F1 2009 megathread

What the US F1 team needs is a hero so reprehensible to Europeans that they can't avoid hating him (or her).

You are probably right in terms of marketing; pitting the US against all the European and Brazilian bred testosterone drivers ........... but wouldn't this reinforce every stereotypical imagery of "Americans," crashing into their elitist motorsports :confused: Wait a second, but isn't this exactly what AJ Foyt and Shelby did a few decades ago :wink:

You are probably right in terms of marketing; pitting the US against all the European and Brazilian bred testosterone drivers ........... but wouldn't this reinforce every stereotypical imagery of "Americans," crashing into their elitist motorsports :confused: Wait a second, but isn't this exactly what AJ Foyt and Shelby did a few decades ago :wink:

The problem is that many Europeans only get to meet Americans that they deal with at Malls, restaurants and Airports, say take your average TSA employee.

You also have some US sports personalities talking about giving it 150%! it makes a lot of idiots think that the average American is Peter Griffin.

I would love to see a US F1 team do well!

think about this, you hire Kyle Busch and Danica Patrick while you are grooming talented open-wheel kids like Gabby Chaves (F BMW), Josef Newgarden (UK FF), and Conner DePhillipi (SB Championship) to take over the reigns in a couple years. The 2 characters will create huge interest in the sport both at home and abroad and help shake down the cars in those developmental years. I can't think of 2 more polarizing personalities out there, that's what the sport needs to generate fan base here in the states...
crazy, I know.

Patrick would be a F1 engineers' dream.. could get down to 100lbs with a lower center of gravity than a male

Re: Exactly.........sort of

Hrant, you're preaching to the choir. But you havent' answered the one question that I am trying to get Mr Sparrow to debate you on.........would those foreign F-1 sponsors rather have their local (German, Italian, French, Indian etc) boy driving their car in 15th place or an American boy driving their car at the front? That's the question I put in front of you two.

At this level its not the driver its the car.
IMO Scott Speed was a (lets say minimum) 9 out of 10.
10 being Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel. Where did they end up.
Instead we have Button and RB top of the heap. Not saying they are bad.
To get to F1 they have to be the cream of the cream.
Its that it is the CAR and, face it, racers luck which determines WDC's and WCC's.
A $200,000 Hamilton is the equal to a $XXMillion FA.

Last edited:
Re: Jensen deal confirmed?

Has there been an official agreement between BGP and JB? I agree that he will be driving without the pressure of the championship (and the playing it safe driving that leading by a wide margin entails), but hadn't heard anything definitive about his contract negotiations.

Would love to see JB back at BGP next season.
Well the ink is not on the paper yet but the preponderance of evidence (yeah, I know that’s a stretch in F-1) leads me to bet lunch it will happen as most have expected.

There are several sources printing this:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20102009/13/brawn-button-aiming-new-deal.html

Ross and Fry have been quoted a few places that they want and expect to culminate a deal with Jens. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motor...nd-we-do-want-jenson-to-stay-115875-21774004/ or http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79759

It’s no secret that Jensen is not a drama queen and wants to stay, not to mention that his stock is not the strongest on the F-1 grid.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2009/10/20/button-wants-brawn-deal-86908-21762961/

As for the “McLaren/teamed with Hamo” story, and the silly tear-jerky “laundry bill” story, these were just negotiating red-herrings that got way more ink than they should, thanks most likely to Jens’s agent. So, when his agent says the deal is done; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...on-Button-gets-reward-8m-job-offer-Brawn.html, well, it’s probably done.

And reliable inside journalists like James Allen and Phil Huff have sneered at other “Jensen here, Jensen there” rumors and their comments seem to express quiet confidence that Jensen and Brawn GP will get the details ironed out with little fanfare.

Most likely, Ross is carefully doing the team budget and doesn't need to rush into anything. From strictly a negotiating standpoint, he's got Jens right where he wants him.

That's why I'm not thinking any more about this silly season question.

Yes but she would be a disaster to a team strategist; How to get someone who is totally over their head to look good, forget the G string, stat-wise.

why do you say, she'd be "totally over her head" in F1? not to start a flame war, just that everyone bashes her and I'm not convinced she's a bad driver at all:confused:...
to be honest, I think most of the driver's in F1 are w/in a hairs-breadth of each-other talent wise and the ride is most important. How else do you explain JB's meteoric rise to the WDC in '09 vs. the dismal year he had in '08?:wink:
as far as the G-string goes, I think she's rather fetching:biggrin:...

Last edited:
Rumour here in Abu Dhabi this weekend is that Jenson has inked a $3 million euro deal with Brawn GP. Ross has got Jenson and Manager by the balls...

