Disaster....

Gerard & Cees-Jan,

Those pictures tell a horrible story. Just gives me the shivers thinking about it.
I am very sorry to hear and read about this kind of damage to your engine. Am I wrong or does it look like the valve fell or was sucked into the cilinder and then speared itself into the piston when that went up in the compression-stroke?
Is the cilinder-wall damaged in any way or is it damage to the piston & head only. I just hope you can find spare parts easily. I might know of a NSX near where I live that still might have the engine for sale.

MvM said:
Gerard & Cees-Jan,

Those pictures tell a horrible story. Just gives me the shivers thinking about it.
I am very sorry to hear and read about this kind of damage to your engine. Am I wrong or does it look like the valve fell or was sucked into the cilinder and then speared itself into the piston when that went up in the compression-stroke?
Is the cilinder-wall damaged in any way or is it damage to the piston & head only. I just hope you can find spare parts easily. I might know of a NSX near where I live that still might have the engine for sale.

Hi Maarten,
The cylinder wall is damaged. And the piston even turned to the right a few degrees.

Cees-Jan said:
I have looked again in the mess and there is a hole in the center of the piston, we just filled up the engine when trying to start it. the (vary badly damaged) spark plug ignited for the last time .......auch.:eek:

The hole can be seen in the picture on the right side of the "R"

That's perhaps why the cam cover exploded. The pressure could go through the piston to the crank and the crank breather wasn't able to manage the sudden pressure. The cam cover couldn't hold this pressure and exploded.

MvM said:
Hi Gerard,

Ouch :( Very unfortunate. Does this mean you will have to replace the cilinderblock or can this cilinder be sleeved.

There are a few options. I have to think them over.

The soul of Guus will hit the roads again....

As you perhaps all know, our beloved friend Guus who died last year, crashed his beautifull white NSX a few months before (summer 2003). Unfortunately he wasn´t given enough time to repair his car.

The family of Guus decided that the NSX should never choose the road or track again. The NSX of Guus could only be driven by Guus.

´The Friends of Guus´ (as I will name this group) will rebuilt the NSX in such a way, that it will have a prominent place at the Speedcentre of Tom Coronel in Huizen (The Netherlands). Tom Coronel is a succesfull former Dutch JGTC Mobil 1 NSX driver. The NSX will have the Mobil 1 JGTC NSX colors. We plan to have a big party on the birthday of Guus in November at the Speedcentre of Tom. I know Guus will love this.

This weekend the project started with getting the NSX of Guus to the repairshop, stripping the NSX and putting it on wheels again (pictures will follow). Michel (DutchBlackNSX) and Michia did most of the work. We plan to have finished this project before the birthday of Guus.

The family of Guus also decided that I can use the engine of Guus for my NSX. As you can understand, this was and is a very emotional thing.
For me it is like I will drive with the soul of Guus in my NSX. I know that Guus will love to see his soul will hit the roads and his beloved tracks again. We both will hit the track at Spa Franchorchamps for the NSX Trophy in September and go for a win. Also this weekend we swapped his engine into my NSX.
I thank the family of Guus and Guus for this.

Nico thanks for using your repairshop, tools and labour. Cees-Jan thanks for your skills, knowledge of working on the NSX and your labour.

This is perhaps the most touching NSX story I've ever heard. I've been logging on to read the progress on yur problem. This is truly a special car and a very close community. Congratulations on a successful outcome!

Michia and Michel working on Mother Goose his NSX....

Attachments

• mischa_michel.jpg
    mischa_michel.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 317
Mother Goose his engine ready to be swapped in my NSX...

Attachments

• engineguus2.jpg
    engineguus2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 322
This is an amazing story, especialy if you have followed it from the touching threads of Guss's last days and his car's heart beats in anothers body, his friends!Great stuff and tribute.

Finally...

It feels like a hart transplant...

Attachments

• engineguus_in_gerardnsx 1.jpg
    engineguus_in_gerardnsx 1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 196
Back