Ferrari 348ts and Acura Nsx

ALLAN

Suspended
Before you guys start huffing and puffing, i have sold my Nsx. Even though some of you may think im not and Nsx fan, i really am and will miss this car. I am now looking for a 348Ts for my wife, and have starting doing some research. One article i found was from car and driver, may 1994 and on the bar graph comparing the Nsx to the 348, the 348 is faster, and much better braked, while the Nsx wins in roadholding. Pretty good test of the Nsx also, 1/4 13.7@ 104.

Another article i found, also Car and driver, the Acura smokes the Ferrari in acceleration, 13.8@102, to the ferrari's 14.5@99mph. The Ferrari won in top speed, and roadholding.

Anyone have any other tests.

We're going to find out how a 348 holds up to being an everyday car, compared to the Nsx. We seriously considered buying a newer Nsx, but my wife wants the Ferrari. If i ever get another Nsx it will be the 3.2.

Oh well, I think you would have been happy if you put the SC in the car since lack of power was really your only big complaint.

Good luck with the 348.

If you get a chance to drive a Comptech SC 3.2 NSX, I think you would really like it. -- I know after driving luds, my car feels like a troll!

You may be right about the power, but it was more my wifes decision than mine. She wanted something new. Truthfully, id rather experiment with a turbocharged 348 than the Nsx. Now as the years go by, the Nsx, in early form is getting to be outgunned by far to many riceburners. If i get another it will be a 3.2. The Ferrari, may be just as slow as the Nsx, but it will be a change of pace and will be easier to pick up power than it is in the Nsx, without supercharging.

[This message has been edited by ALLAN (edited 25 November 2002).]

Allan-

I don't know of any other mag test numbers, but can reference a personal real world encounter.

Last spring, pre-bbsc when my 91 was still 100% stock, I drove up on a 348 during off hours on a local highway. With no other cars near us we punched it starting about 65 or so.. can't remember exactly. I let off around 120 with the 348 roughly 2 car lengths behind. We started off fairly even and by 75/80 I began to pull away.

For your purposes it sounds like all out speed is not the main concern (if it was you would be looking at different cars altogehter I'm sure) and the Ferrari is probably a better choice for your wife anyway. Would be neat to see a successfully turbo'd 348. Good luck finding the right car.

Here is from an ex-owner's perspective:
http://www.nexttestdrive.net/jhillNSX.html

It just so happens that Road and Track did a comparison test between a '91 NSX and a '91 Ferrari 348, and the NSX beat it in every performance category except in Lateral accel (.90g vs .91g, hardly anything noticeable. The NSX had better braking, better acceleration (0-60, 1/4 mile), salom, etc. This magazine is no longer in print but the entire article can be found on page 32 in this book:

Acura - Honda NSX Performance Portfolio 1989-1999

This book is really good. It is a compilation of articles from different car magazines across the globe on the NSX.

It is a magazine's job to be unbiased in their comparison/reviews of cars, and I think they did a good job on this article.

In any case, if a early model 3.0L NSX can be so close in performance to the 348, the late model 3.2L model should definitely be the better car.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

theres a good "buyers guide" article on the 348 in an earlier issue of FORZA (June 2001). If I recall it references the NSX as "one of the reasons this car was not as successful as hoped" (my paraphrasing).

some snippets...

"Shortly after the 348 went on sale, Honda/Acura introduced the NSX. Almost overnight, the equation changed -- here was a mid-engined exotic that cost 40% less than the Ferrari, dished out comparable performance, and one-upped Maranello with its high-tech engineering (titanium connecting rods, variable valve timing, all-aluminum unit construction chassis, etc.). More importantly, it didn't require the customer to compromise on comfort, build quality or real-world usablity."

R&T article is quoted there...
"Has Honda bettered Ferrar?" R&T rhetorically finshed their January 1991 comparo... "Even ignoring their price differences, virtually every driver who spent time behind the wheel felt the NSX would be the better choice as a sports car to live with." Though the magazine felt the NSX was "the better exotic," they concluded the NSX was "the more successful car."

A separate C&D article is also referenced, mentioning some issues with high-speed behaviour... "Above 150 mph, the wandering on the high speed oval verged on scary... Corvettes, 928GTSs, NSXs and Vipers can tackle their similar top speeds with nary a misstep."