Next rumour is that Kimi was offered money by McLaren and it was considerably less than expected so he's off to rallying. I'll snap photos for you guys on Saturday and Sunday...I'm sitting in the southgrandstand near the harbour...

Last edited:
why do you say, she'd be "totally over her head" in F1? not to start a flame war, just that everyone bashes her and I'm not convinced she's a bad driver at all:confused:...
to be honest, I think most of the driver's in F1 are w/in a hairs-breadth of each-other talent wise and the ride is most important. How else do you explain JB's meteoric rise to the WDC in '09 vs. the dismal year he had in '08?:wink:
as far as the G-string goes, I think she's rather fetching:biggrin:...

I dont think she would do well. I randomly caught some show on her recapping her past season in IRL, her best finish on the road courses was around 5th. She even said she does better on the oval tracks.

Re: Allow me to beat a dead horse.......

I dont think she would do well. I randomly caught some show on her recapping her past season in IRL, her best finish on the road courses was around 5th. She even said she does better on the oval tracks.
If none of the other CART/IRL champions can make a go of it, I can't imagine she could do better than drive around in the back and host lightweight sponsors.

And that's assuming she hires Hrant to manage and coach her marketing efforts. :wink: But hey, who knows what she'll try. {Hrant, you sent that proposal yet?}

So I just got this:

BrawnGPInvite2.jpg

I dont think she would do well.

I suspect we'll never know, It looks like she's headed for stock cars eventually, anyway.
Will soon leave us w/ only a few talented European and South American driver's in what's left of open-wheel racing in the US....sad:frown:

nice invite, BTW, is that for real?

Last edited:
I suspect we'll never know, It looks like she's headed for stock cars eventually, anyway.
Will soon leave us w/ only a few talented European and South American driver's in what's left of open-wheel racing in the US....sad:frown:

nice invite, BTW, is that for real?

Yes it is real.

Situation:
<O:p</O:p<O:p
One of my best friends moved to Abu Dhabi back in 05' to work with his older brother, who in turn works for the Sheikh of Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, the older brother is very well connected now. He recently became very good friends with Richard Branson (they supposedly talk 2-3 times a week on the phone). He has all-access to the race this coming weekend and could get anyone the same kind of access.
<O:p</O:p
My friend (the little brother) invited me to come out to the race but unfortunatey I have a comprehensive test in grad school that determines if I get my MS or not. The test is on Nov. 5.

Yes, I could have gone this weekend and been back by Nov.3rd, but my mind-set would not have been in the right place. I have been studying for the past month and a half for the test.

My friend and his brother own Etoiles (club in Emirates Palace). I could have had the chance to party with Button, Brawn, Branson, and all the other F1 drivers who most likely will be there (Etoiles is the best club in AD). :frown::frown::frown:

bummer, timing, as they say, is everything!

Re: Hmmmm, better change your avatar

but my mind-set would not have been in the right place.....I have been studying for the past month and a half for the test.
way too responsible. Your avatar should be Dilbert !!! :biggrin:

Yes it is real.

Situation:
<O:p</O:p<O:p
One of my best friends moved to Abu Dhabi back in 05' to work with his older brother, who in turn works for the Sheikh of Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, the older brother is very well connected now. He recently became very good friends with Richard Branson (they supposedly talk 2-3 times a week on the phone). He has all-access to the race this coming weekend and could get anyone the same kind of access.
<O:p</O:p
My friend (the little brother) invited me to come out to the race but unfortunatey I have a comprehensive test in grad school that determines if I get my MS or not. The test is on Nov. 5.

Yes, I could have gone this weekend and been back by Nov.3rd, but my mind-set would not have been in the right place. I have been studying for the past month and a half for the test.

My friend and his brother own Etoiles (club in Emirates Palace). I could have had the chance to party with Button, Brawn, Branson, and all the other F1 drivers who most likely will be there (Etoiles is the best club in AD). :frown::frown::frown:

Hook a brother up?!?! I'm here in Dubai and will be at the race this afternoon, tomorrow, and Sunday! Bring on Kings of Leon concert!!!

Hook a brother up?!?! I'm here in Dubai and will be at the race this afternoon, tomorrow, and Sunday! Bring on Kings of Leon concert!!!

I was offered the opportunity, I dont know if I can pass that onto someone. I will ask though...

How long have you been in dubai? I am going back to visit in Dec, will be in AD from 12/27-1/11.

Hey Matey...I'll be back in Canada when you are in Abu Dhabi. Too bad as I've met a few primers here in Dubai (Commander, Ben, rjmcmillian). Been here since May 2005...time to head back to reality.

