Early NSX vs. Late NSX

Was wondering what the main real world differences are between the pre 97 nsx's and later versions. I know that the 97's have the 6 speed and I believe they have more power but does that really matter in the real world?

Do they both have the same power features and such and can someone give me a list or point me to a place that lists all the features of the NSX? Such as power seats, etc.

I will probably add a turbo charger or supercharger and possibly a body kit at some point along with lambo doors so figure it might be better to just start with a cheaper car and build it.

What is maintenance like on these cars? Do they pretty much run forever?

Thanks

Rob

im not sure of the exact years but my 94 does not have power steering
look in the FAQ section for more than enough information

Well I just looked but the faq does not seem to have the information that I"m looking for. Bascially What are the major differences. Are all the electronics in the car pretty much the same from pre 97 to post 97? Does the 5 speed vs. 6 speed really make a difference. What is so different about the engines between the 2 types of cars? It would be nice if I could find some brochures or something talking about them.

robl45 said:
Was wondering what the main real world differences are between the pre 97 nsx's and later versions. I know that the 97's have the 6 speed and I believe they have more power but does that really matter in the real world?

Do they both have the same power features and such and can someone give me a list or point me to a place that lists all the features of the NSX? Such as power seats, etc.

I will probably add a turbo charger or supercharger and possibly a body kit at some point along with lambo doors so figure it might be better to just start with a cheaper car and build it.

What is maintenance like on these cars? Do they pretty much run forever?

Thanks

Maintenance is really quite poor. Especially with the lambo doors. You should probably buy something else.

maintenance is bad? I've owned japansese cars before and usually they don't have any problems. I don't see how it could be worse than my c5.

robl45 said:
maintenance is bad? I've owned japansese cars before and usually they don't have any problems. I don't see how it could be worse than my c5.

I think what he may be trying to convey is that if you plan on doing lambo doors, you might want to think about buying another vehicle... I personally would hate to see a perfectly good NSX ruined.

robl45 said:
Well I just looked but the faq does not seem to have the information that I"m looking for. Bascially What are the major differences. Are all the electronics in the car pretty much the same from pre 97 to post 97? Does the 5 speed vs. 6 speed really make a difference. What is so different about the engines between the 2 types of cars? It would be nice if I could find some brochures or something talking about them.

Seriously? Did you look here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

1997 had a lot of changes. The engine is a 3.2 liter, and yes, the tranny does make a difference. My advice is to locate both cars and test drive them. I have owned both in the past, and my opinion is that it does make a big difference.

Ask yourself.
Do I want a coupe or T top.
That's a good starting point and answers 75%
of your questions.
As far as the mods go, if you want a wild one,
buy one already heavily modified. You will save
$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Just my 2........

Yes I read the changes by year. But as someone else pointed out, other than finding and older one and newer one to test drive, the only way I can find out real world differences is by asking. It doesn't say in that faq if they ever changed the power options in the car from year to year nor does it even say what options are power if I remember correctly.

Oh, I definitely want the targa version.

robl45 said:
Yes I read the changes by year. But as someone else pointed out, other than finding and older one and newer one to test drive, the only way I can find out real world differences is by asking. It doesn't say in that faq if they ever changed the power options in the car from year to year nor does it even say what options are power if I remember correctly.

Oh, I definitely want the targa version.

Having owned several NSXs, I don't remember that there were any significant differences with standard equipment. Most of the differences are with the performance aspect of the car like larger brakes, headers, increased displacement, use of different panels, wheels, drive by wire, so on and so forth. Everything that should be power is power. You're never going to find an NSX where you need to manually roll down the window....

If you really want an NSX-T, then I would recommend looking exclusively at the 97+ NSX. The coupe has a cult following. I can see how some can see it as a better track car because of the increase rigidity being a fixed roof car. A '95-'96 NSX-T is said to be the sluggish of the line up just because of the increased weight and the NA1 engine. The '97+ improvements makes up for the increase weight in the NSX-T.

However, I'm talking stock for stock here, and I know your intention is to modify the car. Unfortunately I like my cars stock, so I cannot give any comments as to what is a better platform to perform your mods on.

enigma said:
I think what he may be trying to convey is that if you plan on doing lambo doors, you might want to think about buying another vehicle... I personally would hate to see a perfectly good NSX ruined.

