F1 2009 megathread

Re: Good show

I'm thinking it had to be Button's evil twin b/c he finally drove with a sense of urgency. And boy, did he drive well.
That could be because he finally stayed in his hotel room by himself before the race and after the post-race festivities:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79627

"I think most drivers when they have the possibility of winning the world championship, they go crazy," added Button, wearing a t-shirt with the message 'What goes around comes around.'

"They go out and have an absolutely crazy evening. But we all celebrate in different ways and for me to just chill on my own was the best thing for me.

"I obviously wanted to go out and congratulate the whole team, which I did, and then I got home and just relaxed and just took everything in. It was perfect.​

There is no Honda in Brawn GP. Honda may have paid much of the bills this season, but that is it. Judging by the performance of the Mercedes powered teams, it was the deciding factor in this year's WDC and WMC.

Miner

Yes there is, basically the entire car. The RA109 was designed by Honda at their facilities during the last half of 2008. Brawn had to kluge a Mercedes engine into it, which was a bit of a problem, since the chassis was developed for the Honda RA808E V8. That the car performed so well with a sub-optimal engine fitting is a testament to both the Brawn team's skill and the RA109 chassis. One can only imagine what it could have done with the Honda engine it was supposed to have...

I have to say, I never really wanted Button to win this...I was looking for the upset by Vettel, but after that race I have to say that Button deserved it. Some of those passes were great...he was finally driving like a world champion.

Also, I'm really looking forward to watching Kobayashi in the future after his performance this weekend. What a fun race to watch.

While there is no question that Honda's contribution to this WC was massive - it spent 2 years developing a chasis, I have to say that the Mercedes engine was an upgrade. (We will never know for sure) The MB engine's reliability, power and performance in several teams shows that it was a winning engine.

Brawn GP won this championship not Honda. Running the team, bringing it back from near death, securing sponsorship and drivers, creating an environment for both drivers to succeed - this was all Brawn, not Honda. I'm sure other teams with a comparable chasis would not have won without the team that Brawn GP has.

While there is no question that Honda's contribution to this WC was massive - it spent 2 years developing a chasis, I have to say that the Mercedes engine was an upgrade. (We will never know for sure) The MB engine's reliability, power and performance in several teams shows that it was a winning engine.

Brawn GP won this championship not Honda. Running the team, bringing it back from near death, securing sponsorship and drivers, creating an environment for both drivers to succeed - this was all Brawn, not Honda. I'm sure other teams with a comparable chasis would not have won without the team that Brawn GP has.

Yes, we know Honda did not win this championship, but c'mon, lets give credit where credit is due. Without Honda there would be no Brawn GP, period. To say there is no Honda in Brawn GP is a bit silly. In my heart, this was a Brawn/Honda/Mercedes victory.

Re: Oh, now this will help...........

Ole James has a good one now; talking about the future tech of F-1

..........engine formula is devised to an efficiency based, rather than capacity based system. In F1 this new formula is due in 2013 and KERS, or a version of it, will be at the heart of it.........
“Motor sport must move from a power per unit of a combination of one or more of: swept volume/RPM/boost pressure/sonic orifice diameter, as a basis for engine performance regulation, to one of power per unit of energy, ” said the FIA statement. “This would automatically put the technical emphasis on energy efficiency, and enable all efficiency technologies to be embraced......
And they thought the double diffuser issue was difficult to resolve. :rolleyes: LOL

But here's the punch line............gotta be a joke. :wink:

Finally each Grand Prix event must be carbon neutral and the FIA proposes offsetting. This will be quite some undertaking if you consider the number of people who fly all over the world in commercial jets to work in F1.

was hoping it was on the web somewhere

I figured as much. I'm not sure if the FOM offers any kind of web replay. I know their live timing and scoring is not available after the fact (on their site).

I'm still looking for the 1983 US Grand Prix from Dallas. I was there, but didn't see Nigel Mansell push his car across the finish line and collapse.

Miner

there are a lot of young karting and open wheel racers in the us that could be tested but as far as sponsor dollars Patrick could bring alot.Montoya has experience if not the heart.....plenty of current drivers being pushed out need rides.

there are a lot of young karting and open wheel racers in the us that could be tested but as far as sponsor dollars Patrick could bring alot.Montoya has experience if not the heart.....plenty of current drivers being pushed out need rides.
Windsor wants a US drivier at some point in time. I just dont think Kyle Busch is the guy.

Link to article:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79660

Last edited:
I like Marco Andretti for the seat. Young, but already has some seat time in big events (2nd at Indy, etc.) With the right F1 mentor in the other slot, plus his dad and gramps for advice, I think he could win a WDC in a good car.

If Joan Paula Montoya gets that USF1 seat, I'm going to crap a brick and throw it at him.

True story.

Last edited:
Re: Will USF1 be different than other F1 teams?

I've been wrestling with the abysmal failure of US series drivers in F-1 for the past 17 years. I don't think it's raw talent. Is it the equipment? Probably plays a part, but can't be the whole reason. Must be something else bordering on discrimination, F-1 snobbery and mostly, the secret reason that all drivers see the accepted ladder to F-1 going thru European series.

Whatever it is, I would hope that Windsor and Anderson will have a team organization and culture that is less political and discriminatory than the traditional F-1 teams. Is it that simple; that it starts at the top with the management?

Windsor pretty much confirmed that no U.S. drivers would be used for 2010, but for 2011 forward they would be a focus. Apparently, USF1 is running some sort of F1 development camp that they hope will produce a competent American driver. Even with the dominance of NASCAR, there is plenty of road racing talent here in the states (SCCA, ALMS, Formula Ford, Formula Mazda, IRL), but it seems like they are ignored in favor of 14 year old European karting champs. I actually think Rubens would be an excellent choice for USF1's "experienced" driver mentor.

I actually think Rubens would be an excellent choice for USF1's "experienced" driver mentor.

He would be good. However, he's jonesing for a championship and though possible with USF1, not likely. Therefore, I'm not sure he'd welcome a drive for the US team.

I think Scott Speed got a pretty raw deal in F1 though I know he's said he's not even interested anymore. If he was and his confidence could be developed again, he'd be a good choice IMHO.

I like Marco Andretti for the seat. Young, but already has some seat time in big events (2nd at Indy, etc.) With the right F1 mentor in the other slot, plus his dad and gramps for advice, I think he could win a WDC in a good car.

Have you actually watched him race? Other than a famous name, he doesn't brought anything noteworthy to the table. He's fairly reckless and not quick, even among the Indy competition.

Same story with Rahal.

BrawnGP: 2010 WRC Champions

20-Sep-09-rFactorCentral-0101_GRAB_0135.JPG

Back