Qualifying was great and we are sitting at the south grandstand near to the yachts. I'm snapping photos and will post them up after the F1 race this afternoon/evening.

Kings of Leon concert kicked arse!

Beyonce' played Thursday, Jamaroquai played Friday, Kings of Leon last night and tonight is....Aerosmith - pass! Yuck.

GO WEBBER!

I was hoping for Button taking Webber on the final drag down the front straight, proving Ilmor's engines to be superior to Renault's engines.

Sigh ... but that was not to be.

At least Button upheld the honor of Brawn GP on the final race of the season.

That was a great race, especially the last 1/3.

I was hoping for Button taking Webber on the final drag down the front straight, proving Ilmor's engines to be superior to Renault's engines.

Sigh ... but that was not to be.

At least Button upheld the honor of Brawn GP on the final race of the season.

That was a great race, especially the last 1/3.
Agree. I was literally yelling at the screen on the final lap for Button to get by Webber but oh well. Still a great race. Now the long wait for the 2010 season.

Re: What were these guys thinking?

I was hoping for Button taking Webber......

So, I wonder if Button was calculating the extraordinary risk of an "exciting" (which some might late call desparate) move on Mark. First of all Mark, of all people, has earned a reputation of being a hard ass to pass (as in outright BLOCKING although he calls it a "firm" driving style).

And with on-going criticism of uneven F-1 steward's calls, he (Butt) could be penalized for a misstep and an embarrassing memorable way to finish the season. OTOH, did I hear the stewards came from England?

And, to take the whole stewards penalty danger one step further, he could theoretically lose championship (not just race) points, :eek: assuming he would be called for wreckless. Which explains why he was not supposed to have that WDC sticker on his helmet. :redface:

And on another note; what was Vettel doing? DONUTS???? :rolleyes: what next? Collar undone in the interview?? Wow, playing with fire !!!

And Kobay; :biggrin:, no respect for the World Champion; that little monkey was quite the show as he suckered Butt into outbraking himself. Ha!!

And that Jaime kid; wrong pit, potentially ruining Vettel's race and then running out of fuel (not buying his gear box excuse). Wow, Just WOW

And this was great; Fred calling the Renault the worst car on the grid !!! Torched that bridge, as he knows he'll never go back to Renault.

Good show boys!!

Just drove back from Abu Dhabi and the GP was spectacular. Here are some photos I snapped from the South Grandstand.

Driver of the race was Toyota's Kobayashi. He drove brilliantly overtaking Raikkonen on the start and didn't put a wheel wrong. The "almost" Button on Webber pass was right in front of us and you should have heard the crowd scream "Go On!"...so close...so close.

I tell you guys Abu Dhabi sure did an amazing job at this track. Just spectacular (every grandstand is covered which in this heat is a definate plus!) in terms of its organization, design, etc. This was my 4th GP (Australia, Italian, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi) and definately awesome.

Note: there are more pics to come as I wasn't snapping many with my crappy camera. I'll post up my mates photos this week...

ResizeofIMG_8101.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8102.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8106.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8107.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8110.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8112.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8114.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8116.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8120.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8121.jpg

ResizeofIMG_8118.jpg

Re: Exactly.........sort of

At this level its not the driver its the car.
.......Its that it is the CAR and, face it, racers luck which determines WDC's and WCC's.
A $200,000 Hamilton is the equal to a $XXMillion FA.
Well, this issue has been simmering in my fragile egg-shell mind for some time, so I'll throw this on the wall and see what sticks.

While I would agree this year has definitely shown that it can be the car, strategy and even more importantly, the luck of hitting on the right setup/tire combo, some drivers still make a huge difference. And I think that was well summed up by the Speed pundits comments today; namely that:

this year's Ferrari was absolutely horrible and only talented drivers like Massa and Kimi (with lucky setups) got any points, so don't be too hard on Fishi and Looka-how-badyouare.

Same for Renault: Piquet and fat John (Grosjean) are not a joke; it took Fred, one of the best technical development drivers (and the occassional lucky setup) to get any points. As Fred said: Renault was probably the worst car on the grid this year.

Lucky set-ups; Toyota was all over the place; on the front row, then on the back row; same with Force India; Fishi was the benefactor of the lucky set-up; Sutil is acknowledged as the better technical driver and while not hitting the lottery, was more consistent.

So, while these guys are all the creme de la creme, there is a diffence and driver talent does make a difference even though the car, the set-up, tires, strategy, and luck are also very ..........very important.

Oh wait, I forgot politics and fitting into the team culture: As Hobbsy said, watching Fred trying to fit into the Ferrari "family" will be interesting. Didn't work for him at Macca for very long.

Back