AGREED!!!

Here's some info found on this site's FAQ regarding the 95-1996.

The 95-96 is 100 lbs heavier but had two important performance upgrades over the 91-94.
"Throttle-By-Wire & Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Differential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%."

I have driven many NSX's, and have found they can differ from car to car quite a bit in terms of performance.

I wouldn't pass on a car because of it's year or stats on paper. If you're interested in a car take it for a test drive. You don't want to overlook what could be the right car for the wrong reason.

Definately buy the 97+

Even the 97 T is faster then the NA1 coupe by a lot. The shifter I believe is shorter throw and shorter gears pluss the extra torque in the 3.2 mixed with the 6 speed is a night and day difference so I hear.

BTW IMO you will be dissapointed with the 91-96. My 91 gearing is way to tall for the torque it makes pluss they have small probs like oil gauge non responsive and notchy reverse gear. You will be dissapointed coming from a C5.

I even think that a 98 coupe with few bolt ons will be just as fast as a 91-96 with a supercharger at stock psi. Look at car-stats.com there is about a 1 second difference between the two engines which means you have to make that up on the early models with FI = not worth it. Start with the better engine and just add a little mods but ditch the lambo doors. Trust me buy a lambo if you want lambo doors then you will look at conversions and be embarrased. There is a guy with a beat up honda civic that comes to see my friends sister. When he gets out he leaves all his lambo doors open in the driveway it's EMBARRASING DISCUSTING RICE!!! and he thinks he's cool.

Definately buy the 97+

Even the 97 T is faster then the NA1 coupe by a lot. The shifter I believe is shorter throw and shorter gears pluss the extra torque in the 3.2 mixed with the 6 speed is a night and day difference so I hear.

BTW IMO you will be dissapointed with the 91-96. My 91 gearing is way to tall for the torque it makes pluss they have small probs like oil gauge non responsive and notchy reverse gear. You will be dissapointed coming from a C5.

I even think that a 98 coupe with few bolt ons will be just as fast as a 91-96 with a supercharger at stock psi. Look at car-stats.com there is about a 1 second difference between the two engines which means you have to make that up on the early models with FI = not worth it. Start with the better engine and just add a little mods but ditch the lambo doors. Trust me buy a lambo if you want lambo doors then you will look at conversions and be embarrased. There is a guy with a beat up honda civic that comes to see my friends sister. When he gets out he leaves all his lambo doors open in the driveway it's EMBARRASING DISCUSTING RICE!!! and he thinks he's cool but the jokes on him.

NSSEX91 said:
Definately buy the 97+

I even think that a 98 coupe with few bolt ons will be just as fast as a 91-96 with a supercharger at stock psi. Look at car-stats.com there is about a 1 second difference between the two engines which means you have to make that up on the early models with FI = not worth it. Start with the better engine and just add a little mods but ditch the lambo doors. Trust me buy a lambo if you want lambo doors then you will look at conversions and be embarrased. There is a guy with a beat up honda civic that comes to see my friends sister. When he gets out he leaves all his lambo doors open in the driveway it's EMBARRASING DISCUSTING RICE!!! and he thinks he's cool.

The gearing in the 5-speed isn't that bad. While you gain 0-60 time you lose 1/4 mile time with the shorter gears. The increase in performance is due mainly to the 20 extra HP. Most people do agree, however, that the OEM 6-speed gearing is the best overall setup.

I am not aware of any shorter throw in the shifter in NA2 NSXs. In 1994 the gear cut method was changed to reduce gearbox noise but that was it for NA1 tranny changes. Reverse lockout, double synchros on gears 3-6 and shorter gearing were used in the 1997 NA2 tranny but those are the only differences I am aware of. The shifting for 2000+ NSX was improved.

I have also never heard of a recurring non-responsive oil pressure guage in NA1 NSXs. Could you point any threads out or TSBs regarding this issue?

Notchy reverse gear? I've never heard anyone complain about that one before. How often are you speed shifting into reverse? I've heard of a notchy 5th gear but that's it.

