• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Down Force intake Scoop.. Wow!

Re: Down Force intake SCOOP..WOW!!

avalon96 said:
Do you know the details for local pick-up? Do they have a store that I can just walk into, pay for the item and walk away with the part?

Thanks.

I was told that I can pick up from Anaheim or San Diego.

The website said that it will go up to $190 by 9/1 and only 150 unit will be sold.

Hope you guys can still get it for $135 shipped. Hope they will be reasonable to honor the price.

nis350 said:
I was told that I can pick up from Anaheim or San Diego.

The website said that it will go up to $190 by 9/1 and only 150 unit will be sold.

Hope you guys can still get it for $135 shipped. Hope they will be reasonable to honor the price.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Hopefully that means the price is still $135 and they are just editing their website early.

Can someone describe how to remove the fender liner? Or if there is an existing write-up, point me in the right direction? Thanks.

nis350 said:
I have one recommendation. this scoop does not have any drainage. I drilled a small hole on the bottom for drainage purpose.

Hi

According to Down Force it has a drainage hole. I quote from a mail from them:"..have a small drainage hole on the bottom.."

Regards

EIFFEL said:
Your comments above made me believe that the price is $100. and avail. today. I did not check the web site earlier.

Hi

Sorry if that is what it looked like. When I went over to Downforce.biz I saw that the cutoff date was 01.august. Since it was already 01.august I sent a mail at once.

I may or may not have missed a earlier thread from Zero or others here on Prime regarding this. I do not know, but that is what I thought. But I was lucky and got it for $100.

Regards

Mea culpa, IF...

Chris@SoS said:
Brett is correct. The Cantrell AIS was an original design. The first prototype part was shown at NSXPO. Just want to make sure the record is set straight :)

Cheers,
-- Chris

If the Cantrell AIS is an original design, and all those various types of intake_scoops that are currently available (ie. "Taitec" at www.GT-Rom.com (?), Procar Intake at www.DaliRacing.com, Japanese car enthusiasist boards/auctions, etc ) are copies of it, then I guess it's life. No way to get around that. I can/will retract my statement if such is the case.

I would then say it's fair to castigate publicly: Procar, Invidia, BClark (using RM_Racing front-splitter design that ironically Cantrell does as well :confused: DaliRacing has same splitter too ), and many others. Fair is fair!

:: cracks whip, lip twitches, puffs cigarello as tumbleweed & dust rolls by ::

avalon96 said:
Can someone describe how to remove the fender liner? Or if there is an existing write-up, point me in the right direction? Thanks.

It is very easy to remove the liner. Jack up the car and remove the wheel. Remove about 5 screws and 10 tabs. It will come right off.

I had some problems putting it back in because it presses against the scoop. The scoop should be 1/2 inch smaller then it would be perfect fit for the liner.

nis350 said:

I just saw that too! Glad I got my order in earlier this week. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

nis350 said:
It is very easy to remove the liner. Jack up the car and remove the wheel. Remove about 5 screws and 10 tabs. It will come right off.

I had some problems putting it back in because it presses against the scoop. The scoop should be 1/2 inch smaller then it would be perfect fit for the liner.

Did you ever get the fender lining back to original standards (It is not bulging out / loose / damaged) after installation of the scoop? If so, was it just a matter of playing around with things?

avalon96 said:
Did you ever get the fender lining back to original standards (It is not bulging out / loose / damaged) after installation of the scoop? If so, was it just a matter of playing around with things?

For me, the liner fit back perfectly the first time. I think its just a matter of moving the scoop around so it gets seated in just the right spot. I found it helpful to remove the fuel overflow drainage hose until you get it positioned. HTH

Nate

avalon96 said:

Yes. I was able to put the liner back on, but it was not in the same position as before. Just use a little force to line up the liner with the holes and put the tabs back in.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it won't pop loose in the future.

I read that someone with the AIS had a similar issue.

In response to the post that the liner fits perfectly. Well, the fuel hose is not the issue. I tried pushing it in as much as possible. I think the fuel door mechanism was hitting the scoop also.

Let us know if yours goes it perfectly.

Did it come with screws by any chance? Mine came with 2 brackets, but no screws. I haven't opened up the liner yet, but am I supposed to use the screws from the original stock air intake?

thanks,

vtec888 said:
Did it come with screws by any chance? Mine came with 2 brackets, but no screws. I haven't opened up the liner yet, but am I supposed to use the screws from the original stock air intake?

thanks,

Mine did not come with any screws but you can reuse whats already there. There are three attachment screws for the original intake and one screw on the intake itself that is removeable. Between all those you'll have 4, one to attach each bracket to the scoop and one for each attachment point. I guess I'd agree with the previous posts about the liner in that it does feel a little tight when you put it back on, but its not bulging out or anything. I also knocked out my fuel door release when I finally 'popped' the scoop into its proper position. I was able to get it back into place reaching over the top of the scoop without removing it so I don't think it actually interferes with the mechanism. Good luck!

Nate

thanks...i just went and bought 2 screws at home depot...i didn't want to open it up last night and find that I need to move the car back in place.

I just installed it...I had no problem at all in putting back the liner. There's one certain angle that you need to push the intake in order for it to slide in easily.

Once I had the liner out, I had to take out only 3 screws that were attached to the intake. There should only be 3 screws. After taking them out, I had to pull the stock intake out with some force from the rubber hole mount.

Also, I didn't take all the screw out of the liner...left the one on the bottom alone since I had enough room to squeeze the intake inside.

My review: I can defintely hear a "rawwrrrr" sound on my left ears after 3K RPM...very nice...worth the money!

Last edited:

Just installed mine. Went in real easy. No clearance problems with the wheel liner on my '96. Sounds awesome.

Broke two of the wheel liner plugs. Make sure you push the button in the center of the plug to release it. Otherwise you're guaranteed to break 'em all.

Stock vs. Downforce Air Intake
7367mini-P8090245.JPG

Air intake installed.
7367mini-P8090254.JPG

Did you drill the drainage hole bigger? I noticed your is pretty big in comparison to the one I received.

Someone brought up a good question about the inside material (fiberglass). Do you think it's a good idea to sand it down to smooth it out? Based on the instruction from Downforce, it stated to be cautious of fiberglass splinter.

I'm thinking about taking it off and sand it down to smooth the inside fiberglass to avoid any broken splinter that might come off.

The drainage hole in mine was about 1/4". I left it, as is. I sanded off a few stray burrs inside the scoop. If there were any more, I probably would have just brushed on another coat of fiberglass resin to set it. I'd be leary of sanding it too much, because you don't want to weaken the walls of scoop.

Got mine, pretty fast shipping too....very happy with it....also have some problems fitting the liner back in place.

DF must have drilled the drain hole for the later batch. Mine did not come with the drain hole and I posted here to advice others to drill the hole.

However, the hole on the pic. above may not be at the right place. I think the tip of the scoop is somewhat tilted upward after installed. I think the hole needs to be about 1 inch backward. Just my guess.

In regard to the fiberglass splinters, the air filter should take care of that.

I was supposed to pick mine up from Anahiem 2 days ago, but no one is answering the phone and the mailbox is full. Does anybody know where they are located or have an alternate phone number so I can stop by and pick up mine?

Thanks in advance.

Back