Confirmed: Replacement will be Front Engine setup.

Re: simple reiteration...

Osiris_x11 said:
All I can confirm is that the Honda/Acura sportscar will use engine-oil, have (4) wheels/tires, and cause some sort of controversy(otherwise it wouldn't be a Honda/Acura ;) )

Yup- everything else is just speculation--- again... But it is good to know Honda has some folks working on this.

I try not to put too much faith in those who claim to have had a revealing future NSX discussion with some Honda employee, after all remember this article?

What I will say, is that Spinners source appears legit, but we are still coming out not really knowing anything.

my chips are still on a front engined SH-AWD halo :wink:

Not all Ferrari's are mid engine... :) I would say the 550M is one of my favorites design wise, so perhaps not all is lost.

I'm sure whatever they come up with will be fantastic...sure, we'd like to see it close to the lines of the current car, but maybe they have something better in store for us. (front engine also means more room in the back for golf clubs, etc.) lol

Either way, I am sure they will come up with something grand and worthy of being a successor to the NSX. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on the skinny, Spinner. I am excited to see what they come up with.

If your friend's design does not get picked, can you post pics of the sketches or models later on when all is said and done?

I'm not concerned about the engineering. Honda has proven their abilities to deliver results to me many times over.

I would think the next one will not be an exact successor to the NSX, as for Honda to badge it like that the successor is truely going to need to be every bit as revolutionary as the first, which is not likely being somewhat of an intractable problem.. Like the S2000 (which initially came about from the S800) it shared near zero in common in terms of engineering with its predesessor. It was left to stand on its own merits.

However, engineering is not the issue with such a move. They have FE cars in JGTC that I'm sure feel fantastic to drive. My point would be that moving to a FE layout, that would be a marketing mistake IMO state side even at lower price points, and suicide at the top-most price points. Personally, I'm not spending mid to high figures plus on anything with an engine in the front no matter how far back and low they place it... and neither would most owners as is evident by sales figures on cars just like the 550 which tend to fill weird market niches. Even sub 100K, as much as I like the S2000, it really doesn't need a bigger brother at 3X the price.

In the expected price range for the next generation NSX, it will fit right along side Gallardos, GT40s, 911TT's, etc... which are all very healthy from a performance perspective. This is a very competitive price point with a lot of established players with deep wallets.

Sorry to disappoint, but IMO the price point and performance is likely going to be lower, not higher than expected. On par with the Nissan GTR. A conservative approach true to Honda's approach to automotive design. I can't wait to buy it.

MoreRPMs said:
Off goes Honda with their tale between their legs. Just like in Formula 1. "We can't compete with F430 or RWD Gallardo, let's target the POS Corvette."

What a bunch of losers.

2nd that

ACCD

Wheelman said:
Either way, I am sure they will come up with something grand and worthy of being a successor to the NSX. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on the skinny, Spinner. I am excited to see what they come up with.

If your friend's design does not get picked, can you post pics of the sketches or models later on when all is said and done?

Absolutely. I'm just as curious as you are on what the successor is gonna look like.

wishful thinking, buttt...

MoreRPMs said:
Off goes Honda with their tale between their legs. Just like in Formula 1. "We can't compete with F430 or RWD Gallardo, let's target the POS Corvette."

What a bunch of losers.

Au'contrair! So far nuffin' is out in the open, why so hasty to show discontent? :smile:

Acura's lineup has the following voids and two of the three should be filled in the next 3-4yrs...

The market segment inclusive of: Lexus SC430, BMW M3/4 (forthcoming), Mercedes Benz CLK, Porsche Boxster & Cayman, Audi A4 Cabrio, Corvette C6... ($60k-$75k) does have an opening that might prove lucrative for a mass-produced, front-engine, premium mid-size sports/luxury coupe (ie. coupe-version of RL-platform -> "CL") for $10k-$15k less than closest competitor!

Also, the market segment inclusive of: Lexus LF-A (forthcoming), Infiniti GT-R (forthcoming), Maserati Cambiocorsa, BMW 6-series, Mercedes Benz CL, , Porsche 911 Carrera, Aston Martin V8_Vantage, Jaguar XK, Cadillac XLR-CV... ($85k-$110k) is very much a very desirable niche to offer an ultra-luxury, front-engine GT-coupe for $15k-$25k less than closest competitor!

Last, and surely not leasts the market segment inclusive of the exotic sportscars: Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes Benz SL_AMG, Porsche 911 Turbo, Aston Martin DB9, Dodge Viper (anomaly!) and Ford GT... ($145-$170k) is what all us enthusiasts are wishing/ hoping/ praying for, meaning lightweight, mid-engine exotic sportscar for $40k-$50k less than closest competitor!