A supercharged 91 will be considerably faster than a 1998 with bolt-ons. The fact is 97+ NA2 NSXs respond worse than 91-96 NA1 NSXs to bolt-ons. You'll be lucky to squeeze 280 RWHP out of a NA2 with bolt-ons where a low-boost supercharged NA1 will get you around 325 RWHP no problem, assuming you've already done the NA1 bolt-ons.

In fact a NA1 with bolt-ons and short gears will probably be just as quick as any unmodded 97+ NSX if not quicker.

And finally, the Lambo doors are probably going to be junk and have problems. I'd avoid them generally. They are very unpopular here on Prime but in my experience you get a different response in person. It's not the train wreck Prime members suggest but they're definitely not for everyone and you're most likely not going to be happy with them.

robl45 said:
...I will probably add...a body kit at some point along with lambo doors so figure it might be better to just start with a cheaper car and build it.

Do they pretty much run forever?

WTF? Please leave the NSX alone. Buy a Cobalt instead.

We don't need another ricers here. There are few of them lurking around already.

Bye

OMG..........I dont own a NSX yet but please dont "lambo" the doors and destroy such a beautiful car. Go buy a civic and ruin that.

Kinda reminds me of what 60's muscle cars went through in the
70's & early 80's. (Think glass on flares, custom valour int, flames, etc...
It will be interesting to see if there will be a "correct" restoration boom for the NSX's 10-20 yrs from now. :biggrin:
(Not that the NSX is perfect from the factory and cant be improved a bit):wink:
But when I see a body kit, or aftermarket hood 1st thing that comes to my mind is that its been "bumped" and repaired with new panels.

NSXGMS said:
The fact is 97+ NA2 NSXs respond worse than 91-96 NA1 NSXs to bolt-ons. You'll be lucky to squeeze 280 RWHP out of a NA2 with bolt-ons where a low-boost supercharged NA1 will get you around 325 RWHP no problem, assuming you've already done the NA1 bolt-ons.

My 02 with Comptech muffler, Dc sports header and air duct put down 278 to the wheels. Two mods really, and my car went from 258 to 278. I would consider that responding very well.

If I am not mistaken, the early cars have a different Engine Control Unit which allows you to change out the chips in favor of a more performance one.

My 91 doesn't have a notchy reverse:confused: , nor a problem with oil pressure gauge as suggested. The car is great the way it is now. The power is crisp and the handling is exceptional even without the power steering.

Add the 3.8 stroker motor and a 6 speed and leave the forced induction alone for reliability sake.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read the Lambo door thing...

I never even looked at anything newer than 1995. I am 100% satisfied with my 1993 NSX (okay, well, the window issue has been irritating but now fixed).

I wanted a removeable top, but like someone already pointed out, the coupe has a cult following, and is just as much fun in my opinion.

I think you will be happy either way. Good luck.

I'm to lazy to look up the web site that listed common problems on early models. But thats all they are is common problems meaning it's not surprising that not everybody has my problems.

anyways the NA1 can't possibly make more power then the NA2 the NA2 is a bigger engine and will simply make more power given the same amount of mods. Poeple on this forum have over 300rwp with bolt-ons on NA2's so don't tell me that won't be almost as fast as a stock T supercharged 320rwp NA1 5 speed.

NSSEX91 said:
I'm to lazy to look up the web site that listed common problems on early models. But thats all they are is common problems meaning it's not surprising that not everybody has my problems.

anyways the NA1 can't possibly make more power then the NA2 the NA2 is a bigger engine and will simply make more power given the same amount of mods. Poeple on this forum have over 300rwp with bolt-ons on NA2's so don't tell me that won't be almost as fast as a stock T supercharged 320rwp NA1 5 speed.

I remember reading somewhere that the NA1's are more mod friendly than the NA2's. And, if my memory is correct, you can make more power with an NA1 vs. NA2.

Simons2k said:
And, if my memory is correct, you can make more power with an NA1 vs. NA2.

I wouldn't say that's true. Your wallet depends on how much power your motor can make! :wink: That aside wouldn't a bigger motor have the potential to make more power?

Back