Detailing Day in New York- Any Interest?

Hi Miléd,

Strongly agree with you that cars should be cool and in the shade when washed outdoors. That is our recommendation for washing the car and is our practice as much as possible. I think what Matt was getting at is that we don't always have the luxury of washing a cool car or being in the shade so he developed the Paintwork Shampoo to allow for washing the car in the sun which happens more often than not. So he added a safety factor into the shampoo for the masses.

At his shop during the summers, they do wash it outside in the sun since they savor the sun as much as they can in NY due to the harsh winters ( was there last January and boy was it cold, yikes.). They also are constantly working on the cars while it is out there so as not to create any waterspots and to get the cars into the shop ASAP. Matt knows the delicate balance and always uses caution as it is more of an art than science sometimes.

For winters, we wash the car inside the garage, right by the entrance (there is a slope down the driveway and out the garage door (we do get a nice ice skating rink sometimes). There is a pressure wash fitting on the right as you walk into the garage door. Mystery exposed.

By the way, you'd fit in great at the shop since I've never heard Matt compliment someone like he did you on your detailing and fastidious nature.

Mike, glad to hear that you agree with Miled and me, we were quite concerned about all the washing of hot surfaced cars in the sun. I still feel that it's a better way to go if you can wash in the shade, and not leave it to product formulation to bail you out. That being said, it appears that the wash product did work well, I wonder if it would have been different had the car surface been hot, and the temperature was in the 80's (unfortunately, it wasn't). I think that Miled would be a fine addition to your NY staff while he is temporarily out of work in his field. No one cares about fine cars, and is more passionate about how they should be taken care of than he is. While generally speaking the old saying that "you can't teach an old dog........" is usually true, I think that a few of us "old dogs" learned a few new tricks on Sunday. I hope that you plan on putting together some "packages" for the NSXPO attendees, as I know that I'm interested in purchasing a few of the products that we used. Your shop was immaculate (before we got to work), and Matt was super. I apologize if somehow I was misinterpreted, I enjoyed myself despite the fact that I thought the event would be different than it was. The people there were all enjoying themselves and we all benefitted by being there. Again, I look forward to meeting you, and seeing Matt again next week- Regards Roger

Look forward to meeting you all at NSXPO and checking out your NSX's. I am shipping more products for the event and we'll be giving away a Car Wash Kit, Paint Reconditioning Kit and a few other goodies (Larry B. taking car of the drawing for those).

Miled, I'll chat with Matt to check their needs as winter starts to roll in.

TonyD said:
Bob, it seems like cleaning your own car was a new experienc for you. But now that you had first hand experience I'm sure you can handle doing this yourself on a regular basis... :D

Sure he can, just as long as the Westchester is around the corner from his office, he can reach his hand into his wallet and have his car cleaned, on a regular basis!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RPM217 said:
Sure he can, just as long as the Westchester is around the corner from his office, he can reach his hand into his wallet and have his car cleaned, on a regular basis!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Old habits are hard to break.......

NSXLNT said:
Miled, at least those fingerprints weren't cream cheese...............
Someone walked up to that 360 and wiped only ½ the amount off?
299.gif
Oh, I’m not feeling so good right now…
30.gif

RSO 34 said:
Fine by me. Are you sure that Miled, Keith, Roger and Tony are all available on a weekly basis?
At your service…:D

white93nsx said:
Hi Miléd,

Strongly agree with you that cars should be cool and in the shade when washed outdoors. …By the way, you'd fit in great at the shop since I've never heard Matt compliment someone like he did you on your detailing and fastidious nature. …Miled, I'll chat with Matt to check their needs as winter starts to roll in.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your consideration, open-minded and informative responses. I am always open to new suggestions and ways of doing things. Matt presented some invaluable points and I was all ears. I look forward to meeting you and learning more about your products and cleaning tips.

RPM217 said:
I think that Miled would be a fine addition to your NY staff while he is temporarily out of work in his field. No one cares about fine cars, and is more passionate about how they should be taken care of than he is. While generally speaking the old saying that "you can't teach an old dog........" is usually true, I think that a few of us "old dogs" learned a few new tricks on Sunday. …Regards Roger
Hi Roger,

I appreciate the kind words. It appears to be obvious by now that everyone who has crossed paths with me (either through local and/or regional events) seem to pick up on one or more common themes, and they are:
  • I am fanatic about detailing, cleanliness, and appearance of cars
  • I possess great work ethics
  • I feel great satisfaction from helping others
  • Do not care much for bling, especially on an NSX
How did I become this way? Well, when I was 9 years old, my parents contributed to a couple of these things early in my life:
  • My dad put me in charge of maintaining (washing exterior and cleaning interior) of his behemoth Plymouth station wagon!
  • My mom put me in charge of helping her with house chores (cleaning house, doing laundry, etc.)
I was always the one to say, “I’ll help you…”, “I’ll take care of it…”, “I’ll clean it…”, “I’ll fix it…”, or “I’ll volunteer”. That, along with the strict and always-be-respectful-to-others upbringing, and the additional military discipline instilled in me plays a large, and hopefully a positive role in the way I am as a person today. I am forever grateful to my parents, for the love they have given me, and continue to do so today.

I must say, there was one incident that involved my dad and my NSX. Tony DeJoie and Larry Gauthier are well aware of what I am referring to.;) To fill you all in, my car was parked at my parent’s house (outside on the driveway) covered with several inches of snow (I’m getting dizzy just typing this!).:D My dad, being the wonderful man he is, decided to do me a favor by wiping the snow that had accumulated off of my NSX. Not having a single detailing gene in his bloodstream, he took an old shop rag (you know, the type gas stations use?) and began wiping off the snow in a side to side manner. When he finally reached the end, much of the snow underneath had frozen on the car. This was nighttime, and as cold as it was, he managed to remove (I call it scrape) all the ice off the car! He proudly called me later that night to tell me what he had accomplished. I suddenly had this concern that somehow he shouldn’t have done that, and a cloud over my head said OH OH!!! I get to my parent’s house as quickly as I can and aim straight to the car! My initial reaction was
49.gif
, then
37.gif
, then
45.gif
, then
329.gif
, and finally
91.gif
. Upon closer inspection, there were scratches on every single panel of my car! All I could say over and over again was, "I love my father, I love my father, I love my father!!!":D I called Larry G. (210 miles away) and informed him and Tony of what had transpired, and that I needed to see them right away! The ride would normally take 3 hours… this time, I made it in just over 2! I pulled into the 2nd garage (next to where Larry and Tony were working on another NSX) and all they could hear me say throughout the night as I removed hundreds of scratch marks off my car was, "I love my father, I love my father, I love my father!!!":D So there you have it.

Ciao... Miléd

Last edited:
SennaPerfected said:
"I love my father, I love my father, I love my father!!!":D So there you have it.

Ciao... Miléd

Great story. :D

Last edited:
Detailing Day Video

Gentlemen,

Pete from the G-Squad emailed me to inform me there is a video of the detailing day so you can see all your mugs on film. Oh yeah, and also your cars.

Here is the link. It's about 12 minutes and over 3gigs so use high speed if you can but it's well worth it.

http://www.exit3.net/vids/detaildynamics_1.wmv

Back