Now, what do I personally desire?

Honda's set the standard for compact/economical practicality w/ the Civic. The Accord's been the benchmark for reliability/quality & value for decades. The Legend showed premium & style in an import sedan don't have to come across the Atlantic. The NSX rewrote the book of what an exotic, high-performance sportscar should be.

I aspire for the HSC/ NSX-replacement/ etc' to be an ultra-lightweight, ultra high-performance exotic super-sportscar rivalling any & all under $450k (ie. Ferrari 599 GTB & 612 Scaglietti, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes Benz SLR, Porsche Carrera_GT, Pagani Zonda, Aston Martin Vanquish)! This would entail obviously an ultra-lightweight structure using rare composite materials, phenomenal aerodynamics w/ active-spoilers, F1-derived V10 optimally tuned in a mid-engine layout, swept-doors ( :D ), space-bred ceramic brakes, clutchess-gearbox controls, all-in-all pinnacle-engineering concepts implemented into a single automobile for $145k-$155k!

Even if production/demand is 500-750/globally at most, so be it. Atleast make it something worthwhile & memorable, just as the NSX had it's moment in history. It just means many of us will have to eat cream-of-wheat/powdered-milk, live w/ our parents/in-laws, and bike/jog to the mass-transit depot for a few years! ;)

{Nota Bene: It's my post, I can dream all I want... :tongue: }

Maybe Honda will release some information about the next NSX at NSXPO this year. Having a captive audience of current NSX owners is a geat route for them take.

Last edited:
Spinner said:
Uhm. Actually he doesn't know I frequent this site, hence the info.:biggrin:

if he does work for honda design, he signed a non disclosure agreement, and you better hope nobody finds out..... cause he'll be movin in with ya and you won't be able to say no :tongue:

John@Microsoft said:
I Even sub 100K, as much as I like the S2000, it really doesn't need a bigger brother at 3X the price.

Yeah, good point.

On the flip side, it will make our cars even more valuable. :biggrin:

Synthesis said:
if he does work for honda design, he signed a non disclosure agreement, and you better hope nobody finds out..... cause he'll be movin in with ya and you won't be able to say no :tongue:

They're gonna have a hard time pinning down the culprit. All I mentioned is what school he went to....fortunetly for him, 80% of the designers there went to the same school :biggrin: :biggrin:

>>let's target the POS Corvette

Is that the POS that does zero to sixty MPH in 3.5 seconds? The POS that has won their class at LeMans 5 out of the past 6 years? Or the POS that retails for HALF what a new NSX costs?

Just wondering.

BTW, if Honda made a LeMans winning car that got to sixty 1.5 seconds quicker than the current NSX and cost less to boot, I guess you would call it a POS, eh?

>>Even if production/demand is 500-750/globally at most

Ferrari and Porsche have no trouble selling 4-5,000 vehicles per year, and GM sells 30,000 Corvetttes.

Why do you think Honda is limited to a fraction of that volume?

depends which niche'

Soichiro said:
>>Even if production/demand is 500-750/globally at most

Ferrari and Porsche have no trouble selling 4-5,000 vehicles per year, and GM sells 30,000 Corvetttes.

Why do you think Honda is limited to a fraction of that volume?

In the context that I made that statement, I was imploring for a $150k'ish Honda ultra-lightweight, ultra high-performance exotic supercar akin to the Porsche Carrera_GT's & Enzo Ferrari's... not F430's & Gallardo's. Such a car would be limited volume w/o a doubt. It's all too elementary as to why (ie. name/prestige notoreity). There are only so many Ken Sax'es around! ;)

An $85k-$105k Honda exotic sportscar competing w/ the likes of the F430, Gallardo, Porsche Turbo, and Ford GT would obviously have higher volume of sales than 500-750/units.

Soichiro said:
>>let's target the POS Corvette

Is that the POS that does zero to sixty MPH in 3.5 seconds? The POS that has won their class at LeMans 5 out of the past 6 years? Or the POS that retails for HALF what a new NSX costs?

Just wondering.

BTW, if Honda made a LeMans winning car that got to sixty 1.5 seconds quicker than the current NSX and cost less to boot, I guess you would call it a POS, eh?

One can strap a jet engine to a turd. Does that make it anything but a fast POS?

With a screen name like that I expected a little more thinking out of the box.

