magazine articles, since most Diablos tested are privately owned vehicles and not abused. I was at Moroso Motorsports Park during a test of a 91 model against a Ferrari f40. The Diablo clicked off consistent 12.40-12.50's at 119-120mph. This was the basis of a car and driver article. Any Diablo will walk a Z8.

Allan, does that mean you abuse your devil?
wink.gif
BTW how did the F40 fair?

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

Haha, a Z8 is faster than a Diablo. 1st, we staged some roll on races with my old 92 Diablo against a Z8, and the Z8 was not even close.

The VT was not a fast 0-60/1/4 mile machine. If you want to say it is because magazines never drive them hard, then you have your opinion.

Most VT tests are 4.7 + to 60, and yet the Diablo 6.0 is like 3.6. Somehow I dont think that is someone going easy on the car.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 02 December 2002).]

The f40 turned a 12.20@122mph.

Netviper, the early Vt's are still capable of low to mid 12's @ 115mph, with 0-60 in the low 4's. If you read the articles of all the three major magazines that did the reports on the 6.0, youll see that Lamborghini invited them to see what the car can do, and the test drivers ran them, the way they were supposed to be driven.

[This message has been edited by ALLAN (edited 02 December 2002).]

I have that video on order and should be here anyday. I have no doubt that on a close track the nsxr could stay with a murcielago. The murcielago's size would be its biggest hindrance, along with its weight. the Nsx-r is meant to be a track car, the murcielago is not. Give the murcielago a nice straightaway, and watch the Nsx disappear.Also, id bet the Nsx drivers have a little more practice behind the wheel of the Nsx, than the Murci.

I like this allan, made me laugh:

from ferrarichat:

"Where can i get these "Silverstone Chips"? Also, i am in no way trying to compare this cars speed and performance to my Diablo. Im comparing it to my stock 91 Nsx. I want it to be atleast as fast as it is."

smile.gif

the early Vt's are still capable of low to mid 12's @ 115mph, with 0-60 in the low 4's.

Funny, I just don't believe that.

If you read the articles of all the three major magazines that did the reports on the 6.0, youll see that

...they never achieve numbers anywhere near the ones that ALLAN is quoting. Gee, I wonder why?
rolleyes.gif
Maybe it's because they really are slower than a BMW Z8 - which means that, according to ALLAN, the early Diablo VT is REALLY SLOW.
laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 December 2002).]

See Nsxtasy, the difference between you and me is that I have the experience behind the wheel of both cars to make a real observation. You can only make bogus observations on your silly beliefs. I have thousands of miles drive time in Lambos, and atleast a thousand drive miles in a Z8. How many do you have? Thats what i thought. A Z8 will get walked all day, by any Diablo.

Netviper, please dont act like you caught me doing something sneaky, i already posted here, in truth that i felt my Nsx was faster than this 348. Do i regret my buying decision? Absolutley not! Car gets better and better each day.

Back