############

Pretty useful article -- tells you what years to avoid, specific model/year highlights

Good luck... I think its a pretty car, particularly in the Spider variant.
biggrin.gif

From my limited experience with the 348, it felt as fast as the Nsx to 60, and faster and more responsive above that, but again, not much faster. All the magazines thats say useability, practicality, etc, in favor of the Nsx really dont weigh on me, as i could live with my Lambo daily.

The Ferrari is comfortable and has a good a/c. The engine noise is great also. We'll see what happens.

Why not just spring for the 355. We all know it is a much better car, and really, what is another 30-45K.. money is not realy an issue here... (i am assuming that because you were willing to dump nearly 20K into the NSX)

I guess if you really love the 348 then go for it, but honestly I think you would be better off with a 355. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, time for a goofy question... If you get the ferrari, which car gets driveway duty allan??

Well, im going to pick up my 1992 348ts. Its black/black with chromed factory wheels! Ill tell you how it goes. Ill actually have some fun because ill be driving it back through the mountains!
I asked the owner how he thought the car compared to an Nsx, and according to him, he had driven one before and the ferrari was faster from 60-160mph, but i didnt take this info to heart as he also stated he'd bet the car could rival my Diablo in that area! Funny how some exotic car owners are soo clueless.

I am very confused. I have read all the posts regarding the debate on whether to buy or not to buy a 348 because "wifey" wants one. After I vomited, I decided to write. With money no object, you end up with a 92 348? Sorry, if money is no object (nice squigglies on the lambo by the way) and unless "wifey" is raking in more than me, I am telling "wifey" she is driving a 360 spider. If she has a problem with that, she can enjoy the alimony.

Haha!

I think allan just really wants a 348ts.

Allan, Did I read you are selling the Lotus also??

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 27 November 2002).]

Well i just got back. Car runs like a dream. Very nice. First off on the stupid wifey comments, wifey can buy and drive what ever she wants, neither one of us is a fan of the 360 Spider, and even though she does not make more than i, she still pulls in over 6 figures.

So far in 1 short day of summation, id say the Nsx is more comfortable to drive, and has a better shifter,although i like the feel of the ferrari gates. The ferrari steering is better, lighter to turn, and the brakes on the ferrari are much better than the Nsx's. Visibility is better in the Nsx. Fit and finish is better in the Nsx, but even though this ferrari is almost 11 years old, there are no squeeks, rattles or wind noise. The sound of the ferrari is better from the outside than the Nsx, but quiter than the Nsx on the inside. Performance wise, this 348 seems to be slower than the one i drove the other day, so id have to give a slight edge to the Nsx.
As for styling, to me its a toss up, with an edge to the Ferrari, but judging by peoples reactions during one short day, they prefer the ferrari over the nsx. Both are nice cars. I did have alot of fun blasting through the mountains in it at 120+. Well see what happens. The Ferrari also feels heavier than the Nsx, and at high speeds seems more stable.

wow.. almost sounds like the NSX is the better car
smile.gif

Hope you enjoy it. If you dont mind me asking, what does your wife do that pulls in over 6 figures?

For a long trip, the Nsx is the better car. Around town, ill have no problem with the 348. It really is awesome.

My wife is in Surgical Device sales.

ok, the wifey comments were a joke, lighten up there francis... the squigglies on the lambo, however, i plead the 5th... ; )

what is it about the 360 that you and your wife don't like? while i haven't driven one
(yet...my neighbor owns one), everything i read say it's pretty much the quintissential driving machine. as well, personally, i could stare at it all day, it's simply an aesthetic wonder, flowing lines like nothing else i've seen recently.

is there a possibility you and your wife are taken by the visual similarities to the nsx?
i recall something about ferarri being upset by the nsx's look as it applied to the 348 when it came out.

i agree, post some pics when you can.

The squigglies as you call them come only on the Sv. It is factory so i didnt take them off. I like them, but if i had a choice i would of gone without.

I dont think the Nsx looks anything like the 348.

When it comes to the 360, i like it, but when it comes to the price, i just dont think its worth the money. Maybe ill change my mind in December as ill have one for a week.

Well, Allan, I am glad you enjoy the Ferrari. Who did you sell the NSX to? Sorry you are no longer one of us, bro, but it is for the best. So I guess you are gonna leave this board soon right?

Back