Spinner said:
How do I know? Just got the news from my friend (former classmate) who's on the NSX design team. In other words, he's one of the designers working on it. He's down here in the L.A. studio. That's all he's willing to tell. But his coworker (also an automotive designer for Honda) confirmed it, but told me it was pretty damn cool looking.

All in all he's still a little upset over the decision for the placement, but he said: "Well, you make the best of it." I tried convincing him to let me take a peak at some sketches, but that was a no go.:redface: :tongue:

Plus, all he could add to the info was: "Forget all the sketches you've seen floating around the internet" None of them were done in-house.

hope they dont get an ok with front engine

Nsx Heritage, I thought that in 1995 an NSX won Le Mans on the GT2 Class, please correct me if i'm wrong ... nsx had a win under the belt didn't?

http://histoire.lemans.org/ACO/Year/ficheclassfin.php3?lg=eng&action=fiche&num=6248&kwd=1995&d=8&l=15&ctb=1

1995.JPG

Oscar

I'm sure this is just a new car Honda is coming out with and not a replacement. The NSX replacement would have to be done all in house, and if you let any information leak out you would have to perform Hari Kiri on yourself. :wink:

Re: wishful thinking, buttt...

Osiris_x11 said:
Now, what do I personally desire?

Honda's set the standard for compact/economical practicality w/ the Civic. The Accord's been the benchmark for reliability/quality & value for decades. The Legend showed premium & style in an import sedan don't have to come across the Atlantic. The NSX rewrote the book of what an exotic, high-performance sportscar should be.

I aspire for the HSC/ NSX-replacement/ etc' to be an ultra-lightweight, ultra high-performance exotic super-sportscar rivalling any & all under $450k (ie. Ferrari 599 GTB & 612 Scaglietti, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes Benz SLR, Porsche Carrera_GT, Pagani Zonda, Aston Martin Vanquish)! This would entail obviously an ultra-lightweight structure using rare composite materials, phenomenal aerodynamics w/ active-spoilers, F1-derived V10 optimally tuned in a mid-engine layout, swept-doors ( :D ), space-bred ceramic brakes, clutchess-gearbox controls, all-in-all pinnacle-engineering concepts implemented into a single automobile for $145k-$155k!

Even if production/demand is 500-750/globally at most, so be it. Atleast make it something worthwhile & memorable, just as the NSX had it's moment in history. It just means many of us will have to eat cream-of-wheat/powdered-milk, live w/ our parents/in-laws, and bike/jog to the mass-transit depot for a few years! ;)

{Nota Bene: It's my post, I can dream all I want... :tongue: }

I'll Second that.
Me To!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am waiting, if they make me wait to long I may have an F word to deal with.

demigod said:
I'm sure this is just a new car Honda is coming out with and not a replacement. The NSX replacement would have to be done all in house, and if you let any information leak out you would have to perform Hari Kiri on yourself. :wink:

No, he said it was specificaly the NSX replacement. And yes, its all done in-house. The Supra, Rx-7, Rx-8, Carrera GT, Audi R8, current Nissan GT-R and current Lexus LF-A were all done on a global level. Basicaly, if the car is going to be sold globably, all the studios will take a crack of it.

The FD Rx-7 for example was mainly done here...all the noticeable highlights (double bubble, tinted tailights) came from the Irvine Mazda studio, then the rest was finalized in Japan. Mazda's Rx-7 is equivelant to Honda's NSX...you'd also think that they'd just keep it under wraps in Japan, but all the Mazda studios got involved. When my friend at Mazda took for a quick tour of the studio, they had the clay buck and presentation posters all dating back to 1989 of the Rx-7.

You could definetly find the design details the American studio was responsible for....

Another perfect example is the Enzo. The enzo was designed by Pininfarina, but specificaly by Ken Okuyama. He was our chair person for the Transportation Design dept. at that time for Art Center in Pasadena. None of the students had clue that even as a chairperson for a school, he was still the main designer for Pininfarina. I remember the look on his face when one of my classmates confronted him with in early spy picture of the Enzo. It seemed like he just saw a ghost. He kept asking him where he found it.

The connection was made by earlier concept sketches of the Rossa with Ken's signature in each drawing....for a flagship model such as the Enzo, I too thought that they'd only allow work to be done in their main Milan studio........guess not.

That's very interesting, if Honda got two prototype running in circles in Japan, that means the car has already been desinged. If the car is due for 08 release, that means the spy photos should be out by early next year, be ready for the Geneva/Tokyo auto show.

Re: wishful thinking, buttt...

Even Audi !!!!!!! is going to a mid-engine car.

Back